Art Gallery Light's Designs - Cards, Drawings, and Fakemon

:O She doesn't have the accent on 'Pokemon'! Oh no!

I am quite excited for this set if you've now got a theme! Do you have a name or is that coming later?

I've been working on it; I played with the idea of making two mini-sets, but I decided against it in the end when I couldn't make the new set's blanks work to my satisfaction. But no, I don't have a name defined yet.

This is but an advance of what is to come (hopefully).

gardevoirite_zpsmrv0v2wv.png
altarianite_zpsag4c0rmp.png
ampharosite_zpsuxe5kzrd.png

Last edited:
*Le Gasp*
What? Good thing any of these won't have Theta DOuble... Imagine this and the spirit link... Brr... Terrifying thought... (Unless the Megas will be completely unplayable, that is).

*Le Gasp*
What? Good thing any of these won't have Theta DOuble... Imagine this and the spirit link... Brr... Terrifying thought... (Unless the Megas will be completely unplayable, that is).

Well, this set is mostly self-contained, and my megas work as Lv X's anyway, so spirit link just doesn't exist here, since you don't lose a turn by mega evolving your pokemon.

I don't know how unbalanced these cards are, though.

Well, this set is mostly self-contained, and my megas work as Lv X's anyway, so spirit link just doesn't exist here, since you don't lose a turn by mega evolving your pokemon.

I don't know how unbalanced these cards are, though.
I the following case, I think they are just like Level Ball for Megas, only in tool form.

They're like the Level MAX card from (I think) the Arceus expansion. Flip a coin and search and evolve to a Lv.X. This one removes the flip, but requires using up the tool slot and restricts it to one Pokemon. I think it's fine, but maybe a bit underpowered actually. I think you'd be fine just making them regular items, but that's not exactly flavorful with the games.

They're like the Level MAX card from (I think) the Arceus expansion. Flip a coin and search and evolve to a Lv.X. This one removes the flip, but requires using up the tool slot and restricts it to one Pokemon. I think it's fine, but maybe a bit underpowered actually. I think you'd be fine just making them regular items, but that's not exactly flavorful with the games.

I didn't know it was done before for the Lv.X pokemon. I don't know if I should like that there is a precedent, or dislike that I'm not as original as I thought.

Regardless. Underpowered, you say? I didn't make them items, as you thought, because of how it is in the games, but also because of the importance I want to give to Tools in my expansion, and the introduction of the megastones marking them as the most important tools. Any suggestions on how I could make them more balanced, while keeping them as tools? perhaps a free energy from the hand to the pokemon? I already removed the coinflip, which was, I feel, the worst part of the level MAX card.

Maybe I could remove the 1-per-deck limit? with several megastones per deck, it could make easier to get a M pokemon set up, and you could leave the rest for the rest of my pokemon who benefit from having any pokemon tools attached, which there are a lot.

Also, what ever happened to the trainer cards that were places or situations? (like pokemon breeder fields, or one of my favorites, Good manners) is now every trainer that isn't a supporter, tool or stadium an item?

For example, if I have these:

Lumiose Café
Heal 20 damage from each Pokémon in play (yours and your opponent’s).
Yes, yes, I know it's a copy of Erika's kindness; I adore that card.

Pokémon Daycare
Both you and your opponent may search your decks for a Stage 1 card that evolves from one of your Pokémon and put it on top of that Pokémon (this counts as evolving that Pokémon). Each player must shuffle his or her deck afterward.

Would they have to be turned into stadiums, since now all non-specific trainer cards are, by default, item cards?

Your options for keeping them as tools are a bit limited. You could include a secondary effect with the card (ie. The Pokemon this card is attached to ignores resistance, Abilities or other effects on the Defending Pokemon). You could individually make them as you want. This probably is the best route as it will let your creativity shine further.

Part of the issue with tools is that you need to make the opportunity cost for skipping a different tool worthwhile. As it stands, I don't think I'd play the Mega Stones as tools because I can use a supporter or trainer card to search for the mega evolution, making the stone worthless, and frees up my tool slot for something like Muscle Band.

Regarding your trainer cards, I believe they would both best fit as Stadium cards in the current sets due to a lack of precedent with places.

I didn't know it was done before for the Lv.X pokemon. I don't know if I should like that there is a precedent, or dislike that I'm not as original as I thought.

