Anyone else want a slower-paced gameplay after rotation?

SplitHeavens

Aspiring Trainer
I just recently started playing again, and competitively and I feel that everything has sped up tenfold.
I stopped playing during the release of Aquapolis/Skyridge.

With Broken Time-Space, massive drawing power, great specific card searchers, decks with very little Energy requirements, SP Pokemon(including a beastly support of Trainers), must-have techs, Flygon retreats, etc..

I don't mind that the strength of cards have drastically changed. Higher HP and lower Energy costs compared from before, but is decking out even possible now?

Attacks that require more than 3 Energies(excluding DCE) are never used or even cared about anymore.
Anyone remember when attaching one Energy per turn was crucial?
That's probably why EnergyTrans and Rain Dance decks were better back then.

I remember that... I recently picked the game back up myself... I stopped playing sometime around when Rocket came out. I'm ready to go back to a slower game. The majority of cards I have are from HG and they definitely resemble the game of old I used to play. It's hard for me to adjust or even get the cards like BTS and Claydols to play at the speed the game is at now

actually, I like the faster paced-games, sometimes games can drag on and get very boring...especially when you're playing someone who is slowing their playing pace because they are up in prizes and don't want their opponent to come back...the thing I don't like however, is the cheap factor of SP decks, I really wish they would've reprinted DRE, instead of DCE...that at least would've been more balancing, being that SPs can't use it

@ OP...yea, you do have alot of players that try to avoid using attacks that cost 3 or more energy and say they're costly...4 or more is what's costly IMO, as you can get alot of 3 energy attacks built in good time these days (even without the cheapness of SP TSS support)...I really do hope they don't do a PT-on rotation, and either do an LA/SF-on or RR-on rotation...the former would make it so that SPs have a real need to fear Machamp, and the latter would take away the more cheap SP TSS support, and level the playing field speed wise, being that EVOs lose Claydol and Uxie for draw support...slower games means longer tourneys, which means longer hours for tourney workers and more pay, which would mean less prize support for players...not only that, you already have players who slow up play for the last 10-15mins once they're up in prizes and their deck has run out of steam, slower games just mean they have less time to stall out with once their deck runs out of steam

@ chrlrssll...tbh when you leave a game like that and then come back, you should expect something like what you're going through now...of course cards that have been out and been proven to be really good cards are going to be hard to obtain...you get that from any TCG you quit for a long period of time (years) and go back to...you should really consider yourself lucky that the game seems to be taking a direction to a slower pace after such a long time...I just think it's funny, that now that pokemon is at the pace that it's at, it has reached popularity and a following in record numbers...and now they are taking it back, seems like they were already headed in the right direction, I just hope that slowing the pace of the game doesn't cause players to get bored and move on to something else

@qnetykz honestly i expected the game to be drastically different... but it was really cool that I could just borrow a deck from a friend and pick it back up fairly easily... for a game to be around 11 years and have minimal change it's formula show's how successful the game really is... Thinking about it, I'm actually ok with a fast game, in essence it was from the beginning in the base set. Speed doesn't bother me. It's how you put it, the "cheapness" of some cards that gets to me. i really do consider myself lucky that it's kind of slowing down. my only complaint (seen throughout all the forum :p) is when will i know what they are rotating out? i want to buy the cards that make games fun fast and exciting but only if i will be able to them in a year... i hate to buy a piece of cardboard for 30 bucks and boom! all the sudden in one month i cant do anything with it... as for the pace of the game slowing down possibly hurting popularity- i dont think it will... and if it does it says something more about our culture than it does the game- but that's a philosophical argument meant for other forums... not this one :p

I would really love to have a slower paced metagame. When you face a deck like Kingdra Prime or Flygon, you really see how fast the metagame is because they swarm the field like heck and once one dies, another one just comes out! Recently I've been liking leagues more for their variety, as there isn't 50 LuxChomp decks there for just one event. Luckily, many cards getting rotated out will decrease the metagame speed, so I am happy about that.

Hopefully Rain Dance decks will actually be good again. I'd like to get my BlastGatr deck competitive. D8

Firestorm said:
Hopefully Rain Dance decks will actually be good again. I'd like to get my BlastGatr deck competitive. D8

ummm...you can make it competitive now...why would you have to wait?

qnetykz said:
ummm...you can make it competitive now...why would you have to wait?

The metagame is too fast-paced in my opinion for it, especially with all the LuxChomps running around.

Firestorm said:
The metagame is too fast-paced in my opinion for it, especially with all the LuxChomps running around.

you ever hear of Spiritomb (PA)?

I dont mine the fast games. The problem for me lies in the fact that SP decks are the primary dominating force in the metagame.

I remember back in the day when a deck was good because of the combo they set up and not because it attacked for only 1 energy.

Right now, the game is basically all about who can draw faster.
Back in the day it was based on who got the better combo out.

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I run those, and?

Sure, they make the deck faster, but sooner or later it'll die or I'll have to retreat.

by that time you should full well an ready to beat face...and keep going...especially if it's later instead of sooner

shadoworganoid said:
I don't mine the fast games. The problem for me lies in the fact that SP decks are the primary dominating force in the metagame.

