DPPt/HGSS Battle Tower at HGSS

Johnny Phantom

The box sign boy!
Hello people!
Well, this Battle Tower is really making me mad. I'm aiming the 100 victories to upgrade my trainer card, but I stuck at the 40ies, 50ies (I only reached the 70ies twice) due hax. A lot of critical hits, flinching and a devil Rhydon (who landed 4 Horn Drill consecutively), block me from my objective.
So, I wanna some tips and recommendations from you all, to reach the victory #100
P.S.: My current team

Uxie@Choice Scarf
Trick
Thunder Wave
Memento
Reflect
Nature: Careful

Drapion@Black Sludge
Acupressure
Substitute
Rest
Crunch
Nature: Careful

Registeel@Leftovers
Curse
Amnesia
Substitute
Iron Head
Nature: Impish

All are Ev'd (I'm not remembering now... when I remember I edit the post).

Thanks for the attention!

Xous

Disappear to a place beyond seeing...
What's the normal game plan for your team? They seem to be more defensive than offensive, so what do you normally do to ensure you've got a good chance at winning the match?

The team I used in Diamond to reach Battle #100 (I believe we got knocked out at 107 after that) was:

Latios @ Soul Dew (Before I knew it had no effect in Battle Tower. So I was effectively using a Latios with no hold item. I would suggest Yache Berry or something, because Ice Types kept wanting to kill me as I had no Super Effective moves against most of them.)
Timid (+Speed, -Atk); 4 HP, 252 Sp.Atk / Speed
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt (I used to have Calm Mind here, but Thunderbolt was more useful, especially against Starmie and other Water-Types.)

Infernape @Focus Sash
Hasty (+Speed, -Def); 4 HP, 252 Atk / Speed (Jolly would be best, but Hasty was all I had.)
-Flare Blitz (While unfortunately counter-effective to Sash, I still used it.)
-Stone Edge
-Shadow Claw
-Close Combat

Suicune @Leftovers
Calm (-Atk, +Sp.Def); I forgot the EV spread. I know it had 252 HP, but I can't remember how I split the rest.
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Calm Mind
-Substitute

This is how most of my battles went down: Latios normally K.O.ed one or two foes, if not the whole team. Very rarely would it be killed without killing something itself, but if it did, Infernape could normally clean up.

Infernape was mostly for clean-up or if I needed to kill something so I could set up Suicune, but it did sometimes act as a major source of K.O.s. The only real issues I had with Infernape were Stone Edge misses (often came in twos or threes) and Flare Blitz killing myself as well as the opponent. Whatever Latios and Infernape couldn't kill, Suicune could normally set up on.

Suicune's whole job was basically just to come in on something it could set up on, then sit behind a sub until it was +6 and back in green, then it could sweep. Many times I would face something at the start of the match that I knew Suicune could set up on, and I would immediately switch to it and set up just so I knew I had the match. Once Suicune was behind a Sub and Calm Minded up, I pretty much had that battle. There was one exception, however. Around the 70s or 80s, the opponents started using Double Teaming Pressure Pokémon like the Legendary Birds and Beasts. I nearly lost a match against a Double Teaming Raikou - it came down to my Suicune stalling against it. It constantly broke my subs because of its STAB Super Effective Thunderbolts, and my moves kept missing because of its +6 Evasion. Eventually I was able to land the much-needed hit after it nearly Pressured out all of my attacks.

The biggest problem I faced in the Tower (hax aside) would be the Pressure Double Teaming Legendaries that appear more and more often as you get past 70/80. I never had a problem with flinching because most of my Pokémon outsped their foes - your team seems to be a lot of stall / tanks / whatever, so is their Speed the issue?

Oh, and there was only one time I faced a Shedinja, but thankfully my Infernape was still alive to take it out.

Guts

CyberPhunk
As for tips, Battle tower is always about offense. Running a super defensive team really never works for me, anyways. But I'm sure what you do works fine, but you should give us a little
You know, I would probably use Latias with T-bolt too, because I run into Gyarados all the time. I usually run this, if you're interested, although I have no idea what it capped at:

Skarmory@Shed Shell
Impish Nature
EV's: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Sturdy (Couldn't help it)
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Roost
Brave Bird
Whirlwind

Raikou@Leftovers
Timid Nature
EV's: 68 HP / 116 SpA / 72 SpD / 252 Spe
Pressure Ability
Moves:
Calm Mind
Hidden Power Grass
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Salamence@Life Orb
Naive Nature
EV's: 16 HP / 40 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Intimidate Ability
Moves:
Brick Break
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Earthquake

Just a personal team that I liked and felt that accomplished my goals, I didn't have much of a strategy. I'd love to help you if you could give some more of the specific problems you face in the Tower, or some other problem Pokemon.

Johnny Phantom

The box sign boy!
@Xous
Well, it focused in a slow-very slow build up, "sponsored" by Uxie's Trick. If I lock into a low PP move I sent out Registeel, but if I lock into Double Team, or any other non-hitting move that has a good PP amount, I sent out Drapion (and if there's a move that anyone resists, I avaliate and sent out one of my sweepers).

Drapion came back to my team, in Dragonite's place, due the Critical hits. It is a really pain getting two Critical hits and faint, by Gyarados' Waterfall and with Reflect on the field. So, Battle Armor helps me a lot.

I have a Suicune (Bolded nature, for instance), planned to be a Sub CMinder, but it has 1 Sp.Atk IV (don't remember if it is really 1, but it's not more than 10). Sad...

Well, seeing this Infernape, I realize that I need a killer on my team (I use a similar one on my 1-21 streak team), but it is so frail. I can test it after the 21th battle.