Why not the best of both worlds? You were creative for thinking them up on your own without knowing about the precedent, and in fact it's so realistic that it actually does exist. And to add a flavour-related cherry on top of an already delicious cake, your idea makes use of an established, in-universe item (the mega stones) as opposed to... some weird made-up thing just for the TCG ("Spirit Links"? Really?).

Your options for keeping them as tools are a bit limited. You could include a secondary effect with the card (ie. The Pokemon this card is attached to ignores resistance, Abilities or other effects on the Defending Pokemon). You could individually make them as you want. This probably is the best route as it will let your creativity shine further.

Part of the issue with tools is that you need to make the opportunity cost for skipping a different tool worthwhile. As it stands, I don't think I'd play the Mega Stones as tools because I can use a supporter or trainer card to search for the mega evolution, making the stone worthless, and frees up my tool slot for something like Muscle Band.

Regarding your trainer cards, I believe they would both best fit as Stadium cards in the current sets due to a lack of precedent with places.

I'd like to make the M pokemon able to be searched only through the megastones, but I'm not sure how that could be done.

But I love the idea of giving each megastone a bonus that only works when attached to the mega. I'll remove the limiting clause and see if I can fit the extra text.
I'm thinking of...
Gardevoirite - If this card is attached to M gardevoir, all of M gardevoir's attacks do 20 more damage to [D] and [Dr] pokemon (after applying weakness and resistance).
Ampharosite - If this card is attached to M ampharos, M ampharos isn't affected by any abilities from your opponent's pokemon.
Altarianite - If this card is attached to M altaria, all damage done to M altaria by your opponent's attacks is reduced by 20.

Why not the best of both worlds? You were creative for thinking them up on your own without knowing about the precedent, and in fact it's so realistic that it actually does exist. And to add a flavour-related cherry on top of an already delicious cake, your idea makes use of an established, in-universe item (the mega stones) as opposed to... some weird made-up thing just for the TCG ("Spirit Links"? Really?).

Okay!
Spirit links are, indeed, stupid. Megastones have more style.

Last edited:
And after I left this thread with such a small sample of my wisdom, I return!

I've been finally having some time to continue my work with the cards (there's little new with the fakemon, I'm afraid, and I have some things to figure out still); I don't have much for now, just 10 cards... out of 46.

But, that's a minor detail! the set is, at long last, fully planned, and everything is in place for me to do the illustrations whenever I get a moment to do them, so, I'm officially presenting my set, Luminous Dreams!

Collection-logo_zpshnwdull9.png

I wanted to make a set that focused on pokemon tools as accessories, and I was inspired by the Radiant Collection to do a small (relatively speaking, of course; these things do tend to... escalate) set featuring pokemon that would find themselves at home on a stage, a runway, or that just have style, as perfect partners for the Tools. So I was left with these pokemon, for the most part; some didn't make the cut, but they were surprisingly few.
As well as introducing two fabulous Ancient traits, Phi Style and Phi Charm, this set makes heavy use of Tools, requiring them for attacks, facilitating their use with trainers and abilities, and quite obviously, the rightful stars of a set full of them, the Tool Megastones. I don't know if the cards are good, bad, overpowered, or consistent with the metagame, but really, all I care about is that the cards are consistent and balanced to each other; if even half the set is properly balanced, I'll be perfectly content.​

Normally, I would just place the spoilered image of the card, but my cards are large, photobucket is slow, full of ads, popups and all around dreadful to use, and my working methods are far too chaotically organized for it to handle me, so in order to streamline things, I'll simply include links to finished cards, or the spoilers themselves (just in case I never get to make the card) and in case there are corrections that need to be made. I'll update this list with links to the cards whenever I post a new card, since I still can't seem to post images from Google Drive as images.
And here it is, Luminous Dreams!

-REMOVED FOR RENOVATIONS-
REPOSTED FURTHER ON​

Last edited:
:O

Light's back!!! :D

Those are beautiful cards, especially the Petilil, Lilligant and Carbink. The blanks are as amazing as ever, and the art on all of them is phenomenal (wish I could do that myself :p).

I also love how the Gardevoir and Trendy Glasses have a loose synergy (assuming, of course, that these are the same Trendy Glasses that protected you, but not me, from Tyrantrum >_>).

