Pokemon A Pokémon For Each Real World Country

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Since by the end of the month I'll be unreacheable for a while, I've decided to antecipate the voting phase. It'll last until the last day of November.

You can only vote on one Pokémon for each country! If two countries get the same Pokémon, there will be a second voting for those.
Countries with an asterisk (*) have only one Pokémon but one that is already proposed for another country so it'll only be decided in the end. If you think that that Pokémon fits that country then vote for it and/or chose other for the country that has the same Pokémon but other options.

Before listing the countries and Pokémon which will undergo voting, here's some countries that already got their national Pokémon due to only having one proposal and a Pokémon that wasn't suggested for another country:

Portugal - Tentacruel

Brasil - Chatot

Spain - Tauros

Greece - Relicanth

State of Palestine - Pidgeot

Mongolia - Rapidash

Romania - Noibat

Lebanon - Camerupt

Israel - Golurk

Peru - Sigilyph

Sweden - Jinx

And here goes those on which you can vote, one Pokémon for each country:

United Kingdom - (male) Jellicent, Agieslash, Buneary, Pachirisu

France - Serperior, Torchic, Furfrou, Smeargle, Mr. Mime, Empoleon

Japan - Samurott, Greninja, Hariyama

Egypt - Cofagrigus, Hippowdon, Persian, Lucario, Fennekin

Germany - Ursaring, Taloflame, Archeops

Mexico - Mandibuzz, Maractus, Hawlucha, Ludicolo

Russia - Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Cryogonal, Ursaring

USA - Xatu:, Braviary, Carnivine, Bouffalant

China - Pangoro, Weezing

Australia - Corsola, Seviper, Ariados, Kangashkan, Arbok, Fennekin

Denmark - Swanna, Trevenant:

Canada - Abomasnow, Stantler, Ursaring, Sawsbuck, Bibarel, Xatu, Beartic

Netherlands - Oddish, Pyroar, Magikarp

Jamaica* - Oddish

Belgium - Luvdisc, Magneton

India - Mega Medicham, Arbok, Arcanine

Norway - Arcanine, Pyroar

New Zealand - Squirtle, Tirtouga

South Africa - Girafarig, Zebstrika

Kenya - Hippowdon, Mightyena

Tanzania - Donphan, Infernape

Ethiopia - Krookodile, Rhyhorn

Nepal* - Abomasnow

Chile* - Empoleon

Thailand* - Donphan

Borneo - Darmanitan, Victreebel

Sumatra - Vileplume, Drowzee

Here goes my list:

Portugal
- Tentacruel: because apparently is based on a Portuguese man o' war, and Portugal is very connected to the sea, so a Water type.

United Kingdom
- (male) Jellicent: because the country is also connected to the sea and the Pokémon seems like a Sir and a gentleman! Also, UK's royalty is one of the best known in the world and Jellicent has a sort of crown on its head.

Spain
- Tauros: because one of their symbols is the bull.

France
- Serperior: this Pokémon has France almost all over it due to the Rose of Versailles inspiration.

Greece
- Relicanth: Ancient Greece was known for their navy and their sea tarde and since I'm looking at Ancient Greece, why not an ancient Pokémon like Relicanth?
- Golurk: it seems like something from Atlantida, a fabled (or not) location first mentioned in Ancient Greece.

Japan
- Samurott: Water type due to their association with the sea and the samurai theme is representative of the country's most well known period and class.

Egypt
- Cofagrigus: the mummy and pharaoh themes are obvious as well as Egypt's ancient history.
- Hippowdon: the Nile was what allowed Egypt to thrive in a country full of sand and hippos are seen in its waters.

Germany
- Ursaring: the bear is often used as one of its symbols.
- Taloflame: another of its symblos is the eagle but since there's no matching Pokémon (Braviary is more American), the peregrine falcon seems the best replacement, whose habitat includes Germany.

Mexico
- Mandibuzz: it's the only Pokémon that fits the vulture in Mexico's coat of arms in their flag.
- Maractus: based on an Opuntia, the cactus species present in the Mexico's flag and coat of arms.

Russia
- Mamoswine: because Russia is the largest country is the world and Mamoswine, while not the largest, tallest or heavier Pokémon, is heavy and also due to the mamoths founded in Siberia.

USA
- Xatu: because it looks like a tribal leader of native Americans and also a totem.
- Braviary: except for the totem part, the reason is the same as above, added that it suits the famed American eagle, used as symbol.

China
- Pangoro: does it need explanation? Pandas are native to China!

Australia
- Corsola: because of the Great Barrier Reef and Corsola being the Coral Pokémon.

State of Palestine
- Pidgeot: Because I already chose Talonflame for Germany and their flag contains an eagle, so my second choice has to be Pidgeot.

