Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

I believe the commercial pretty much confirmed that the shinies are reprints :/

Wasn't that expected anyway? That's how the shinies were done in BW and even CoL, and there's even more recent precedent with the Shiny Rayquaza EX promotion. Not to say that I wouldn't have welcomed shinies as brand new cards, but I think reprints is what most people assumed anyway.

Yay for clean artwork! Regular Sceptile EX is pretty boring, but I love the look of the M Sceptile EX card. <3

OMG is freaking OP MSceptile it seems a Fake Card. Two Energies, 100 Damage, attach 2 [G] Energies to 1 (or 2!!!) of your Pokémon and....HEAL ALL THE DAMAGE!!!!!

Are they crazy or it is only me???

I hope Regice have HA, because in BW Registeel and Regigigas had an EX, and now Regirock has a HA Promo, so Regice is quite alone in a corner hugging its knees and crying. No one think in Regice?:(

Hmm, M-Sceptile provides a useful way around bat-sniping. And M-Latios, for that matter. Won't be so good against OHKO decks, though, and 100 damage isn't ideal for a Mega...I can see it as a M-Manectric alternative for grass types- maybe Venusaur EX?

Also Sceptile-EX/Victreebel could be an incredibly fun/irritating deck.

Wasn't that expected anyway? That's how the shinies were done in BW and even CoL, and there's even more recent precedent with the Shiny Rayquaza EX promotion. Not to say that I wouldn't have welcomed shinies as brand new cards, but I think reprints is what most people assumed anyway.

Yup.. I guess that's true ...

I'm impressed at how unreal those attacks are! In expanded format you just play a Hypnotoxic laser and "BaNg!" 170 damage! with Muscle band... Not to mention virbank... But M Sceptile! The attack is So OP! It is pretty much: "You either 1-KO me or you're out!" I can't wait to see how broken the next cards will be :) And that's very very nice to see :)

oh, we essentially have all the grass pokemon for this set now:

1. Oddish
2. Gloom
3. Vileplume
4. Spinarak
5. Ariados
6. N/A (but I'm guessing blossom?)
7. Sceptile EX
8. M Sceptile EX
9. N/A
10.N/A
11.N/A
12.Virizion

I'm guessing Cottonee and Whimsicott are 10/11...if they are grass

oh, we essentially have all the grass pokemon for this set now:

1. Oddish
2. Gloom
3. Vileplume
4. Spinarak
5. Ariados
6. N/A (but I'm guessing blossom?)
7. Sceptile EX
8. M Sceptile EX
9. N/A
10.N/A
11.N/A
12.Virizion

I'm guessing Cottonee and Whimsicott are 10/11...if they are grass

Bellossom would be straight after Vileplume, evolutions are kept together unless the type changes.

it seems a Fake Card
SCEPTI-cal?

Ha.
Anyway, I love this card. Jack of all trades, master of none, as starters are meant to be. This leads me to think the rotation will be XY-on (if that is still up in the air I don't know) as it has a bunch of effects that are rotating (Hypnotoxic Laser, super-Virizion, Built-in excel).

OMG is freaking OP MSceptile it seems a Fake Card. Two Energies, 100 Damage, attach 2 [G] Energies to 1 (or 2!!!) of your Pokémon and....HEAL ALL THE DAMAGE!!!!!

Are they crazy or it is only me???

Card is good, but not OP or broken

Well, a Grass Type Mega Manectric-EX, but stronger. Sure, it doesn't get free retreat and it attaches from the hand instead of the discard, but did they really think that this was a smart idea? I'm fine with Mega's being playable, but if they want to make something playable, they should do something in a similar vein to Mega Aggron-EX or Mega Gallade-EX. Those cards are much more balanced.

Wonderful! I can update my rating now for M-Sceptile EX and add a new one for Sceptile EX while I'm at it.

Sceptile EX
Artwork: Blegh. The promo Sceptile EX looks just as bad. Its Eske Yoshinob artwork so enough said. 2/10

Card text: A significant improvement over the promo version. Ability to poison and cheaper attack that does more damage with less drawback. I don't know how they determine to balance these cards, but this Sceptile EX is a card worthy of playing, even if it is just to bring out the amazing M-Sceptile EX. 7/10

Overall: 4.5/10 God it looks ugly but at least its good.

M-Sceptile EX
Artwork: 5-ban graphics has been in a weird place for me since it started back in BW. 3d rendering models is neat but for Pokemon it looks really unnatural and forced. The best part of the artwork is the Jagged Saber text. M Sceptile EX is also just in a super weird position where I can't even be sure if its tail is connected or not (I know he can fire his tail like a cannon but if that is what the card was showing, they could have made it easier to tell with a better perspective). 5/10

Card text: What I said before, but now with Theta-stop to prevent bat damage, among other pesky abilities out there. Great card, will definitely play in the future. With all the new grass type support, I can imagine lots of people will play it as well. 9/10

Overall: 7/10 Ugly card but could be redeemed by a beautiful full-art.

Card is good, but not OP or broken
You're right, MRay/Skyfield/Altaria is more broken, but... think about a T1 with a Turbo Energy and the energy for that turn. You have 2 free Max Potion, one for each Energy you attached to 2 Pokémon (not only [G] Pokémon no, any type!), and 100 damage is not a normal thing...

Wonderful! I can update my rating now for M-Sceptile EX and add a new one for Sceptile EX while I'm at it.

Sceptile EX
Artwork: Blegh. The promo Sceptile EX looks just as bad. Its Eske Yoshinob artwork so enough said. 2/10

Card text: A significant improvement over the promo version. Ability to poison and cheaper attack that does more damage with less drawback. I don't know how they determine to balance these cards, but this Sceptile EX is a card worthy of playing, even if it is just to bring out the amazing M-Sceptile EX. 7/10

Overall: 4.5/10 God it looks ugly but at least its good.

M-Sceptile EX
Artwork: 5-ban graphics has been in a weird place for me since it started back in BW. 3d rendering models is neat but for Pokemon it looks really unnatural and forced. The best part of the artwork is the Jagged Saber text. M Sceptile EX is also just in a super weird position where I can't even be sure if its tail is connected or not (I know he can fire his tail like a cannon but if that is what the card was showing, they could have made it easier to tell with a better perspective). 5/10

Card text: What I said before, but now with Theta-stop to prevent bat damage, among other pesky abilities out there. Great card, will definitely play in the future. With all the new grass type support, I can imagine lots of people will play it as well. 9/10

Overall: 7/10 Ugly card but could be redeemed by a beautiful full-art.

My basic idea for a new Grass type deck (baring new releases) is something like:

M Venusaur EX
M Sceptile EX
Venomoth PHF
Draglagee FLF
Giant Plant Forest

Basic idea is to set up M Venusaur, disrupt your opponent with Venomoth, then lock the opponents Pokemon in play Poisoned and Confused with Crisis Vine and Dragalgee. Retreating essentially becomes a 50/50 chance for them with Venomoth.

Very Pokemon/Energy intensive, but given we could be seeing an Item-light format appear it could work out.

Back