Any Reptile Owners/Fans?

Llamaxpalooza

Aspiring Trainer
I always have to ask everywhere I go whether it be a forum or out in the real world.

I myself own a 2ft Asian Water Monitor (Salvator Water Monitor,) and a 2 1/2ft Burmese Python (Morph: Albino Granite.) If your interested you can look up those names.

If anyone else owns anything post it up here.

I can post pictures if anyone is actually interested?

Later,

Don

I have always loved reptiles. I used to own some geckos, but not much more than that. There is a lot of lizards and snakes around our house.

Here is a picture of the kind of gecko I used to own:

flat-tailed-house-gecko--cosymbotus-platyurus.jpg

I don't like nor do i hate reptiles they just live right along side me. As long as I don't bother them I hope they won't bother me.

Great photo Rayquaza!

Now, I am more of a snake and monitor guy myself so correct me if I am wrong. But would your old gecko happen to be the common "house" gecko?

If you ever decide to own another gecko, I HIGHLY recommend the infamous Leopard Gecko. They can be housed solitarily all of their lives in a simple 10 gallon tank and become extremely tamed with proper handling daily and interaction.

Well my sister has a snake which I used to love putting round my neck, then I saw the movie snakes on a plane, yeah that kinda put me off snakes altogether....

LOL snakes on a plane!!! I'm tiried on these mother ____ snakes on this mother ___ plane!
I saw it too, en made me laugh.

llamaxpalooza said:
Great photo Rayquaza!

Now, I am more of a snake and monitor guy myself so correct me if I am wrong. But would your old gecko happen to be the common "house" gecko?

If you ever decide to own another gecko, I HIGHLY recommend the infamous Leopard Gecko. They can be housed solitarily all of their lives in a simple 10 gallon tank and become extremely tamed with proper handling daily and interaction.
I would like to get a monitor or snake, but, the mom factor always applies. :<
But yes, it was a common house gecko. I wasn't able to find much else around my house. Also, I might be getting another gecko, or maybe a turtle or a ballistic lizard.They ha some when I wet last time to Pet Co...:F

Altough the only thing in this group I have owned was a Turtle...he lasted 4 years...Then I donated the dried up turtle to my science teacher.

But I have ALWAYS been fasinated in Snakes.

My bro loves snakes. I can't figure out why. What's a good type of snake that looks cool, but still functions as a pet. Make sure its not a type that can kill my dog. That's my job. >:[

im a big fan of reptiles actually
sadly no snakes at the moment.

alls i have now is a juvenile snapping turtle and a baby red eared slider.

[ImpulseRayquaza] said:
I have always loved reptiles. I used to own some geckos, but not much more than that. There is a lot of lizards and snakes around our house.

Here is a picture of the kind of gecko I used to own:

flat-tailed-house-gecko--cosymbotus-platyurus.jpg

[ImpulseRayquaza] said:
llamaxpalooza said:
Great photo Rayquaza!

I would like to get a monitor or snake, but, the mom factor always applies. :<
But yes, it was a common house gecko. I wasn't able to find much else around my house. Also, I might be getting another gecko, or maybe a turtle or a ballistic lizard.They ha some when I wet last time to Pet Co...:F

I'd advise against any type of monitor. I have been keeping reptiles for almost years now and I held off on a monitor until this past year. They require a ton of care, massive amounts of space, and a food bill that will dent your bank account quite noticeably. My Water Monitor went from 1 foot to 2 1/2 feet in less than 6 months. As well from a pinky mouse a day to 3 hopper mice a day, which is expensive if you can't order rodents online.

I think your referring to the "basilisk." I'm not aware of any ballistic lizard and I have read about every publication there is on reptiles. I wouldn't recommend one of these either unless you have the means to build a huge cage and money to afford proper lighting. They stay under 3ft but are very active and need much more space than you'd think.

IF you are serious about getting another reptile, I would be happy to help lead you in the right direction. I wouldn't purchase anything from Petco unless it's food or accessories. Theier reptiles are highly under par and HIGHLY over priced. Check out the price on the Leopard Geckos and the Ball Pythons next time you visit. I can get each from reputable breeders personally at shows from around $20 each and Petco sells them between 60 - 100. Visit www.kingsnake.com and check out local shows. www.faunaclassifieds.com is another good site to get an idea of what prices are normal.

Here are my beloved reptilian friends.

Draco - Asian Water Monitor -
Here he is when I first got him
l_60e478cf58bfce02616602d01ac4e06c.jpg

Here he is a short 5 months later on the same log
l_e50ad017ac74996c23518e2148afc71e.jpg

Zeus - Albino Granite Burmese Python -

l_b0e0467444c74dfbbc13422b780860a1.jpgd

n654977044_1457295_5391.jpg

PS - Incase there are any roaming PETA members....fyi the rat pictured being ate was frozen/thawed and bought from a pet shop, thank you.

Enjoy!

Llamaxpalooza: Nice pictures! I am thinking of getting a python, and I hope I can get one, but I will have to save up enough money, which we don't have much of right now due to repairs on our house from damages made during Hurricane Ike.

[ImpulseRayquaza] said:
Llamaxpalooza: Nice pictures! I am thinking of getting a python, and I hope I can get one, but I will have to save up enough money, which we don't have much of right now due to repairs on our house from damages made during Hurricane Ike.

I'm sorry to hear about that. But, when you do have the money and the means get ahold of me and I'll lead you in the right direction. Just because you have the money for it doesn't mean it's the best choice. There are alot of pythons which are better suited for new keepers, and twice as many that aren't. Very few can tolerate bad temperatures and humidity which can take years to learn how to regulate safely and properly.

I would recommend the Ball Python/Childrens Python if your looking for something easy to house. If you have the means to house something a little bit larger that stays under 10ft. Then Jungle Carpet Pythons are very nice. You'll read information about the Burmese like I own that says it isn't the hardest to maintain, which is true. But keep in mind that the little guy will triple if not more it's length within a year, and eventually be eating costly rabbits/guinea pigs and defecating stools larger than the friendly St Bernard down the street :)

My AIM is Llamaxpalooza if you'd ever like to discuss reptiles in general down to their specific care needs. I know too much, too bad I can't major in herpetology and make a decent living otherwise I would haha

Back