RE: A Pokémon for each real world country - post your list!

Denmark
- Swanna: Because the mute swan is the national bird of Denmark, and because of H.C.Andersens the Ugly Duck(lett)ling
- Trevenant: We have a lot of oak trees here in Denmark, and I think Trevenant resemble one the most

I also think Archeops should be added under Germany, since the archaeopteryx lived in the Southern part of Germany (according to Wikipedia), maybe instead of Talonflame

RE: A Pokémon For Each Real World Country - Post Your List!

Arctic: not really a country, but Beartic, because polar bears.
UK: Like LR said, the royalty of the UK is well known, so Agieslash, the royal sword pokemon, is clearly up there.
USA: Braviary. come on. look at it. it's got USA all over it, and it's an eagle.
France: The torchic line. france's national bird is a rooster. a lot of people would say smeargle, but i just find it stereotypical.
Japan: Greninja. Ninjitsu originated in japan, and is rather well known. if not, electrode/voltorb have the colours of the japanese flag.

Australia:
- Seviper, because Australia has 8 of the 12 most venomous snakes in the world here.
- Ariados, because when you grow up around Redback spiders and Golden Orb Weaver spiders, Ariados is pretty spot-on in representing the insects/arachnids/bugs/etc that we have to put up with around here. (Shoutout to those who have seen that photo of a Golden Orb Weaver eating a bird!)

United States: Braviary - Uh.... do I need to explain?
Mexico :Hawlucha - I think this is more respectful of Mexico's culture than Ludicolo. It's also just a cool Pokemon in general.
Australia: Kangashkan - It's a kangaroo, an animal native to Australia. I'll give an honorable mention to Psyduck due to its resemblance to a platypus, but it loses out because Golduck is clearly based on the Kappa, a monster from Japanese folklore.
China: Pangoro - Pandas are native to China.
Spain: Tauros - It's a bull, and would totally own in a bullfight.
Japan: Samurott or Greninja - Inspired by the country's warriors of legend.
Canada: Abomasnow - It would look great in a picture with some mounties.

I like the ideas you guys brought up. As for my country, the Netherlands, I find the following fitting.

Oddish: The Netherlands are very green with many plants, trees, farms, and forests. Not only does Oddish represent the green nature, but also our less strict laws.. :p

Pyroar: The lion is the national symbol/weapon of the Netherlands. Since it also has an orange mane, which is the national colour of the Netherlands, it's quite fitting.

rykswap.gif

I was thinking about the Netherlands, too! Since it's my new home and all. :p

Like Drohn, my initial thought was of Pyroar due to the lion/orange associations with the Dutch royal family, and I think that's probably the best choice for the Netherlands overall. :D But my other Pokémon suggestion would be Magikarp or Feebas to represent all of the fish we have living in our abundance of water, with various canals all over the country (though most especially in my home of Amsterdam). Magikarp is my first pick because it's most similar to the carps that live in the canals, but canal fish also tend to be rather brown and ugly-looking, too, so of course Feebas came to mind. :p

I don't really know a whole lot about other countries, but....

Canada - Stantler; after all, the mounties need someone to ride on. :D But I think there's a good symbol of that sort of rugged forestyness that Canada is so well known for.
Egypt - I love the Cofagrigous suggestion above, but my second choice would be Persian as a symbol for their early devotion to cats.

If I think of any more, I'll be sure to post again. :)

Golurk is a golem, guys, it would go on israel.

Ludicolo on mexico, with maractus.

Sigilyph around peru, I think?

And according to drohn,s reasoning, oddish to jamaica.

I've been thinking about this for about 2 days now, and there are only 2 Pokémon which can associated uniquely with the fair country of Belgium.

The first one is obviously Luvdisc. Belgium is at the heart of Europe, and the place to be for most matters related to affairs within the European Union. But also like Luvdisc, Belgium is small and pointless.

The other is a bit less obvious: Magneton. The national motto of Belgium is "Unity makes strength": "Eendracht maakt macht" / "L'union fait la force" / "Einigkeit macht stark". The fact that there are 3 translations is because Belgium consists of 3 regions with their own separate language: Dutch, French and German. The similatities with Magneton don't end there, however. Like Magneton, Belgium is an artificial country, hastily thrown together, but which somehow manages to function just fine, beyond any logic or reason.
Also, one of our national monuments (the one that isn't the peeing kid) is the Atomium, not only does it consist of a few metal balls (like a certain Pokémon we all love), it also represents the structure of an iron crystal, and Magneton is of course a metal Pokémon.

