Writing PMD: Explorers of Time - PokéBeach Edition! Final Chapter! Help Me Decide The Next One!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
CjVkKyr.png

Hello and welcome to my next Playthrough! This time, we will be exploring the world of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time! I haven't actually finished this game before, and I don't remember all too much from my previous attempt (which was several years ago), so this game is practically new to me! :D So, everyone will get to read along with my own thoughts and experiences about the game, as well as have some fun with the various PokéBeach aspects of the playthrough.

Members as NPCs!

Voting is done! The final cast can be found in the first spoiler below, with the original text of this section in the second spoiler.

Grovyle - thegrovylekid
Dusknoir - TwistedTurtwig
Celebi - Mora
Wigglytuff - Ice Arceus
Chatot - Tails
Loudred - WPM
Diglett - Peer
Dugtrio - Shining Raikou
Sunflora - Teal
Croagunk - BigfootAUS
Chimecho - Machamp the Champion
Corphish - Luispipe8
Bidoof - Zyflair
Skuntank - Vom
Zubat - bbninjas
Koffing - Celever
Uxie - Cinesra
Mesprit - PG24
Azelf - One Approved
Dialga - Chaos Jackal
Kabutops - Uralya
Spiritomb - Professor Palutena + professorlight
Luxray - Camoclone
Groudon - Equinox
Drowzee - King Arceus
Azurill - Porygon-X
Marill - Kecleon-X
Lapras - PMJ
Magnezone - DNA
Torkoal - Rusty Sticks
Spoink - Scorched Feathers
Medicham - Palutena
Gardevoir - Light
Lopunny - Drohn
Darkrai - ChillBill

While my party will be fairly fluid and not have much in-game interaction, PMD games contain a number of NPCs of varying levels of importance that will be popping up throughout the game. As such, we will be selecting members for these NPCs instead! :D Below is a list of all important and semi-important NPCs that are available for members to nominate names for. Much thanks goes to Keeper of Night for compiling this list for me, since the NPCs are all unknown to me.

Everyone can suggest a member name for as many roles as you wish, but you can't suggest the same member for two (or more) different Pokémon. As a reward for his help with the OP, I've given Keeper the ability to automatically assign 1 member to 1 NPC of his choice, but all other decisions will be chosen by majority vote. The member with the most suggestions for a given Pokémon will earn that role, with "Likes" of a given suggestion post acting as a tie-breaker. If there is still a tie between votes and Likes, assignments will be given at random between the winning parties.

Main:

Player (Athena) : A mysterious Pokemon that claims to have actually been a human! Unfortunately, she has lost the rest of her memory aside from that one fact. What mysteries will unfold now that she has entered the world of Pokemon?

Partner (Keeper of Night): A Pokemon that found Athena unconscious on the beach. Knows of her secret, and has shared plenty of his/her own. Together, the two swore to start their own Rescue Team, and solve the secret of Athena’s transformation. Maybe. Probably.

253.png

Grovyle: A mysterious thief that has begun stealing the world’s Time Gears, causing time to stop in the areas they had been taken from. What could be his motive?

477.png

Dusknoir: A famous explorer that has dedicated himself to catching Grovyle. Diglett doesn’t appreciate that he doesn’t have a footprint...

KtjQDl1.png

Celebi: She’s technically from the future… But if she can time travel freely, what time does she really belong in anyway?

Guild:

040.png

Wigglytuff: The guild master of Wigglytuff’s Guild. Loves apples. Has a tendency to fall asleep… Standing up… With his eyes open...

441.png

Chatot: Wigglytuff’s right-hand ‘mon. Assigns jobs to the members of the guild, and takes charge when the leader dozes off.

294.png

Loudred: A loudmouth that watches the front gate. Also acts as a living alarm-clock, waking the guild members up each morning.

050.png

Diglett: A rather timid creature at times, he assists Loudred in watching the front gate by examining a Pokemon’s footprint to tell who they are.

051.png

Dugtrio: Calm and trustworthy, he keeps the bulletin boards updated with new job postings.

