(1) 'Once in a Blue Moon' PokeBeach Podcast - Arceus! [11/5]

Just finished listening to it, awesome podcast, sounded like my friends and I going back and forth between why you can catch a horribly injured or even sleeping Pokemon and not a fainted one, but I'm deviating from the topic.
I'm looking forward to the American release if only because Pokemon seems to be making a comeback. In nintendo world I see more kids flocking to the Pokemon section and the larger Toysrus in the city by me recently restored their Pokemon section, putting some new goodies in the area.​

Woo, good podcast. :3 Wish I could've been there to discuss my favorite Pokémon of all time, but my parents kicked me off the computer really early. xP Thanks to Gin, Cally, Bela, and WPM for having the podcast. :D

Is there a way I can listen to it? I don't have an iPod to do it? Also the forum link is not below the news story.:)

You don't need an ipod. It's in mp3 format, so you can just listen to it on the computer. It should open in Windows Media Player, or whatever default program you have set to handle mp3 files.

Just right click on the blue link in the news post on the main page, and select "Save As..." It'll save the mp3 to your computer so you can listen to it with no problems.

Oh ok. I might do that tonight if I have time. I have to got in a bit. Thanks for the help though.:)

Interesting podcast. The whole point of bringing up religion concerned me at first because I thought the podcast would be centered around comparing the concept of Arceus (or the entire Pokémon franchise in general. Hopefully this won't bring up controversy and cause any problems), so I'm glad it wasn't completely that way. I laughed when you brought up the whole changing of Arceus' voice when he calms down topic, haha. It seems as though there IS a lot of controversy revolving around Arceus, not only with the pronunciation of his name, and not only with the whole religion comparison, but with the plot of the movie even and the message it's trying to send of Arceus as a concept and the concept of the rest of the plot. I don't quite understand a lot of the movie myself, so I'll watch it a few times myself I suppose. Nice Giygas reference, Bela ;p All in all a very good podcast. It's nice that PokéBeach is doing these again. Looking forward to the next one!

But... about the whole religious comparison of Arceus. Wasn't it said that Arceus was only the God of Sinnoh? Not the entire world? Maybe I misunderstood. But the thing is, nobody in the Pokémon world practices any religion. People do create things like the Tin Tower for example to PRESERVE the Pokémon. All of the legendary Pokémon are currently in existence. They don't worship these Pokémon the way a Christian might God. I think this is looking into it WAY too much. I agree with Jon (if you don't mind I call you that xP) when he said this is supposed to be fun. It's not MEANT to insult a black person (Jynx), they didn't MEAN to give children seizures (Porygon), and they don't MEAN to copy a religion with Arceus. They're just trying to answer a few questions within the Pokémon world; and some of those questions are "who created the Pokémon world?" I guess they needed Arceus to answer those questions.

Also, lol at the whole Mr. Mime 4 fingers thing.

Haha, your impersonation of Herrosferret was pretty funny.

There was a lot of ranting going on but it was good, and very interesting discussion. This makes me even more excited for the movie. Only 15 more days! Thanks everyone who participated in the podcast.

oyeah1988 said:
Geez Jon does a "great" impersonation of Heerosfeeret.
Interesting podcast so far ;p

I agree lol. Pills ftw.

Great Podcast. These are all the more better because it's rare to see one. ;p Good discussion on all the topics. Good job guys. (And Bela, speak up. Jeez! ;o)

dmaster out.

Hi! I'm registering just to shed some light on the "stupid" changing for Mr. Mime. The four-fingered hand is associated in Japan with the Yakuza, that prominent syndicate of organized crime. The ritual is called yubitsume. Look it up on Google for a quick look. (I've heard that this is actually one of the reasons why the four-fingered hand is a rare motif in general Japanese cartoons too.)

The Yakuza is a pretty prominent organization. Nintendo et al. want to make money, and they don't want to be associated with the Yakuza. Simple as that! :) One could guess that the Yakuza might even think that they're being disrespectful toward them and trivializing what must be painful sacrifices—not people you want to offend! Maybe those were the "complaints" that that employee was referring to.

Loved the podcast itself—it's like a window into a crazier world! I think it's totally okay to do it rarely—it's much better to err on the side of less often, so that you always have plenty to talk about. :)

decent doofus said:
Hi! I'm registering just to shed some light on the "stupid" changing for Mr. Mime. The four-fingered hand is associated in Japan with the Yakuza, that prominent syndicate of organized crime. The ritual is called yubitsume. Look it up on Google for a quick look. (I've heard that this is actually one of the reasons why the four-fingered hand is a rare motif in general Japanese cartoons too.)

The Yakuza is a pretty prominent organization. Nintendo et al. want to make money, and they don't want to be associated with the Yakuza. Simple as that! :) One could guess that the Yakuza might even think that they're being disrespectful toward them and trivializing what must be painful sacrifices—not people you want to offend! Maybe those were the "complaints" that that employee was referring to.

Loved the podcast itself—it's like a window into a crazier world! I think it's totally okay to do it rarely—it's much better to err on the side of less often, so that you always have plenty to talk about. :)

That makes sense. That would explain the cultural difference on fingers. Quite a few American cartoons have only 4 finger hands.

omahanime said:
That makes sense. That would explain the cultural difference on fingers. Quite a few American cartoons have only 4 finger hands.

Righto—that's often attributed to taking less effort to animate, which was a big deal especially in the early twentieth century and still is today for many studios. (Someone's free to correct me if they actually know anything substantial about Western animation history, though. :)) But I've read, and it makes sense, that it's just not a good thing to draw in Japanese culture because of the Yakuza, even if it would make a studio's lives easier.

I don't know what Sugimori or whoever at Game Freak or Creatures, Inc. was thinking about while designing Mr. Mime, but he or she probably didn't think about how the Yakuza, or at least the public, would react. I'd guess that he or she didn't have any idea that Pokémon would attract as much attention as it did, as many other people did. It's not something that matters that much anyway, whether one's designing a new creature or quietly tweaking it.

Back