Writing Athena Plays Golden Sun - Finished!

I actually do still have my cartridge for both GS and The Lost Age, but I'm playing this game on ROM because my only chargers for my GBA and DS are for US electrical outlets, not EU ones. >.< Also, my eyes are poor and emulator lets me increase the screen size (I'm playing at 300%) rather than squinting down at a tiny screen.

The nice thing about that is if there are any particularly amusing screenshots I can share them. :U

Chapter 1: There's no way this can go wrong!

Three years later....

<Mum> Thena, you finished with that roof yet? Good for nothing son I swear...
<Thena> -_-;;​

It was a nice, bright day. I was up patching the roof for my ungrateful mother while Celev was doing Psynergy training up by his house. PP was wondering around being a dork and went to go watch him.

<PP> So, let me guess... whatever mysterious thing happened to you and Thena 3 years ago that you refuse to talk about is what's causing you both to train like a fiend with your Psynergy powers, amirite?
<Celever> PP, you know I don't like to...
<PP> I know, I know, you don't like to talk about it. You need to let it go! My folks are dead, my brother's dead, Thena's dad is dead. Just move on already, ok? I wish we could all just forget about that day and move on with our lives.
<Celev> Are you pissed at me or something?
<PP> *sigh* Let's just grab Thena and go.​

While those two were jabbering, I finished up my own work, also using Psynergy instead of my hands because... if you've got psychic powers, of course you should use them at every opportunity. Also for training purposes, if I'm going to be realistic. After all, if Celev and I hadn't been such weaklings we wouldn't have gotten KOed by those weirdos.

<Mum> *climbs up onto the roof* Finally you're done. Such a slacker... just like your father used to be. *sigh* Man do I miss that doofus.
<PP> *climbs up* hey Thena's mum, sup?
<Celev> *climbs up* Hey, I can see my house from here!
<Mum> So, where are you guys off to today?
<Thena> DNA's taking us up to Mt. Aleph.
<PP> It's a field trip to learn more about Alchemy! :D
<Mum> Oh, yes, Alchemy, the fundamental build block of Psynergy, and Mt. Aleph is the greatest source of it in all of Weyard...
<Celev> Are you going to start explaining game mechanics to us again? *groan*
<Mum> Oh, dear me, no, I'll leave that to DNA. He's the best monologuer there is.
<Celev> Good then let's get-- *slips and falls into a weak part of the roof*
<Thena> facepalm.jpg
<PP> Celev, stop ruining Thena's new roof job and let's get out of here.​

We joined up together and went on our way. Sadly, we were once again hindered by various things throughout town that stopped us from going too far, but we explored what we could and eventually made our way towards progressing the plot and moved into the woods section by where DNA lived. On the way, though, I heard a familiar voice...

<bb> Heheheheh, seems like these losers hardly know anything about the Sol Sanctum. Their village elders won't even let anyone inside! What a joke.
<KoN> What about that DNA guy? Think we can use him?
<bb> Probably, he's pretty smart.
<KoN> Stubborn as hell, but I suppose we could always find a means of... persuading him.
<bb> Wait, do you hear someone over there?
<Celev> Ohshi-​

Our cover was somehow blown. Sure enough, it was the same 2 weirdos from 3 years ago!

<bb> Were you dropping eaves on us again?
<Celev> Hey! You're the ones who are sneaking around and stuff. We didn't do anything wrong!
<KoN> I suppose you're the ones meeting up with DNA?
<PP> Yep!
<bb> Well, in that case, I suppose we'll have to... let you go on and get to your meeting then.
<KoN> >_>?
<bb> Don't want to leave DNA waiting. :3
<Thena> O.... kay then.​

We didn't really know what to make of this, so we shrugged and continued on our way to DNA's house. He was pacing around outside and muttering to himself about the two weirdos we'd just seen.

<DNA> The elements of Alchemy... Earth, Fire, Wind, Water.... do they really mean to set them in motion? And the Elemental Stars are the key?
<Celev> Man, DNA monologues about game mechanics to himself even when we aren't around.
<DNA> Oh, there you are! Welcome!
<PP> Something wrong, gramps?
<Celev> Something to do with those weirdos?
<DNA> KoN and bb you mean? They're still out there?
<Thena> Yeah, we ran into them on the way here.
<DNA> They've been to Mt. Aleph and Sol Sanctum, you know. Usually no one's allowed inside, but...
<PP> Ohshi- they broke in?
<Celev> We need to tattle on them!
<DNA> No, wait! Please!
<Celev> >_>?
<DNA> You see, uh, we don't really know if they're telling the truth. I think we ought to, you know, confirm it ourselves first.
<Thena> You mean, we'd be allowed to go into the Sol Sanctum? :O
<PP> But that's illegal!
<DNA> We don't actually have to go inside or anything just, you know, check out the entrance and stuff. So long as no one catches us, it'll be no big deal.
<Celev> Sweet!
<Thena> I think we can all agree to keeping it a secret, yeah.
<DNA> Good! In that case, we'll make you the leader so I can avoid having to take full responsibility. Let me grab my mysterious bag and then let's be off!​

Once DNA joined our party, we were on our way. We went back into town, waited until the guard priest was looking the other way, and then snuck past the temple on our way up Mt. Aleph to the Sol Sanctum. It was a pretty cool old temple thing that was build into the rock itself, with statues and marble floors and all that fun jazz. There were heavy stone doors closed over the entrance. With a deep breath, I pushed open the doors and we went into the entryway.

<Thena> So, uh, this is as far as we should go, right?
<DNA> Well, this is your first time here, yes? Let's look around just a bit so you can check it out nicely.
<Thena> I thought it was illegal and all, but, oh well, it's not like there's any way this could go wrong. Let's explore!​

We went through the door and into the Sanctum proper. After a quick water jumping puzzle, we went through a series of corridors, occasionally troubled by wandering monsters. DNA didn't take part in any of the battles; instead he huddled in a corner trying not to wet himself each time one appeared. We found a jewel in a treasure chest after another water hopping puzzle, and then put the jewel into the eye of a statue to open up a sekrit passageway.

The next room was large, purple, and full of statues. It looks like a nice proper temple, but....

<DNA> Something's weird. If Sol Sanctum was build to honour the sun, why aren't there more, you know, sunny things? It feels kind of dark and bland in here.
<Thena> Feels like a puzzle to me.
<DNA> Those 2 did say that there was another secret passage that goes deeper... I wonder if those two things are connected?
<Celev> Well, let's go see if we can figure it out!​

Behind one of the statues was a passage that led us through some more twisty hallways and another chest with a jewel in it. Eventually we came to another room with statues, 6 in a row in their own little cubby holes, with a small stream of water running in front of them. Because of the water and the game's jumping mechanics, we wouldn't be able to simply push the statues aside this time, so we had to use MAGI-- I mean PSYNERGY to save the day and move the statues from afar. One of them was hiding the correct location to insert the jewel and another the passageway that opened up. After some more monster-filled hallways, we found another room with statues, and this time a giant sun symbol built into the floor.

<DNA> Here we go, this is it. Oh, yeah, look at that sun, baby. The heart of Sol Sanctum, right now.
<Thena> *mumbles* I thought it would be a bit more, you know... impressive.
<DNA> Those two must have been telling the truth after all!
<PP> So that means they're thieves and we can punish them, right?
<Celev> Yeah, let's go back!
<DNA> Well, er, umm...
<PP> Something wrong, DNA?
<DNA> It's just... we've come so far to get here. It would be such a waste to leave now. Please, can't we look around just a bit more?
<Thena> Well, in for a penny in for a pound, may as well check it out while we're here.
<DNA> Hurray! :D​

We followed the next hallway to the right where there was a similar statue setup up, but this time with a moon image in the center of the floor and some weird, shimmery lights.

<DNA> Luna and Sol.... do you think these rooms might be connected someone?
<Thena> No, of course not. >_>
<DNA> You sure? I can't help but feel there's some kind of secret... I shall have to ponder this.
<Celev> Thena, you know DNA's sarcasm meter is permanently broken. Stop making fun of him.
<Thena> :<
<DNA> Thena, you and the others go look around some more. I'm going to stay here and think because... reasons.
<Thena> lolkay.​

We left DNA to his musing and followed the hallway down and to another set of stairs. This sanctum was so large you'd think it was a dungeon or something! Upstairs we came across a pretty obvious statue moving puzzle around another moon symbol on the floor, but as soon as I pushed one into place, DNA started freaking out so loudly we could hear him all the way on the next floor.

<DNA> *runs up* Thena, wait! *huff*
<PP> DNA, what's wrong?
<DNA> Ooooh, interesting puzzle you've discovered. However, I'm afraid it's actually... A TRAP PUZZLE.
<Thena> Ohshi-
<PP> Why would someone put a trap here?
<DNA> Obviously they've hidden some kind of cool treasure.
<Celev> Sweet, we'll be rich!
<DNA> That treasure... it may be the key to alchemy itself!
<Celev> Awww, I was hoping for gold. ._.;
<DNA> Anyway, keep working on the puzzle, but don't get off the trap! I'm going back downstairs.
<PP> Come on, man, you've obviously got some idea what's going on. Can't we get a hint or something?
<DNA> I have a feeling the key to this puzzle will be... light. Good luck! *wanders off*​

We left this room and went next door to where there was a similar statue setup, but this time with a sun in the middle. We moved two statues, revealing some streams of light coming from the ceiling, and DNA didn't flip out so we decided we must be doing something right. The streams crossed, illuminating a hole where we placed another statue, and then we heard a satisfying clicking noise. Alright, one room done, back to the moon room. We went back and pushed the same statue again... and once again DNA freaked out and ran back upstairs to us.

<Thena> *sigh* Did we mess up again?
<DNA> Nope! You're doing good. That puzzle was made to disarm the trap, so now it should be safe to move these ones. See? The moon symbol on the ground is turning into a sun!
<Thena> Does that mean you'll shut up and let us finish pushing these statues around?
<DNA> Fine, fine, I'll go back and wait downstairs again. *flees*​

Each statue moved shot out another beam of light, slowly illuminating the ground and changing the symbol until the moon completely became the sun. Then we ran downstairs to see DNA again.

<DNA> Look, see! The image changed here too!
<Celev> So... the entire puzzle was just to flip the images around? :\
<DNA> Nah, there's gotta be another secret somewhere.
<PP> Let's go back and check that first room again.​

In the initial room where we first saw the sun on the floor, now that sun had also changed into a moon. A beam of light was shooting from the center of the moon symbol into the wall at the back of the room. When we went to inspect it... a portal appeared!

<DNA> Woohoo! We made it! You go in first Athena, for, uh, science. >_>
<Thena> <_<​

With me entering first, one by one, we all entered the mysterious portal....

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 3 Squire
Celev: Lv 2 Guard
PP: Lv 2 Flame User

Psynergy: (Utility Psynergy underlined)
Cure, Move, Retreat, Quake

Items:
Weapon: Short Sword
Bodywear: Cotton Shirt
Headgear: N/A
Armwear: Padded Gloves
Accessory: N/A
Other: N/A

Djinn:

N/A

Move, Flare

Items:

Djinn:

N/A

PP: Lv 2 Flame User

Flare

Items:
Weapon: Wooden Stick
Bodywear: One-Piece Dress

Djinn:

N/A

Player Notes:

I hope you like cliffhanger chapter endings! :3

I was originally planning on doing the entire Sol Sanctum in one chapter, but, well, it's already a super long chapter. And I know there's a lot of plot coming up, and this seemed like an okay spot to stop, so here we are.

I've got the Party Info/Details fully written out now so you can see how we're all doing. We each started off at Level 1, but the random monsters gave us a bit of leveling. They're all fairly easy, and PP regenerates as you move, so there's not really any danger in this section unless you're really dumb and don't heal.

I hope my explanation of the movement/dungeon/puzzles/etc. is going well. Since this is the first traditional RPG I've done a walkthrough for, I'm still kind of getting a feel for it. If you'd like to see more detail, or less, or anything, feel free to speak up.

For now, things are just getting started, but I do hope you enjoy. :3

Chapter 2: Oh, look, more plot, yay!

One by one, Celev, PP, DNA, and I all went through the portal and entered.... what the %*#& is this place? We were standing on some kind of island made of crystal in a huge area filled with calm black water and other small crystal islands surrounding us. The ceiling above us was also pitch dark, but with shimmering lights floating around everywhere. Or was that the sky? It was too vast to tell.

<DNA> Wh-Where are we?
<Thena> You mean you don't know? I thought you were the expert!
<DNA> This can't be the ocean, otherwise it'd be wavier.
<Celev> Oh.... shun? What's that? o_o;
<DNA> The ocean is a body of endless water at the edge of the world. I've read about it in my books. But that's not important right now!​

DNA rushed around the small island, looking around at various things that I couldn't see because they were beyond the camera angles. Suddenly, he cried out.

<DNA> The Elemental Stars! They really do exist!
<Celev> Oh, yeah, I remember from our lessons. The 4 elements make up everything that exists in our world, animals, objects, even people!
<DNA> Earth, water, fire, and wind, yes. Legends say that the Elemental Stars are 4 objects that contain the purified essence of each element. And they're here, in this place!​

At DNA's excited tone, the camera angles finally obliged and moved around the room to show us what he was talking about. At each corner of the large room around us was a larger island with a status on it, and each statue was slightly glowing in the colour of its respected element: yellow for the Venus Star of Earth, blue for the Mercury Star of Water, red for the Mars Star of Fire, and Purple for the Jupiter Star of Wind.

<PP> So, uh, why is this so exciting? It's just a bunch of statues, we already saw tonnes of those before in the Sanctum.
<DNA> You don't understand.... this is the source of all Alchemy!
<Thena, Celev, PP> o_o;;
<DNA> The Wisdom Stone, the Stone of Sages... it can turn anything into gold and even grant immortality! Don't you understand?
<Thena> Uhhh... not really, no. >_>
<PP> I guess it's just, like, these statues are really powerful or something?
<DNA> Beyond powerful! With a single gem, you could take over the entire world!
<Celev> You wouldn't actually do that though, would you?
<DNA> Oh me? No, that's much too mundane. But I have spent my entire life searching for the Elemental Stars. To learn the full truth about Alchemy and life and the Elements and everything... the start of that is learning the truth about the Elemental Stars!​

DNA looked off towards the Stars, then at the small islands around us, then back to the Stars, then at Celev and me.

<DNA> So, uh, would you boys mind using your young, strong bodies to help an old man out?
<Thena> Uh, sure, I guess. What do you want us to do?
<DNA> First, you'll want these. *hands over some small bags*
<Thena> What are these?
<DNA> They're special bags made of Mythril. You'll need one for each Star, to keep it safe, you see?
<Celev> You want us to put the entire statue into one of these little bags?
<DNA> Oh, goodness no, the Elemental Stars themselves are much smaller. Each statue is holding the star in its hands. You see? That's where the light is glowing from.
<Thena> Alright, Celev, let's go. PP, you stay here and keep an eye on DNA.​

Celev and I headed off together. The small islands made a jumping puzzle, though some of them were too low or far to jump onto, and so we were herded into picking up the Venus Star first. Sure enough, the Star was a small orb of glowing gold resting in the hands of the statue. I yoinked it down and stuffed it in one of the bags, and as soon as I did so, there was a small rumbling throughout the chamber. Several of the islands that are been too low to jumped to raised higher into the air, giving us more access around the room, including opening a path to the Mercury Star.

And so we hopped around the room gathering the Elemental Stars. Mercury was next, and grabbing that Star unlocked a path to the Jupiter Star, which we figured would in turn unlock the path to the Mars Star. DNA shouted encouragements at us the whole time, but after we grabbed the Jupiter Star, we noticed he had fallen silent. We looked over back at the central island to see... KoN and bb had appeared!

<bb> Ope, I guess we've been spotted.
<KoN> Aww, poo, I was hoping they wouldn't notice until after they'd grabbed Mars, too.
<DNA> Ohmygosh, you guys want to steal the Stars! D:
<bb> Don't act so hoity-toity, isn't that exactly what you were going to do, and using the information you stole from us, too?
<PP> What are you going to do to us? ;~;
<???> Don't worry, you'll be safe.​

A third figure arrived through the portal to back up bb and KoN. He had a mask over his face, but he looked strangely familiar...

<???> After all, letting you live was a part of our agreement, wasn't it?
<bb> Of course! So long as the cooperate with us, anyway.
<KoN> You hear that boys! You better hand over all of those Elemental Stars if you don't want your little girlfriend here blown to smithereens!
<DNA> Thena, no, don't do it!
<bb> Oh please. -_-;
<DNA> What guarantee do we have that you won't just kill us all as soon as you have what you want.
<KoN> *shrug* I guess you'll have to remove the mask, Jaber.
<bb> Yes, since you're so concerned about their safety, you can be our guarantee.
<Celev> Wait, what? Did he just say what I think he said?
<PP> But it can't be Jaber... my brother died in that storm...
<???> Well, so much for that ruse...​

The mystery man pulled off the mask and, sure enough, underneath was the recognizable face of PP's older brother, Jaber.

<PP> But... it can't be...
<Jaber> So, uh, sorry for making you think I was dead for 3 years, PP.
<bb> And he has us to thank for it, too, since KoN and I were the ones who saved his punk ass.
<KoN> Snatched him up out of the river unconscious.
<Jaber> And I've been since them since then.
<PP> But why... why did you lave me all alone and let me think you were dead? ;~;
<Jaber> PP, I....
<bb> Alright, that's enough, you two.
<KoN> Elemental Stars now, teary emotional reunion later. I'll even bring the tissues.
<bb> After all, you don't think Jaber would let us kill his own little sister, do you DNA?
<DNA> Well, no, I suppose not...
<Celev> Alright, I'll bring over the ones that we have so far.​

I handed Celev the 3 bags containing the Venus, Mercury, and Jupiter Stars and he began hopping over the platforms to reach the others. However, suddenly a 4th person appeared in the room, teleporting onto the island Celev had just reached.

