First Teaser Info for S6 'Silver Lance' and 'Jet-Black Spirit!'

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Good to see more Rapid, Single Strike Energys but the secondary effect feels quite random like

"1-How do we do this different from Aurora and Rainbow?
2-They cure status even when status are quite irrelevant these days
1- Brilliant"

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Flannery is interesting. Technically it could remove the need for you to play a higher count of stadiums to bump Path to the Peak, and with the amount of special energies in the format it probably won't be too hard to make full use of it and do both things, but I don't think "regular" decks can afford to use a turn on this rather than Research or Marnie. Maybe it finds a home in some sort of control build?

The energies are the most interesting cards to me here. Not because they're interesting themselves, they're not particularly, but because of the implications for the decks that would play them. Single Strike and Rapid strike toolbox decks are apparently really being pushed by them. SS really suffers to execute that approach compared to RS though, at least so far, nothing seems to exempt SS from having to run Houndooms. While any SS build seems to demand a 4-4 line in the form of Houndooms, RS just uses RS energy, something they would already do anyway and are left with a whole bunch more bench space and deck space. Blaziken, Urshi, Zeraora...deck's shaping up interestingly, if apparently a bit clunky. With this push towards these toolbox-y builds I wish more and more that they would print SS and RS balls that search any pokémon with the tags, even if it had an ultra ball-like drawback or something.

Another interesting consideration is how greedy these decks can get with special energies, it's not hard to envision decks running nothing but specials, but Fan can really ruin your day if you go that route. Then again, those Rapid Strike toolbox decks probably won't have much of a choice, so...

Last edited:

FilpACoin

The Best Typo
Malamar/Octillery seems like at least a fun rogue deck.
Does the not being able to be paralyzed/poisoned on the special energy also only take effect if it's paralyzed/poisoned? This wouldn't matter that much, but the wording is interesting.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Cinderace - possibly our one of the pre-release promos. On the card, its fine. If Karen wasn't enough, play Mustard and use Cinderace to get the most damage possible. 4
  • Rillaboom - ehh. Another Stage 2, so another Mustard fodder.That would be cool if its just GCC, so RSE all the way. 3-4
  • Lycanroc - the prob is... what if you consistency cards like Crobat or Eldegoss, are these count? As far as I know, there are 0 Pokemon with Battle Style tags have no consistency abilities. 3 for now. That looks promising for a 2-energy atkr. Like with all Stage 1 SS cards, you better use Houndoom in most turns.
  • Malamar - you'll gonna be heavy on RS cards, and sacking consistency cards like Crobat in order to make this work. 3-4
  • Flannery - Xerosic without the tool discard, although you can do more than one option? Sign me up, bois. 4 Geodudes
  • Siebold - some decent healing right there. 3-4
  • SS Scroll of Stabs - taking away the ability to hit weakness makes me kinda sad. Unless you're against Decidueye. 3-4
  • RS Scroll of Skies - It's just one of these atks that punishes your opponent from piling energy on. 3-4
  • Spiral/Impact - They're just Aurora Energy but gives immunity to status. Impact gives Poison immunity to SS and Spiral gives Paralysis immunity to RS. Seems interesting, I guess. 4-5/4-5

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Malamar is the Steelix deck that discards 4 retreat attackers for x50 damage except done right. Now you don't need additional cards to recover your lost resources and you can also rely on Octillery and Kricketune to recover a lost hand - in addition to this the deck is pretty much immune to Marnie.

Lycanroc is a meh attacker. You would need to put 15-20 Single Strike Pokémon in the discard pile in order to start making consistently big damage, and that's without including consistency Pokemon like Crobat, Kricketune etc. You would rely far more on Single Strike Energy damage boost, and really, at that point you may as well run Single Strike Urshifu. Cinderace and Rillaboom are mediocre Mustard bait, the first a lot more viable than the latter at least.

Don't want to be all like "told you so" but I knew that Flannery wouldn't support Fire pokemon. They have avoided type supporters since Battle Styles released, and it's obvious that they would rather support Rapid/Single Strike Pokémon with said supporters, making the rest as generic as possible.

Also, I'm glad to see that they adressed my main complaint about non-Fighting non-water non-dark Rapid/Single Strike Pokémon not being able to integrate themselves very well into their respective gimmicks with Spiral/Impact Energy. I would rather have Rainbow back, but these have synergy with Houndoom/Octillery.

Michael Stadler

Aspiring Trainer
Why does the new RS scroll requires L+C? Is that just to make sure you can't use RS energy properly?... Just the same as why Weavile attack costs are water and require 1 energy... Meanwhile Luxray has a cost of two but of course including L energy. Special mention to Kecleon also having to play basics energy despite being in a special energy focused archetype! Am I alone feeling like all this makes no real sense at all and the cards have much less synergy than they are supposed too?

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
It's fun that the illustrations of SS and RR show them in training in the first stages and then perform the techniques in their final stage.

Also can't wait for SS Charizard and RR Charizard(just kidding lol).

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Also, I'm glad to see that they adressed my main complaint about non-Fighting non-water non-dark Rapid/Single Strike Pokémon not being able to integrate themselves very well into their respective gimmicks with Spiral/Impact Energy. I would rather have Rainbow back, but these have synergy with Houndoom/Octillery.

To the best of my knowledge Houndoom only accelerates Single Strike Energy but not Impact Energy. Likewise Urn of Vitality would only be able to shuffle Single Strike Energy back into the deck but not Impact Energy.

However Octillery may search for both Rapid Strike Energy and Spiral Energy and therefore has synergy with this new card. I assume that this card is mainly ment to boost Blaziken VMAX in combination with Zeraora V since Octillery provides needed search and consistency in addition to Jirachi outside of Japan and Spiral Energy allows you to utilize the attacks of Blaziken V and Zeraora V alike which makes the deck a little more versatile.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
To the best of my knowledge Houndoom only accelerates Single Strike Energy but not Impact Energy. Likewise Urn of Vitality would only be able to shuffle Single Strike Energy back into the deck but not Impact Energy.

Houndom and Urn support Single Strike Energy cards, not "Single Strike Energy" as a singular card, so they cover these and any other future Single Strike Energy cards.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Houndom and Urn support Single Strike Energy cards, not "Single Strike Energy" as a singular card, so they cover these and any other future Single Strike Energy cards.

I would not be that sure about that. Guess we will need to wait for a ruling on this one.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
I think the Malamar says "Rengeki cards", not "Rengeki Pokemon".

Got the same information from Hou Hou news which also states that Malamar may reveal any number of Rapid Strike cards in your hand and returns them to your deck to deal 40 times the number of cards revealed and shuffled back into your deck in this way. This makes Malamar a lot better and much more versatile.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
That Inkay with all the Curry ingredients is adorable hehe! I think the art recently in general has been amazing! #squattingHypno

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
I would not be that sure about that. Guess we will need to wait for a ruling on this one.

We don't need to wait on rulings. I can bet you $10 bucks it works like that. Houndoom uses exactly the same wording as Octillery does, except it adds "Energy" to the sentence. There's no need to be obtuse.