Ruling A question of wording.

KWisdom

Aspiring Trainer
[Firstly, let me say that I apologize if these questions have been asked in the past. The search function wasn't working for me (that's happened on a few boards lately so I'm thinking it may be a problem with me), otherwise I would search first.]

I played the game from around 98 - 02, and then dropped out of it, until recently. I started up a league at the comic shop I go to, just for the fun of it, and with that I bought some new cards (loving the Eevee evolutions in the new set), and learned most of the rules. I'm not near professor status or anything, but I think I have an understanding of most of the rules. However, this has been giving me trouble...

1.) When an attack 'does nothing', per an effect of the game, does it still count as using that attack? The situation was, one played used an Eevee from the new set, to use Sand Storm (I believe that's what it's called), and another player had a Torterra and used Earthquake, and rolled tails and missed. My question was: Can he then do the attack next turn, and does it still deal damage to the player's bench?

Sorry if that's not worded correctly, it's been a long day and I can edit later if necessary.

Thanks!
Kenny

KWisdom said:
When an attack 'does nothing', per an effect of the game, does it still count as using that attack? The situation was, one played used an Eevee from the new set, to use Sand Storm (I believe that's what it's called), and another player had a Torterra and used Earthquake, and rolled tails and missed. My question was: Can he then do the attack next turn

Well, let's make sure we've got the right things here:

Sand Attack
If the Defending Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.

Frenzy Plant (100)
Torterra can't use Frenzy Plant during your next turn.

Those appear to be what you're asking about.

Now, to answer the first question: yes, if the attack "does nothing", it still counts as an attack, and the player's turn ends.

But the second question....can he use Frenzy Plant next turn? Yes. The bit that says "Torterra can't use Frenzy Plant during your next turn" is itself an effect of the attack. And when the attack does nothing, that means its extra effects don't get done either. So Torterra is free to try Frenzy Plant again next turn.

KWisdom said:
and does it still deal damage to the player's bench?

I think you're getting wires crossed with Earthquake :)

Thank you!

Indeed I did get my wires crossed in the attacks. All apologies. Thanks again for the help!

And, say you play a Bebe's Search and there aren't any Pokemon in your deck. That still counts as you playing the card, because it had an effect: It let you search your deck.

TCC Co-Founder said:
And, say you play a Bebe's Search and there aren't any Pokemon in your deck. That still counts as you playing the card, because it had an effect: It let you search your deck.

To be more precise it effects the game state because you shuffle your deck after you search. Put the card back on top of your deck often refered to as "paying the cost" is not considered an effect of the game. The jury's still out on whether you can play Bebe's search when there are no cards in your deck.

Back