Having trouble building tournament-level decks

RunningWithScizors

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I'd like to make a comeback to the tournament scene after about a year-and-a-half's hiatus, but I have one problem. I really don't know how to build good, tournament-level decks. I mean, I can build a deck, but I can't really make it consistent. So if somebody could perhaps take a tournament-level decklist, break it down piece by piece, and explain why each of the cards are used and the quantity used, I would greatly appreciate it. Bonus points if you post one with only 3 Shaymin EX, since that's all I have and that's all I can get in the foreseeable future. (It seems like I learn better if I can visualize each of the steps in a process/timeline/event.)

I know that I've mentioned deck building tips to you before, but have a link to the thread again. This post also touched on consistency.

Also, I suggest you read this guide, which give you some good tips on making competitive decks. Pokemon.com also has an article about making competitive decks that you may find helpful.

Just a note, 3 Shaymin in a deck is actually pretty uncommon at the moment. I often run one, some run two.

Anyways, here's the Seismitoad/Bats decklist that Mees Brenninkmeinjer came runner up in Worlds, whick I'll run through and predict why they used that card.
3 Seismitoad-EX
3 Crobat PHF
4 Golbat PHF
4 Zubat PLS
2 Mewtwo-EX
2 Shaymin-EX
4 Professor Juniper
3 N
2 Xerosic
1 AZ
1 Colress
1 Lysandre
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
4 Super Scoop Up
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Muscle Band
1 Computer Search
3 Virbank City Gym
4 Double Colorless Energy
3 Water Energy

Seismitoad-EX
As the main attacker of the deck, Mees naturally would've chosen to put high quantities of Seismitoad-EX. Many players choose to run a full 4 count for maximum consistency, especially to increase the odds of starting with Toad and thus getting a Turn 1 Quaking Punch. I personally find it quite interesting that Mees opted for only 3 Seismitoad-EX. This choice was perhaps to open up a slot for another card, or perhaps Mees discovered through his testing that he doesn't really use a 4th Toad.

Zubat-Golbat-Crobat
As the secondary 'attacker', or supporting Pokemon, Mees would have also chosen to max out this line, for maximum consistency. Zubat PLS is also a great starter, as it has a free retreat cost, thus allowing for a Active Zubat to switch into the preferable starting (i.e. Toad) later in Turn 1, so maxing it out is further advantageous. You may have noticed that Mees uses 3 Crobat unlike the 4 Golbat and Zubat he used. This is likely because he, like Toad, found he didn't need a fourth one. Ideally, you'd have 3/4 Zubat on the bench, two/three evolved as Golbat, and one/two evolved as Crobat, so you can Super Scoop Up the line and play them down immediately. Using this theory, it is unlikely that you'll ever need a 4th Crobat, so he chose to use that spot for something else.

Mewtwo-EX
Mewtwo, honestly, is a really mediocre card now days, with big chunky Megas. I think Mees chose to add Mewtwo as a cheap source of firepower during end games, or other matchups, a firepower that Seismitoad lacks (5o damage max is weak). As Mees already runs Double Colorless, he can drop a Mewtwo and place a DCE and Muscle Band on it, already swinging for 60, drop a few bats and perhaps a Hypnotoxic Laser. This, along with the energy already on the Defending Pokemon, could allow Mewtwo to take a few surprise KOs, and thus seal the game. The choice of only two Mewtwo likely was because Mees wouldn't really want the EX during the start of the game, instead opting for Toad. Mees also likely only used one Mewtwo a game if at all, so two just is slightly more consistent.

Shaymin-EX
This card is just sooo good! Being able to draw extra cards by simply dropping it is just great, and with all the Super Scoop Ups around, this card allows the deck to be insanely consistent. The ability to reuse (or conserve) DCEs through its attack is also beneficial. Mees likely used two for two main reasons: a) A backup in case one got prized b) Too many will increase the likelihood of starting with it, which is not ideal in this deck.

Professor Juniper
I'd say the best draw in the game. Everyone runs 4 of these for that reason.

N
More really, really good draw. The ability to disrupt your opponent while helping you is what makes this a staple in many decks. Now, Mees runs only 3 of this, unlike most people, who run 4. This could be for a variety of reasons. Firstly, with VS Seeker, Mees could easily use N 7 times if he so wished. Secondly, Mees runs multiple other Supporters that he could use for turn instead of N. Things like Xerosic use your Supporter for the turn, but also can do huge disruption to your benefit. Too many N could make it a clunky card.

Xerosic
Xerosic has many uses in this deck. Firstly, it disrupts your opponent, removing special energy quite easily. Secondly, it improves matchups against Garbodor, allowing you to discard the Tool for the usage of your bats. Thirdly, if your Seismitoad gets Head Ringered (which is pretty devastating for Toad, who has the niche of attacking for a single DCE energy), you can discard it with this. Fourthly, it improves your opposing Seismitoad matchups, allowing you to remove DCE and perhaps gain you an extra turn of items, while still locking your opponent. It also decreases the limited supply of DCE that Toad rely on to function. Garbodor, Toad and Head Ringers where among some of the most used cards in Worlds decks, so it was increasingly likely that Xerosic would have been wanted, hence the choice of two.

