Contest August 2024 Flash CaC: Water (Voting is now open!)

NinJamezor

We love Huntail
Miss CaC? Don’t worry, it’s not dead—just taking a break. But in the meantime… I’ll be hosting a Flash CaC! (and possibly more!)

Who am I you ask? I’m a Staff member on the Pokémon TCG Custom Card Community Discord server. I’ve spoken to @Jabberwock , @bbninjas , and the rest of our staff and gotten the go-ahead to run this contest. So don’t worry, it’s official!

What is a Flash CaC? It’s like the Create-a-Card contest you know and love, only faster. We’ve run a few of these on the discord server previously and it was a lot of fun. Instead of having one month to create a card according to the theme, for this Flash CaC you will have one week.

Judging also looks different: all of you are the judges! Vote for the cards you like the most. After tallying the votes, the cards with the most votes wins.

No sign-ups necessary. The contest will be hybrid, happening on both PokéBeach and our Discord server. You can post your text or image entry in this PokéBeach thread or in the post I’ve pinned in the #showcase channel on Discord. Either method will enter you into the contest!

The theme will be announced this Saturday, August 3rd, at 12:00 AM PST. After the announcement, you will have until Saturday, August 10th at 11:59 PM PST to submit your entry.

Let me know here or on the Custom Card Community Discord if you have any questions. Get Hyped!

Now, for the moment you’ve all been waiting for…

flash_cac_banner_aug_24_by_ninjamezor30_dhwcxsn-375w-2x.jpg

The theme for this Flash CaC is Water!

We’re taking it back to the very first CaC, almost 13 years ago. The only restriction is your card must be [W] type. Seems simple enough, but with the type covering the games’ water and ice types and the possibility of delta species, dual types, and tera Pokémon in the TCG, there’s more to this theme under the surface (...of the water >:) ). Happy card-creating!

How to Submit:
Post your cards (text or image) in this PokéBeach thread, or in the post pinned in #showcase on the Discord. That’s all it takes to submit your card for this Flash CaC. Easy, right? (Image fakers, remember: no generators are allowed, and your submission must have the CaC symbol, which you can find here)

(If you wish to change your submission, send me a DM before submissions close.)

You have one week to submit your entry. In other words, submissions close Saturday, August 10th at 11:59 PM PST.

Last edited:
Here's my submission!!
dhwom8v-be5f9b34-59c9-46b8-8e01-dd23111e9f9b.png

Let's run the card a little bit!

Griztrom is the water starter from my personal fake region, the Belzet region (which you can find on instagram right here: https://www.instagram.com/belzet_region_fakedex/. It has access to a new ability, Weak Spotter, which makes its super effective attacks deal some more damage (just like Neuroforce, Ultra-Necrozma's ability), and so that's what I wanted to focus on with this submission.

Not only is Wise Observation, its Poké-Body, a reference to this, but it also has a lot of synergy with this card's gimmick: a dual typing. I got this idea from the contest prompt, since being limited to one typing made me wonder how could I circumvent that. Dual-typed Pokémon can hit twice as many Pokémon for weakness, and combined with a x3 modifier, this makes for a deadly combo. This allows for its move, Cymbal Paws, to be very threatening despite its relatively tame damage for HGSS standard. Of course, Wise Observation doesn't specify that Griztrom has to be in the active spot to be on. On the bench, Griztrom becomes a powerful yet situational support Pokémon that can really help to clutch some matchups. On the flipside, being a stage 2, it requires a lot of investment, making it far from broken.

On a separate note, Cymbal Paws has a fun side-effect, which can't be triggered reliably but will always be welcome when it happens. I also thought that having the move be able to deal two types of status conditions was a nice nod to the dual type gimmick.

It's only weak to electric, just like how XY dual types only have the weakness/resistance profile of their primary type. It also has a retreat cost that's similar to other Pokémon of its size, mainly Urshifu. Its numbers are tweaked around other HGSSA numbers.

On the flavor side, I took the Sugi-style artwork I made for it and made a card artwork similar to how such renders are treated in the TCG. I made this art a little more than 2 years ago, but I do think it holds up quite well despite some weird anatomy. The photo I used behind is under creative commons 2.0 and is as such credited on the card under Jan Tik, its photographer. I ended up editing it quite a bit, and decided to add some crystalization on top to make it a bit more artsy. For the frame, I used Bliui's blanks and font guide that are available on DA. These don't seem to have any watermarks but I still wanted to mention here where they came from. Theyre not the most accurate/high res ones, but I have yet to buy asche's ones, and I thought that for this little contest this would be enough. I originally wanted to make the dual type frame look exactly as the XY ones with the solid demarcation, but after playing with the blur tool a little, I thought that this more gradual mixing looked more interesting.

Overall, this was pretty fun to make, and now I have the set up done for any future HGSS dual-types! I hope you'll like this card as much as I do.

Here's my submission!!
dhwom8v-be5f9b34-59c9-46b8-8e01-dd23111e9f9b.png

Let's run the card a little bit!

Griztrom is the water starter from my personal fake region, the Belzet region (which you can find on instagram right here: https://www.instagram.com/belzet_region_fakedex/. It has access to a new ability, Weak Spotter, which makes its super effective attacks deal some more damage (just like Neuroforce, Ultra-Necrozma's ability), and so that's what I wanted to focus on with this submission.