<Vom> I'll grab those if you don't mind.
<bb> You're late, Vom. >:|
<Vom> Sorry, was fixing my hair, darling.
<KoN> You can go ahead and hand the Stars over to him.
<Celev> *shrugs and hands the bag over*
<Vom> Thanks! Now be a dear and go back to your friend and grab the last Star for us, would you?
<Celev> You said you'd free PP when we gave you the Stars!
<bb> Yes, we did, and there's still one you haven't brought us yet, now hop to it!
<Celev> *grumble*​

Celever was still grumbling when he got back to me and we began hopping along the path. This was the longest jumping puzzle yet, but finally we made it to the last island and plucked the Mars Star from the hands of the statue.

However, as soon as we grabbed the last Star, the room began to change, violently! The earth shook beneath us and, in a sudden flash of light, the water drain out of the bottom of the room showing the ground beneath, distant and dark with cracks leading deep into the earth with a pulsing red glow.

<KoN> What the %)&* is this!?
<bb> Goddammit, not again...
<Vom> Without the energy of the Elemental Stars, the chamber is collapsing!
<Thena> What the hell kind of sense does that make?!
<DNA> Oh god, this must be the "terrible retribution" that the legends spoke of....​

The room slowly began to cease its violent tremors, but then the camera panned to show us the sudden appearance of.... a giant floating rock with one large eyeball in the center?

<Celev> Pssst, Thena, you have any idea what that thing is?
<Thena> Clearly it's a giant floating rock with one large eyeball in the center.
<DNA> Could it be... the Wise One?
<Thena> I dunno, he doesn't look too wise to me... just floating there and blinking at us.
<bb> Well, whatever it is, it's probably a guardian of the Stars of some sort.
<Vom> Yes, it's very powerful.
<Jaber> I think that's our queue to exit.
<KoN> We can't leave yet, we still need the Mars Star!
<Vom> I don't think you understand how powerful that giant floating rock with one large eyeball in the center really is. We don't stand a chance.
<bb> Fair enough, we'll get the Mars Star later.
<PP> Dude, we can't just leave Thena and Celev here to die!
<bb> Yes, we can, in fact, that's kind of what I'm hoping will happen.
<KoN> In fact, I'm more worried about what will happen if they do somehow manage to survive.
<Vom> Well, we'll just have to keep PP and DNA as hostages. If they want them back, they'll bring us the Mars Star.
<Jaber> Man, you can't just break your promise to me like that! You promised me she's be set free!
<KoN> If we don't bring her with us we'll just be leaving her to die, do you want that?
<Vom> Look, let's talk about this later. For now, we need to go!
<bb> Alright, let's roll.
<PP> Thena! Celev! Promise me you won't die!​

One by one, they all exited the chamber through the portal in the central island leaving me and Celev alone with the giant floating rock with one large eyeball in the center. It had left the others alone to flee, but floated over to the platform where Celev and I were cowering.

<WiseOne> So, uh, you guys just going to sit there and cower while this place collapses around you?
<Celev> Ohgodno, please don't kill us.... ;~;
<WiseOne? Kill you? Really? I'm the one that's expending as much Psynergy as possible to hold this place up for you to get out. I won't be able to hold it much longer and then the volcano is going to erupt, so you better hustle! Go on, get out of here.​

As it spoke, a cluster of lights appeared around each of the elemental statues and then rose up into the sky.

<WiseOne> Ope, there go the Djinn now.
<Celev> What's that me--
<WiseOne> No time to explain everything, we need to talk quickly. This is bad, really bad. Without the Elemental Stars contain this room, the volcano is going to blow and there will no longer be any safe place for the Stars. Once again, the world will be exposed to the threat of Alchemy.
<Thena> Alchemy is a threat...?
<WiseOne> Alchemy is an incredibly dangerous power. If the Elemental Stars are used to ignite the Lighthouses, that power will be released over the entire world.
<Celev> Ohgeez, that sounds bad.
<WiseOne> The Lighthouses must remain unlit...​

Suddenly, the room started rumbling more and more violently. Crystal pillars began crashing to the ground around us.

<WiseOne> I can't hold back the eruption any longer! You guys need to skedaddle!
<Celev> We can't escape, there's no way back to the portal!
<WiseOne> Fine, I'll help you out.​

The giant floating rock with one large eyeball in the center blinked and suddenly we were teleported to the inner Sanctum on the other side of the portal. The entire Sanctum was still roiling and shaking with the fury of the volcano, so Celev and I ran as fast as we could back through the dungeon and back out to the town. All of the villagers were standing around staring at Mt. Aleph in awe.

<Celev> Ohgod, it's my grandpa, I'm going to be grounded for like a million years. Maybe we should go back up and take our chances in the volcano...
<Thena> *fwap*
<Celev> Fine, fine, I'll take my punishment like a man... *gulp*
<Villagers> Yay, you're safe! \o/
<HeadPriest> What the holy *^$% is going on up there? What did you guys do?
<Mum> Weren't DNA and PP with you?
<Thena> It's a long story. Let's tell it over lunch.​

And so we all went into the sanctum (the regular one in town) with Celev's grandpa the mayor, my mum, the head priest, and some of the other priests, and told them all the entire story of what happened, gesturing and using wild facial expressions the whole time.

<Thena> ... and then we came back down and met up with you guys.
<HeadPriest> That being you spoke of... the giant floating rock with one large eyeball in the center... I have seen it before, in my dreams. In fact, it spoke to me in my head just now.
<Everyone> :O!
<HeadPriest> It really must be... the Wise One, guardian of the Elemental Stars. It corroborated your story and told me more about the volcano eruption. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it now.
<Mum> Will the town be destroyed again?
<HeadPriest> The Wise One will be able to direct the flow of lava from hitting Vale, so no worries there... unfortunately, we have even bigger problems to worry about.
<Thena> It's the stuff the rock was talking about in the chamber, right? About the Elemental Stars being used to release the power of Alchemy?
<HeadPriest> A power that could destroy the very world, yes, if we do nothing to stop it.
<Mum> What can we hope to do?
<HeadPriest> It's Thena and Celev's job now.
<Celev> Wait, us?!
<HeadPriest> Yes, you. Acquiring the Elemental Stars is your fate alone.
<Mayor> Are you sure it's such a good idea to trust them with a job this important?
<HeadPriest> They're the main characters of the game, of course I'm going to trust them! Besides, the Wise One said so. Each of them shares responsibility for the actions that have been taken on this day.
<Celev> Dude, you can't blame us for those jerks wh--
<HeadPriest> Thena, will you accept responsibility for the fate of the land?
<Thena> Sure, ok.
<Celev> I guess I'm with Thena, then.
<HeadPriest> Oh Wise One... the two youths have accepted your request... please set them on their journey by telling them what it is you actually want them to do.​

Suddenly, the Wise One himself appeared in the room before us.

<WiseOne> Good, you guys are brave, I like that in an RPG character. I'll be keeping an eye on you. *wink*​

And then he was gone.

<HeadPriest> He says... he says "Jaber must unlock the power.... Find the Lighthouses.... You'll have the guidance of the Elemental Star...."
<Thena> Use the Mars Star to find the Lighthouses, got it.
<Celev> Uh... then what?
<HeadPriest> Hold on, I'm working on it... mind to mind communication is very difficult you know...
<Thena> He could have just stayed here and talked to us himself instead of disappearing again. -_-;
<HeadPriest> ... ... ... "Seek the elementals... the Djinn... They will be useful."
<Celev> Djinn, got it... whatever that means... anything else?
<HeadPriest> ... ... ... Nope, that's all. Good luck! the fate of the world is in your hands! *drops mic and exits*
<Mayor> Well, that could have been more helpful....
<Mum> Don't worry, Mayor, they're the main characters, they'll figure it out.​

And so Celev and I were sent off on an urgent quest to save the fate of the world. Everyone from Vale gathered around the town to set us off on our way, waving their flags and wishing us luck. It was time for adventure!

Current Party!

Cure, Move, Retreat, Quake

Items:

Djinn:

N/A

Move, Flare

Items:

Djinn:

N/A

Player Notes:

Wow, that's another long chapter. Especially since there was so little that I actually did during it. :U However, the pre-game opening plot is now finally complete. The baddies have most of the Elemental Stars and are going to use them to light the Lighthouses and destroy the world, and 2 young, spunky kids from a little village are the only ones that can possibly stop them. Woohoo!

Fun Fact: You actually can say "no" to the Head Priest when he asks if you're cool about taking on the quest or not. If you do, he gives you a chance to recant, otherwise it's game over. :U

But of course we actually want to play the game, so we said yes. And the villagers are grateful.

lyGd5EP.png

See you next week for the actual proper game start!

<bb> And he has us to thank for it, too, since KoN and I were the ones who saved his punk ass.
<KoN> Snatched him up out of the river unconscious.
<Jaber> And I've been since them since then.
<PP> But why... why did you lave me all alone and let me think you were dead? ;~;
<Jaber> PP, I....
<bb> Alright, that's enough, you two.
<KoN> Elemental Stars now, teary emotional reunion later. I'll even bring the tissues.
Keeper and bbninjas - Team Sass.

Chapter 3: BV and the Stolen Rod

Finally on the road, the first thing Celev and I did was... go back into town. We chatted up some NPCs and also upgraded our equipment, getting some more defensive gear for the both of us and upgrading Celev's weapon, too. We waved our final goodbyes, and headed out of town to... well, wherever we could go that seemed coolest, I guess.

Shortly after leaving town, we came across a small creature! It was brown and goofy-looking with big blue eyes, and it spoke to us.

<???> A traveling Adept! Ooooh, how exciting. :3
<Thena> Uh, can we help you little dude?
<???> I've been waiting for someone just like you! Please take me with you on your journey? :3
<Celev> Can you at least tell us what you are, first? >_>
<Flint> I'm a Venus Djinni, my name is Flint!
<Thena> Oh, sweet, we were told to look our for you, though we didn't know what to expect, really.
<Flint> When the volcano exploded, my friends and I got released and scattered all over the region! Please help me find them all? We'll help you out, too!
<Thena> Sure, why not. Come on board, little buddy.
<Flint> Excellent! It's tutorial time! :D
<Celev> *groan* Tutorials.... :\​

Flint gave us a quick tutorial of how Djinn are used inside and outside of battle. Celev napped through most of it. Once Flint was finished, I set him to myself and we continued onward. There was a road leading south and east that we mostly followed along, wandering around a bit to make sure we didn't miss anything interesting. We fought a few random encounters as we went, but nothing super difficult. Eventually we came to another town in the southeast, but just as we approached it, we happened to notice a large caravan leaving.

<MustacheMan> Man, this place is dangerous! We're heading back to Kalay, right away!​

Celev and I sat and watched them, somehow able to witness as the caravan traveled south through the map, eventually dead-ending at a broken bridge over a river.

<PoorSapOfAMessenger> Uh, MustacheM-- I mean, Master Hammet, sir, the bridge is out!
<Hammet> Dammit man, what do I pay you for!?
<PoorSapOfAMessenger> Well, sir, I, er....
<Hammet> How are we going to get back to Kalay> >:|
<PoorSapOfAMessenger> I dunno, sir, but, uh, aren't you worried about BV?
<Hammet> Don't change the subject!
<PoorSapOfAMessenger> Sorry, sir, I just thought it would be a good time to--
<Hammet> It's BV's own fault that he's in this mess after he let my rod get stolen. He can get himself out of it. Besides, he's got some kind of kooky psychic powers, he'll be fine.
<PoorSapOfAMessenger> I guess so...
<Hammet> Anyway, we need to get out of here. If we can't go south then.... we'll go north!
<PoorSapOfAMessenger> You do know that Lunpa is up there, sir...
<Hammet> It's not ideal, but better than here. And now that this plot exposition is complete, let's go!
<PoorSapOfAMessenger> Yes, of course, sir.​

Celev and I continued to munch on our popcorn as the delegation got back in their wagons and reversed course, heading past us and back north. We looked at each other, shrugged, and then headed into the town ourselves. The sign on the outside proclaimed the name of the village to be "Vault". We'd been traveling for a while, so we spent the night at the inn, and then decided to wander around the town the next day to see what we could learn.

As we walked around, we chatted with some of the NPCs and learned that the town had been stricken by falling rocks after the eruption of Mt. Aleph. This must have been the "danger" that scared Master Mustache away. We also heard a bit more about the poor kid named BV that was stuck in town searching for the stolen rod. Celev chuckled like a dork every time he heard the word "rod" and people looked at him kind of funny, but he's never minded that kind of attention. The theft seemed to be the talk of the town, with many people discussing the possible suspects and poor BV who was stuck trying to find the thief all by himself. When we reached the Mayor's House, we finally met BV himself.

<BV> ... Yes, I do possess "special powers". You have them too, I think And this power is called Psynergy? Amazing!
<Celev> *whisper* Dude... I think he's reading our minds. o_____o;;;
<BV> I'm sure you've heard the troubles about my master's rod...
<Celev> Hehehehehe, "rod".
<BV> ... would you please help me find it? My master loves his rod very much and...
<Celev> AHAHAHAHA XDDD
<Thena> *sigh* Yes, we'll help you find your master's rod.
<Celev> And--
<Thena> Celev, shut up.
<BV> Thank you so much! ^_^ So your names are... Thena and Celev, yes? Pleased to meet you.
<Thena> Nice to meet you, too, but next time, just ask us if you want to know something. >_>
<BV> Ah, sorry, force of habit. But I can hold your hand and you can read people's mind too! Wanna try?
<Celev> Hell yes! Let's start with that pretty g--
<Thena> Maybe later. For now, let's see if we can use those mind reading powers of yours to find the thieves. I did see a couple suspicious people around town after all.
<Celev> Awww... Thena never lets me have any fun... :<​

With BV in tow, we went to confront the probably thieves, a couple of shady characters that were hanging out in the town's inn. We attempted to confront them, prompting a rather silly chase around the bedroom. We finally confronted them and let BV do his thing, discovering that they not only stole Master Mustache's rod (<Celev> *snicker*) but also some other items from the townspeople as well.

BV was pretty sure that they stashed their ill-gotten gains somewhere in the inn, so we searched all over, eventually taking a ladder up to the roof where a falling rock from the eruption had blasted a hole into the roof, yet to be repaired. We jumped down the hole into the attic, and there found the treasure hoard of the thieves and a kidnapped man, too! I cut him free from his bonds and he started babbling.

<Kidnapee> Someone knocked me on the head while I was fixing the roof, and then I woke up here! None of these treasure chests used to be up here before, I swear!
<???> I guess we've been found out, then...​

All 3 thieves entered into to room with us, menacing looks on their faces.

<Thief1> Ohhey, look, it's Hammet's kid!
<Thief2> You may have caught us here, but Hammet's in much worse crap himself now, bwahahaha.
<Celev> Oh shut up and fight us already.
<Thena> No, wait, I think this is important plot stuff.
<Thief3> Yeah, you better listen! That Hammet guy fled to Lunpa of all places, ahahahaha, stupid git.
<Thena> What's so bad about this Lunpa place?
<Thief1> It was founded by a noble thief named Lunpa, but his grandon Dodonpa has control of the place and he's such an awful guy he makes us look like saints!
<Celev> If someone named me "Dodonpa" I'd probably pitch a fit, too. >_>
<Thief3> So, since we're not nearly as bad as that guy will you let us go?
<Thena> Sure!
<Everyone> o_o?
<Thena> So long as you return everyone's stolen goods and leave peacefully. Otherwise we'll have to kick your ass.
<Thief1> No way!
<Thena> Then I get you get an ass-whooping!
<Thief2> Not if we, uh, whoop your ass first!
<Thief3> Yeah, you tell 'em, Thief1!
<Thief1> No, I'm Thief1, that's Thief2.
<Thief2> Whatever, let's fight already!​

And then battle was joined! Even BV helped out. With our Psynergy, the poor thieves didn't stand a change, and it was only a few rounds before they were KOed. I even stole a sweet Bandit Sword from the leader!

<Kidnapee> Wow, we won!
<Celev> What do you mean "we"? You hid in the corner while we did all the work? >:|
<Kidnapee> Well, I *am* just an NPC.
<Celev> >:|
<Kidnapee> Aaaanyway, I'll go get the mayor. *flees*
<Thief1> After all the work we went through....
<Celev> Pfft, evil never prevails! *kick*
<Thief2> Ouch, quit it... :<
<BV> As soon as I get my master's rod, I guess I'll be headed to Lunpa, then. What will you guys be doing?
<Thena> Well, it's kind of a long story, but...
<BV> In that case, hold on, mind reading is faster.... oh, fascinating, hmmm...
<Celev> This is so creepy. :|
<BV> There, see, much faster than a long expository piece.
<Kidnapee> *comes back* These are the thieves, mayor!
<Mayor> *tsktsk* Get these assholes locked up.​

The mayor's grunts came in, too, and between all of us, we were able to get the thieves tied up and the grunts carried them away to the Vault jail cells.

<Mayor> Thank you for catching the thieves!
<Thena> Happy to help, mayor sir.
<Mayor> Now, let's take a look at their loot, shall we?​

Without waiting for any agreement, the mayor walked over and started opening the chests. The first contained an urn that was stolen from his house, the second a gold statue from the town's sanctum, and the third contained Hammet's rod.