Last note is that I'd suggest putting the Mega Stones over the holosheets, to make them stand out more. ^.^

Those are beautiful cards, especially the Petilil, Lilligant and Carbink. The blanks are as amazing as ever, and the art on all of them is phenomenal (wish I could do that myself :p).

Thanks! beating back my laziness is quite a challenge for me (as this whole thread can attest), but I really want to finish at least this set.
You're not losing much with the renders, believe me; being able to draw well is much more interesting than renders; it has much more attitude, while renders are fairly bland, and the perspective means you have to spend a lot of time doing extensive amounts of background; it's also so precise that the slightest flaw or mistake is very noticeable. My paper collage style (meloetta), however, is lovely, and very doable with photoshop.

I also love how the Gardevoir and Trendy Glasses have a loose synergy (assuming, of course, that these are the same Trendy Glasses that protected you, but not me, from Tyrantrum >_>).

I didn't notice that until you said it, but you're completely right! I actually thought gardevoir could be overpowered, since her power makes her attack quite powerful, but I was thinking about her having synergy with Cinccino for a very good protection. I think I might have gone just a little overboard with some possible combinations, hehe.

EDIT: thinking about it more, I changed Resplendent Aura from 40+ to 10x; it should work a little bit better now, while still being able to rise to fearsome amounts of damage.

Also, I wasn't thinking about it, but now I must use that design for the trendy glasses; they're actually my real glasses, so it all fits.

Last note is that I'd suggest putting the Mega Stones over the holosheets, to make them stand out more. ^.^

I'll see how it works; I believe I did try it, but didn't like it; I never was too fond of cards that separate the pokemon from the background for the holosheet. The alternative is to simply remove the holosheet. Do trainers still can be holographic these days? they used to, but I don't recall seeing one in quite some time.

As always, any mistakes, wording, or synergies you guys see, feel free to let me know; you know much more than I do of those things, and part of why I posted the spoilers was because I thought it best to show them to correct things before going to the trouble of making the cards, and then having to correct them, reupload them, etc.

Last edited:
:O

These are all so beautiful!

I'm just going to patch up the wording on Vulpix, though, assuming XY Wording:

"If the Defending Pokémon is a Stage 1 Pokémon, this attack does 10 more damage, and during your opponent's next turn, any damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 20 (before/after applying Weakness and Resistance). If the Defending Pokémon is a Stage 2 Pokémon, this attack does 20 more damage, and during your opponent's next turn, any damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 20 (before/after applying Weakness and Resistance).

Hope this helps, and I can't wait to see the rest of the set unfold!

EDIT: And while I'm here, Silk Scarf should read:

"The attacks of the Pokémon this card is attached to cost [C] less."

Thank you!

Vulpix is updated with the correction, and so is Silk Scarf; I think I'll get on doing some of the tools next; their renders shouldn't be too hard.

As always, any mistakes, wording, or synergies you guys see, feel free to let me know; you know much more than I do of those things, and part of why I posted the spoilers was because I thought it best to show them to correct things before going to the trouble of making the cards, and then having to correct them, reupload them, etc.

Uh-oh. Just as a disclaimer, there is a lot of words below! That doesn't mean I don't like your work (I really love it!!), I'm just procrastinating. :x

One ---> 1; Two ---> 2; etc
bench ---> Bench
Flip a coin, if tails ---> Flip a coin. If heads
Opponent/'s ---> opponent/'s ---> your opponent's Active Pokemon
Deck ----> deck
Each turn, you can flip a coin.; Once by turn ----> Once during your turn (before your attack), you may flip a coin.
At any point during your turn ---> During your turn (before your attack)
Can't be retreated ----> Can't retreat
On the previous turn ----> On your last turn
all damage done to this Pokemon ---> [...] this Pokemon by attacks
used Alight ---> used its Alight attack
Number ---> number
all ---> each of
pick ---> choose
Pokemon Tools ---> Pokemon Tool cards
Each time ---> Whenever

For Gardevoir, there lacks clarification on where these Pokemon are (i.e. in play).

