Discussion Bandit Ring's Lugia-EX

TheWhiskaz_

Friendly Neighborhood Hunter
So yeah, so we know of three EXs that'll be in Bandit Ring/Ancient Origins, and it was the Lugia-EX that caught my eye:

Lugia-EX – Colorless – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Aero Ball: 20x damage. Does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to this Pokemon and the Defending Pokemon.

[C][C][C][C] Deep Hurricane: 80+ damage. If there is a Stadium card in play, this attack does 70 more damage and discard that Stadium card.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1

The second attack was not what interested me, although it is slightly faster, albeit weaker by 20 without and 50 with a Stadium, than Primal Groudon-EX's Gaia Volcano. The first attack however, is one we've seen already on Mewtwo-EX with X Ball, and Mewtwo-EX has seen tons and tons of play since its release. And this new Lugia-EX has just one retreat cost, although it can't hit for weakness. So could Lugia-EX see some play in at least the Standard format, or will most players stick to their Mewtw-EXs for now?

I think most importantly that Lugia-EX suggests Mewtwo-EX being rotated out. So in the next format, it is quite likely that Lugia-EX will be played. I personally think ftm Mewtwo would be better as it hits other Mewtwos, and Lugia does get hit by electric, which could rise in power. The fighting resistance could be decent though, especially if fighting rises to hit the prediction of electric rising (to counter flying).

^ Agreed, also Lugia can be put in Mega Manectric variants for its 2nd attack, to counter Rayquaza/Ninetails combos. They get the stadium/Ninetails set up, you demolish the Skyfield and they're locked out of stadiums as long as Ninetails remains in play.

I guess it could be put in most decks, but I thought of MegaMan because of the acceleration. 4 energy is not cheap.

^ Agreed, also Lugia can be put in Mega Manectric variants for its 2nd attack, to counter Rayquaza/Ninetails combos. They get the stadium/Ninetails set up, you demolish the Skyfield and they're locked out of stadiums as long as Ninetails remains in play.

I guess it could be put in most decks, but I thought of MegaMan because of the acceleration. 4 energy is not cheap.
Considering that Lugia-EX's first attack actually needs energy to damage, 4 energy on Lugia will probably be common. You can even achieve that with two attachments - 2 DCE - if lucky.

I can see Lugia EX sprouting up mostly in MegaMan decks to counter fighting decks especially since Hwalucha will still be a huge threat in XY-On to MegaMan.
I'm also sure Lugia will replace Mewtwo in Wobbabats (Wobbefett/Bats), and Siesmotoad/Bats

I can't believe this. First Mewtwo, then they had to bring in Yveltal EX, practically the same thing. And then there's this Lugia EX. Pokémon must really want this type of attack to stay in the format. I'm not downgrading the card. I personally like it and I will finally have chance to get a "Mewtwo" card I can actually play.

I'm kind of sick of seeing X Ball attacks; however, I will say that it's a good thing that Lugia-EX is Colorless, essentially disabling cheap OHKOs due to weakness.

I just hope there isn't another Mewtwo war. The format today is too diverse for that, but there is a chance. I bet you there will be some deck that revolves around Lugia EX. It will have to happen sooner or later.

I like this card. It well get played and is very easy to splash into any deck because of the colorless requirements. This card also leads me to believe that Legendary Treasures being rotated.

I just hope there isn't another Mewtwo war. The format today is too diverse for that, but there is a chance. I bet you there will be some deck that revolves around Lugia EX. It will have to happen sooner or later.
Since "Energy Acceleration" isn't as big as it was back then it probably isn't gonna be Mewtwo status. But it'll probably be used as a tech in certain decks

Card is really balanced.
I appreciate this card a lot, mainly because of the weakness not being the same type.
splashable, and can be used to counter lock decks (DCE and you can hit toad for 80? 100? dank)

Mewtwo wars happened because Mewtwo was weak to itself; DCE + Muscle Band against Mewtwo@DCE was enough to OHKO. Since Lugia isn't weak to Colorless, you can't just drop one and OHKO your opponent's Lugia.

Back