358.png

Chimecho: Chimecho runs the Chimecho Assembly, helping the guild members take other Pokemon with them on adventures. She also summons the rest of the guild when dinner is ready to be served.

453.png

Croagunk: Rather quiet, runs the Croagunk Swap Shop, where the player can swap one special item for another.

192.png

Sunflora: Cheerful and optimistic, a good friend of Chimecho. Her cheerfulness seems contagious, and she keeps the whole guild in a sunny mood.

341.png

Corphish: High-spirited and quick to trust others in high-stress situations. Starts nearly all his sentences with “hey, hey!” for reasons unknown to the rest of the guild.

399.png

Bidoof: The newest addition to the guild before Athena and her partner showed up. Eager to help out where he can, showing the player around the guild on their first day. Enjoys saying “yup, yup” often; a trait he likely picked up from Corphish.

Teams:

435.png

Skuntank: The leader of Team Skull, a team of liars and wannabe thieves. The most cunning.

041.png

Zubat: A member of Team Skull. Often goes looking for trouble accompanied by Koffing.

109.png

Koffing: A member of Team Skull. Often gets into trouble with Zubat.

Bosses:

480.png

Uxie: The being of knowledge. Protects a Time Gear.

481.png

Mesprit: The being of emotion. Protects a Time Gear.

482.png

Azelf: The being of willpower. Protects a Time Gear.

483.png

Primal Dialga: The original Primal. You know, before legends going Primal was cool. Oh, and he wants to end all of time.

Less Important Bosses:

141.png

Kabutops: The angered force from deep within Brine Cave. Always joined by two Omastar.

442.png

Spiritomb: That creepy ghost thing that refers to himself as being more than one person because… Well, he is. Found deep in the Sealed Ruins.

405.png

Luxray: The leader of the Amp Plains. Accompanied by the rest of his tribe, a large group of Luxio.

383.png

Groudon: Groudon? Why? Wait, is that really Groudon?

Others:

096.png

Drowzee: A nice guy who offers to help Azurill and Marill find their Water Float. He also eats dreams and stuff.
298.png
183.png

Azurill & Marill: Brothers, they go shopping in Treasure Town for their mother because she is very ill. They’re looking for their lost Water Float.

131.png

Lapras: Offers herself as transportation to…?

462.png

Magnezone: Wears a fedora as he travels the land catching outlaws and bandits with his small army of Magnemite.

324.png

Torkoal: The Treasure Town elder, and the wisest Pokemon in town. Can often be found in the Hot Springs.

325.png

Spoink: One of the players first missions is to get the happy-go-lucky Spoink get his pearl back.

Partner Pokémon!

The people have spoken! Totodile is in first place as the Partner choice, with Chimchar and Chikorita tied for second in case I roll a Water-type starter.

In addition to assigning members for NPCs, I would also like to allow my readers the opportunity to choose which Pokémon is chosen as my Partner Pokémon, which from what I understand will function as a rather large role in the game.

I did a bit of research, and it seems like the Partner Pokémon can be chosen from among any of the Starter Pokémon that are available for the player, except for any of the Normal-type starters and any other starter that is the same type as the Player. That means the following Pokémon are potentially available to be a partner:

Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treeko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup

I have not yet taken the personality quiz to determine my player Pokémon, so any of these Pokémon are potentially available, though some of them obviously may be invalid once the game starts.

Everyone can recommend up to 3 potential Partner Pokémon. Ideally, you should spread these votes around to different types to maximize the chances of at least one of your choices being eligible. If the Pokémon in first place is available as a Partner, I will choose it, otherwise I will move down to 2nd, 3rd, etc. until I find an eligible Pokémon.

Anything else?
Uhhh... probably not! I don't really know this game myself, so I'll mostly just be playing it blind and naturally. However, if you have any questions or suggestions, you're more than welcome to post them!

Chapters! \o/

Last edited:
Partners: Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Chikorita

Me? Huh... I wouldn't mind the partner pokemon part :p

Partners: Pikachu, Chimchar and Torchic

As for myself? Uhm...can I be Chatot? Or nah @Athena?