<Mayor> My, what an impressive rod....
<Celev> *chuckle*
<Mayor> I heard that Master Hammet was headed toward Lunpa.
<Thena> Yeah, we saw him head there ourselves.
<Mayor> Such a rich man... he's probably been kidnapped by now, I imagine.
<BV> My poor master. ._.;
<Mayor> There, there, don't worry. They'll probably just ransom him for gold. At worst, he'll be missing a few fingers.
<BV> I need to rescue him!
<Mayor> He'll be safe, just wait for the ransom demands. Anyway, thank you, all of you, for taking out the thieves. We won't actually reward you or anything, but you have our thanks.
<Celev> Cheap ass. >:|
<Mayor> *sigh* Fine, fine, come visit me at my house before you leave. I'll dig up some trinket to give you. *flees*
<BV> *sigh* I wish I could save Master Hammet... but you guys have your own mission, so I can't ask you for help. ._.;
<Celev> Yeah, sorry bro.
<BV> I'll just have to rescue him myself! Thanks for your help in finding the thieves, though. See ya! <3 *flees*​

Once BV was gone, too, Celev and I headed out of the inn and back to the town. We stopped by the mayor's house for our reward: a Water of Life, woohoo! \o/ We checked the shops to look into upgrading our gear, then headed back on our way to see what adventures the future would bring us.

<Celev> Future adventures are probably going to lead us back to BV, aren't they?
<Thena> Yep.
<Celev> We're gonna get stuck helping him save his stupid master, aren't we?
<Thena> Yep.
<Celev> *sigh* The life of an RPG protagonist...
<Thena> Hey, at least he's rich, so maybe we'll get a real reward this time.
<Celev> Somehow, I doubt it... ._.;;​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 4 Squire
Celev: Lv 4 Guard

Thena: Lv 4 Squire

Cure, Catch*, Move, Retreat, Quake, Earthquake

Items:
Weapon: Bandit's Sword
Bodywear: Travel Vest
Headgear: Leather Cap
Armwear: Wooden Shield
Other: Catch Beads

Djinn:
Flint: (Venus) "Strike a blow that can cleave stone."

Celev: Lv 4 Guard

Move, Flare, Fire

Items:
Weapon: Battle Axe

Djinn:

N/A

* - Indicates Psynergy gained from an equip-able item.

Player Notes:

Hurray, we actually get to play the game! \o/

We also now have our first Djinn. By default, it went to Athena (since it's a Venus Djinni and all), but feel free to vote if you'd like to see it go to Celev! This early in the game, there's not a whole lot of customization available, though. Athena gets a straight stat boost from having the Djinn, whereas Celev would class change into a "Brute", have some stat gains and some losses (all fairly minor), lose his Fire-based attacks, and gain the "Growth" Psynergy (a basic one-target attack/utility Psynergy). If at any point you'd like to me share what various Djinn-swapping/class-changing would do, just ask.

The Djinn as listed in the party details will all following the same format as Flint: Name: (Type) "In-game description". I'll make sure to note whenever we gain more. There's 28 throughout the whole course of the game, but of course we're only in the very beginning stages now.

Not too much happening yet, but it's nice to actually start playing the game. The thieves are kind of a mini-boss and took a few rounds to take down, though we weren't actually in any real danger. Sadly, BV has moved on for now, but he'll be joining our party again soon enough, as Celev and Thena hinted at towards the end there.

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! :)

Chapter 4: Rich jerk causes an evil tree curse

Celev and I figure that we might as well go up to this town of Lunpa and help out BV to move the plot along a little, but the town's gates are sealed shut and the guards refuse to allow us entry. We inspect a nearby cave that might potentially be a sekrit entrance, but can't figure out a way through, so we shrug and head back, exploring the world and beating up random monsters as we went. With the south bridge out, that cut off out exploration options quite a bit, so we ended up heading back to Vault and then onward in an eastern direction, eventually coming to a new area that the narration pop up helpfully told us was called "Goma Cave Entrance".

We couldn't actually see the cave yet, but there was a steam to cross over and a few small moving puzzles. We came to one particular tree stump that would need to be moved for us to continue, but it happened to be covered in a bunch of leaves, and for some reason, this stopped us from being able to move the stump.

<Celev> Why do these leaves stop us from moving this stump? That doesn't make any sense!
<BV> *enters* Clearly it's because the plot needed an excuse for me to come save the day!
<Thena> BV, what are you doing here? Weren't you supposed to go rescue Master Mustache?
<BV> Stupid Lunpa guards wouldn't let me in so I, uh, kind of gave up. >_>
<Celev> Way to be a quitter, BV! \o/
<BV> Well, it wasn't just that... honestly, I kept thinking about you guys and your quest. And I couldn't help but feel that being a protagonist in an RPG party would be much more fun and exciting than just being an NPC that pops up occasionally.
<Celev> Good call. Bad things tend to happen to NPC in this game anyway. <_<
<BV> So, I thought I would try to find you, and I did! Will you let me travel along with you and help out and be a cool main character and stuff?
<Thena> Sure! Welcome aboard.
<BV> Thanks! :D The first thing I'll do to help out is get rid of those leaves for you...​

BV raised his arms and used a Psynergy called Whirlwind to blow away the leaves from around the stump, freeing it so we could use Move to push it aside.

<Celev> I still can't believe we needed to have a separate Psynergy to blow those leaves away...
<Thena> Hey, they had to make the wind-based Psynergy useful for something...
<Celev> Fair enough.
<BV> So, are you guys going through this cave to get to Bilibin?
<Thena> Actually, we just came to the cave because it was the only place we could figure out where to go.
<BV> Oh, well, fair enough. Lead onward!​

We had to use BV's wid Psynergy to open the cave entrance too (I guess they must be some pretty heavy leaves or something that we couldn't just, you know, move them aside with our hands or something) and then we were inside the cave. It was pretty, you know, cave-y inside: rock walls, some water here and there, a few push-this-thing puzzles, wandering monsters. The usual. BV was kind of your stereotypical fragile mage type; can't hit worth a damn but powerful magic attacks and plenty of PP to use them.

As we progressed through the cave, we managed to find another Djinni! This one wasn't quite as immediately friendly as Flint, and we needed to battle it before it would let itself be captured. It was actually a pretty tough battle, more offensive power than the thieves for sure, but we managed to subdue it in time. Once we defeated it, it was happy to join us, and I gave it to Celev since it was a Mars type and all.

Shortly after that battle, we found the exit from the cave and immediately came across the town of Bilibin. We almost immediately blew all of our accumulated gold to buy me a sweet sword, but then we couldn't afford anything else, so we walked around the town and talked to the villagers. We slowly were able to piece together a pretty bizarre story about some rich jerk in town hiring people to chop down a bunch of trees to build a fancy palace for us wife and angering the trees to cause some kind of tree curse to bewitch the neighboring town of Kolima and turn the people there into trees. We also discovered a sekrit passageway underneath the town that led us to another Djinni! This one didn't force us to fight him, and it was a Jupiter Djinni, so we gave it happily to BV.

Eventually, we headed to the north side of town where the aforementioned rich jerk had started the construction of his wife's palace next to an already immense mansion. Rich people, man, they just never have enough. None of us really gave a crap about the tree curse, but we were pretty sure the plot would lead us there anyway, so we went inside rich jerk's house to pay him a visit.

<McCoy> Och, laddy, me name is McCoy, so I talk with a wee bit of a Scottish accent, aye?
<Thena> Of course, it's RPG Character Trope #27, we understand, please continue.
<McCoy> Anybutts, ye laddies heard about the tree curse, right? With erryone turning into trees in Kolima and all?
<Celev> More or less, yeah.
<McCoy> And ye heard about me hirin' some champions to kill the evil trees and end the curse and free Kolima, aye?
<Thena> Well, we're RPG protagonists, so we'd probably be pretty good at the whole "ending evil curses and freeing towns" thing.
<McCoy> Yeah, well, sorry, but ye look like kids, and ye don't have a single reference, so I'm afraid I cannae be lettin' ye go. If ye were a proper strapping adult protagonist, that might be something, but yer, what, 14 or thereabouts?
<Thena> :|
<Celev> Well, what if we just go without your permission?
<McCoy> Och, laddy, ye see, we build a barricade over the path to stop people from getting themselves cursed and all, and the only way through is with this key that I have in my pants.
<BV> Ewww...
<McCoy> So, no, ye can't go by yerselves. Now, be off with ye so I can finish me haggis.​

BV, Celev, and I looked at each other, shrugged, and exited the room. But before we could leave the mansion, one of the guards pulled me aside for a moment.

<Guard> Hey, psst, you, RPG protagonist guy.
<Thena> 'Sup?
<Guard> I know McCoy doesn't believe in you and all, but, well, the guy's a dope, and frankly we're desperate. None of the other "champions" have come back. So, I'll tell you a secret.
<Thena> :O?
<Guard> I was part of the building detail on that barricade, and I'll tell you... well, we did a pretty crappy job of it. Really. We're not paid for that sort of thing, you know? Anyway, you can probably get passed it, even without his stupid key. So, go end the curse for us, okay?
<Thena> Sure, fine, we'll go.​

Soon, we were back on the road heading east and it wasn't long before we came across the barricade. It really was pretty crappy, just a bunch of crates pushed together to form a wall. We used our Psynergy to move one of them aside and we were easily through. Our first stop was to check out the town of Kolima, but since everyone was turned into trees, there wasn't exactly a whole lot we could do. We did, however, spot another Venus Djinni trapped in a pen behind someone's house and solved a quick puzzle to rescue it and add it onto our team. Score!

With nothing much to do in Kolima, we left again and headed to the forest that was supposedly home to the trees that were causing the tree curse. It was a pretty cool forest, with all sorts of shimmery, shiny lights decorating the leaves.

<BV> Huh, I wonder what all those shimmery lights are?
<ManTree> They are my CURSE! Mwahahahahaha!!
<GirlTree> facepalm.jpg
<Celev> Wait a second. I... I can't move!​

I couldn't move either! All three of us were paralyzed somehow and powerless to move, though we could still talk to each other. The disembodied tree voices seemed to have fallen silent.

<BV> Ohgod, it's raining more glitter. Guys... I think we're about to be turned into trees.
<Thena> Oh, don't worry about it.
<Celev> What do you mean, don't worry? We're about to be hit by an evil tree curse!
<Thena> Nah, we're protagonists, something will save us, just you wait.
<BV> Too late, I already peed myself in fear.​

BV, Celev, and I all lay on the ground, helpless and bickering at each other, as the cloud of falling glitter came closer and closer. Then suddenly, right before the cloud could wash over us, glowing purple barriers appeared around each of us, protecting us from harm. When the glitter disappeared, so did the barriers.

<BoyTree> Noooooo!!! My magic, foiled!
<Celev> Oh, hey, I can move again too, neat!
<BV> I... I think that was our Psynergy, forming protective barriers around us to shield us from harm.
<Thena> I was just going to write it off as "deus ex machina saves the protagonists" again, but go ahead and justify it if you feel like it.
<Celev> What do you think of that, you punk mean tree! We defeated your silly curse!
<BoyTree> You meddling kids! I know you can't see me, but I'm shaking my fist right now!
<Celev> Yeah, well, as soon as we figure out where your disembodied tree voice is coming from, we're going to show up and kick your ass!
<GirlTree> You know, he's really a very nice tree on the inside, but he's dying, and people were trying to cut him down, and, well, it really pissed him off. But you can't just kill him, please! If you do, all of the people affected by the tree curse will die for some reason. Also, I'll be sad. So you need to calm him down and get him to remove the curse himself.
<BoyTree> Hah, fat chance of that happening.
<Thena> So, uh, Ms. Mice Tree, do you have any tips for calming him down?
<GirlTree> Well, uh, you could try finding his gentle side, I guess?
<Celev> Would that be his north side, or his south side?
<GirlTree> I guess you'll find out! Good luck adventurers.
<BV> Something tells me we're going to need that luck...
<Thena> Onward, into the forest dungeon!​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 6 Knight
Celev: Lv 6 Guard
BV: Lv 6 Wind Seer

Thena: Lv 6 Knight

Cure, Catch*, Move, Retreat, Quake, Earthquake, Spire

Items:
Weapon: Broad Sword

Djinn:
Granite: (Venus) "Create a mighty earthen barrier."

Celev: Lv 6 Guard

Move, Flare, Fire, Flare Wall

Items:
Weapon: Battle Axe

Djinn:

Forge: (Mars) "Boost party Attack with flame's fury."

BV: Lv 6 Wind Seer

Whirlwind, Mind Read, Ray

Items:
Weapon: Shaman's Rod
Headgear: Circlet
Armwear: Leather Armlet

Djinn:

Gust: (Jupiter) "Attack with mighty wind gusts."

Player Notes:

Kind of a short chapter today, but it's getting late and I still have some other stuff I gotta get done today, and this seemed like a good spot to stop. BV has now officially joined our party for good, yay! We pack a decent amount of firepower now, thanks to his strong magical attacking abilities, though it's practically worthless to make him hit anything.

We've also managed to increase our Djinn number by quite a lot, with 4 total now, woohoo. :3 Once again, feel free to speak up to move the Djinn around if you like, for now they're just in their default positions to match the appropriate Adept. Having 2 Venus Djinn Set has now bumped Thena up to being a Knight; fancy~

Not much else to say at this point, but I hope you enjoy the chapter. :3

<Celev> Good call. Bad things tend to happen to NPC in this game anyway. <_<
Yep. >_<

Also, I just realized that Saturos and Menardi don't seem to play by the 5-character rules. I know they're the antagonists, but even the antagonists shouldn't be able to break the game, right?

Saturos = bb
Menardi = KoN

Other NPCs break the rules all the time, but no one cares about them.

Chapter 5: Our first full-sized dungeon! \o/

BV, Celev, and I gathered our wits and entered the forest. In addition to the usual monsters, each sections of the forest had small, log-rolling puzzles that needed to be solved in order to progress, sometimes pushing the logs back and forth to have room to maneuver around the stumps of cut down trees, sometimes pushing other logs into water to act as makeshift bridges. Eventually we came to an area with a puzzle so complex that we actually didn't have any random encounters. There was one large body of water in the middle of the section with some logs floating, but the logs weren't spaced properly to jump all the way across properly. There was a dam with a switch on one end keeping the water in place.

<BV> Hmmm, it looks like we'll have to use that floodgate switch to complete the puzzle. That should make the water disappear so we can roll the logs to the position we need to cross.
<Celev> Oh, yeah, in fact, we only need to push one log one way to make it. This puzzle is super simple!
<Thena> On the surface, yes, but if we move the logs in a more complicated pattern we should be able to reach that area there that has a treasure chest.
<Celev> Ooooh, treasure. :O​

BV flipped the switch and Celev and I went down below to move the logs about. It look some trial and error to figure out the correct pattern necessary to reach the treasure, but we were eventually rewarded with a nice fur coat that we gave to BV.

<Celev> Awww... why does BV get the treasure? :<
<Thena> Because he's a fragile mage and he needs all the extra defense he can get.
<Celev> But but but.
<Thena> You can get the next cool treasure, ok?
<Celev> Fiiiiiine.​

We left the clearing and went into the next section where we finally found the GirlTree and BoyTree that has been talking to us back at the entrance to the forest.

<GirlTree> Oh, hey guys, 'sup? I'm afraid Tret here is getting worse and worse...
<BV> Tret?
<GirlTree> You know, the one that tried to curse you?
<Thena> Oh, we were just calling him BoyTree and you GirlTree.
<Laurel> Fair enough, but my real name is Laurel and it's shorter and easier to type, too, so you may as well use that.
<Thena> Alright, done.
<Laurel> Anyway, Tret's almost dead now. If you guys are going to do something, you should probably hurry. Climb up that vine and enter the second part of the dungeon.
<Celev> Aww, man, I was hoping we'd finished the dungeon already.
<Thena> Nah, that part was much too fast. Let's go!​

Sure enough, there was a vine hanging in front of the Tret tree next to his sleeping face and we were able to use it to climb up and inside of him. It was kind of weird being, you know, inside someone we were talking to before, but OH WELL. We slowly progressed our way forward, sometimes inside Tret's trunk, hopping over spider webs, sometimes outside, clambering over his branches. We found another treasure chest inside, and true to my promise, I gave its contents to Celev: a Healing Ring. We also found our second Jupiter Djinni, Breeze, which was given to BV.

At the top level of the tree dunegon , we completed our final spider web jumping puzzle to fall down in just the right spot, eventually landing at the bottom most level where we came face to face with Tret's inner face. I had a sinking feeling a boss fight was coming, and I didn't know how touch it would be, so I had all of us un-set our Djinn to prepare to send out strongest summons up against him as soon as possible. When we were ready, we confidently walked up to him.

<Tret> Hmmm HOOOOOOOM. >:|
<Thena> Still pissed off, huh?
<Tret> Of course I'm pissed off! You think you can come inside me and taunt me?
<Celev> Well, we know your evil tree curse doesn't work on us, so....
<Tret> Hah! You might have been protected out in the forest, but you're literally INSIDE the heart my power as we speak! You fools have no chance to escape!
<BV> Oh dear, I guess we're going to have to fight after all.
<Thena> Did you really have any doubt? This is what being an RPG protagonist is all about!
<BV> *sigh* Maybe I should have thought about my career choices a bit more...​

Soon, battle was joined! We released all of our summons right away to do a good chunk of damage, and then Celev and BV kept up the attack while I mostly used my powers to heal, since I was the only member of our party with healing Psynergy. Eventually, we managed to knock him out, earning a nice chunk of EXP in the process.