Not only is Wise Observation, its Poké-Body, a reference to this, but it also has a lot of synergy with this card's gimmick: a dual typing. I got this idea from the contest prompt, since being limited to one typing made me wonder how could I circumvent that. Dual-typed Pokémon can hit twice as many Pokémon for weakness, and combined with a x3 modifier, this makes for a deadly combo. This allows for its move, Cymbal Paws, to be very threatening despite its relatively tame damage for HGSS standard. Of course, Wise Observation doesn't specify that Griztrom has to be in the active spot to be on. On the bench, Griztrom becomes a powerful yet situational support Pokémon that can really help to clutch some matchups. On the flipside, being a stage 2, it requires a lot of investment, making it far from broken.

On a separate note, Cymbal Paws has a fun side-effect, which can't be triggered reliably but will always be welcome when it happens. I also thought that having the move be able to deal two types of status conditions was a nice nod to the dual type gimmick.

It's only weak to electric, just like how XY dual types only have the weakness/resistance profile of their primary type. It also has a retreat cost that's similar to other Pokémon of its size, mainly Urshifu. Its numbers are tweaked around other HGSSA numbers.

On the flavor side, I took the Sugi-style artwork I made for it and made a card artwork similar to how such renders are treated in the TCG. I made this art a little more than 2 years ago, but I do think it holds up quite well despite some weird anatomy. The photo I used behind is under creative commons 2.0 and is as such credited on the card under Jan Tik, its photographer. I ended up editing it quite a bit, and decided to add some crystalization on top to make it a bit more artsy. For the frame, I used Bliui's blanks and font guide that are available on DA. These don't seem to have any watermarks but I still wanted to mention here where they came from. Theyre not the most accurate/high res ones, but I have yet to buy asche's ones, and I thought that for this little contest this would be enough. I originally wanted to make the dual type frame look exactly as the XY ones with the solid demarcation, but after playing with the blur tool a little, I thought that this more gradual mixing looked more interesting.

Overall, this was pretty fun to make, and now I have the set up done for any future HGSS dual-types! I hope you'll like this card as much as I do.
Pokémon players in 2010: "Surely we'll never need to do 210 damage! I mean, if you're hitting a Pokémon with 150 or 160 HP for weakness, the x3 modifier is relevant, but still..."
*2012 intensifies*
(Sadly this card probably wouldn't be good in 2012 regardless, but we can at least dream.)
On the bright side, if you get this stage 2 into play in 2012, you will be rewarded by not relying on PlusPower to win the Mewtwo Wars, and Tyrogue would Knock Out Smeargle in a single hit.

Also, could you publish that blur effect as a mask in a PSD file so people could use it with other templates? I like the way it looks.

moving this here from the discord! if you're lookin' at this from the forum and not the custom card community discord, hop in! most of the submissions are over there, and they're way cooler than mine, lol

mantine.png

flash cac raaagh! decided to use the opportunity to actually make one of those ex cards i spend so much time thinking about. this is mantine! it fits pretty well into the family of cards that mess with react energy. (like plasma energy, react energy only provides a single [C] on its own but other cards interact with it in fun ways!) it's intended to be used, though, with the huntail and gorebyss deck. the deck uses huntail LM's reactive generator to accelerate react energy into play, gorebyss LM's reactive booster to make all of them that are attached to your clamperl family provide two of any energy instead, and gorebyss HL's mystic water attack, which does more damage for each psychic energy attacked to your pokemon. each react energy can be monumental, solely fueling an attack or making it 20 damage stronger.

you can only run 4 react energy in your deck, and the attackers aren't exactly bulky, so mantine aims to be a way to recycle that energy and then put it back onto your clamperl evolvers! it provides a pretty solid damaging attack with sky-high splashdown and then lets switch into an attacker next turn for free.

mantine is also a basic, so it doesn't use up much space (which is great for this deck, which is used to only having to run one basic and 2 evolutions) and can be searched out using holon mentor or celio's network or gotten back with pokemon retriever so it only needs to be run as a 1- or 2-of. it also skirts around a lot of power-negators, like girafarig (hopefully), battle frontier, and solrock

i don't think this card would break the deck or make it super meta, but it'd be a nice way to help the deck be a little better and make it a little more fun to play. i've never made an ex-era card before, so i'm proud of my first attempt! please lemme know if you notice a wording or image mess-up, even if it isn't graded like a normal CaC!

Last edited:
Submissions are now closed! Thanks to everyone that submitted. Stay tuned for the fan-voting poll, which should be posted soon.

Pokémon players in 2010: "Surely we'll never need to do 210 damage! I mean, if you're hitting a Pokémon with 150 or 160 HP for weakness, the x3 modifier is relevant, but still..."
*2012 intensifies*
(Sadly this card probably wouldn't be good in 2012 regardless, but we can at least dream.)
On the bright side, if you get this stage 2 into play in 2012, you will be rewarded by not relying on PlusPower to win the Mewtwo Wars, and Tyrogue would Knock Out Smeargle in a single hit.

Also, could you publish that blur effect as a mask in a PSD file so people could use it with other templates? I like the way it looks.

Here it is as a png!! Just slap it on top of the rightmost type frame and your good to go!
dual_type_mask.png

Back