OU: Strategy Uncommon Pokémon in OU

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Like in every metagame in Pokémon, there is a number of Pokémon which usually dominate the game. OU is the higher tier after Ubers, which means that every player has a very large verity of Pokémon to choose from. However, there are still Pokémon which are more common to see in OU than others. Keldeo, Heatran, Ferrothorn and Landorus-T are a few examples for overused Pokémon that almost everyone meets every battle. Other Pokémon such as Emboar and Smeargle, are very rare in the OU environment but still can be seen on many successful teams.
So why would they use such Pokémon and not a similar one with better abilities that is overused?
There are many reasons. One of them can be that the Pokémon they have chosen, works well against specific threat that really puts the team on pressure. Another reason can be the surprise factor similarly to the use of common Pokémon with original sets.
Have you ever include in your team an uncommon Pokémon with little to no usage in the metagame?
How did you manage to come up with it? Did it go well in the end?
Do you prefer using only common/used Pokémon ? Why?

There's been very few occassions in which I've actually used a non-OU mon into the tier. I can only remember two off the top of my head, and these are Thundurus-T and Jirachi (at a time when it was rarely played). While there are some creative strategies that successfully employ mons of lower tiers, I can't boast I've ever created one. Most of my teams are simply adaptations of offense, and there's never been a case where I found appropriate to replace the tried and true attackers of OU with something else. To be completely honest, I don't like such strategies either. Sure, there are some very good ideas and being creative should always be encouraged, but it just doesn't fit me. Some of them I find very niche while others I just can't seem to grasp their concept. Overall, while I don't shun the usage of less common mons, I'm not gonna be the guy to break the meta and come forth with some groundbreaking strategy that employs them. Perhaps, if one day I manage to actually become a good player, I'll try to delve into such uncharted territory. But for now, I'm content with writing down the ideas of others for future reference (during times when I battle at least).

That is true, I don't like to use uncommon Pokemon for the sake of changing or improving the metagame either.
I don't think that the fact you're using Uncommon Pokémon means that you are intending to invent something new that no one had tried before. Many people indeed come and try to experience with different Pokémon as part of their idea of changing the OU metagame into a more diverse meta. However, I think that in many cases, as you've mentioned, it can improve your creativity (and strategy) as a player.
This is just a thought though, as I also do not tend to use uncommon Pokémon so I'm not talking from much experience. Still, I think it might be a very good idea to actually start using them more.
Do you thing that, if you are using a small number of Pokémon, you are limiting your options to improve yourself as a player?
One thing I can tell for example, is that using different uncommon Pokémon have helped me not only for their obvious niches, but also in battling against these Pokémon when being on my opponent's side. So if I have used "that" Pokémon before and now I am battling against it, I have better knowledge of how to play around it. Even though my opponent most likely plays different than I am, I still know what it can do and it is more easy for me to get myself in my opponent's shoes.

There are two kinds of uncommon mons. There are those which serve some very specific niche that nothing else can serve (a common example being Smeargle) and those that don't. The second category shouldn't be used at all in my opinion. Yeah, the mon may be good, but if serves no niche it probably means that it's outclassed by something in the OU tier and you're hindering yourself by using it. Sure, you may also learn how to face it so as not to be caught off-guard by something, but most of the time its role will be remarkably similar to something you're already familiar with.
It's been repeated a lot in past conversations. Using a mon just for the sake of using it isn't good if you're playing competitively. Saying you limit yourself because you only use the x number of walls available in OU and don't use the y number of walls available in RU is wrong. Uncommon Pokemon are uncommon for a reason, and using them is something that is risky and should be carefully done, for the consequences of a wrong choice can effectively leave you a mon down. To utilize them you need some good knowledge of the meta, know whether the niche you're aiming for works and when it can work. Reckless usage is punished.
So, to answer your question... it depends on what you consider a limited amount. If all of your teams have three mons in common, then yes, you limit yourself. If you've only used a specific playstyle and its associated mons without having tried anything else to see if it works better, then yes, you're limiting yourself as a player. If you use the sixty mons available in OU, then no, you're not limiting yourself. You may wanna play on the safe side, you don't consider yourself good enough to take the risk of playing lower-tier niches, or you may do it for a completely different reason. OU has a pretty big selection that allows for many playstyles and strategies. But obviously, playing with or against less common teams expands your horizons, gives you new ideas and can overall improve you as a player.

Got it. So I think it is best to first gain enough experience with the common OU mons and after that testing uncommon Pokémon in order to do better in battling or to simply find out if playing with niche Pokémon works for you and your team.
Of course, in the end, it depends on the player.

I actually want to be able to know what niche Pokémon can help my team. To make a team and then after testing it, to think outside of the box and to know when a niche Pokémon can actually help my team a lot. I understand that this ability comes with experience but I don't see myself getting there really. All I can think of when testing my teams is about my Pokémon's sets and if I should replace one of them with another common Pokémon which I know enough about to make a decision and make a place for it.

You're team needs to be able to cover whatever you're wanting to put on and vice versa, regardless of uncommon Pokémon or not. Also, not all UU and under tier pokemon will work in OU, it takes practice, a general strategy, and awareness to build something that's different but effective. Take for example Dugant and Dugtrio, you could use Truant Dugant, use Entrainment, send in Dugtrio, and with a combination of Hone Claws and Protect you have a +6 Dugtrio for free (iSharingan's old team).

I've also made a successful Focus Punch and Trick team, but as I said, you need to know what you're doing and what you're team's battle plans and goals are.

You're team needs to be able to cover whatever you're wanting to put on and vice versa, regardless of uncommon Pokémon or not. Also, not all UU and under tier pokemon will work in OU, it takes practice, a general strategy, and awareness to build something that's different but effective. Take for example Dugant and Dugtrio, you could use Truant Dugant, use Entrainment, send in Dugtrio, and with a combination of Hone Claws and Protect you have a +6 Dugtrio for free (iSharingan's old team).

I've also made a successful Focus Punch and Trick team, but as I said, you need to know what you're doing and what you're team's battle plans and goals are.

Yes, there is a lot of use in uncommon Pokémon cores that each of them by itself is no good but together they form an effective strategy that no other Pokémon can form,thus they get their own niche in OU. I never got to use them though. Mainly because as you said, it usually takes a lot of prediction skills.

Back