RMT The Wheel of Time

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Hi, everyone!
Here's a team I built a while ago based on one of my favorite book series, The Wheel of Time. If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend it, but that's not why I made this thread.
Pokémon Showdown rules apply; all the clauses and such, as well as Level 100.
The Team at a Glance
garchomp.gif
arcanine.gif
umbreon.gif
gardevoir-mega.gif
blastoise.gif
scizor.gif

Movesets:

garchomp.gif

Rand (Garchomp-M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Naive Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast

Representing the Dragon Reborn, Garchomp is designed to take out any one (more if possible) Pokémon, with a combination of Focus Sash and wide coverage. Because of Focus Sash, I don't see a need for max Speed, hence the Adamant Nature. I could use Iron Head over Poison Jab, but I prefer Poison Jab in testing.
Criteria if the Pokémon is changed:
-Dragon-type

arcanine.gif

Perrin (Arcanine-M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 Def
-Will-O-Wisp
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Morning Sun

EVs set so it can 2HKO a Specially Defensive Heatran after Leftovers with Close Combat. Does require a bit of predicting, since most Heatran will be able to Earth Power Arcanine otherwise.
Otherwise, fairly standard Defensive set.
-Canine-based

umbreon.gif

Mat (Umbreon-M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Calm Nature
EVs: 248 HP, 8 Def, 252 SpD
-Foul Play
-Toxic
-Heal Bell
-Moonlight

Sort of a multipurpose wall - if Arcanine or Blastoise is Knocked Out, Umbreon can stand in as another wall for either side. Foul Play is because Taunt exists, Heal Bell is because Umbreon doesn't like poison, and I think everything else is standard.
Could have any of the following characteristics:
-Relative to luck in some way
-Relative to the moon
-Relative to foxes or a similar animal
-Appears to wear a hat

gardevoir-mega.gif

Egwene (Gardevoir-F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace (Pixilate after Mega Evolving)
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
-Psyshock
-Hyper Voice
-Taunt
-Focus Blast

A fast Special Attacker, which can potentially sweep if all threats are removed. Focus Blast is nice because Heatran is otherwise a pretty much perfect counter, Taunt is as per scattered mind's suggestion, and Psyshock and Hyper Voice are STAB.
-Psychic-type
-Can't be Alakazam

blastoise.gif

Bayle Domon (Blastoise-M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
Calm Nature
EVs: 248 HP, 8 SpA, 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
-Scald
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin

Blastoise without the Mega is a little underrated, as an Assault Vest gives it nice bulk while it Spins away all hazards. Scald and Rapid Spin are both obvious, btu the other two moves can be filled by any combination of Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Aura Sphere, etc. Dark Pulse and Ice Beam work best for me.
-None (Easily the most flexible, it's just a Spinner, and the one that seems to fit best)

scizor.gif

Lan (Scizor-M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Knock Off

Choice Band isn't always the go-to item for Scizor, but I think the raw power of a STAB, Technician, Choice Banded Bullet Punch from an Adamant Scizor is a force to be reckoned with. To most Pokémon that aren't physically Defensive, Knock Off will do enough damage to 2HKO, and OHKO in many cases.
U-turn over Bug Bite because it is Banded, and Superpower because for some reason Heatran thinks it walls Scizor.
-Physical Attacker

So that's the team! What do you think can be done to improve it?

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hey Jabberwock, There are few things in my mind that I think would improve your team without hurting the concept:

1. Garchomp: Focus Sash Garchomp is a great lead in OU. Thanks to its ability to set up Stealth Rock while being a very good offensive Pokemon from the start.
Since Ferrothorn is a common lead as well many prefer to make Garchomp Naive nature and to have Fire Blast:

4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Stone Edge is a very good move on Garchomp and goes well with Earthquake for coverage. Poison Jab is not much necessary as Earthquake is enough to deal great damage to some of the most common Fairy types in OU like :

Diancie:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 230-272 (95.4 - 112.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 62-73 (25.7 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Belly Drum Azumarill:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 196-232 (53.8 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Poison Jab vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 212-250 (58.2 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Naive is preferable so you will have higher chances to set up Stealth Rock against Taunt users.

2. Gardevoir- Instead of Energy Ball I'd recommend you to have Taunt as it a great move to prevent the opponent to set up/ use status moves.
Hyper Voice+Psyshock+Focus Blast are enough to cover most threats against Mega Gardevoir.
Also, why the bulky set? I think that max speed with Timid nature is more viable to outrun many threats. On top of my mind- Bisharp ,either Adamant or Jolly outspeeds your set.

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 398-470 (117.4 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Thanks!
What do you think the exact moveset for Garchomp should be? Right now, it's Dragon Claw and Earthquake for STAB, and Fire Blast for Ferrothorn, and Rocks because hazards are good. But you also said Stone Edge was good coverage, so is it better than Fire Blast?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Stone Edge is a great move on Garchomp for a wider coverage while Fire Blast is a great move to lure Ferrothorn.

It is kind of a dilemma, but basically what I would do is to look at the other team members and see if they can cover each threat for each missing move on Grachomp.
For example how is your team deals with Ferrothorn if Garchomp has no Fire Blast?

252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: (82.3 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 SpA Blastoise Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: (12.5 - 14.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: (67.6 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 472-556 (134 - 157.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While Scizor and Mega Gardevoir are not the best answers to Ferrothorn ( Scizor gets locked and drops its attack and defense forcing him to switch out. and Mega Gardevoir gets OHKO'd by Gyro Ball -plus both of them cannot OHKO ) Arcanine does a great job to counter Ferrothorn. So dropping Fire Blast for Stone Edge can work fine.Although catching Ferrothorn of guard with Fire Blast can be very nice.

So anyway:

* Stone Edge is a great coverage move against things like Volcarona and Talonflame.
* Fire Blast is a move aimed to lure Ferrothorn to stay in and sometimes even prevent it from setting Stealth Rock.

* Arcanine can deal with Ferrothorn allowing Garchomp to have Stone Edge
* Arcanine is predictable. Ferrothorn in most cases would switch out. As he has nothing against it and can use Protect to scout if you are switching out or staying with Arcanine.

Next you can test your team with another common threat like Volcarona ( How is my team deals with Volcarona if Garchomp has no Stone Edge?) etc.. Very fun process and lets you be better prepared for many threats in OU.

Oh and a little thing I forgot to add in my earlier post: If you are going for Stone Edge, make Garchomp Jolly nature and not Naive. Although I'm sure you understand that, but just to make it clear :]

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I've been going with Stone Edge and Fire Blast in recent battles instead of Dragon Claw. It works much better and Dragon Claw isn't that necessary in my opinion.
Here's how it functions (Garchomp isn't very prominent in the video, but oh well):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-238554403
Thanks, scattered mind!