<Tret> Oh.... hmmm... mmm... what.... what's going on?
<Celev> You mean you don't know? o_o;
<BV> Amnesia, perhaps.
<Thena> Well, the short version is that you went berserk and cursed a bunch of people to turn into trees in your rage.
<Tret> Oh... oh my. I suppose you 3 defeated the evil within me?
<Thena> Er, something like that I guess. But you're probably still going to die, sorry.
<Tret> Well, at least I will die as myself.
<BV> Do you think you could please remove the curse before you shuffle off this mortal coil?
<Tret> I suppose that would be the proper thing to do yes....​

Tret closed his eyes and concentrated, lines of power visibly emerging from his head... but then he stopped.

<Tret> It looks like I'm too weak and my power can't reach far enough anymore. Whoops!
<Celev> So, uh, the people of Kolima...
<Tret> Sorry, but there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm simply too close to death. Perhaps if there were some magic potion that could restore my vitality...
<Thena> Well, we'll see what we can do for you. There's bound to be magic potions like that somewhere. Just, uh, try and hang on in the meantime, okay buddy?
<Tret> I'll do my best.​

BV, Celev, and I climbed out of the tree and headed backwards through the forest, retracing our steps out of the forest and back to the main map.

<Celev> So, uh, what now, fearless leader?
<Thena> Well... the tree town is still useless to us, so, uh, I guess we head back to the last town we went to. At least we can upgrade our gear a bit now, rest in a proper inn, and figure out where to go from there.
<BV> Sounds good. I could use a real bed.​

And so we backtracked some more, all the way back through the half-assed barricade and into Bilibin, where we upgraded our gear some more (Real armor!) and snoozed off the night to regain all the PP we'd spent in the boss fight. In the morning, we inspected the world map a bit and saw that there was a path leading north that we had ignored in our easterly quest to save the trees, so we followed up that way and eventually found ourselves at the creatively-named Bilibin Cave. We solved a simple puzzle at the entrance to reach another treasure chest, and this time it was my turn to claim the prize, an Elven Rapier. We went through the cave and saw some water spots and frozen columns that looked like they were probably part of a puzzle, but none of us has any water-related powers, so we figured that stuff must be for later and so we moved on, finding our way to the exit and back to the overworld.

Outside again, we couldn't help but notice that the climate had changed significantly. There was now snow on the ground, and the monsters were also more adapted to the cold. We followed the path and eventually came to the snow-covered town of Imil. We stayed at the inn and talked to the villagers, and we quickly learned that there was a terrible epidemic in the town and many people were ill, including the shopkeepers. The town's main healer, PMJ, was running herself ragged trying to keep the people of the town healthy. After solving a quick puzzle to pick up a second Mars Djinni for Celev, we finally found PMJ inside the home of an elderly couple. She used the Psynergy Ply to restore his health and then looked up and saw us.

<PMJ> Oh hey guys, 'sup?
<Thena> It's a pleasure to meet you! We're--​

Before I could say anything further, a huge flash of light was visible through the window in the house. PMJ immediately ran to the window and looked out to find the source of the light.

<PMJ> It can't be... the Lighthouse...
<Celev> Lighthouse? That sounds familiar...
<PMJ> But I'm the only one.... except... Vom!!!​

At that exclamation, she rushed out of the house. BV, Celev, and I shrugged and followed her. We headed east out of the town towards a very large, teal coloured tower on a small peninsula by the ocean. As we approached the entrance, we found PMJ standing around and muttering to herself.

<PMJ> No, it just can't be...
<Thena> So, uh, what's happening?
<PMJ> This is the Mercury Lighthouse.
<Everyone> Oooooooooooh.
<PMJ> Vom is the only person aside from me who has the power to enter it, so he must be inside, but... that Statue is blocking my way and I can't get in. :<
<Celev> *cracks knuckles* Sounds like a job for... Move Psynergy!​

Celever jumped up and used his Psynergy to move the statue to the side, revealing a glowing portal.

<PMJ> I saw a ghostly force moving that statue... did you do that? :O
<Celev> Yep!
<BV> Yeah, it's Psynergy, just like the power you were using to heal that old guy in the house!
<PMJ> Oh, I never knew there was a fancy term for it, I just know it as the power that is handed down to members of the Mercury Clan.
<Celev> Hey, we come from a town wh--
<PMJ> I'm sorry, I'd love to chat with you later, but right now I really need to get into the Lighthouse and figure out what kind of shenanigans are afoot. Maybe later. Ta!​

With a wave of her hand, PMJ cast Ply again, this time using the power to change the shimmering portal into regular, old fashioned doorway. Without a glance behind her, she jumped the gap and rushed in. BV, Celev, and I followed her inside, into the Mercury Lighthouse.

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 10 Knight
Celev: Lv 10 Soldier
BV: Lv 10 Magician

Thena: Lv 10 Knight

Cure, Cure Well, Catch*, Move, Retreat, Quake, Earthquake, Spire,

Items:
Weapon: Elven Rapier
Bodywear: Leather Armor
Armwear: Bronze Shield

Djinn:

Celev: Lv 10 Soldier

Move, Flare, Fire, Flare Wall, Volcano

Items:
Bodywear: Leather Armor
Accessory: Healing Ring

Djinn:
Fever: (Mars) "Wrap a foe in feverish delusion."

BV: Lv 10 Wind Seer

Whirlwind, Mind Read, Ray, Plasma, Impact

Items:
Weapon: Witch's Wand
Bodywear: Fur Coat
Headgear: Circlet
Armwear: Leather Gloves

Djinn:
Breeze: (Jupiter) "Boost party resistance."

Player Notes:

Another cliffhanger ending, but the Mercury Lighthouse is going to be nice and long, so I figured it would be good to stop and do it all at once then stop at some awkward place in the middle. On the bright side, we've met PMJ! It won't be too long until she's chilling out with us. (lolololololol horrible water pun)

The sub-plot with the tree curse and everything has always felt... really awkward and creepy to me. Maybe that's just my botanophobia coming through? Trees turning people into other trees to punish them for cutting down trees. It's pretty clear visually that Tret and Laurel are, like, the only talking, thinking trees in the forest (for one, they have faces), but the people-turned-into-trees look... really weird (you can see a few of them in this random screenshot here) and it's just... I dunno, this whole section of story is really bizarre to me. It's not the last we'll be seeing of Tret (after all, we still have to come back and heal him), but it's mostly over now.

We're really starting to get into the meat of the game now, though, which is nice. Mercury Lighthouse is one of the bigger (and most important) dungeons of the game, and we'll have a full party soon, too.

We've also got some more Djinn, so, as usual, speak up if you want to swap around, or if you'd like me to ramble some more specific stuff about swapping and class trees. Everyone's got their own 2 Djinn now, which makes BV a Magician and Celev a Soldier in their respective current class trees.

As always, I hope you're enjoying reading along! <3

Chapter 6: Mercury Lighthouse

BV, Celev, and I stepped into the Lighthouse and found ourselves in an antechamber with water along the sides and another door leading further into the dungeon on the far side. In the middle of the room, a large lizard monster was toying with PMJ, preventing her from entering. We knocked-out the monster, but before we could say a word to PMJ, she nodded at us and ran past us into the doorway. *sigh* We followed up after her, first entering a large room with a pool of water and the large Statue of a near the middle, then going through a few short corridors and rooms and up a flight of stairs. We finally found PMJ once more at a block in her path, this time another statue that required moving.

<Celev> Let me get that for you my lady! *moves statue*
<PMJ> Oh dear, it seems I keep needing your help after all.
<Thena> Then I guess it's a good thing we need to get to the top of this Lighthouse, too. We'd be happy to help you out.
<PMJ> I dunno... only members of the Mercury Clan are supposed to be able to enter the Lighthouse...
<BV> Don't worry, you can trust us. After all, we're RPG protagonists!
<PMJ> Excellent! In that case, let me join you.​

And so PMJ joined our party. As a mage-type like BV, she was physically weak but had access to nice magic, including her Ply which meant that we now had 2 potential healers. She also came with a Mercury Djinni of her own, sweet! With her in tow, we continued on into the depths of the dungeon, and completing a few small puzzles that led to us sliding down a ramp and landing on a single tile in the pool of water with the goddess statue that we had seen before. PMJ once again cast her Ply, this time on the statue, and then both statue and tile began to glow with light.

<Thena> So, uh, now what? We're trapped on this tile and we can't go anywhere.
<PMJ> Try jumping on the water. That glowing statue bit should have done something for us.​

Sure enough, the power of PMJ's Play on the statues gave the tile power to give to us to jump 3 spaces on the water without any bricks. Basically, we solved one small puzzle to unlock a new way to complete more puzzles. Celev wanted to keep jumping on the water, but I pulled him back and we continued back into the Lighthouse, this time having a few more options available to us to proceed. We followed one water-jumping path to a dead end that led to a treasure chest and a Mimic and then proceeded onto the next room that took the water-jumping up a notch and turned it into a puzzle. We found another treasure chest and eventually figured out the correct path to proceed deeper into the dungeon.

We moved up to the next level, solved a simple pipe-rolling puzzle to resume a flow of water, though the next puzzle room was a bit more complicated, requiring us to manipulate jets of water to push a statue in a certain way and make it fall down a hole. Once the statue fell to the lower level, we were able to push it ourselves into a groove that unlocked the next door. We continued onward, solving small puzzles and fighting monsters as they came. We also battled a Mercury Djinni that we found hidden behind a waterfall, and once we defeated it, we gave it to PMJ.

Eventually we came to another room with a Goddess-statue related puzzle that required PMJ to cast Ply. This time, a golden, shimmering glow coated the waterfall we had walked through on our way here, enabling us to actually ride the waterfall upward to the next level of the Lighthouse. PMJ volunteered to test it out first, and then one by one, we rode to the top, eventually finding ourselves on the very top of the Lighthouse itself, on a small platform off to the side. We brushed ourselves off and then jumped over the few remaining floating platforms to the very center peak of the Lighthouse where a great, blue orb was glowing and spinning in the air.

<Celev> I can't believe it! We're too late! It's already been lit. :<
<PMJ> But... but... you need the Mercury Star to light the Lighthouse...
<Thena> Yeah, about that.... >_>​

We quickly told our story to PMJ, how we came from a town that had been built around the Sol Sanctum to protect the Stars but that they had been stolen. Somehow, telling her about our own screw-ups made her feel a bit better about her own, since she was sworn to protect the Lighthouse itself. It was a nice, cozy moment, interrupted by the shouting of a voice I hadn't heard in 5 chapters.

<PP> Thena! Celev!
<Everyone> :O!​

We looked over to the other side of the Lighthouse, opposite to the balcony we had arrived on, and Jaber, PP, DNA, and KoN preparing to make their descent.

<KoN> Ohwow, you brats managed to survive somehow after all! I suppose you're here to rescue your little girlfriend, eh?
<Celev> And the Stars, too! We know what you're up to and we won't let you get away with it!
<KoN> *sigh* So, you've decided to fight against us. I was afraid of that. I guess we'll have to take care of you.
<Thena> And speaking of "we"... where is bb anyway?
<bb> Right here! *pops out* I was admiring the view from the top of the Lighthouse.
<Thena> So, you're going to fight us together again?
<bb> Nah, I'll let KoN sit this one out and take care of the hostages, so it'll just be me.
<KoN> Awww.... but I wanna fight too.... :<
<bb> Look, I'm creating a distraction for you to escape, ok? Take those guys and start going to the next Lighthouse.
<KoN> Fine. :\
<BV> Ohnoes, they're getting away!
<PP> Thena, Celev, save me! D:
<DNA> Don't die, guys!​

Before we could do anything, the balcony platform start descending like an elevator taking KoN, Jaber, PP, and DNA down and leaving BV, Celev, PMJ, and I with bb.

<bb> So, let's do this! If you want to get to them, you have to go through me. :3
<Celev> Oh, geez, even 4 against 1, I'm not sure we can beat this guy.
<PMJ> He certainly does seem quite a bit more fearsome than the enemies we encountered in the Lighthouse. :<
<Thena> Nah, we got this, trust me.
<bb> Hah! Such confidence. I can still wipe all four of you guys out with one-hand tied behind my back! Come on!​

The boss battle against bb was definitely the most difficult we'd faced so far. We opened up with powerful summons right at the beginning of the battle, but it only gave a small dent to his HP. He attacked us back with strong Fire-based attacks and even managed to Delude Celev and I once each, forcing us to constantly be healing and on the defensive. Since PMJ and I could only heal one at a time, it was a long battle of attrition, with Celev and BV doing most of the damage while PMJ and I kept us going, hoping against hope that no one would get KOed since we had no Reviving Psynergy yet. Eventually, finally, bb was KOed and we could rest.

<bb> Wow, geez, okay, maybe the power of the stupid Lighthouse is more than I thought. If I were at my full strength, though... *feebly shakes fist*
<BV> Wait, what? What about the Lighthouse?
<bb> Pah, stupid mouth of mine. None of your business.
<Vom> Oh, come on bb, let's indulge in a little plot information, shall we?
<bb> *sigh* Fiiiiine~
<PMJ> Wait, I know that voice...​

Vom popped out from behind the Lighthouse orb just like bb had earlier, and the shock of recognition ran across PMJ's face.

<PMJ> It's Vom!
<Vom> Oh, hey PMJ, 'sup?
<PMJ> What are you doing here?! This whole thing is FORBIDDEN!
<Vom> Awww, don't be such a spoilsport, PMJ. The Mercury Lighthouse is wonderful! Didn't you feel it's power flowing through you during the battle?
<PMJ> Well, my PP did keep getting restored each round...
<Vom> Exactly! We're members of the Mercury Clan, which makes us powerful Mercury Adepts.
<Celev> Oh, like I'm a Mars Adept and Thena's a Venus Adept.
<BV> Don't forget me! Jupiter Adept represent. :3
<PMJ> So, I guess our powers really are very similar after all, just different facets of the same crystal.
<Thena> But what does this have to do with bb?
<Vom> Well, bb is a Mars Adept, and Fire and Water are opposite elements. So, all of this Mercury energy rushing around weakened him a lot. Which was lucky for you guys, since obviously you wouldn't have stood a chance otherwise.
<Celev> Thanks for the vote of confidence. :|
<Vom> Hell, even though I appreciated the power of the Lighthouse more than bb did, I thought he would still pull off the win, which is why I sat by watching and eating popcorn instead of helping him out.
<bb> Next time feel free to jump in, even if you don't think I need it... x_x;
<Vom> Oh dear, you don't give me enough credit bb. After all, I've been standing here and stalling to give you enough time to regain your strength so we can escape.
<PMJ> Dude, that's totally not fair!
<BV> Yeah, we're not going to let you get away!
<Vom> So, what, you're just going to kill him? You don't have the balls to kill someone in cold blood.
<Celev> Yeah, well, we'll see about that...
<Thena> No, Celev, stand down. We might have been barely able to take care off bb, but...
<PMJ> Vom's powers are enhanced by the Lighthouse, like mine, so we wouldn't stand a chance against him. I know how powerful of an Adept he is.
<Vom> Heh, you might think so, but I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that you don't even know about...​

In a flash, Vom and bb disappeared, then reappeared off to the side, closer to the elevator platform that KoN and the others had used to escape.

<PMJ> Holy ^$#!&, you can teleport now?!
<Celev> You mean you can't? Damn, I was hoping that was just a standard Mercury power thing. Sure would come in handy.
<BV> Stop talking about the stupid teleporting; he's going to get away with the Stars!
<Thena> Ohshi-
<Vom> Ahahahaha, you're much too late for that anyway since KoN is the one who has them.
<Thena> Oh. >_>
<Celev> Well, we'll just have to keep following you and take them later. We're getting stronger all the time, and we did catch up to you here! >:|
<Vom> Oh, yes, such a brave little RPG party you are. I suppose we will, indeed, see you again. After all, we still need to take the Mars Star from you, too. Have fun! ^_^​

Vom teleported himself and bb one more time, this time onto the elevator platform. He then waved and blew kisses at us as they descended to the ground below.

<BV> Aaaaand... they're gone.
<PMJ> I feel like such a failure. :<
<Celev> Awww, it's okay. We're all failures. *hugs*
<Thena> We'll just have to stop them before they can light the rest of the Lighthouses. There's 3 left.
<PMJ> And now you'll have me coming along to help you. ^_^
<BV> But PMJ, you can't leave! What about the epidemic that's affecting your town?
<PMJ> Well, one good thing about the Lighthouse being lit is that the Water of Hermes should be flowing again.
<Thena> What's that?
<PMJ> Follow me and I'll show you!​

The elevator platform came back up and we rode it down to the base of the Lighthouse. At the very entranceway, near where we met up with PMJ before, a fountain had come to life, filling a basin with clue blue water. Already various NPC villagers had come to the fountain to drink its waters.

<Celev> So, the fountain is working, great. Everyone gets fresh water. Hurray?
<PMJ> This is no ordinary water, it's healing water! Who needs a healer when they can just drink magic water to get better, amirite?
<BV> Hmmmm... I wonder if this would help out Tret.
<Thena> Good thinking! Let's bottle some up and give it a try.​

We spent the night in Imil to rest up, then refreshed our gear and began the journey back south to where the creepy tree people (treeple?) lived. Unfortunately, we had to do all the log rolling puzzles in the forest again, but none of them were terribly difficult, and the monsters were all pushovers, too, thanks to our higher levels. Once we found our way to the trying tree, we poured the entire bottle of water over him and he started pulsing with light.

