RMT Volt-Turn Intimidate

mikebploz

Pyrotechnic
Hello Pokebeach! Just a heads-up, this is one of my first competitive OU teams. I've done some testing on my own and gotten up to around the 1350s on Showdown's ladder. Without further ado,

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Along with Manectric, the core pivot Pokemon. I'd imagine pretty much everyone knows about the threat of scarfed Landorus. I'm focusing mainly on its ability, intimidate, and a fast U-turn to do chip damage and safely switch into another team member. Of course, it can also attack when necessary, doing huge damage with EQ and superpower, and removing items with knock off. I can see why so many people use Landorus.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The other core pivot Pokemon, and typically the lead. Intimidating then volt switching away into Landorus for another intimidate would be the main idea, though Manectric can also pack a punch and provide coverage with its other moves. For example, HP Ice counters the electric-immune Ground types and hits dragon-type sweepers. Overheat can decimate bulky steel types and also act as a last resort attack. However, I'll mainly be using volt switch.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 148 HP / 116 Def / 244 SpA
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Lava Plume

Heatran's main purpose is to cover the huge ice weakness of Landorus and other team members, and provide special bulk while the opposing Pokemon's attack stat is dropped. Assault Vest boosts Heatran's already-high base Sp Def stat, making it tough to deal with from a special attacking standpoint. It packs HP Ice to deal with ground types, flash cannon and lava plume for STAB (and lava plume has a good chance to burn!) and earth power for coverage.

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

This Pokemon came to the team as a counter to its other form, Rotom-Wash. I'd been having trouble with Rotom-W when I was first testing the team (I had kelfki back then), so Rotom-Mow's Leaf Storm is especially useful. It also can disrupt opponents with thunder wave and will-o-wisp. Further, it's levitate ability compliments the team by providing a safe switch to the ground-weak Heatran and Manectric.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Scizor brings priority and a bulky defogger to the match. I felt especially safe putting it on the team knowing its only weakness was covered by flash fire Heatran. I've invested in Defense so it can take an EQ, so it acts as a safe switch from heatran and manectric. Life Orb is sort of a default item, simply boosting damage while still enabling other moves to be used. Its STAB bullet punch has a reputation for being devestating, and bug bite is another STAB alternative; both moves gain power from technician and STAB. Entry hazards seriously harm togekiss and are a nuisance to the rest of the team, so defog fixes that problem. And, of course, Roost is for sustain.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot

The main cleric of the team, Togekiss carries Wish and Heal Bell, both of which are important for keeping the team alive (obviously). Heal Bell prevents toxic stalls and heals any burns, and Wish refreshes any damaged team member. Nasty Plot and Air Slash are for wallbreaking, and has great synergy with Thunder Wave from Rotom for some flinch/paralysis hax. It's invested in special defense because of its high base stat, so I capitalized. (If a physical threat is eminent, I can switch to an Intimidater or physically-defensive scizor. )

Well, there you have it! Any feedback is appreciated, as I'm sure this team is far from perfect. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hi mikebploz !
Can you add more information on each set?
There is very little info on each set and it is hard to give you a feedback without explaining about the moves, EV spreads and strategy for each Pokémon. Some of them are pretty standard like Landorus-T (which actually has a good description), but some are not such as AV Heatran and Scizor.

Thanks for the heads-up! I added on to the explanations, so hopefully it's enough...? If it isn't, just let me know. This is my first time posting in this category so Im prone to format error :/

Hey @mikebploz

To figure out what you need to include in your description, check out the RMT Rules thread. I'll quote the part you need right now.

- Why you chose this Pokémon?
- Why does it have this item? If it doesn't have an item, why?
- Why does it have those EVs? It's okay to say "The EVs are standard".
- Why does it have these attacks
(At least 3 sentences)

If you answer all of these, you'll be good to go. Fortunately, you're on your way there!

Other than that, I'm curious as to why your Heatran has that set. I'm also wondering why you're running Rotom-Mow. Is it specifically due to looking for a Rotom-W counter? If that's the case, there are other options you can try. I'd like to suggest Latias, Latios, Celebi and Ferrothorn.

Thanks, Professor Palutena! I'll keep that in mind for editing this post and making future posts.
Addressing Heatran: If it is facing a physical attacker or is threatened by an EQ, I have multiple safe switches. Switching into Landorus drops the attack stat if the opposing Pokemon, and from there I can Volt Turn to get off more intimidates. So, the only threat to Heatran is a special attacker (it can't even be Toxic stalled :D). An assault vest means Heatran can take a special hit like a champ, and then hit back.
As for the Rotom-W counter, I didn't consider those! I sorta was very simple-minded in the search for a counter... I looked for a bulky grass type. Rotom-Mow fit the bill in that sense, and also provided another safe switch for Heatran and Manectric, as well as bring disruption in the from of status. Latios or Latias would probably be great options too; I'll do some testing! Thanks for the advice on everything!