I remember back in the day when a deck was good because of the combo they set up and not because it attacked for only 1 energy.

Right now, the game is basically all about who can draw faster.
Back in the day it was based on who got the better combo out.

it still is based on who gets the better combo out...it's just that faster combos are out there with the amount of drawing out there...the reason that SPs are dominating is due to cheapness of their support and pokemon, plus they have a engine that doesn't really require you to draw alot...so in a sense, they have the faster combos out

it's just a matter of slowing their combos, while either speeding yours up or just running yours

^Okay, fine. I worded that poorly.

What I mean is, a couple seasons ago, pretty much any decent deck could win.

There was no clear cut super deck or obvious "beat all" deck.
Back when Salamence ex was a legal card, it had a fair 50/50 chance of beating other fast decks like Flareon ex/Ariados.
There was no such thing as auto loss really.
People never really ingnored decks based on the format.
Now currently, many decks are ignored due to the speed aspect.

In todays metagame, DialgaChomp basically auto wins against shuppet. As a result, people have looked away from playing shuppet.
Things like that basically force players to play a certain deck if they plan to win.

A long time ago I played salamence because I liked it and it actually had a fair chance to win against even the best decks.
Now, salamence has almost no chance at winning while Garchomp C is around.

The game was fun during the EX series.

shadoworganoid said:
^Okay, fine. I worded that poorly.

What I mean is, a couple seasons ago, pretty much any decent deck could win.

There was no clear cut super deck or obvious "beat all" deck.
Back when Salamence ex was a legal card, it had a fair 50/50 chance of beating other fast decks like Flareon ex/Ariados.
There was no such thing as auto loss really.
People never really ingnored decks based on the format.
Now currently, many decks are ignored due to the speed aspect.

In todays metagame, DialgaChomp basically auto wins against shuppet. As a result, people have looked away from playing shuppet.
Things like that basically force players to play a certain deck if they plan to win.

A long time ago I played salamence because I liked it and it actually had a fair chance to win against even the best decks.
Now, salamence has almost no chance at winning while Garchomp C is around.

The game was fun during the EX series.

that is due to the lack of players who want to put in time and effort to make certain decks work...

as for Shuppet from the moment I saw the deck in action, I didn't have any real faith in it, it is a rather fragile deck, and I have never lost against a Shuppet, not even a donk...but what I will say, is that Shuppet was fairly decent against many decks in the meta because there were so many SP decks at that time...and being there were powers to stop, Retire, Guard, and Set Up...normally those would be too overkilled for Power Spray to matter...so Shuppet could OHKO alot of SP pokemon, or be close enough that Crobat G's could help make it a OHKO...so it was able to get alot of wins from sheer surprise...however, that became short lived, because it's not only DialgaChomp that Shuppet has a problem with...Shuppet is what I like to call a "Glass" deck, it looks good and can perform decently well, but it is very fragile...trainer lock kills it, Mewtwo X is a big slow down, double Mime (MT) is a killer, anything with fairly high HP and good attack power just ignores it...so it's not just DialgaChomp and that keeps people from playing Shuppet, but I do understand what you are saying

you could still play Salamence, but it would have to be changed considerably to deal with Garchomp C and Flygon...granted you are on even par with Flygon, but Garchomp C is much more difficult, so you should put something in as a counter to ChC

really when it comes to the meta, it's all about what players want to play, and how much they are willing to try to make decks work...yes, there are some decks that are just not feasible in today's meta, but there are plenty ideas out there that just require work to make happen, and most of the players today are just too lazy, too uncreative, or just not skilled at deckbuilding enough to put in that kind of work...after all, the world's winning RayBees was just a Beedrill that someone made work by adding in a LuxGLX tech...even though the deck had lost a lot of steam during that tournament season and SP decks like InfLux (Infernape/Luxray) were running rampant all over the meta

qnetykz said:
really when it comes to the meta, it's all about what players want to play, and how much they are willing to try to make decks work...yes, there are some decks that are just not feasible in today's meta, but there are plenty ideas out there that just require work to make happen, and most of the players today are just too lazy, too uncreative, or just not skilled at deckbuilding enough to put in that kind of work...after all, the world's winning RayBees was just a Beedrill that someone made work by adding in a LuxGLX tech...even though the deck had lost a lot of steam during that tournament season and SP decks like InfLux (Infernape/Luxray) were running rampant all over the meta

I get what you are saying, but it's not simply "what players want to play".
What me and other people are saying(from my understanding) is that SPs and fast decks are still the most powerful no matter how you look at it.

If anyone is familiar with competitive video gaming, SP(dominating) decks are comparable to Meta Knight in Brawl or a shoto in SSFIV and slower decks being R.O.B or Makoto.
Are they beatable? Sure. Easily beatable? No.
Can they win huge tournaments? Possibly. Likely? No.

SP decks works so well and have so much support that making any other deck is basically asking for a downgrade. I'm all for building new decks and having some sort of new combos or themes, but SP decks can literally shut anything down.
Dialga, Garchomp, Luxray are all really fantastic cards with no form of downsides what so ever. And then include in SP-exclusive Trainers such as Power Spray(trap cards in my Pokemon?) and Poke Turn(guaranteed SSU for cards better than Stage 2 cards). All that without even trying to shut certain decks down.