<Tret> Ooooh, yeah, that feels nice.
<Celev> Are you going to be okay?
<Tret> I think, so, yeah.
<BV> So you can remove the tree curse now?
<Tret> I suppose I ought to, after all the trouble you guys have gone through. *closes eyes and mumbles for a bit* There you go. All of the people that were turned into trees have been turned back into people.
<Laurel> Finally. Now try and keep your temper in check.
<Tret> Yes dear. ._.;
<Laurel> It's all the faults of those glowing purple crystals that fell from the sky, really. He never had power like this until a few of them snacked him in the head.
<Thena> Huh, I bet those were Psynergy stones that were spread from the volcano eruption.
<Tret> Whatever they were, they were super powerful!
<Celev> I guess that incident in Sol Sanctum really did mess a lot of things up. >_>
<Laurel> Indeed. They've given Tret and I strange powers, turned animals into monsters, all sorts of weird things. There's another forest south of here that's even more badly effected and evil.
<PMJ> Well, we're working to make things right again, so don't you worry. ^_^
<Thena> I guess we should go back and visit that Scottish dude and see if he'll give us the treasure for saving the town....
<Celev> Yay, treasure! \o/​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 12 Knight
Celev: Lv 11 Soldier
BV: Lv 11 Magician
PMJ: Lv 11 Scribe

Items:
Weapon: Elven Rapier
Bodywear: Psynergy Armor
Headgear: Open Helm

Djinn:

Celev: Lv 11 Soldier

Move, Flare, Fire, Flare Wall, Volcano

Items:
Bodywear: Adept's Clothes

Djinn:

BV: Lv 10 Magician

Items:
Bodywear: Fur Coat
Headgear: Wooden Cap

Djinn:
Breeze: (Jupiter) "Boost party resistance."

PMJ: Lv 10 Scribe

Ply, Cure Poison, Frost, Tundra, Ice,
Items:
Weapon: Blessed Ankh

Djinn:
Fizz: (Mercury) "Restore HP with calming water."
Sleet: (Mercury) "Drench a foe to drop its Attack."

Player Notes:

Mercury Lighthouse, complete! \o/ And our first actual semi-difficult boss fight, too; I think I'm a bit under-leveled but OH WELL. Strategy prevails. The puzzles in this Lighthouse were on the easy side, but still fun. I like the introduction of new mechanics and how they're used to solve problems.

And also we finally have our full party with PMJ, hurray! Her default class tree setup is basically a healer-type with some offensive magic as well, though obviously this can get messed around with as well by swapping Djinn. And speaking of Djinn, we're now up to 8, 4 of each, which means we can start doing some rudimentary swapping to dual-element class tree options if we like, though obviously all of our available classes get more powerful the more Djinn we collect.

I'll actually probably do a rambling thing about Class Trees at some point just so people get a better idea of what their options are.

For now, we're just chilling in our default classes, nothing wrong with that; a nice spread of elemental damage, along with some healing and just plain old whacking things.

I.... don't actually remember exactly where the plot goes from here, so I guess we'll have fun exploring together. Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Chapter 7: Derping our way across the continent

We made our way back to Bilibin in hopes of a reward, and were immediately spotted by the guards as soon as we approached McCoy's house.

<Guard> Oi! You guys! You're the ones who broke the tree curse, ain't you?
<Celev> Yes, that's us! We're here for our rew--
<Guard> You're under arrest!
<BV> Wait, what?
<PMJ> I protest! I had nothing to do with it! >.>​

The guards ignored our pleas and pulled us roughly into McCoy's house and to his office in the back.

<McCoy> Yer the ones who broke the curse, aren't ye? Even though I told ye not to?
<Thena> Well, yes, but--
<McCoy> Thank ye kindly, young heroes! You did a wonderful job!
<Celev> Then why were we arrested? >_>
<McCoy> Och, just a wee bit o' Scottish humour, laddy. Now take yer reward and go back on yer quest, may it do ye fine.​

We got to pick one treasure chest from a line up of 4 and managed to grab a Water of Life, hurray! That done, we headed back through the "barricade" and off to the town of Kolima that would hopefully be a bit more exciting now that its inhabitants were no longer trees. It... wasn't actually very exciting, but we did upgrade our gear a bit (Celev got a sweet, huge axe) and then we moved onwards, following the path until we reached a large folding bridge over a river. Previously, the bridge had probably been stuck open with its proprietor cursed into a tree, but we never made it this far, so I don't know for sure. Regardless, we were able to cross now and make our way further south where we eventually reached the Fuchin Temple.

There were a few people hanging outside the temple, including one guy siting underneath a waterfall (cold!), but only one inside the temple building itself, an old, scrawny man meditating on a rug on the floor. He didn't speak to us, so BV decided to prod his mind a bit.

<Thena> So rude. -_-;
<BV> I just wanted to--
<OldMan> Ooooh, mind reading. You must be adepts. Are you following that group?
<Celev> What group? o_o;
<Thena> He's probably referring to bb and KoN. Yeah, we're following them. Did they pass thr--
<OldMan> Ahahahaha, I knew it! If you want to follow them, you'll have to go through the mysterious Mogall Forest. No ordinary man can pass through there, you know. I ought to know!
<PMJ> So... are you going to help us, then?
<OldMan> Maybe! But first... you must undergo... THE TRIALS OF THE WATERFALL GROTTO.
<Thena> Do we have much choice in the matter?
<OldMan> Not if you want to continue on with the game.
<Thena> Fine, fine, we'll do the stupid waterfall trial. This is all your fault, BV.
<BV> Hey, if I hadn't mind probed him we might not have found out about the weird forest in the first place. >_>
<Thena> Well, keep your mind sharp, since we'll probably have to do that some more in this trial thing.​

We exited the temple and headed back to the waterfall where the guy let us pass through and into the cave beyond the falls. It was a large open room with a large body of water in the middle, and logs floating on the water. At the entrance was a rock slab with text engraved on it...

<Celev> The dragon's flame illuminates the path of truth in darkness... wtf is that supposed to mean?
<PMJ> Well, fire does make it easy to see in darkness. >_>
<Thena> I think it's just a hint for a puzzle in this cave somewhere. Let's see what we can figure out.​

The logs in this cave were different from ones we've used in previous log/water puzzles. This time, when we stepped on the logs they rolled forward, carrying us across the water to the opposite side. The first log we took rolled us to a treasure chest that was secretly a mimic, but the other took us to a longer path that led us deeper in. We hopped around and found another hint rock, this one reading enigmatically, "Rays of light give birth to shadows leading the way."

We shrugged and continued onward, doing some more jumping and rolling and finding a real treasure chest, this one containing an Arctic Blade that I took for myself since I had the weaker melee weapon between Celev and I. We maneuvered around some spikes and rolled more more logs and then we came across another Jupiter Djinni! We defeated it, gave it to BV, and then continued onward, finding another treasure chest with a jewel in it that we were able to put into the statue of a dragon that we found in the next room. As soon as the jewel was in place, the dragon's mouth open and it breathed out a large breath of frame that illuminated the room in front of it, showing an invisible path through the darkness that would lead us onward.

<Thena> Told you it was a puzzle thing.
<Celev> Yeah, but... we would have found the jewel and the dragon statue anyway, they were right in our path, and of course we put the jewel in the statue because, duh, that's like RPG puzzle solving 101, so why did we need the hint anyway?
<PMJ> Dude, have you even seen the intelligence level of most of the NPCs in this world? Compared to the average villager, even you would be considered a genius.​

We went to the other side of the room and followed the invisible path into the deepest levels of the cave. There we opened a treasure chest and found THE GEM OF FORCE, an item that bestows use of the Force Psynergy to anyone who equips it. Celev seemed like the most forceful guy in our group, so we gave it to him, and then backtracked to the entrance and up to the temple where the old dude was waiting for us.

<OldGuy> Ah, I see you have obtained the power of Ki!
<BV> Ki? I thought it was called Force...
<OldGuy> Yes, well, I call it Ki because I'm suppose to be Asian, you see?
<Celev> I don't care whatever you call, it lets me hit things from far away, so I'm happy.
<OldGuy> You will need that power to get through the Mogall Forest successfully. Use it well!​

That was about it for this place. No inn or shops or anything, so we gathered ourselves up and prepared to move onto the upcoming "mysterious" forest.

Current Party!
Celev: Lv 12 Soldier
BV: Lv 12 Magician
PMJ: Lv 12 Scribe

Items:
Weapon: Arctic Blade

Djinn:

Celev: Lv 12 Soldier

Force*, Move, Heat Wave, Flare, Fire, Flare Wall, Volcano

Items:
Weapon: Broad Axe
Other: Orb of Force

Djinn:

BV: Lv 12 Magician

Items:
Armwear: Armlet

Djinn:
Breeze: (Jupiter) "Boost party Resistance."
Zephyr: (Jupiter) "Boost party Agility with swift wind."

PMJ: Lv 12 Scribe

Ply, Cure Poison, Frost, Tundra, Ice,
Items:
Armwear: Armlet
Accessory: Unicorn Ring

Djinn:

Player Notes:

Kind of a random ass chapter, but there you go. I have no idea why the guards arrest you when you reenter Billibin. They say "You're under arrest!" and then lead you in, but the guy is super nice and happy that you broke the curse and the whole arrest thing is just never addressed again. I can't help but feel that something got messed up in translation there somehow.

We've got a pretty good rhythm built up for our random encounters now that we've got a full party. For 1-2 enemies, we're just attacking only, either everyone on 1 guy or Thena/BV on 1 and PMJ/Celev on the other, depending on if they're big enemies or smaller ones. If it's 3 or 4, BV casts Ray (which hits up to 3 enemies in a row) and then Thena, Garet, and PMJ each attack; if anyone's left over, revert to the instructions of the 1-2 mob battles. Thena and PMJ keep up everyone's HP, mostly out of combat, though they can heal in combat if necessary. The nice thing about this strategy is that it's fairly simple and doesn't use a lot of PP, and since PP regenerates as you move along, we always have a good PP pool in case we come to a situation where we need to use a lot at once, like against a Djinni or a Mimic, both of which function as a sort of mini-boss. It also makes sure that we're never hurting for PP when we get to the end of a dungeon and fight a full boss, either, which lets us save our Psy Crystals and other rare drops.

Fuchin Temple is the beginning of the "mini-Asia" section of the game. After all, you can't have a fantasy RPG without sections based on real life cultures. I really don't recall what the Force Psynergy is used for, though, so I guess Celev will get to have a lot of fun hitting things until I figure it out. Wasn't sure how long the Forest section will be so I figured I'd hold off.

Anyway, I'll probably write up that Class Tree guide later today or this weekend. In the meantime, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and there should be a new one on Monday!

An Introduction to Golden Sun's Class System

Since so many of you reading along aren't very familiar with this game, I thought I would give you a little insight into the Class system and what options we have available. Hopefully this will help you understand things better so you can make informed decisions about Djinn assignment and Class decisions, if you choose to weigh in on things. I'm not balls amazing at this game or anything, so if we make some horrible choices I might have to adjust as we go, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be afraid to experiment and see how things go.

The Basics

Everyone has a class. Yay! Each character's default class matches their natural elemental talents: Thena is Venus, Celev is Mars, BV is Jupiter, PMJ is Mercury. Djinn also have natural abilities in each of the 4 elements. If you give a Venus Djinni to Thena, it strengthens her Venus powers and keeps her in her default Squire class tree. Having only Djinn that match a character's natural element keeps them in a Mono-Elemental Class.

However, you can also mix and match Djinn among characters. Giving only Djinn of a single type to a character that has a different natural element will change them into a Dual-Element Class. So, if you give Thena Mercury Djinn only, she will become a dual-element Venus/Mercury class, the Swordsman class tree.

But wait, there's more! Once you start getting lots of Djinn, you can give multiple types of Djinn to the same character. Mixing 3 elements in such a way gives a character access to (you guessed it) a Tri-Elemental Class. These class trees are powerful and require lots of Djinn to access, so they aren't available until late in the game. Thena would need a total of 6 Djinn, 3 Mercury and 3 Mars, in order to have access to the Dragoon class series.

These classes all come in Class Trees. Simply put, the more Djinn your character has, the higher up the tree they go. If you remember, Thena started off as a Squire at the beginning of the game. However, once she obtained 2 Venus Djinn, she was boosted up to a Knight. If she gets 4, she'll be promoted to Gallant, etc. These changes are not simply titles, they also affect the character Stats and Psynergy. Classes higher up in the tree have increased stats (eg, Squire has a 110% Attack boost, but Knight has 120%) and access to stronger Psynergy (if Thena were to become a Gallant, she would automatically gain the Gaia Psynergy) than lower classes.

Now, let's take a look at some of these classes and see what they offer us.

Mono-Elemental Classes

Squire - Venus (Thena only)
Djinn: All Venus Djinn
Squire is Thena's default class tree. If we keep her with only Venus Djinn, this is where she'll stay. The highest level of the Squire class that can be obtained in this game is Lord. All of the attacking Psynergy are Venus based, but Squire also offers access to some useful supporting Psynergy, such as the Cure series which restores HP, and also Revive, which is the only Psynergy that will revive KOed foes. Although this is definitely not the only way to get that particular power, it is the only mono-elemental class that gains that power because it does count as a Venus Psynergy. From a Stats perspective, Guards are pretty fast and have pretty good HP and Attack, though they suffer from somewhat poor defenses and a low PP pool. All in all, Squire is a pretty average class. It's easy to use and has nice utility for many situations.

Guard - Mars (Celev only)
Djinn: All Mars Djinn
Guard is Celev's default class tree. If we keep him with only Mars Djinn, this is where he'll stay. The highest level of the Guard class tree that can be obtained in this game is Champion. All of the attacking Psynergy are Mars based, but they also get some stat-affecting Psynergy as well to help buff up the party and debuff enemies. Stats-wise, Guards have very good HP and Defense ratings and average attacking ability, but they are incredibly slow and don't have a large PP bank. Overall, Guards are more or less the slow tank of Golden Sun class trees.

Wind Seer - Jupiter (BV only)
Djinn: All Jupiter Djinn
Wind Seer is BV's default class tree. If we keep him with only Jupiter Djinn, this is where he'll stay. The highest level of the Wind Seer class tree that can be obtained in this game is Magister. All of the attacking Psynergy are Juipter based, and there are a lot of them, and also some buffing and debuffing skills as well. Looking at Stats, Wind Seers are very fast and have high PP, but suffer basically everywhere else, having both poor Defenses and HP which make them particularly vulnerable to enemy attacks. They also have mediocre Attack, relying more on Psynergy to do damage. Wind Seer is more or less your basic glass cannon offensive mage-type class.

Water Seer - Mercury (PMJ only)
Djinn: All Mercury Djinn
Water Seer is PMJ's default class tree. If we keep her with only Mercury Djinn, this is where she'll stay. The highest level of the Water Seer class tree that can be obtained in this game is Paragon. All of the attacking Psynergy are mercury based, but this is primarily the default healing class, so it gets many skills to restore HP, both to individuals (Ply series) and the entire party (Wish series), and also to remove status conditions (though Water Seer cannot revive). Stats wise, Water Seers best aspect is their large PP pool and they also have pretty good luck. However, they are incredibly slow (even slower than Guards), with sub-par HP, Attack, and Defense. Water Seers are definitely meant as a healing class and do not function well offensively.

Dual-Elemental Classes

Here's where stuff starts to get interesting...

Brute - Venus/Mars (Thena or Celev)
Djinn: Mars Djinn for Thena, Venus Djinn for Celev
The Brute series is a class tree that is available to both Thena and Celev. The highest level of the Brute class tree that can be obtained in this game is Berserker. Venus and Mars are considered symbiotic elements, so the combination meshes together well. The class trees gets both Venus and Mars based offensive Psynergy (including Planet Diver, a good single-enemy attack that is useful against many bosses), as well as some buffing/debuffing and Revive. They also get access to the utility Psynergy Growth, which is useful for some parts of the game (though it does not require that someone be permanently in this class to use it since it's simple to swap into). Brutes have some of the highest Attack in the game and good HP and Agility. However, their Defense is pretty low, and they have awful Luck and a very small PP pool. Brutes are a pretty great offensive class, both physically and with Psynergy.

Apprentice - Venus/Jupiter (Thena)
Djinn: Jupiter Djinn
The Apprentice series is a class tree that is available to Thena. It will also become available to BV, but not until much later in the game. The highest level of the Apprentice class tree that can be obtained in this game is Conjurer. The class trees gets both Venus and Jupiter based offensive Psynergy, though most of its available Psynergy is indrect, either afflicting status conditions on the enemy, or buffing/debuffing. Sadly, it does not gain Revive, nor the HP restoring Venus skills. Apprentices are pretty fast and have good HP, but they have only average Attack and low Defense and Luck. I guess it would function best as a support class, but I've never actually used it because it seems pretty crappy.

Swordsman - Venus/Mercury or Mars/Mercury (Thena or Celev)
Djinn: Mercury Djinn
The Swordsman series is a class tree that is available to both Thena and Celev, though the class trees different slightly between the two of them based on whether the secondary element is Venus or Mars. The highest level of the Swordsman class tree that can be obtained in this game is Guardian for Thena and Luminier for Celev. Both Swordsman classes get access to Cutting Edge, a powerful single-enemy Mercury-based attack Psynergy, and also the Ply and Wish series of healing spells. The Venus version of this class also gets Revive and some Venus attacks, where the Mars version gets some buffing skills and Mars attacks. Swordsmen have good HP, Attack, Defense, and Luck, though they are slow and have poor PP pools. Swordsmen are a decent class to function as a combination fighter and healer (especially the Venus version which gets Revive), though they have few options for dealing with group enemies and run out of PP quickly.