AZ
AZ provides two things. Firstly, a way to reuse Bats while under an Item Lock. Secondly, a guaranteed Super Scoop Up - no luck on this Supporter! AZ isn't as versatile as things like Xerosic, so Mees didn't need more than one. Besides, you have VS Seeker to reuse it if necessary.

Colress
Colress has the potential to refresh one's hand with 10 cards, or even more when versing Skyfield decks such as Rayquaza, which is huge. However, during the beginning of games, this card brings in two or so, which is really, really bad draw, which is why Mees would only run 1.

Lysandre
Lysandre is a staple card in basically every deck, as it allows you to take out benched Pokemon that are getting powered up and thus threatening you. You can even Lysandre out a weak Pokemon to take the last prize cards early, or perhaps stall for time. The choice of only one was likely due to the card often being used during the latter part of the game, where you can VS Seeker if necessary, mill your deck for, or unprize if prized in the early game.

Hypnotoxic Laser
This, in Toad decks, is amazing. In combination with Virbank City Gym, poison damage can do 60 damage going into your turn, and even more if you're lucky. This allows the mediocre 50 damage possible from Toad's first attack to become 80s, 110s and KOs. Due to this, you would naturally want to turn the Laser count to max.

Super Scoop Up
The ability to reuse the Bats is what makes this card good. It can also effectively heal all the damage on a Seismitoad-EX when used well. However, this card is really based on luck, meaning you may only pull two Scoops per game. To maximize odds, Mees chose to use 4 of this card.

Ultra Ball
This is the most versatile Pokemon searcher in the game, allowing you to search for any Pokemon at the cost of discarding a couple of cards. Mees maxed this likely to have a increasingly consistent way to find the Toads, Bats, Shaymins or Mewtwo when he needed them.

VS Seeker
The ability to reuse Supporters is simply greater, allowing you to use Xerosics up to 6 times a game! A max 4 of this generally prevents fatal dead hands, as you can grab a Juniper or N from the discard without problem. Despite this, VS Seeker is very much a dead card during the first two or so turns in a game, which is why some players opt to run 3.

Muscle Band
The ability to increase damage output by another 20 also helps increase the power behind Seismitoad. The choice of 3 here makes a lot of sense. As your two attackers are EXs, you lose two prize cards on their KO. This means, in theory, you can only use 3 EXs a game, hence the need of only 3 Muscle Band.

Computer Search
The ability to search for any card is amazing, hence why this is used in this deck. There is only 1 Computer Search because, well, ass an ACE SPEC, you can only use one of it.

Virbank City Gym
Great synergy with Hypnotoxic Laser, making poison deadly. Only three are used likely as Virbank is a popular stadium in numerous other decks, meaning it can be a dead card in some circumstances. Also, 3 is the typical stadium count in decks; any lower will likely cause you to lose the Stadium war, and decrease the viability of your Lasers.

Double Colorless Energy
With DCE, Seismitoad-EX can attack in a single Energy attachment, allowing an army of Seismitoad. Maxing this out is pretty much a no-brainer.

Water Energy
As a Special Energy, DCE gets discarded quite easily from things like Xerosic and Enhanced Hammer, thus you'll need a backup source of energy. Also, things like Aegislash-EX cannot really be damaged by any deck that runs solely Special Energy, so Water Energy is to improve that matchup. It also allows for a big Grenade Hammer to seal of the game.

Hope that helps!

This is an Expanded deck, now. How am I going to extrapolate this to make a Standard-level deck? Standard decks were what I was looking into. I'll cross the Expanded bridge when (and if) I get into it.

Also, I think this was a little too much to digest. I think I may have regretted asking it.

This is an Expanded deck, now. How am I going to extrapolate this to make a Standard-level deck? Standard decks were what I was looking into. I'll cross the Expanded bridge when (and if) I get into it.

Also, I think this was a little too much to digest. I think I may have regretted asking it.

The principals are the same for XY-on as they are in BCR-on, particularly the consistency. The counts may be different, but that'll become evident after a few Regionals and so on.

I suggest you read the guide that I linked to at the top, then Pokemon.com's guide, and then the ones I've made, if it's difficult to digest.

The main issue is are you wanting XY-ON or BW-ON (Expanded)
I suggest focusing on xy - on since Expanded is only going to be a thing for regional events.

Rayquaza/Shaymin : Runs Mega Rayquaza with Rayquaza and Shaymin ex to expoit M Rayquaza attack to do a ton of damage,
Also ran with Skyfeild

Tyranitar: Tyranitar with Yvetal (Oblivion wing can set up for a ton of damage)
Also run with battle compressors and mega turbos

Vespiqueen: This is actually a vrey cheap deck to build use Vespiqueen (the uncommon) with battle compressor.
Ran with Unown, Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon so queen can hit for 4 tupes (don't play all four at once)
discard the others for more damage

Back