(1) Redshark 'Supreme Victors' Release [8/23]

uhh same problem as last time :/ It doesnt save decks... and i doing something wrong? (vista)

Did you guys do what WPM said? install to C:?

DocRobot_K-176 said:
Ok... I just did some testing with this, and something weird is going on, at least for me.

This all happened on Windows Vista.

I installed an old version of RedShark (v. 3.01). I went ahead and created a deck. Afterwards, I uninstalled the program. When I checked the Program Files folder, the redshark directory was gone. No files or anything. Completely gone.

But don't panic just yet. I went ahead and reinstalled version 3.01 and created another deck. When I navigated to the redshark directory under Program Files, the deck I created wasn't there. How could it be that redshark sees the decks it creates, but you can't see the files?

It turns out that Vista causes many programs to save to a directory called VirtualStore. It can be found here:

C:/users/(username)/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/redshark/

(username) is the account name you are using on Vista. Some of the folders are hidden, so you will need to have your computer show them. To do this, click on the folder with your username on it on the desktop. Click on the "Organize" drop down, and there should be an option for "Folder and Search Options". Click on the "View" tab. Under "Advanced Settings", there should be a folder for hidden files. Click on "Show all files". Hit OK.

You should now see the AppData folder in the folder with your Username. Go to Local, then VirtualStore, then Program Files, and then redshark. You will see your old decks there. Copy them to a different location.

It is really unfortunate that Vista has to work this way. I've heard that other developers are having problems with this same issue.

I hope this helps for recovering lost decks.

DocRobot_K-176 said:
For now, it seems the workaround is to install redshark to your main hard drive, rather than to the Program Files folder. I installed it to my C drive (C:\redshark\), and I could both save and access files just fine. Also when I uninstalled and reinstalled again to "C:\redshark\", the deck file was still there, so if you install it to C:\redshark\, your deck files won't be misplaced when you upgrade to the next version.

i'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but i don't exactly know how to work redshark cuz i see what my virtual opponent has and i play for both players

I have some suggestions on how RedShark can be better.

If they separate the windows, with a chatting window and a game log window.

Also, if they make it so the chat window can be stretched bigger.
It's really hard to see what's going on with just a small window that shows 4 lines. And to expect people to follow a conversation + game log in just 4 lines... It's tough.

But it's best if it was just 2 separate windows, so there's a game log, and a chat section in two different spots. Easier to read what the opponent is doing as well. (to make sure no one is cheating or playing wrong :p)

Back