Charizard Y

hawk45678

Lucario is love, Lucario is Life
Hey, I am looking to get into competitive VGC and I have done some battles and made some teams on Showdown, but I found that I couldn't find a team that I liked that had synergy. This is why I came here. I had used Charizard Y in some battles on Showdown and I really liked this pokemon and its raw power and decent speed, but I couldn't really find a support pokemon for it. I tried Meowstic-M, Heat Rotom, and Wash Rotom, but I found Meowstic too weak and Rotom I just plain didn't like. I would like it if someone could point me in the right direction either in a pokemon or a general idea of what I should be looking for in a Charizard Y support pokemon. Thanks in advance.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
With Charizard Y you could pair it with Venasuar. Venusaur with Chlorophyll is able to outpace much of the metagame from the sun that Charizard Y brings and can either strike hard with Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb or put an enemy to sleep. Venusaur's typing makes it work so well since Charizard is weak to rock and water.

Another thing to try with it can include Cresselia that knows Icy Wind and Helping Hand. Turn 1 you would Protect with Charizard while Cresselia uses Icy Wind to lower the foes speed. The next turn you'll Mega Evolve Charizard and do Heat Wave and have Cresselia use Helping Hand to further boost the damage.

Huckinator

Aspiring Trainer
Definitely a spinner. Thunderus is a great prankster user to slow down some enemies with thunder wave. Also chlorophyll venasaur with 80 speed evs out speeds everything in the sun.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Definitely a spinner. Thunderus is a great prankster user to slow down some enemies with thunder wave. Also chlorophyll venasaur with 80 speed evs out speeds everything in the sun.

There is no reason to run a spinner in VGC. Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are virtually nonexistent.