It's not up to me. :p Members' post and Like nominations will decide all of the positions, except for Keeper's one free reward pick.

It's not up to me. :p Members' post and Like nominations will decide all of the positions, except for Keeper's one free reward pick.

Oh, okay. I just wanted to make sure. I guess I'm nominate myself for Chatot instead of jumping in and "claiming" it.

Current tally!

Partner Nominations:
Chimchar (3)
Squirtle (2)
Chikorita (2)
Torchic (2)
Mudkip (1)
Pikachu (1)
Cyndaquil (1)
Mudkip (1)
Bulbasaur (1)
Totodile (1)

Member Nominations:
Groyvle - thegroyvlekid (2)
Chatot - Tails (2)
Partner - Chaos Jackal (2), Green778 (1)
Dusknoir - KoN
Magnezone - DNA

Last edited:
Oh look, a playthrough.

I'm gonna say Torchic, Bulbasaur and Totodile.

As for me... well, I'm gonna ask for the partner Pokemon, since thegrovylekid already asked for Grovyle.

Edit: To answer Athena's wish and to not let my sacrifice go to waste, I'll nominate thegrovylekid for Grovyle. KoN for Dusknoir, and although he's not here, DNA for Magnezone.

Edit 2: Since KoN reserved the partner for himself, I'm gonna nominate myself for Primal Dialga. Also WPM for Loudred.

Last edited:
You guys should nominate other people too aside from just yourselves. :p

Making me go looking for this instead of telling me when it first went up...

Also, wow free pick, umm... Yeah, I haven't a clue. Partner? Dusknoir? Dialga? Grovyle? So many good characters.
Think me selfish, but I'll choose the partner. The only one tied at the moment, and the one most likely to end in randomization.

Partner Suggestions: Torchic, Totodile, Pikachu.

Nominations:
Grovyle - thegrovylekid
Dusknoir - Ice Espeon
Celebi - Mora
Wigglytuff - Drohn
Chatot - Tails
Loudred - WPM
Diglett - Brave Vesperia
Dugtrio - BigfootAUS
Sunflora - Teal
Croagunk - safariblade
Chimecho - Shining Raikou
Corphish - Glace
Bidoof - Zyflair

Skuntank - Vom
Zubat - bbninjas
Koffing - Celever

Uxie - One Approved
Mesprit - PG24
Azelf - Bacon
Dialga - Chaos Jackal

Kabutops - Uralya
Spiritomb - Professor Palutena + professorlight
Luxray - omahanime
Groudon - Equinox

Drowzee - King Arceus
Azurill - Porygon-X
Marill - Kecleon-X
Lapras - PMJ
Magnezone - DNA
Torkoal - dmaster
Spoink - Scorched Feathers

Last edited:
Since Keeper used his free nomination to make himself the Partner, neither he nor the member for the Partner Pokémon are eligible for further nominations.

I'll get a new updated tally up in the morning. In the meantime, everyone should feel free to keep nominating Pokémon for the Partner and member names for the other available roles! :D

Grovyle: Me [Already said this]
Dusknoir: Ice Arceus
Celebi: Skyla

Wigglytuff: Green778
Chatot: Tails [Said this too]
Loudred: WPM
Diglett: blob55
Dugtrio: Camoclone
Sunflora: Teal
Croagunk: Chaos Jackal
Chimecho: Greninjatheninja
Corphish: bbninjas
Bidoof: theniceracoon

Skuntank:Vom
Zubat: bbninjas
Koffing: Celever

Uxie: One Approved
Azelf: Otaku
Mesprit: Reggie Mcgigas
Dialga: Shining Raikou

Kabutops: Uralya
Spiritomb: Professor Palutena + Professor Light
Luxray: Pikachu6319
Groudon: Equinox

Drowzee: King Arceus
Azurill: Rakkis157
Marill: Luispipe8
Magnezone: Gadgetjax
Torkoal: Rusty Sticks
Spoink: Scorched Feathers
Lapras: PMJ

Last edited:
Updated Tally!