Other decks are very, very, very specific about dealing with certain various cards while SP decks are "fearless" in terms of whatever they face, except maybe for certain decks that are MEANT to kill SP decks, but dies with any other deck.
Basically, everything now rotates around them instead being able to built your own true deck and not worrying about 1-2 very specific decks.

qnetykz said:
you ever hear of Spiritomb (PA)?

That's the thing. People know them so they run decks that have Pokemon switch out. That's why Spiritomb tech decks fail against Blazeray (T1 Luring Flame is beast).

I want the format to be semi slowe, like the ex days, but only that slow. That was the best pokemon days ever. :D

SplitHeavens said:
I get what you are saying, but it's not simply "what players want to play".
What me and other people are saying(from my understanding) is that SPs and fast decks are still the most powerful no matter how you look at it.

If anyone is familiar with competitive video gaming, SP(dominating) decks are comparable to Meta Knight in Brawl or a shoto in SSFIV and slower decks being R.O.B or Makoto.
Are they beatable? Sure. Easily beatable? No.
Can they win huge tournaments? Possibly. Likely? No.

SP decks works so well and have so much support that making any other deck is basically asking for a downgrade. I'm all for building new decks and having some sort of new combos or themes, but SP decks can literally shut anything down.
Dialga, Garchomp, Luxray are all really fantastic cards with no form of downsides what so ever. And then include in SP-exclusive Trainers such as Power Spray(trap cards in my Pokemon?) and Poke Turn(guaranteed SSU for cards better than Stage 2 cards). All that without even trying to shut certain decks down.

Other decks are very, very, very specific about dealing with certain various cards while SP decks are "fearless" in terms of whatever they face, except maybe for certain decks that are MEANT to kill SP decks, but dies with any other deck.
Basically, everything now rotates around them instead being able to built your own true deck and not worrying about 1-2 very specific decks.

actually, I'm very familiar with competitive video gaming, I was doing it back when it was being done in arcades with games like SFII, SFA (1,2,&3), any of the NeoGeo fighting games...long before the console competitions

SP decks are very dominate...why?...because they are very cheap...but even with being cheap, they are very consistent, that is part of what makes them good...if they were easily beatable, then they wouldn't be good decks and you wouldn't see them in the meta as much as you do...but there are SP decks that are still considered good and don't really get all that much play...DialgaChomp for example...many people consider this to be a good deck, but yet, it doesn't see the play that LuxChomp does...same with InfLux and BlazeRay...these were considered good decks and many players were running them, however, they started taking losses...so players start jumping ship to the new winning SP deck...now you say that decks other than SP decks are unlikely to win big tournaments...that's funny, because it hasn't been all SP decks winning big tournaments, and last year's worlds is clear evidence of exactly that...it wasn't an SP deck that won worlds

the support that SP decks have is what makes them cheap decks...that and the fact that they can be made very consistent, making them good...makes them good cheap decks...I wouldn't neccessarily say choosing to go with something different and not cheap is a downgrade, especially if it's a good deck that you are choosing to go with...there is alot out to counter SPs or slow SPs to put them on the same level with many EVO decks, but once again, almost nobody is choosing to put in much work to make the decks work...in competitive card gaming, you have to account for your metagame, that's in nearly any TCG that has high attendence tournaments

Donphan variants give alot of LuxChomp players fits, but Donphan has a big problem with decks based around {W}...Plox variants give every deck fits, but there were more people that wanted to play SP instead of Plox...if there is a way to check the attendence of these big tourneys, I would love to see the amount of players that ran SP decks compared to other decks, that too is a factor in decks getting big tourney wins...there wasn't really that many LuxChomp decks at the St.Louis Midwest Regional, and yet, LuxChomp didn't win...there were LuxChomp decks there, I know, I went against one myself...and throughout the day, he was complaining about how many Donphan decks there were at the tourney that he had to face...I don't even think he made top cut...like I said, it is what players want to play...most players are wanting to play decks that have already gotten the most amount of wins

Tyraniking said:
That's the thing. People know them so they run decks that have Pokemon switch out. That's why Spiritomb tech decks fail against Blazeray (T1 Luring Flame is beast).

not if there's an unown G attached to that Spiritomb...Luring Flame means nothing then...many EVO decks should be running Spiritomb anyway, in order to assist with setup and slow down trainer usage from Spiritomb...sure you can get that Spiritomb out of the active...however, the game isn't going to end immediately after that happens...and more than likely, Spiritomb is still alive...so all it takes it to put it back up front ,Guard it, and continue on

wait...did you say BlazeRay? I haven't seen on of those since before Cities...people still play that?

qnetykz said:
SP decks are very dominate...why?...because they are very cheap...

Really now, because one of the most popular SP cards that is a tech, Luxray Lv. X, is cheap?

I like the format the way it is and I'm sick of people complaining about its speed if its too much for you then play a different TCG. I like it, it takes luck out of it more, if you can have enough cards in your deck to get what you need then its not as much luck as just trying to draw into it that would stink

Back