I've also criticised Drohn's choice of Pyroar for the Netherlands:
Me said:
Drohn, I feel the need to point out that every other region has the lion as a symbol and every other emblem has a lion on it. It’s the symbol of Flanders and England and the Queen herself and the national animal of Armenia, Bulgaria, Ethiopia, Iran, Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Morocco, Sri Lanka, the UK and even Belgium in general. Half of those countries deserve it way more as well.

We have come to the unilaterally imposed compromise that the national Pokémon of the Netherlands should be an orange Florges, because it's a flower and because it's orange. There, problem solved. The other Pokémon should be some water Pokémon, the noble Magikarp seems like a good suggestion.

Also, Jynx for Sweden because it's a blonde ice-type Pokémon. What other stereotypes do you need?

I nominate Koffing/Weezing to accompany Pancham/Pangoro for China because of all the smog and pollution. Also I feel Ludicolo and Hawlucha fit Mexico better than Maractus because they are more blatantly Mexican themed.

India: Mega Medicham because his design looks like a Indian God.
Japan: Hariyama it looks like a Sumo wrestler.

The United States should have carnavine due to the country's venus fly traps.

Just to add on the post above, French Poodles are actually German (if I'm not mistaken), however are the "national dog" of France.

I believe Kangaskhan should be the national Pokemon for Australia since it is in fact a kangaroo, or perhaps Arbok, since Australia is home to a large quantity of snakes.

Perhaps some Middle Eastern countries, Lebanon in particular, should have Camerupt, since camels are the main means of transportation in the desert countries.

I agree with either Cofagrigus or Persian for Egypt, though I feel that Lucario resembles Anubis in a way, I decide that Cogagrigus would best represent Egypt.

While it is not considered a country, I believe Seleo would best represent Antarctica due to the many Weddell Seals, and Ursaring represents Canada for their many bears (or maybe Sawsbuck).

And Squirtle for New Zealand? It is an island, so imagine the many species of sea turtles living there.

I'd say Arcanine would fit for Norway. Of course there's no animals that resemble a lion living in Norway, but the national coat of arms has a big lion on it.

There's too much to write so i'll post a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Norway

Could also be a Pyroar, IDK really.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Russia
- Mamoswine: because Russia is the largest country is the world and Mamoswine, while not the largest, tallest or heavier Pokémon, is heavy and also due to the mammoths found in Siberia.

I agree with you. I think Russia should also get Abomasnow, since it, like Mamoswine, really fits in with Siberia.

Other countries:
South Africa: Girafarig, Zebstrika - Both animals are endemic to most parts of Africa, including South Africa
Kenya: Hippowdon, Mightyena - Same reason as above
Tanzania: Donphan, Infernape - Again look above (Infernape, being a Chimpanzee)
Ethiopia: Krookodile, Rhyhorn - Look above
India: I agree with JiJi on Medicham, and I would suggest Arbok, because of the Snake Charmers who use cobras and I often associate snake charmers with India.

Abomasnow should go with Nepal. It is, after all, a yeti, an abominable snowman of the Himalayas.

1.Lucario would be Egypt because he looks like one of the Egyptian gods.
2.Buneary and Pachirisu for England they're both english animals but squirrels there are two types but depending on species .
3 Furfrou for France because Poodles are mainly french dogs.

Canada chiming in here:

I'd have to agree with the stantler, as there is no obvious moose Pokemon. However, I also think Bibarel is really fitting, as well as Xatu, for our first nations culture and background. (Not to mention it was the symbol Pokemon when nationals was in Vancouver).

USA: Well I'm from the US, so the obvious mascot would be Snorlax Braviary because it's the closest Pokemon to a bald eagle. Second, I would have to choose Bouffalant because they ruled the prairies before western expansion.

Canada: When I think of Canada, I think of a vast, snowy wilderness (which I think is the case the more north you go), so I'd choose Beartic or Sawsbuck.

Mexico: Hawlucha, no contest. As far as I know, luchadores are highly beloved and revered in Mexico.

Australia: Kangaskhan because it represents the kangaroo.

Egypt: Lucario and Cofagrigus for this nation because they represent ancient Egypt.

Chile: Empoleon because of the major penguin population here.

China: Pangoro because it represents the panda.

Japan: Kind of like the luchador and Mexico, I think the sumo wrestler is just as revered in Japan, so Hariyama for them.

France: I think of art, fancy cuisine, and mimes when this country comes to mind, so Smeargle and Mr. Mime.

Scotland: When I think of Scotland, I think of sheep, so Mareep or Flaaffy would be a perfect choice.

England: Male Pyroar or Druddigon as the lion represents royalty and there's so much dragon mythology from this country.

Russia: Cryogonal or Abomasnow as this region makes me think of snowy wilderness.

Back