GameStop To Begin Buying and Selling Graded Pokemon Cards Next Week, Selling Pokemon Singles in Stores!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This news has been in the works for months.
We can reveal that starting next week, select GameStop stores in the U.S. will begin buying graded trading cards from customers, including Pokemon! The company will sell the graded cards on GameStop.com. Eventually, the program will expand to all locations.
As with their game trade-ins, customers will be able to sell their graded Pokemon cards to GameStop for cash or store credit. It’s currently unclear how GameStop will determine the value of the cards.
One store manager we spoke to, who worked with GameStop to test this program, stated, “GameStop’s leaders believe this is the obvious next step for the company. Physical media is waning, especially for video games. It was time for the company to branch out to trading cards. They are the future.”
GameStop will initially accept PSA 8 cards...

Continue reading...

This is worrisome. If this works out, Gamestop may be able to influence the market price of relevant singles. As far as I know, we've never had a big outside corporation like Gamestop have their hands in the TCG pot in such a way, and I'm doubtful Gamestop will bend to the secondary market if they don't have to. The consequences of their involvement on prices of singles could be a new world order for secondary sellers.

This is worrisome. If this works out, Gamestop may be able to influence the market price of relevant singles. As far as I know, we've never had a big outside corporation like Gamestop have their hands in the TCG pot in such a way, and I'm doubtful Gamestop will bend to the secondary market if they don't have to. The consequences of their involvement on prices of singles could be a new world order for secondary sellers.
What about TCGPlayer being purchased by eBay? That definitely feels like a big outside corporation making it so that market manipulation is ezpz seeing as they just bought their competition.

Excited to see eBay buy GameStop and close all their locations to become an online shop.

What about TCGPlayer being purchased by eBay? That definitely feels like a big outside corporation making it so that market manipulation is ezpz seeing as they just bought their competition.

Excited to see eBay buy GameStop and close all their locations to become an online shop.
True - I forgot about that. That said, it's not like Ebay determines the prices cards sell at themselves. I think that's the key difference.

I mean, they used to sell yugioh and pokemon cards from vending machines in NZ back in the 90s (the days where I could look but never afford).

I like the idea but also hope they don't lowball the cards that people bring in on trade or sell like they do the games. "Oh your cards worth $250 .. that's awesome!!, we can give you $5 cash or $20 store credit."

I like the idea but also hope they don't lowball the cards that people bring in on trade or sell like they do the games. "Oh your cards worth $250 .. that's awesome!!, we can give you $5 cash or $20 store credit."
I kinda think they will have to at least semi low ball at the start. They don't have the instore data to go off of. As they learn the market, they can adjust prices if needed, buy and sell.

Or the safe bet is to buy cheap enough you can make your margin and sell on ebay at auction prices.

Back