I would suggest trying Clefable out instead of Rotom-W if that's the role you're trying. If you're looking for something to take special moves, having a recovery move is a big deal. Clefable will also be able to use Stealth Rock. Entry hazards are phenomenal for a team consistently switching like yours, and the extra damage will be a big help throughout the game. It forms a really nice core with a Ground type (Landorus-Therian) and a Steel type (Heatran), and I think you'll appreciate what it can do for your team. Don't be deceived by its low stats; it will pull its weight. The set I prefer using is as follows:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

I discussed Stealth Rock above. Moonblast is STAB. Soft-Boiled is a recovery move that will make Clefable's life a lot easier. Thunder Wave is a great option as Pokemon like Gengar and Mega Charizard that like to switch into Clefable hate being paralyzed as they rely on their speed to be threatening. This will enhance Clefable's supporting capabilities. However, feel free to try Fire Blast as a means to stopping Steel-types like Skarmory and Scizor (Pokemon that can use Defog to eliminate your Stealth Rock) from coming in.

I would then change your Heatran set to the standard offensive spread as it won't be needed as a special sponge with Clefable around. I would recommend Air Balloon as an item to check Mega Charizards better. If you don't know what this is, let me know!

I would also change Bug Bite to U-Turn on Scizor to act as another VoltTurner to help get momentum. The utility of a third Turner will outweigh the stronger STAB move.

I would suggest changing Togekiss. I'm not sure with what, but I don't feel like it performs a meaningful role on your team. VoltTurn teams are offensive in nature and having the cleric really slows down your team. Feel free to experiment. One thing I'd like to suggest that is a bit of a favorite of mine is Choice Scarf Gothitelle. It's very good on VoltTurn teams due to Shadow Tag and the consistent pivoting; it can effectively eliminate many threats by virtue of Shadow Tag. It's admittedly not for everyone, but feel free to try it out!

I think this team needs a set-up sweeper or just a regular sweeper/late game cleaner.
In fact, this is what the Volt-Turn strategy is really all about imo- To exhaust the opponent's team and then bring in the sweeper/cleaner to do its job much easier.
Togekiss serves as your cleric, which means that he would most likely find himself in the mid game. Its speed stat is not amazing and it's a good Pokémon to use as a solid switch in on common Ground Dragon Dark Bug and Fighting-types with its great typing and bulk. Nasty Plot in not enough to make it a sweeper. It needs other things such as Speed investment and more focus on helping itself than other teammates.
In addition, I don't see any problem with not having a cleric on this team. Heatran (and Magic Guard Clefable if you'd pick her which I'd also recommend) is immune to both Toxic and Burns while both Landoris-T and Mega Manectric are immune to Thunder-Wave and Scizor is immune to Toxic.
Right now, Togekiss works as the Pokémon who helps Landorus-T and Mega Manectric. I think it should be the opposite.
As such, I would recommend that you make Togekiss more offensive and to design its set to fit as a late game cleaner and sweeper.
This means- Roost over Wish. Togekiss as a sweeper, needs to recover faster if needed. It doesn't have the time to wait one turn when he can simply use Roost.
Wish is a good move to support other teammates-not if you're using Nasty Plot.
Fire Blast-over Heal Bell. Although you can use Heal bell to protect Togekiss from statuses, Fire Blast is much more important for a Togekiss that needs to sweep as Steel types such as Scizor Bisharp and Ferrothorn are everywhere.
Speed investment- Make sure you can outrun specific common threats that can ruin your sweep (Bisharp), with Speed EV's and a Timid nature.
I don't know how good Togekiss would be as a sweeper and I'm not sure if in the end you would want to consider a better sweeper/cleaner such as Talonflame but it is something interesting to test. :)

Thanks for all the feedback! These all sound like good ideas, and I'll try them out and edit the original post when I find something that works best.
I think I'll keep togekiss to start, using the lategame sweeper idea. If it underperforms, I can change it to Gothitelle or Talonflame and see how that works. I'll change Rotom to Clefable and use the recommended set - it was a great suggestion. I'll also change Bug Bite to U-turn on Scizor, another good point. It'll definitely keep momentum and options open.
However, I'd rather not put Air Balloon on Heatran; once it pops, Heatran has no item to make use of. Could you maybe recommend an item other than Air Balloon or Assault Vest?
Thanks again, I'll be testing shortly! :)

For Heatran, you can always try Life Orb as an item. Shuca Berry would also work to act as an Air Balloon lite. Choice Scarf could also work.

Back