@thegrovylekid You had Chaos Jackal and theniceraccoon nominated for multiple spots, so I didn't include those votes. You're welcome to pick out a final nomination for both of those and/or replace the others with different nominations, but if you do so, please do it in a new post, since I'm not likely to notice edits. :p

Partner Nominations:
Chimchar (4)
Totodile (4)
Torchic (3)
Chikorita (3)
Squirtle (2)
Pikachu (2)
Mudkip (1)
Cyndaquil (1)
Mudkip (1)
Bulbasaur (1)
Charmander (1)
Turtwig (1)

Member Nominations:
Grovyle - thegrovylekid (4)
Dusknoir - Ice Espeon (1), Chaos Jackal (1)
Celebi - Mora (2), Skyla (1)
Wigglytuff - Drohn (1), Green778 (1), Ice Arceus (1)
Chatot - Tails (3), Drohn (1)
Loudred - WPM (3)
Diglett - Brave Vesperia (1), Peer
Dugtrio - BigfootAUS (1), Camoclone (1), Shining Raikou (1)
Sunflora - Teal (2), Brave Vesperia (1)
Croagunk - safariblade (1), BigfootAUS
Chimecho - Shining Raikou (1), Greninjatheninja (1), Machamp the Champion (1)
Corphish - Glace (1), bbninjas (1), Luispipe8 (1)
Bidoof - Zyflair (1), Vom (1)
Skuntank - Vom (2), Rusty Sticks (1)
Zubat - bbninjas (2)
Koffing - Celever (2), Blob55 (1)
Uxie - One Approved (1), Cinesra (1)
Mesprit - PG24 (1), Reggie McGigas, PMJ (1)
Azelf - Bacon (1), Otaku (1), One Approved (1)
Dialga - Chaos Jackal (2). Shining Raikou (1), PG24 (1)
Kabutops - Uralya (2), Wandering Wolf (1)
Spiritomb - Professor Palutena + professorlight (3)
Luxray - omahanime (1), Pikachu6319 (1), Camoclone (1)
Groudon - Equinox (2), Ice Espeon (1)
Drowzee - King Arceus (2), Celever (1)
Azurill - Porygon-X (2), Rakkis157 (1)
Marill - Kecleon-X (2), Luispipe8
Lapras - PMJ (2), omahanime (1)
Magnezone - DNA (2), GadgetJax (1), Fancy (1)
Torkoal - dmaster (1), Rusty Sticks (1), DNA (1)
Spoink - Scorched Feathers (2), Squirtle Squad (1)

Last edited:
Grovyle - thegrovylekid
Dusknoir - Chaos Jackal
Celebi - Mora (her age isn't public either ~~~~ mysterious)
Wigglytuff - Ice Arceus
Chatot - Drohn
Loudred - WPM
Diglett - Peer (checking those internet footprints y/y)
Dugtrio - Shining Raikou
Sunflora - Brave Vesperia
Croagunk - BigfooutAUS
Chimecho - Machamp the Champion
Corphish - Luispipe8
Bidoof - Vom

Skuntank - Rusty Sticks
Zubat - Teal
Koffing - Blob555

Uxie - Cinesra
Mesprit - PMJ
Azelf - One Approved
Dialga - PG24

Kabutops - Wandering Wolf
Spiritomb - The Professors
Luxray - Camoclone
Groudon - Ice Espeon

Drowzee - Celever
Azurill - Porygon X
Marill - Kecleon X
Lapras - omahamine
Magnezone - Fancy
Torkoal - DNA
Spoink - Squirtle Squad

EDIT:
Partners:
Chimchar, Totodile, Charmander

The Celebi is supposed to be pink and you forgot Magmemite under Magnezone.
BTW, are you going to add shop owners?

There's already a lot of NPCs being Member-ized for this game, so the ones currently in the OP are all I plan on including for now. If I decide to do post-game stuff, I'll open up suggestions for those characters when the time comes, but I don't know yet if I will or not.

Back