Page - Mars/Jupiter (Celev)
Djinn: Jupiter Djinn
The Page series is a class tree that is available to Celev. It will also become available to BV, but not until much later in the game. The highest level of the Page class tree that can be obtained in this game is Conjurer. The Page series is very similar to the Apprentice series above. It gets access to both Mars and Jupiter Psynergy, but most of its attacks afflict status conditions or debuff the enemy. Like Apprentices, Pages are pretty fast and have good HP, but they have only average Attack and low Defense and Luck. I guess it would function best as a support class, but I've never actually used it because it seems pretty crappy. I'm not really a fan of debuffing and status conditions.

Seer - Jupiter/Venus or Mercury/Venus (BV or PMJ)
Djinn: Venus Djinn
The Seer series is a class tree that is available to both BV and PMJ, though the class trees different slightly between the two of them based on whether the secondary element is Jupiter or Mercury. The highest level of the Seer class tree that can be obtained in this game is Druid. Both Seers get access to the Venus-based Revive and Cure series, as well as some Venus offensive Psynergy. The Jupiter Seer also keeps some Jupiter attacks and buffs/debuffs, whereas the Mercury Seer keeps the Wish series for group HP gain and some Mercury attacks as well. Both Seers are fast with a decent Attack and a large PP pool, though they suffer from low HP and Defense and poor Luck. The Mercury version is the stronger of the two; Wish series is much better than Jupiter buffs, by far, and the Mercury offensive Psynergy available is stronger.

Pilgrim - Jupiter/Mars or Mercury/Mars (BV or PMJ)
Djinn: Mars Djinn
The Pilgrim series is a class tree that is available to both BV and PMJ, though the class trees different slightly between the two of them based on whether the secondary element is Jupiter or Mercury. The highest level of the Pilgrim class tree that can be obtained in this game is Fire Monk for BV or Water Monk for PMJ. Both Pilgrims get access to some Mars offensive Psynergy, as well as offensive Psynergy for their native element. In addition, the Jupiter Pilgrim gets some status affecting Psynergy, and the Mercury Pilgrim gets the Wish series for group HP gain. Pilgrims are fast with pretty good Defense and PP, and decent HP and Attack. They don't have any particularly weak stats, but not any super high ones either. The Pilgrim series is in some ways very similar to the Seer series, though it is more offensively oriented, with the more powerful Mars Psynergy replacing the restorative Venus Psynergy gained by the Seers.

Hermit - Jupiter/Mercury (BV or PMJ)
Djinn: Mercury Djinn for BV, Jupiter Djinn for PMJ
The Hermit series is a class tree that is available to both BV and PMJ. The highest level of the Hermit class tree that can be obtained in this game is Sage. Jupiter and Mercury are considered symbiotic elements, so the combination meshes together well. Consider it the mage counterpart of the more melee-based Brute series. Hermits get access to both Jupiter and Mercury offensive Psynergy, as well as some status changing abilities and the Wish series for group HP healing. Hermits have very high PP, Agility, and Luck, with decent HP, but poor Attack and Defense. Hermit is a pretty good boost for PMJ, since it makes her significantly faster and gives her access to Jupiter attacks and the only thing she really loses is the Ply series. It's not bad for BV, either, giving him access to healing and Mercury attacks as well.

Tri-Elemental Classes

It'll be a very long time before we're able to access these, but I might as well list them here so you can start thinking about them for the future.

Ninja - Venus/Mars/Jupiter (Thena or Celev)
Djinn: 3 Mars and 3 Jupiter Djinn for Thena, 3 Venus and 3 Jupiter Djinn for Celev
The Ninja is a tri-elemental class available for both Thena and Celev. There are higher levels than Ninja available in the full class tree, but those can't be accessed in this game, only the sequel. Ninjas get access to a wide variety of offense Psynergy for all 3 elements. In fact, all of their Psynergy is offensive except for Mist, a single status-changing move, and all are group attacks. They are the fastest class by far (as befitting a Ninja) and also have very high HP Attack scores, though their Defense and Luck scores are low. Ninjas are probably one of the best classes in the game. They are excellent fast, hard-hitting attackers with lots of options in combat, and there's one particular point in the game where it's a very good idea to have Thena be a Ninja, even if it doesn't end up being a permanent thing.

Samurai - Venus/Mars/Jupiter (Thena or Celev)
Djinn: 4 Mars and 3 Jupiter Djinn for Thena, 4 Venus and 3 Jupiter Djinn for Celev
The Samurai is a tri-elemental class available for both Thena and Celev. There is a higher level than Samurai available in the full class tree, but that can't be accessed in this game, only the sequel. The Samurai gets access to a lot of powerful Psynergy of all 3 elements, including the powerful Quick Strike, one of the best single-enemy attacks in the game. They also get some powerful and useful buffing and protection abilities. Samurais have very high Attack, Defense, and HP making them powerhouses in combat, though their speed is average, and they have a small PP pool. Samurais are one of the best classes in the game, and since they specialize in attacking single targets instead of groups, they compliment with the Ninja very well.

Dragoon - Venus/Mars/Mercury (Thena or Celev)
Djinn: 3 Mars and 3 Mercury Djinn for Thena, 3 Venus and 3 Mercury Djinn for Celev
The Dragoon is a tri-elemental class available for both Thena and Celev. There are higher levels than Dragoon available in the full class tree, but those can't be accessed in this game, only the sequel. Dragoons have access to offensive Psynergy from all 3 elements (though the only Mercury attack is the single-enemy Cutting Edge) and also the Ply and Wish series for healing, as well as status-healing abilities. Statistically, Dragoons have high HP, Attack, and Defense, but they are incredibly, painfully slow. Taken as a whole, the Dragoon class is basically something like both the Venus and Mars Swordsmen smooshed together into one character. I would consider it the lesser of the 3 available tri-elemental classes available for Thena and Celev, mostly for its slowness, unless you want/need a secondary healer.

Medium - Venus/Jupiter/Mercury (BV or PMJ)
Djinn: 3 Venus and 3 Mercury Djinn for BV, 3 Venus and 3 Jupiter Djinn for PMJ
The Medium is a tri-elemental class available for both BV and PMJ. There are higher levels than Medium available in the full class tree, but those can't be accessed in this game, only the sequel. Mediums have access to both Jupiter and Mercury offensive Psynergy, as well as the Venus-based Cure series for healing, Revive, and some status-changing abilities. Mediums are fast and have good PP, as well as average HP and Attack, but low Defense and poor Luck. Kind of a mediocre class, really, since you get so little from the Venus side of things (status changing isn't particularly useful and the Wish series is much better than Cure for healing); I don't consider it to be worth the complication and sacrifices of being in a tri-elemental class.

White Mage - Venus/Jupiter/Mercury (BV or PMJ)
Djinn: 3 Venus and 4 Mercury Djinn for BV, 3 Venus and 4 Jupiter Djinn for PMJ
The White Mage is a tri-elemental class available for both BV and PMJ. There is a higher level than White Mage available in the full class tree, but that can't be accessed in this game, only the sequel. White Mages get powerful Jupiter and Mercury offensive Psynergy, the Wish series, Revive, and also some buffing/debuffing skills. They are fast with a very large pool of PP to work with, decent HP and Attack, and mediocre Defenses. White Mages are one of the best healers in the game (definitely a huge jump up from the Medium) and they can also dish out a lot of damage, too. The only real downside is that they don't get any Venus offensive skills.

Ranger - Mars/Jupiter/Mercury (BV or PMJ)
Djinn: 3 Mars and 3 Mercury Djinn for BV, 3 Mars and 3 Jupiter Djinn for PMJ
The Ranger is a tri-elemental class available for both BV and PMJ. There are higher levels than Ranger available in the full class tree, but those can't be accessed in this game, only the sequel. The Ranger has access to offensive Psynergy for all 3 elements, and also some Jupiter-based buffing/debuffing skills. Like the White Mage (and most offensive mages, I guess), they have a lot of speed and PP, decent HP and Attack, and low Defense. Ranger is the best tri-elemental class for BV or PMJ if you're looking for offense instead of healing, since you get a very nice spread of damage types compared to the other two.

Strategy

So, now you know all the different class options we have. Kind of a lot, huh? There's a total of 20 different class trees that we can access by swapping around our Djinn. While there are no classes that are absolute trash, there are certainly some that are better than others, and finding a winning combination that makes the entire party strong can take some strategy. Here's a few different things to consider when picking classes for each character.

Party Roles
It's good to have a nice assortment of roles for the party so that you're covering your bases. Having some type of healer in the party is an absolute must, otherwise you'll be relying on items for all of your HP healing which would get very expensive very quickly. You want to be able to do physical damage with attacks and also element-based attacks with Psynergy. You probably want at least character with buffing abilities to shore up your party's attacks or defenses against difficult bosses.

Stats
Keeping Stats in mind is obviously a key element of picking a good class. Each class has statistical strengths and weaknesses, and that's also true for each individual character. Thena and Celev are more melee-based whereas BV and PMJ are more mage-like. As such, Attack stat is less likely to matter for the latter class as they will rely more on their Psynergy to accomplish things, whereas having access to a lot of PP is more useful to them. Agility is also important for some classes to determine the order of battle. For example, you may wish to have a fast healer so that they can restore HP before the enemy has a chance to attack, or you may not care about your healer's speed and simply have them restore everyone's HP at the end of a round after the damage has been done.

Elemental Balance
Another important thing to keep in mind is making sure you have access to many different elements at a time. Just like how each of our 4 main characters is aligned with a certain element, so are all enemies in the game, from simple monsters to huge bosses. Each element has its strengths and weaknesses, being most weak to its opposite and strongest against itself. For example, during the boss fight against bb, Celev did very little damage with his Mars-based Psynergy because bb is also aligned with Mars. Contrariwise, he took extra damage from PMJ's Mercury attacks. One of the biggest strengths that the Dual- and Tri-Elemental Classes have above the Mono-Elemental Classes is that they give access to multiple types of Psynergy at once. Had bb been a Brute instead of a Guard during the fight against bb, he would have had access to Spire, a Venus attack that would have done much more damage.

Djinn Balancing
It might seem silly, but you have to keep in mind how many Djinn you have of each type when planning. There is a maximum of 7 Djinn of each type that we'll get throughout the game (for a total of 28) and arrive in a pretty even spread. It's all fun and good to plan an super powerful end-game party, but if that team requires 8 Venus Djinn, you're out of luck. You also cannot unbalance Djinn at any time; they will automatically spread out to fill your party as evenly as possible, so you can't, for example, have 5 Djinn on 1 character and only 3 Djinn on another.

Using Djinn and Summons
Don't forget that Djinn do more than just decide what classes you are! Each Djinn also has a nice in-battle use and can be put on Standby and combined with other Standby Djinn for powerful summons. Also, keep in mind that the Djinn Requirements for each class are specifically "Set" Djinn, so Djinn used in battle or put on Standby for Summons will not count towards class requirements. This means that actually using Djinn and Summons while in more complicated class setups can be tricky if not downright impossible. If White Mage PMJ uses one of her Mercury Djinn in battle, suddenly she's dropped down to a Medium, completely altering the Psynergy she has available.

Possible Combinations

Mono-Elemental Classes Only
This is kind of boring and straightforward, but it certainly works. In fact, quite a few people play the game this way, at least for their very first playthrough. I know I sure did. :p Playing all Mono-Elemental Classes isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst, either. PMJ is your dedicated healer, BV is the main elemental damage hitter, Celev buffs and attacks, Thena does a little bit of everything. One of the best things about this setup is that it's really easy to use Djinn both in battle and for Summons because you only move up and down within the same Class Tree.

Dual-Elemental Classes Only
You can get quite a lot of utility and power working with Dual-Elemental Classes, as they're kind of a nice mid-way point between Mono- and Tri-Elements. Each player gets a double-up element type, so they'll at least be able to do neutral damage to any enemy, and many important utilities (healing, reviving, buffing, etc.) are shared among multiple people, so you're not screwed if, say, your healer goes down and everyone else is low on HP. And because Dual-Elemental Classes still use a fairly simple Djinn system (just of an opposing element instead of a matching element), it's still fairly easy to correctly use Djinn and Summons in battle, especially in the earlier stages of the game.

Tri-Elemental Classes Only
Obviously this would not be available until practically end-game, but it is indeed possible to have everyone in a Tri-Elemental Class. The Tri-Elemental Classes are very powerful and have access to a lot of different kinds of Psynergy giving your party a lot of versatility. However, it's practically impossible to use any Djinn in battle or for Summons without drastically lowering your stats and dropping into different classes, so you can't rely on using Djinn for anything but providing those classes.

Combination Mono-Elemental and Dual-Elemental Classes
Not much to say about this, really. You can obviously keep all of one type of Djinn on their matching player and then mix up the others with the remaining 3. Sometimes you might do it on purpose, or it might just be a coincidence from other match-ups. The Dual-Element characters are probably going to be stronger overall, but sometimes it can be hard to find a good class match-up that treats everyone fairly anyway.

Combination Dual-Elemental and Tri-Elemental Classes
If you actually want to use the Tri-Elemental Classes, this is a much better way of going about it than making everyone Tri-Elemental. Not only is this a bit simpler to manage and gives you more options, but it also allows you to still have some use for Djinn in battle and with Summons, and your Dual-Elemental classes don't fall too far behind, either. Typically, you'll pick 1 or 2 people to have Tri-Elemental classes and then work out the rest of the Djinn into the best Dual-Elemental arrangements you can.

Alright, now how do you actually go about deciding on a party?

Well, that's the tricky part. You know your class options, you know what kinds of strategy you want to keep in mind, and you know what your available combos are. I could just tell you what I would do, but that's too easy. :p Here are a couple ways you can go about picking an actual party:

Decide on one character's class and then figure out the rest based on what's left
Generally if you want to use Tri-Elemental Classes, or if you have a very specific build you want to try for a particular character, this is where you start. If you know, for example, that you want PMJ to be a White Mage, then that uses up a certain amount of Djinn and removes a lot of options that you have for the others. So, you can look at what else you have available for Thena, Celev, and BV and work from there.

Element Swapping
This is a pretty basic method to use when working in an all Dual-Elemental class setup. You can, say, pass the Djinn around clockwise or counterclockwise to spread out your Djinn evenly and give you a nice spread of classes. Or you can swap 2 characters Djinn. Take a look at what you get (paying attention to utility and support Psynergy as well as stats and power) and tweak as necessary until you find something you like.

And that's all! I hope you guys find this guide useful. And hopefully you'll start suggesting some class options instead of just leaving us sitting in the default. :3

Last edited:
Hermit is indeed pretty great. It's probably my favourite class for PMJ's character and certainly not bad on BV's either.

That said, if you want that to be an official vote/suggestion, it's currently not valid because BV's Jupiter Djinn would have to go somewhere too, at the very least. Remember your Djinn balancing!

Uh, so:

+1 Jupiter Djinn to Thena
+1 Jupiter Djinn to PMJ
+1 Mercury Djinn to BV

-2 Jupiter Djinn from BV
-1 Mercury Djinn from PMJ

You're not balancing properly; you can't have Thena with 3 Djinn and BV with only 1. The Djinn won't let you! :p

Chapter 8: Let's kill the cute water monsters! \o/

A little ways south of the Temple we came across the "Mysterious Forest" the old man had warned us about. As soon as we entered, a.... green monkey-lizard-thing(?) saw us and ran for cover in a giant, conspicuous hollow stump in the middle of a clearing.

<Celev> Ooooh, that looks like a thing I can hit. Can I hit it? Please? Pretty please?
<Thena> Sure, go for it.​

Celev went up to the stump and used his new Force Psynergy to smack the stump nice and hard. The creature jumped out and ran south.

<BV> So... based on the hints the old guy gave us, that probably means we should head south instead of taking the east or west paths... right?
<Thena> Wrong!
<Everyone> o_o;
<Thena> Come on, we at least need to explore the other sections. There might be loot! We'll take the south path when we need to move on.
<PMJ> If you get us lost, I'mma smack you with my staff.​

Of course we didn't get lost; I'm too good of an RPG protagonist for that. The east/west paths simply looped around, but sadly there was nothing interesting, so we went back to following the regular path. Each time the forest path came to a fork, there was a giant stump for Celev to hit, and a green monkey-lizard-thing that was happy to show us the correct path (even though we kept exploring the other routes, too, and managed to find a sweet Elven Shirt that we gave to PMJ because she's so slow). After location a new Venus Djinn for yours truly, we eventually came to the final section of the forest. We heard a large roaring sound and quickly set our Djinn to standby in preparation for a boss battle.

And there it was! Instead of a green monkey-lizard-thing that jumped out of a stump, this was a blue monkey-lizard-thing, and it must be mamma or daddy because it was incredibly large. Despite its size, it was also something of a pushover, and we beat it rather easily, securing ourselves some sweet EXP and also a... Douse Drop? With a bit of experimentation we learned that it gives its user the ability to use the Douse Psynergy, and since it was obviously a Mercury power, we gave it to PMJ.

Our next stop was the very Chinese-inspired town of Xian to the west. Here we stayed at a nice inn, upgraded all of our armor (and bought a sweet Battle Rapier for Celev), and found a new Mercury Djinn for PMJ. We also chatted up some of the local villagers and learned that the town was well known for its silk and a very popular stop for merchants, although strangely no merchants had been seen lately. Once we were all done, we went into the large, important building on the north side of town to see if there was some little mini-quest or something that we could do to help progress the plot. That room happened to be a dojo run by a man named Master Feh who also had a daughter named Feizhi. Apparently he didn't give a crap about people who didn't know martial arts, but apparently the Force Psynergy that Celev had learned counted as martial arts to these guys.

