Secondary Typings

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I just went back and read all of your flavor text, PMJ. It gets better and better with the newest cards. :p

Frankly, I love the reference of Delphox's Ability. The art's...unusual, but I can live with that.

Not sure about Cradily evolving from Anorith, though.

On the topic of secondary-typed cards, I'd like to see a {Y} Whimsicott. {C} Meloetta, {G} Gourgeist, and {P} Malamar would be nice, too, but I realize we're probably overworking PMJ. :p

Colorless Crobat. And I like the Delphox, but it seems insanely hard to power up.
Garbodor DRX/LTR.

Reggie McGigas

-
Here's the legendary birds as colorless types. I made these a while ago but they belong in this thread.
1306362_orig.png
7887724_orig.png

7887724_orig.png

6575778_orig.png

Also, steel type Genesect and psychic type Aegislash. Why are we not funding this? (I'll make these later).

Jaaaaay

Fear the Six Karp Fisherman
Here's the legendary birds as colorless types. I made these a while ago but they belong in this thread.
1306362_orig.png
7887724_orig.png

7887724_orig.png

6575778_orig.png

Also, steel type Genesect and psychic type Aegislash. Why are we not funding this? (I'll make these later).

How does one 'Huffle' a deck? :p

Supa_Hot_Fire

Hoping for Shedinja Break...
Jabberwock there's already a Fairy Whimsicott in Ancient Origins. Although I guess I can't really say that since there's already Crystal Crobat...

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Everyone that is winging about the design choice for Delphox... well, Energy accelerators exist! You could easily drop it on the bench w/Bronzong and grab a whole bunch of energy onto it, which you discard when you attach [P] energy. Aromatisse and Blastoise type of cards would help negate the ability too.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
It is intentionally difficult to power up; that's why the attack is so strong.

You can circumvent the ability by using energy switch, though.

Jaaaaay

It is intentionally difficult to power up; that's why the attack is so strong.

You can circumvent the ability by using energy switch, though.

Unless your cards exist outside the current metagame, that attack is not strong. Between being a stage 2 and the ability if it was printed in the next set it would see 0 play. Having said that it is interesting from a design perspective.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
@Jaaaaay You're kidding, right?

There are lots of ways to circumvent Pureblood's effect:

- Energy Switch
- Ether
- Hex Maniac (if you were desperate)
- Garbodor
- Swoobat LTR
- Togekiss PRC
- Attach, attach, Rare Candy

And that doesn't include already-mentioned methods of taking advantage of the discard effect, such as Bronzong.

With a Muscle Band you hit 180 (and a 60 spread) over two turns, and the attack is Valley friendly. The only downside--if you can even call it that--is that it has 130 HP. Which is fine. If you have a spare turn, you can even attach a Mystery Energy and retreat Delphox for free.

I'm not saying it would be BCIF, but to say it would see zero play is flat out wrong.

Otaku

The wise fool?
A lot of dual type Pokemon who's types are represented with different TCG energy types (so not like water/ice, normal/flying, rock/ground etc) sometimes never see cards printed in their alternate colours. Which Pokemon would you like to see printed as their alternate types?

All of them; the question is why we don't get two versions of each of these cards (one of each Type) more often. To be clear, even I am pretty sure of the answer: it takes design time and a place in the scheduled releases from another card. As is often the case, I am both thinking of the ideal and noticing how we will sometimes get two or three releases of a dual-Type Pokémon and still won't get one of its "off" Type. :rolleyes:

I realize it's not exactly secondary but I think the baby Pokémon are also due a resurgence since we haven't seen them since HGSS, and some like Mantyke even less. Heck, Mantyke/Mantine are due flying types. Mime Jr. is due a fairy type.

I would much prefer such a mechanic be phased out; if not entirely then as soon as we hit an appropriate "break" point in the sets the Evolution line should simply adjust. Right now that is none too feasible but it should have happened going into the BW-era (instead these Pokémon just haven't gotten cards in a while). Real missed opportunity as well; while I am really happy Expanded exists (and is becoming more important to competitive play) it will make future break points an even rarer occurrence.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I don't know, since baby Pokemon haven't been seen since HGSS nor as far I can remember have they had anything about them referenced I would say they've basically already phased them out by the time of mid to late BW.​

Otaku

The wise fool?
I don't know, since baby Pokemon haven't been seen since HGSS nor as far I can remember have they had anything about them referenced I would say they've basically already phased them out by the time of mid to late BW.

Right... but the last time they made an appearance (the HS-era) they were on their third set of mechanics.

Original "Baby Pokémon" were an official sub-classification of Basic Pokémon that had special rules printed on the cards: not attacks or Pokémon Powers (one of the predecessors to Abilities), but "rules" (kind of like the Pokémon-EX rule). Some rules text made them harder to attack while others allowed them to "Evolve" into the correct Basic Pokémon as if it were a Stage 1. These were seen in the Neo and e-card sets.

Later we got the RS-era "Baby" Pokémon that technically were just regular Basic Pokémon. They did however have a common design element, namely a Poké-Body (again, one of the predecessors to Abilities) that not only allowed them to "Evolve" into the correct Basic Pokémon as if it were a Stage 1, but that as a bonus removed all damage from the card.

Lastly we got the HS-era Baby Pokémon that were similar to the originals, but instead of a specific "rule" text that protected them, they had a Poké-Body that mimicked the end result and lacked any way to Evolve.

A new treatment of "baby" Pokémon is possible, but to my regret it is too late to simply "adjust" the pre-existing lines and let Unlimited worry about it; we already have (for example) several Basic Pikachu so we can't suddenly release it as a Stage 1.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
I would prefer for baby pokemon to be treated as the actual basic in the evolutionary lines too, like Togepi and Riolu are. The eternal exceptions

Considering the fact that two generations have passed with no new baby pokemon introduced, there would be little motivation for the resurrection.

Jaaaaay

In response to the flying type Pokemon. I would really love it if Flying got there own typing.

Flying is pretty overdue for its own type, although I fear it's not too likely for a while now because of Roaring Skies.

Flying is very under represented in the VG and pretty much a secondary type - basically every thing with Flying having Normal / or someother major type (Fire for talonflame etc). If there was going to be another type added (again) to the TCG it would be something more significant - Splitting Ground/Rock from Fighting or Psy/Gho/Pois. Dont see any of this happening though.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Togepi and Riolu aren't Baby Pokemon.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
And on the subject of Baby Pokemon, there's a reason they haven't had cards since HGSS; they are stupid and even gamefreak has realized it by now. So I won't be doing any cards for them (especially not Mime Jr., that filth).

Chesnaught and Emboar coming soon. Keep those suggestions coming, people.