Alakazam from “Mask of Change”

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
The Alakazam evolution line was just revealed from SV6 Mask of Change! The set will release in Japan on April 26th. It should combine with March’s Crimson Haze to form our Twilight Masquerade set in May.
Abra – Psychic – HP40
Basic Pokémon
Ability: Teleporter
Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, you may shuffle it and all cards attached to it into your deck.
[P] Beam: 10 damage.
Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)
Retreat: 1

Kadabra – Psychic – HP40
Stage 1 – Evolves from Abra
[P] Psychic: 10+ damage. This attack does 30 more damage for...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
The good trend I see in H-on is giving Stage 2 Pokemon attacks that only cost 1 Energy, but deal significant damage. Alakazam has some interesting attacks that might work as a one-off in psychic decks.
Also Abra technically works as a stall counter?

I like the illustration for abra a lot. There is something about the composition, colorchoices and atmosphere that I would want to hang on my wall.

New baby alakazam for pokedexes just dropped
Luckily I already had a DP Alakazam in the Pokédex, my main problem was Kadabra because of the Yuri Geller issue, since my Pokédex rules are "only regular layout" and "only cards from EX Ruby Sapphire on" I had to break the rule for years putting a Base Set Kadabra in. Now I have the 151 one in it, but I would like to swap it with the new one since I'm trying to have the 151 masterset in a separate binder and I don't want 151 cards in the Pokédex.

All 3 cards have been illustrated by new artists that have debuted in the SV era.

Nice to see a baby Alakazam in a long time. Also great to see this line in general, I was wondering when they would get their first "random" appearance since Uri Geller gave the green light as their appearance in 151 was a given.

So you deal 200 damage to the active, then next turn you Salvatore up to Alakazam and spread that 200 across 3 70hp mons? I guess that’s what you get for not running jirachi.

Love to see this line again. All the art is great and Uninori may shape up to be one of my favorite new artists - the coloring style is reminiscent of Ken Sugimori before Generation III. The Abra pleases me greatly - I love it when random evolving Basic Pokemon have good abilities, I hope they do this more.

As for Alakazam, it's an interesting attack and might be good someday, depending on what cards are released in the future.

Oh dang. You’re right. So it’s only stopped by rabsca.
Which leads me to what the ruling would be on this scenario:
- You gust your opponent's heavily damaged Active Pokémon for a weaker HP 'Mon
- Use Alakazam's Strange Hack to attempt moving the damage from the Benched 'Mon to the Active, more or less effectively "healing" the Bencher

Does Rabsca stop that manipulation since it's an effect of the attack?

Luckily I already had a DP Alakazam in the Pokédex, my main problem was Kadabra because of the Yuri Geller issue, since my Pokédex rules are "only regular layout" and "only cards from EX Ruby Sapphire on" I had to break the rule for years putting a Base Set Kadabra in. Now I have the 151 one in it, but I would like to swap it with the new one since I'm trying to have the 151 masterset in a separate binder and I don't want 151 cards in the Pokédex.
I go hard with weird self imposed rules too - lol - my Pokédex is ONLY cards I pull and theoretically ONLY reverse holos - but I have put in radiants as they are basically visually similar to reverse holo cards - I have thought about doing a retroactive time like you mentioned and setting a cut off because some of my reverse holos are from the early early days and they are the Pokémon that is holo not the background/card but they are “reverse holo” just a different implementation- ANYWHO waiting for a kadabra to rip that was a reverse holo was SO HARD - that hole sat empty for what seemed like forever! Can’t wait to swap it with this one!

The good trend I see in H-on is giving Stage 2 Pokemon attacks that only cost 1 Energy, but deal significant damage. Alakazam has some interesting attacks that might work as a one-off in psychic decks.
Also Abra technically works as a stall counter?
It works as a stall counter, just not a very good one. Pidgeot V's ability can activate the moment after you bench it, whereas Abra needs to get to the Active Spot turn after turn to be effective. It'd work if you run free retreat 'mons tho...

Back