<Celev> Ooooh, does that mean I get to hit something? Please tell me I can hit something.
<Thena> Sure, smack over that wooden pillar log thing. That ought to get the old fart's attention.
<Celev> Yay! :D *uses Force*
<Everyone> Ohshi- that guy is amazing. :O
<Celev> I'm free this evening, ladies~ *flexes muscles*
<PMJ> facepalm.jpg​

The sound of Celev's log hitting the floor, however, was soon eclipsed by the sound of a door slamming as a young woman exited an office elsewhere in the building, followed by an older man. Must be Feh and Feizhi. I passed around some popcorn as we all sat down and eavesdropped on their argument.

<Feh> Hey, come on, don't be like that. I know you're worried about Hsu, but he's probably just running a bit late is all.
<Feizhi> No way, José. Something's wrong, I can sense it.
<Feh> Is it.... your power? :O
<Feizhi> Yeah, ever since I got brained with one of those purple rocks, I've been able to sense stuff. You know that.
<Feh> Yeah, I know, I know, I'm just asking for the sake of exposition here. But I still don't believe your powers are actually real.
<Feizhi> Even though all the stuff that I've foreseen has cone true? You believe in people using mystical powers to knock over wood but not this?
<Feh> Nope, it's justy coincidence.
<Feizhi> But but but--
<Feh> You worry too much.
<Feizhi> I guess I'll just have to go save Hsu myself! *flees*
<Feh> *sigh* Stupid girl. Oh well, she'll probably give up and come home as soon as she sees her first monster.
<Celev> Geez, what a jerk.
<Feh> What? Who's that?​

Distracted by the leaving of his daughter, Feh hadn't yet noticed our arrival, but he soon came over to see who we were.

<PMJ> Celev, you're gonna get us in trouble... -_-;
<Celev> It's okay, he'll be all impressed because I used that Chi Kung Fu stuff to knock the thing over.
<Feh> Huh, you were the one who did that?
<Celev> Yes, indeed!
<Feh> Can you show me?
<Celev> Sure! *uses Force on the pillar again*
<Feh> Hmmmm.... impressive.
<Celev> :D
<Feh> ... but that was not Chi.
<Celev> D:
<BV> Well, yeah, we knew that. After all, it's called Force Psynergy, not Chi Psynergy.
<Celev> That old guy called it Ki... I thought it was the same thing. :\
<Feh> Nope. Oh well, thanks for showing me anyway, guys.​

We left the dojo and headed past a thoughtful Feizhi to the town's entrance. She made an off-hand comment about us traveling west, so we figured we might as well. After all, it was the only real direction to go. We did make a quick detour to defeat and recruit a Mars Djinni for Celev but then we headed off to the west and eventually came to the Alpine Crossing, a place where the path forked to either the south or north. It might not be in the actual Alps, but it did seem to be covered in lots of rocks. In fact, so many rocks that the entire south passageway had been blocked off.

<Feizhi> Damnit, I was totally right! >_<
<BV> Ohhey, where'd you come from. o_o;
<Feizhi> I followed you, duh. Thanks for taking out the monsters for me.
<Thena> Well, uh, you should probably head back home now...
<Feizhi> No way! I'm going to wait here until Hsu shows up.
<PMJ> Out here? In the middle of nothing but a giant pile of rocks?
<Feizhi> Well, if anything bad's going to happen, I'll foresee it, won't I?
<Thena> Guess so. Good luck! We're just going to take the north path then.​

Only a short ways north from the Crossing was the town of Altin, a cute, multi-tiered town built into the side of a mountain with mine entrances along the rock face. However, the town was in serious bad straits, and we didn't even need to talk to anyone to find out why. Almost the entire town was covered in water! Only the very top level was not submerged, and most of the people were located in the town's inn, bemoaning their fate. Apparently the water was not caused by any natural disaster, but instead by a group of.... water-spitting monsters. Yeah, I got nothing. Your guess is as good as mine.

We figured we could use the EXP, so we decided to help the town out with its spitting monster problems. We followed the first one that we found into the mines and it led us on a small, merry chase before finally preparing for battle. It was a fairly easy mini-boss battle and it dropped the Frost Jewel for us. PMJ already knew Frost manually, but we gave it to BV anyway to spread the love. With that guy defeated, the water levels of the town dropped enough for us to access the next level of the mines, so we jumped right in. We followed mine cart tracks all the way into the back of this section where we solved a simple puzzle and rode a cart to defeat the second of the water-spitting monsters. No cool drops this time, but the water level fell some more, and we were able to climb down a ladder to reach the next floor of the mine dungeon. After another couple mine cart puzzles, we defeated water spitter number 3, then made our way back to the town.

Everyone was super happy and grateful to us for saving their town from the water-spitting monsters. Sure, their houses might all be permanently damaged from floods, but at least they had them back! However, there was still mine to explore, the deepest level yet, so the 4 of us went in. We've solved a pretty easy mine cart puzzle to get our 4th Mercury Djinn, then eventually made our way to a maze of rocks. Once passed, there was a suspicious-looking wooden pillar that looked eerily similar to the same type of pillar that Celev had knocked down in Xian. Next to the pillar was a sign.

<Celev> Can I knock down the wood thing? Please? Pretty please?
<PMJ> The sign here says.... "Whatever you do, do NOT knock down the wood thing!"
<Celev> *looks at Thena with puppy-dog eyes*
<Thena> Go ahead, knock it down.
<BV> Are you sure that's safe? >_>
<Thena> If it didn't do something cool there wouldn't be a sign telling us not to do it!​

So, Celev knocked over the wood thing. And nothing happened.

<Celev> Hey, what gives?! I was hoping for something exciting here! >:|​

And then his angry yell promptly set of an avalanche, causing a humongous boulder to come crashing down towards us! We quickly scampered backward and out of the way, getting out of the path of the boulder just in time as it crashed down and formed a hole in the ground. BV, Celev, PMJ and I all looked at each other, shrugged, and then jumped into the hole. There was a path down below that slowly led into what appeared to be a temple of some sort. And right at the front of the temple where the alter should be was a huge version of the water spitting monsters! It attacked us quickly, but we managed to fell it in battle. As soon as it was defeated it turned into... a statue.

<PMJ> Why did it turn into a statue? Was it a statue all along? o_o;
<BV> Maybe these people prayed to the water gods or something, idk.
<Thena> I'm sure we could get an answer if we talked to the villagers some more.
<PMJ> Pass. I've had enough of listening to people whining about water damage for one day. Can't we just assume that they were hit with the falling Psynergy Crystals and royally #&%ed up by them just like what happened to the creepy tree people?
<Thena> It's as good as explanation as anything else.
<Celev> Ohhey, look, treasure!​

The treasure turned out to be a Lifting Gem, an item that, surprise, lets you lift things. Go figure. I gave it to Celev; figured he'd have some fun with it. We went back to town and listed a big boulder that we'd seen previously exposing a path further through the mines and out to the other side of the mountain. Figuring that we could set out down the path the next day, we spent the night in Altin's inn.

However, before we set off for the next day, we decided to swap our Djinn around a bit to see how it goes. Why? Mostly for the lulz. New Djinn in place, we prepared to go further through the mines and discover what was on the other side...

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 17 Illusionist
Celev: Lv 17 Ruffian
BV: Lv 17 Scholar
PMJ: Lv 17 Wanderer

Thena: Lv 17 Illusionist

Catch*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Weaken, Delude, Sleep, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Claymore
Headgear: Bronze Helm
Armwear: Dragon Shield

Djinn:

Celev: Lv 17 Ruffian

Growth, Force*, Lift*, Move, Planet Diver, Mad Growth, Blast, Nova, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Claymore
Bodywear: Chain Mail
Headgear: Bronze Helm
Armwear: Gauntlets
Other: Orb of Force, Lifting Gem

Djinn:
Quartz: (Venus) "Revive a downed ally."

BV: Lv 17 Scholar

Wish, Douse*, Mind Read, Prism, Plasma, Impact

Items:
Weapon: Psynergy Rod
Headgear: Silver Circlet
Other: Douse Drop

Djinn:
Mist: (Mercury) "Lull a foe into deep sleep."
Spritz: (Mercury) "Restore party HP with soothing mist."

PMJ: Lv 17 Wanderer

Douse, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Restore
Items:
Bodywear: Elven Shirt
Other: Frost Jewel

Djinn:
Corona: (Mars) "Boost party Defense with a heat aura."

Player Notes:

This chapter took more time to play than it looks like, I think. :p Just that the Altin Mine dungeon is fairly boring so there's not a whole lot to say about it. I actually think the little monster guys in this part of the game were very cute! And, for the record, you do actually learn more about them if you talk to the NPCs. All of the little guys used to be sacred statues in the village and it is hinted at that they were hit with the falling Psynergy Stones.

We've finally swapped our Djinn around a bit too, as you can see. Since bb seems to be the only one with suggestions, I talked to him a bit about his ideas over the weekend and mostly he just wanted to see BV in the Hermit class tree, so I made some swaps based on that. I really wanted to wait until we had 4 Mercury Djinn before making that particular swap, though, since otherwise we would be stuck without any Healing Psynergy of any kind (4 Mercury Djinn is the magic number to unlock Wish, a group healing Psynergy).

Here is what this means for our lovely characters:

BV is now the only character with any Healing Energy, so he will be the group's primary healer, a job which Thena and PMJ previously shared, though PMJ was better at it. Since he will be mostly using his PP for healing, he gets the stronger weapon for regular attacking. He used to be fastest, now he's second fastest; not bad. He no longer gets Whirlwind (we'll need to swap Djinn around if we ever get some troublesome leaves again), but he keeps the Plasma Psynergy group (his main attacking power and one of the best groups of Jupiter offensive Psynergy in the game), and also gains Prism, a powerful Mercury offensive line. Kind of a shame that he'll be our primary healer actually.

PMJ is kind of floundering at the moment. She's no longer healing, but she's gotten a huge boost in speed, which is nice, and has gained Prism, a powerful Mercury-based offensive line. Otherwise, she doesn't have much. She gets the Douse line naturally now (which is why she and BV swapped equips), though that's also Mercury-based and less powerful, so she may as well use Prism. She's still got the restoring skills which I guess is nice. She'll actually gain a huge boost of utility once we get a 4th Mars Djinn; that will give her both the Volcano line (a decently powerful Mars-based attack line) and she'll also get Wish then, so we'll have two healers and some more flexibility. Funnily enough, PMJ currently has the highest defense.

Thena, unfortunately, loses a lot of her utility. She no longer has the Cure line and loses the chance to get Revive, too. She loses the Quake, Spire, and Ragnarok series, but keeps Gaia. The Gaia series is actually pretty good, but for now all she has is that and the mediocre, single-enemy Astral Blast, her only Jupiter-based spell. As an Apprentice, Thena mostly gets buff/debuff spells, putting her primarily into a support role. She'll also mostly just be attacking in random encounters, just not as effectively as before.

Celev's not doing too bad. He's taken over Thena's Spire series and also gains the Growth series for decent Venus-based attacks. His new single-enemy attack, Planet Diver, is one of the best in the game, which is nice, and the Blast Series that he gets is also good, even though he loses the Volcano series for it. Once he gets a couple more levels and a 4th Venus Djinn he'll get Revive, though he'll be stuck with low PP and he would be our primary melee-attacker in this role, so it's not really ideal for him to be our only Reviver. He definitely has the highest Attack now, and likely will so long as he's in this class (unless we start dabbling in Tri-Elements, anyway).

Anyway, none of this is set in stone, obviously. :p We'll see how it goes, and if it sucks, I'll just complain at you some more. :U It's not like GS is a particularly difficult game or anything. Hopefully it'll be amusing at least. Stay tuned for the next chapter tomorrow!

Chapter 9: The no good, very bad dessert

We made our way through the Altin mines to the opposite side of the mountain ridge, which also happened to be right on the opposite side of the Alpine Crossing we had been at the other day. Curious to see if the Xian chick was still there, we decided to hop on over to the Crossing and check on what was up. However, we couldn't actually get too far in because of the fallen boulders so we shrugged and headed onward to the next town... even though it wasn't actually a town, just another temple like where we met the old guy before. We went inside the main temple building and met the very gender-ambiguous Master Hama.

<Hama> Oh, hey, Thena, dudes, 'sup? Glad you finally made it.
<Thena> >_>?
<Celev> Did you know we were coming? o_o;
<Hama> Yes, I have foreseen it. You come seeking the Elemental Stars.
<PMJ> Theoretically, yes, though we seem to find ourselves doing more sidequests than anything actually useful...
<BV> But how do you know so much about us?
<Hama> I'm a Jupiter Adept, duh. You ought to know the drill about our powers by now. Not just wind and blowing away leaves, but also spooky mind stuff.
<Celev> Yeah, BV's mind reading definitely counts as "spooky mind stuff".
<PMJ> Does that mean he can learn to read the future like you?
<Hama> Probably, but I have a different fancy trick I'd like to teach him. In fact, that's the whole reason why I've been waiting here for you guys.
<BV> Ooooooh, what is it? :3
<Hama> It's called.... REVEAL.
<BV> That.... doesn't sound particularly fancy.
<Hama> Maybe not, but you'll definitely need the Reveal power to get through to the next part of the game, so do you want it or not?
<BV> Yes, please.
<Hama> But first... you may be interested in some plot exposition.
<PMJ> *groan*
<Hama> Did you see all those rocks and crap blocking the Crossing?
<Thena> Yup.
<Hama> That was bb and KoN's doing.
<Everyone> :O!
<Celev> So you know about them too, huh.
<Hama> Yep, spooky mind powers.
<Thena> How are Jaber and PP and those guys doing?
<Hama> I'll.... not say. That's enough plot exposition for now. Let's get onto teaching BV this new power, shall we?
<PMJ> That was kind of an obvious focus switch.
<BV> So, what exactly do I need this power for again?
<Hama> Well, the next stop on your journey will be... the EVIL LAMARKAN DESERT.
<Celev> An evil dessert? They're all pretty tasty to me.
<Thena> Not dessert, desert; you know, big open place with lots of sand.
<Celev> Ugh, who would put sand on their dessert?
<Everyone> ... ... ...
<Hama> Aaaanyway, the desert used to be pretty hot but at least, you know, bearable. However, in the past couple weeks, something evil has taken hold there.
<Thena> This is kind of a familiar theme by now...
<PMJ> So, what has this evil done to the desert?
<Hama> Well, the heat is basically impossible to survive. Walking into the desert now is practically a death wish. KoN and bb are Mars Adepts so they managed it okay, but you guys... you're going to need some help. And that's where Reveal comes in! You can use Reveal to find hidden Oases in the desert so you can survive the heat long enough to make it to the end.
<Celev> But that doesn't make any sense, wouldn't we just be able to, you know, see these oases?
<Hama> Nope, there's all sorts of mirages and crap that will mess with your vision, but the power of Reveal will help BV to see clearly and lead you through unscathed. Or, well, at least relatively unscathed. I imagine you'll all have pretty wicked sunburn by the time you reach the other side.
<BV> Alright, I'm convinced. Go ahead and teach me!
<Hama> I just hope it'll work....
<Thena> facepalm.jpg Why wouldn't it work?
<Hama> Well, I seem to have a problem teaching techniques lately.... this one chick, well, I tried to teach her stuff, but....​

Right at that moment, I took an opportunity to break the long dialogue wall of text as the door of the temple slammed open and our old friend Feizhi entered.

<Feizhi> Talking about me?
<Hama> Oh, uh, hey Feizhi, what's up?
<Feizhi> Hsu never came back after her left you here and I had a vision that he was in danger!
<Hama> Oh, sorry, I was so focused on waiting for Thena, BV, and friends to arrive that I kinda stopped paying attention to Hsu... sorry. >_>
<Feizhi> Well, it's a good thing that I sensed he was in danger then!
<Hama> I don't understand, though.... why has this power come to you now? Before, after I taught you, you couldn't foresee your way out of a wet paper bag.
<Thena> Let me guess... you were hit in the head with a purple rock that fell from the sky a couple weeks ago, weren't you, Feizhi?
<Feizhi> Yes.... how did you know? o_o;
<Hama> Oh, I get it. The Psynergy Stone hit her and gave her the power of an Adept. I guess that means I should be able to teach BV after all.
<Feizhi> Shut up about BV for one moment and help me save Hsu!
<Hama> Fine, fine, but don't worry, this will just take a minute.​

Hama lied his/her hand on BV's forehead and they both started glowing with purple energy. Then, Hama stepped away again.

<BV> So, that was it? I can use Reveal now?
<Hama> Yep! Good luck crossing the desert. And, uh, see you later I guess.​

After one last weird look at BV, Hama left with Feizhi, leaving us to our own devices. We were about to leave and head west towards the desert, but I had Protagonist-Intuition that told me that Hsu would probably need our help, too, so first we headed east back to the crossing. The way was still full with rocks, but using BV's new Reveal showed a sekrit passageway that we were able to use to get past most of the rocks to where Hama and Feizhi were clustered around a man (probably Hsu) trapped under a boulder. We used Lift to pick up the boulder while Feizhi and Hama pulled him to safety. They all thanked us one last time, and then we left to go west through the desert.

When we stepped into the Lamarkan Desert, the change was practically immediately. Not only did it suddenly get hot and sandy, but the air was wavy and there was suddenly a mysterious gauge to the left side of the screen. The use of the gauge because apparently almost immediately, however: it was a measure of our tolerance to the heat! Just when the gauge was almost to the peak, we came across an interesting pattern of 6 stones forming a hexagon shape. BV used Reveal and within the hexagon we saw one of the oases Hama had told us about. We jumped in happily, soaking up the water and cooling the gauge down. Mechanic figured out, we continued on the path deeper into the desert.