Also, nifty effect for Dazzling Light! It is very fresh and uses an interesting design space. However, you may like to change it to be a "During your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, [...]", as otherwise your opponent can just not attack and using this attack would be really useless. Anyways, for the effect, you'd only be able to redirect damage, not effects, in the case you have any attacks causing Special Conditions or other void effects. So, I'd word it like this (Ref: Some old Rampardo):

Flip a coin. If heads, if this Pokémon is damaged by an attack during your opponent’s next turn, your opponent must flip a coin for each of his or her Benched Pokémon. If that coin flips is tails, that Pokémon is damaged by that attack instead of this Pokémon and stop flipping coins (don’t apply Weakness and Resistance to Benched Pokémon).

Multitalented should be worded as (Ref: Aegislash XY):

As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a Meloetta and switch it with this Pokémon. (Any cards attached to this Pokémon, damage counters, Special Conditions, turns in play, and any other effects remain on the new Pokémon). Shuffle your deck afterward.

Majestic Style should be worded as:

As long as this Pokémon is in play, your opponent’s Pokémon’s attacks cost [C][C] more as long as it has no Pokémon Tools attached to it. You can’t apply more than 1 Majestic Style Ability at a time.

In the aesthetics department, for the Trainers, you may like to lessen the holosheet prominence, as at the moment you can't really see the art. If possible, you should actually remove any holosheet that overlaps the mega stone itself, like you would if the holosheet is on a Pokemon.

(This probably ain't everything, but hey, I'm lazy. :x)

So... many... corrections.
fainting%20exhausted_zps0i6yhmgh.gif

My hands hurt.
Goodness, and this was for ten measly cards; I lost count of how many times I had to save a card, only to open it immediately afterwards.

But thanks for the corrections... I believe I updated everything, both here, in my source doc and in the cards I have done. I changed Dazzling Light, and I can't believe Multitalented was so simple; I had been struggling with the wording for years (it was one of my very first novel ideas for cards). I also changed Majestic Style and added the changes to Radiant Style.

Does the "pokemon tool CARDS" apply only in plural? I changed it in both cases, but since you only pointed the plural, and you're usually careful with those things, I would feel better asking.

And I removed the holosheet from the megastones; I'll figure something out later, or just leave them like that.

Sounds like my endeavors with my faking - I end up saving and exporting the card, only to realise I'm missing a symbol, have a wording error or something else; reexport it and then later someone else points out another mistake. I feel the pain. Dx

Pokemon Tool card and Pokemon Tool cards follow the same rule. For an example, this is the same with Ability and Abilities, Bench and Benched, and Energy card and Energy cards. General the plurality doesn't matter.

I updated the list with Swablu, Minccino, and Lady, as well as better wording for Cinccino.

I tried to use the lovely FIM graphic style for minccino and swablu, but there's something off, and I can't quite put my finger on it; I don't know if it's the outlines, the color variance, that the background has relatively little detail, or what, but if anyone notices what is off, please let me know; I have the feeling those two will get updated illustrations at some point in the future. But now, I must make other cards.

Also, I've been wanting to make something different with the megas; something new, anything. I like the whole "pokemon jumping out of the card" effect enough, but the renders are hard to adjust, and I've found that I rarely can make it so the pokemon doesn't obstruct important text. So far, I've been doing them like this:

MAmpharos_zpssyqjrega.png

I like them a lot, certainly more than the current megas with the attack in tacky japanese letters, but they seem too... pedestrian; too much like the regular cards; I thought some full art like the Ancient Trait cards could go well, but I don't really like the look of it either:

MEGAEVOLUTION-TEST_zpsltsowwbd.png

Now I'm thinking that perhaps I should play a lot with full-card holosheets, like they did on the radiant collection; what do you all think? you're more experienced with the nuances of making holographic, visually complex cards than I am; if possible, I'd like to not have to make a new template from scratch, and I've been thinking about not using renders for the illustrations, but I have a feeling I won't take that path; I already have mega gardevoir and mega ampharos done, so all I would need to do is mega altaria to get all the needed images.

Last edited:
I think Swablu's art looks pretty fine; maybe its wings are a little pointed. I think the tassels covering parts of Minccino are the parts that make it look off. Lady is, btw, blurry.

I personally like the M-Ampharos' style better. I do think there may be too many lightning bolts, which is one thing that may be also making it look pedestrian. You could fiddle around with the Mega symbol somehow. Perhaps placing it behind the art or even having it pop out.

Also, HQ fairy symbol and really good symbol font since the fairy symbol looking a bit blurry.

Back