The Lamarkan Desert was a long and painful slog. We basically spent the entire time running around and trying to find hexagon shapes for oases, but not even all of those shapes were safe! In addition to oases, some had hidden items (we found a sweet axe that I called for myself now that Celev had received such a huge Attack buff with the Djinn swapping) or strong hidden monsters that would pull us in and attack. In one, we found a Jupiter Djinni that went safely into my care. We weren't always able to find an oasis before the meter rose, and when that happened, we'd all lose a bunch of HP, forcing BV to heal us all.

Eventually we made our way through the worst of the desert and into a new area filled with... sand waterfalls? Sandfalls? Don't question it. Most of them formed sand streams but one in particular looked kind of shady. BV used his reveal on it to discover a hidden path inside... and a Manticore boss lurking inside the path! BV and PMJ did most of the damage against the boss hitting it with Mercury attacks and summons, and eventually we were able to beat it and proceed. The passageway behind was delightfully cool and soon we exited out into the next part of the overworld, free from the desert at last.

<Celev> Worst. Dessert. Ever. >:|​

Once on the overworld, we got back onto the regular path and resumed our journey. We happened across another Venus Djinni for Celev, then derped along until we reached the familiar-sounding town of Kalay. After talking to some of the villagers, I realized why it sounded so familiar. This was the place BV's Master Hammet was from! We shopped around to upgrade our weapons and armor, and even managed to pick up a 4th Mars Djinni for PMJ. Not only were the NPCs gossiping about the potential problems of Hammet, but there was a lot of commotion about a huge festival called Colosso that would be held soon in the nearby city of Tolbi.

When we were done exploring Kalay, we went up to the big important building up at the top. The guards didn't want to let us in at first, but then BV stepped up.

<BV> Hey guys, it's me, BV!
<Guard> :O! You escaped the thieves!
<BV> Uhhh... no I didn't?
<Guard> You mean you weren't taken captives by the thieves of Lunpa with Master Hammet?
<BV> Er... no? He left me in Vault to find his stupid stolen rod.
<Guard> You mean someone stole the master's excellent rod? :O
<Celev> *snicker*
<BV> Yes, it was stolen, and I was left behind to find it. After I did, I couldn't find Master Hammet anywhere, so I fell in with these blokes.
<Guard> Well, why don't you tell the full story to Lady Layana. You all can come in, I guess.​

So we were brought inside and we told Hammet's wife the story about Vault and the robbers and the rod (Celev kept chuckling until I elbowed him in the ribs) and how BV ended up with our group. In return, we got to hear of how a ransom demand had been sent to Layana by the thieves of Lunpa who had kidnapped her husband.

<Layana> Of course we sent them the money, but that was ages ago and they still haven't released my poor Hammy-poo yet.
<Thena> You know, at this point, you may have to start considering the possibility that they don't intend to release him at all.
<Layana> Why wouldn't they? I mean, we did what they asked...
<PMJ> *shrugs* Who knows? After all, they are criminals.
<Layana> Whatever shall I do.... :<
<Guard> Let us go rescue him! The soldiers of Kalay will fight and lay down their lives for our lord!
<Layana> No, no, that's much too risky. If we attack, they could just kill him.
<Thena> Well, I suppose we could go...
<Layana> Pah, you guys have your own quests to be doing. Hammet would not want to pull BV from such important tasks.
<BV> But, you don't actually know anything about our quest... do you?
<Layana> Well, I might have a small inkling... you see, well, you always knew you were adopted, right BV?
<BV> Well, yeah, obvs. I mean it's not like I call you mom or anything. >_>
<Layana> Well, you see, you were given to Hammy-poo at a very young age by a group of Jupiter Adepts after he got lost down south on a trip.
<BV> :O!
<Layana> They gave him some business advice, and told him of a prophecy, that you would be destined to travel with some Adepts from Vale...
<Celev> Hey, Thena and I are from Vale!
<Layana> ... and that your quest would be very important. He also was given the Shaman's Rod and told that it would unlock a secret that would be crucial to your quest. We were told to take care of you and make sure that you have the Rod for your quest so that you would be able to solve the secret when the time came.
<BV> Wow, really? And he accepted it?
<Layana> Well, they did help him a lot, and the business advice was very sound. They're the reason we're all filthy rich. ^_^
<BV> I feel bad leaving him behind, now...
<Layana> Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be fine. After all, he's a fine hostage for those folk. Now you guys go on and continue your quest, and make sure to hold firmly onto that rod!
<Celev> *chortle*
<Layana> Oh, and by the way, you may be interested to know that the bridge up north is fixed now. So, if you guys want to go back and visit Vale for a bit or something before you continue on your way, you may wish to do that.
<Thena> Thanks! We'll see you later then, and, uh, good luck getting your husband back.​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 18 Enchanter
Celev: Lv 18 Savage
BV: Lv 18 Scholar
PMJ: Lv 18 Ascetic

Thena: Lv 18 Enchanter

Catch*, Lift*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Impact, Ward, Weaken, Delude, Sleep, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Vulcan Axe
Headgear: Mail Cap
Other: Catch Beads, Lifting Gem

Djinn:
Smog: (Jupiter) "Veil a foe's vision in smoke."

Celev: Lv 18 Savage

Growth, Force*, Move, Planet Diver, Spire, Mad Growth, Blast, Nova, Impair, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Great Axe

Djinn:
Vine: (Venus) "Tangle foes to drop Agility."

BV: Lv 18 Scholar

Wish, Douse*, Mind Read, Reveal, Prism, Plasma, Impact, Bind

Items:
Bodywear: Jerkin
Other: Douse Drop

Djinn:

PMJ: Lv 18 Ascetic

Douse, Wish, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Volcano, Restore

Items:
Weapon: Frost Wand

Djinn:
Scorch: (Mars) "Stun a foe with a blast attack."

Player Notes:

When I said Celev would have low PP in his new class... man, I didn't know how much I meant it. When I booted back up, I was kind of shocked to see he had about ~50 PP whereas everyone else was sporting between 100-150. As such, I passed the Lifting Gem to Thena, since Thena actually has a good amount of PP and not much useful stuff to use it on.

The Desert actually is kind of a pain in the ass. The actual damage effect of the heat isn't too bad, really; it does about a quarter Max HP in damage to the entire party (easily fixable by spending 9 PP to cast Wish) and it lowers the gauge to the bottom again, too. What's annoying, though, is the fact that the "Reveal" areas are sometimes jokes, the entire area is one big open spot so there's lots of running around to find everything, and the 4 party members constantly pop up with conversation lines complaining about the heat. So, it makes it feel a lot longer and more annoying than it actually is mechanically.

However, a very subtly important thing of the desert is that it teaches you about the importance of that particular hexagon shape:

Rfj5EBk.png

From here on out, this pattern will be repeated often, and every time it is, there will be something in the center that will be revealed only with the use of, well, Reveal. :U

Getting 4 Djinn for everyone has bumped them all up to the next levels in their class tree, as you can see. Thena earned herself... Impact and Ward, sarcastic yay. PMJ has Wish now too, so she and BV can share healing duties, and she's started getting some Mars attacking Psynergy, too. Celev gained some more offensive Psynergy and will gain Revive once he gets another level. So far, I haven't had a single party member ever KOed, but it certainly will happen as we progress through the game and the bosses start getting tougher, so it'll be nice to have.

Anyway, hope you're all enjoying. :3 Next chapter will start with a bit of backtracking to visit home.

Chapter 10: This chapter is fulla sekrits

As we headed for the Kalay gates, we happened across a tour group preparing to held out for Tolbi to see the Colloso Festival. Apparently there were some problems on the road but they managed to secure a spot on a ship that would be leaving relatively soon. We watched them fuss about for a bit impatiently as the tour guides confirmed that everyone was there, and then they were off headed west. BV, Celev, PMJ and I shrugged and continued on our own path, out of the city and back up north via the newly-repaired bridge.

It wasn't long before we were back in Vault were we met with BV so long ago. Excited to see if we could find any new secrets, we explored around the town a bit, ringing a bell on a watchtower and derping about. We happened to find a hexagon Reveal spot that led down to a secret save, sweet! The cave itself was pretty straightforward except for one rather tricky puzzle that involved pushing a torch column in timed intervals to avoid dripping water putting out the fire. The end of the cave led us to a grassy knoll where we found another Venus Djinni for Celev.

Afterwards, we hightailed it out of Vault and went back home for a bit. After doing a quick pop-in to say hi to my mom and Celev's folks, we went back over by DNA's house in the woods where a huge fallen boulder was blocking a path. I was able to use Lift to get the boulder out of the way, giving us access to... another cave. This one used a nice combination of different puzzles and led us to the Halt Gem which I gave to BV. He got a chance to use out the new Psynergy almost immediately on a skittery Jupiter Djinni that kept running away from us.

Our next stop was all the way back in Bilibin where we'd noticed a puzzle we couldn't quite solve yet. The Douse drop let us put out a fire to access a new area where we picked up some useful items.

<Celev> Are we almost done backtracking yet? I want to move on with the plot. :<
<PMJ> Yeah, these paragraphs are getting to be tl;dr.
<Thena> This is the last backtrack secret, I promise. We have to move forward with the plot to get to the next secret anyway.
<Everyone> Woohoo, plot! \o/​

We made our way back across the region and it was almost a relief when we were finally back in a land where the enemies didn't die from a single hit. We went passed Kalay and over to the docks where hopefully a ship to Tolbi would be waiting for us. Sure enough, we were in luck! We bought tickets and headed up onto the ship. Talking to the passengers and sailors taught us a bit about the situation: not only way the road to Tolbi completely blocked (which is what was forcing everyone to sail there in the first place), but the Karagol Sea itself (a small, land-locked sea in the middle of the continent) had recently been inundated with monsters!

<Capn> I ain't afraida no monsters. I mean, I do wish we had some warriors to help fight 'em off just in case, but so long as I have my lucky.... *gasp* Where the hell is my Anchor Charm? Ohgods, I can't sail without me charm! We'd all be dead!
<Tourist> Ohgod, we're never going to get to Tolbi in time for the carnival... ._.;​

Luckily for the Capn (and everyone else, too), I happened to overhear a particularly shady sailor muttering to himself. BV read his mind and discovered that the sailor was afraid of the monsters and didn't want to sail, so he hid the Capn's charm so that the Capn wouldn't agree to sail the ship. We found the charm and brought it to the Capn's quarters.

<Capn> Oh thank heavens! My lucky charm! Now we can set sail!
<Sailor> I know you're confident the charm will protect us and all, but, well, shouldn't we have some soldiers on standby in case any monsters do break through?
<Capn> Ugh, fiiiiiine. You guys, ones who brought me my charm. You look like warriors. Will you fight any monsters that hop on board to protect my crew?
<Thena> Sure, no problem.
<Capn> There, are you happy now?
<1stMate> Well, I was thinking that we should probably have some backup oarsmen, too, you know, in case something happens. If we don't have enough oarsmen, we won't be able to go anywhere, and we don't have any replacements available!
<Capn> Eh, we can just use passengers to help us row if necessary.
<1stMate> Are you sure that's--
<Capn> Look, do you want to get to Tolbi or not? Quit yer bitchin' and let's go!
<Tourist> To be honest, I don't mind rowing if it means we can finally get there. This has already taken way too long. -_-;;;​

Thus, it was decided. Our group would fight any monsters that came on board and the tourists would help row if it became necessary.

<BV> You don't think they'll actually make the tourists row, do you?
<Thena> Of course I do. In fact, I'm counting on it.
<PMJ> Counting on it for what? And how do you know anyway?
<Thena> Let's just say it's Protagonist Intuition.
<Celev> That's Thena's fancy way of saying that she knows it'll happen because otherwise they wouldn't have made a point of talking about it.
<1stMate> Go on and get to the belowdecks you guys! Defend those oarsmen! And if you need any additional rowers, it'll be your job to come up and pick one!
<Thena> Aye aye!​

We went down to the belowdecks area where the oarsmen were stationed and finally, we were on our way. However, it wasn't long before the sailor up in the crow's nest spotted monsters approaching. The Capn tried to dodge around them, but it was no use; the monsters slipped into the ship and battle was on! We managed to take them out handily, but one of the oarsman was injured, so I chose this kind of douchey guy to replace him and then we continued onward. Twice more, monsters attacked the ship. Since each group took out an oarsman, I was forced to pick out 2 additional rowers, a bald guy and a chef.

<Celev> Hey, Thena, you're being kind of weird about who you're picking to row here.
<Thena> There's a reason for it. Protagonist Intuition, remember? You gotta trust me.​

We were back on our way again when a sudden storm began brewing around us. But it wasn't a regular storm, it was caused by a gigantic kraken! The beast had jumepd up on the top of the ship and KOed the fighters and sailors there. It was up to take it down and we did, handily. It was our first serious boss fight since we class-swapped, and we handled it decently well. Celev, PMJ, and I all put a bunch of our Djinn on standby to release some powerful summons, while BV held on to his to keep his healing, and because we didn't think a water-based summon would do all that much damage against what was effectively a sea monster. BV kept us all in good health while Celev and I did most of the damage. PMJ mostly kept us up with support, like removing Poison. Eventually, the Kraken was dead, though at the expense of yet another oarsman... somehow. This time I picked an old man as a replacement.

<PMJ> Okay, seriously, that guy is like old enough to have given birth to my grandfather. Why did you pick him to row?! This makes no sense!
<Thena> Just trust me, it'll be worth it.
<BV> So, uh, are you going to explain this all to us?
<Thena> In due time.
<Sailor> Land ho!
<Tourist> Ooooh, we've hit land already? Wow, that was fast! Is that Tolbi there?
<1stMate> Errr... no, that doesn't look like Tolbi at all.
<Sailor> Huh? Where are we then?
<1stMate> I have no idea! We must have gotten knocked off course somehow. We should probably land on that island to get our bearings.
<Thena> Yessssss.​

We landed on the island and I managed to convince the Capn to let us go scout around and look for monsters.

<Celev> So, now are you going to tell us what the hell is going on?
<Thena> Welcome to Crossbone Isle!
<Everyone> o_o;
<Thena> It's a sekrit location. I had to purposefully unbalance the rowers in order for us to veer off course and land here. Isn't it cool?
<PMJ> Thena, that's so mean! What if those tourists miss that festival?
<Thena> Relax, no one's missing anything. The festival won't start until we get there no matter how much time we spend on this island.
<BV> So, uh, if this is a sekrit place... does that mean it's difficult?
<Thena> Totally!
<BV> Eeep!
<Thena> But don't worry about it. Getting here via the ship is actually kind of an easter egg. Since we got here early, there's not even all too much we can do yet.
<Celev> Ohgod, not only is it a sekrit location, but we're underleveled, too...
<PMJ> You're going to kill us all!
<Thena> We'll be fine, honestly! Just going to do a bit of exploring, see how far we can get, then come back to the ship with some treasure.
<BV> >_>
<PMJ> <_<
<Celev> <_>
<Thena> Come on, trust me. ^_^​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 19 Enchanter
Celev: Lv 19 Barbarian
BV: Lv 19 Scholar
PMJ: Lv 19 Ascetic

Thena: Lv 19 Enchanter

Catch*, Lift*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Impact, Ward, Weaken, Delude, Sleep, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Vulcan Axe
Other: Catch Beads, Lifting Gem

Djinn:
Smog: (Jupiter) "Veil a foe's vision in smoke."
Kite: (Jupiter) "Attack twice next round."

Celev: Lv 19 Barbarian

Growth, Revive, Force*, Move, Planet Diver, Spire, Mad Growth, Blast, Nova, Impair, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Great Axe
Armwear: Vambrace

Djinn:
Vine: (Venus) "Tangle foes to drop Agility."
Sap: (Venus) "Attack a foe and steal HP."

BV: Lv 19 Scholar

Wish, Douse*, Halt*, Mind Read, Reveal, Prism, Plasma, Impact, Bind

Items:
Bodywear: Jerkin
Other: Douse Drop, Halt Gem

Djinn:

PMJ: Lv 19 Ascetic

Douse, Wish, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Volcano, Restore

Items:
Weapon: Frost Wand

Djinn:
Scorch: (Mars) "Stun a foe with a blast attack."

Player Notes:

So, yeah, basically this chapter is, indeed, all about sekrits.

If you remember back in the beginning of the playthrough, the whole reason Hammet mustache dude went to Lunpa in the first place was because the bridge was out. That out bridge served two purposes, as a plot device for that part of the story, and also to force us to go a certain way on the world map. Now that we're back to the other side of the bridge, the bridge has been magically fixed, enabling us to get back to some old areas quite a bit easier than before, and to access some hidden things that we weren't able to get earlier because we didn't have the right Psynergy.

Thena was mostly correct about her explanation of the group's sidetrack to Crossbone Isle. It is indeed a sekrit location in the game, and is available via two methods. This is the first; the other method comes quite a bit later in the game. It gets harder the further you go in, but there's actually a hard cap on how far we can explore now because one of the puzzles that blocks our path requires the use of a Psynergy that we don't have yet. Despite the fears of my group, we'll be fine just fine.

Otherwise, this was a long but not particularly eventful chapter. No new towns or dungeons means not much new gear either. The ship to Tolbi is kind of an amusing subplot, but little actual action happens. I was originally planning on including Crossbone Isle in this chapter, but I think it's long enough already, so we'll wait for tomorrow. I don't want to tall of text people too much. :p

Hope you all enjoyed the chapter!

Back