Ending here, one thing that I've concluded at Battle Tower (including the ridiculous hax) is: if you are weaken to a very few types, you can succeed. Difficultly (is that a word?), but not impossibly, an AI moveset can cover Uxie's, Swampert's and Kingdra's weaknesses. It can tell nothing, but to me, it is the hope that I need to aim the 100th victory.

@ShadowLugia
Interesting on your team (and Xous' too) that is all offensive, with no Substitutes (at least your Raikou has CM and no sub behind).
I planned to use it (Raikou), but my current team have Ground weakness and my Raikou is bad natured (let's see if the shiny from Wi-Fi can be better!).

I was seeing at smogon (I picked up the team ideas from there), and they said that TrickScarf is the best way to go at Battle Tower. Yeah, it works, but (if I'm not using Drapion) happens that I lock to a move that lands a lot of critical hits consecutively (due the ridiculous hax), and that drives me crazy. Not mentioning that Roar ruined me twice. Imagine an Acupressure setup, with +6 at all stats (including evasion and accuracy), that was very slow, being destroyed by a simple Roar... Harsh. I almost cried when it happened, and when I lost this same battle, the feeling was "what I have to do now? i've tried almost everything!"

Maybe I need more speed to this(or another one that would come) team. But I need Defenses too.

Thanks you guys! More tips needed!

Guts

CyberPhunk
The Shiny Raikou is Rash, so, yeah. :p
I've honestly never tried TrickScarf at the Battle Tower; most everybody has leftovers nowadays, so maybe you could put that to your advantage. Speeding up your team and adding a little offense should do the trick, in a broad range of things. I really wish I could give you more help, but I find the Battle Tower incredibly boring.

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
In my Platinum, I managed to get to battle 128 before being knocked out. This was the team I used to make it all the way there.

Togekiss w/ Kings Rock
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Ominous Wind
Extrasensory

Lucario w/ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Blaze Kick
Thunderpunch

Armaldo w/ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP, 252 Attack, 204 Speed
Protect
Stone Edge
Earthquake
X-Scissor

Togekiss was my main member. It was knocked out maybe in 10/128 battles. Air Slash/Extrasensory with Serene Grace and a King's Rock made Togekiss have a 70% chance of making the opponent flinch. Aura Sphere was for those tough Steel types that could withstand my Flinch-attacks. Ominous Wind isn't all that powerful, but with Serene Grace there is a 40% chance of all stats increasing.

Lucario was the backup. It had low defenses, but its attacks allowed for a wide variety of types it could take down. For enemy Togekiss like mine, Lucario had Inner Focus, making it immune to flinching. Stone Edge was for Fire and Flying types, even better against Charizard and Moltres. Blaze Kick was for those steel type Togekiss couldn't handle, like Metagross. Close Combat hits hard, and Thunderpunch took down the Flying types, and the Water types that would pose a threat to Armaldo.

Armaldo was the slow, heavy-hitter. It's defense was high, but one Surf or Hydro Pump and it would be finished (that's actually how I lost). Protect was to stall for time and lower the enemy PP. Stone Edge and Earthquake are strong, and they were used to take out the Flying and Electric types. X-Scissor is not only strong, but being a Bug-type attack, Psychic and Dark types stand no chance. I'm still not entirely sure why I used Armaldo, though.

S

steevihn

Ewwww, Legendaries are for n00bs.

MY TEAM <33 It got me all the way to 100 wins. :D (However, a few of my wins were based exclusively on luck.)

Octillery holding a Shell Bell
-Signal Beam
-Gunk Shot
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Houndoom holding leftovers
-Overheat
-Flamethrower
-Thunder Fang
-Dark Pulse

Torterra holding a Quick Claw
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Giga Drain
-Leaf Storm

They're so amazing. c; I love them.

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
^I agree with legends are n00bs. When the challengers sent out Zapdos and Latios I was like NOOOOOOB!!!! And then I knocked 'em out :p

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Ewwww, Legendaries are for n00bs.
There is nothing wrong with using legendaries in your own team to win. You must do everything in your power to maintain your streak. After all, this is the hax tower, where you'll run into someone that has Palmer's gold team, -Heatran +Moltres. (And that's who killed my 63-streak.)

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Don't get me wrong, I use legendaries too, but the team I listed before made me go the farthest I've ever gone. 128 win streak, before being taken down by a Suicune...

DNA

Advanced Member
I'm just saying to use the team that ends up working the best for you, and if it involves a legendary or two, then go for it.
My team I believe has either 0 or 1 legendaries on it. I don't remember; it's been a while...

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
I did a Battle Tower of only legendaries once. I think it was Latios, Heatran, and Zapdos. Palmer pwned my Heatran with Ryperior, Milotic pwned Latios, and Zapdos was knocked out due to the shock of Latios and Heatran being knocked out (I'm serious I remember playing and all of a sudden Zapdos got KOed. I think Ryperior used Horn Drill and I missed it...)

Johnny Phantom

The box sign boy!
I agree with DNA. I think I really didn't get the 100 wins streak, half because some inexperience, half because hax.
This video is proof that hax can be really a pain (even with legendaries): 77-63332-96276 .
It's incredible how AI is fairly overpowered. When I set up my Acupressure Drapion, they landed me 2 Dragon Rushes (even with +6 evasiveness). Anyway, I took a brake from Battle Tower. I was thinking to learn the RNG thing to get good pokemon to "strike back" the Battle Tower.

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
^you spelled break wrong (you spelled brake, as in bike brake; lol i'm a grammar nazi)

anyway, what is the RNG thing you want to learn?

Johnny Phantom

The box sign boy!
Oh, I'm sorry for the grammar. I will read more things in english to improve myself. :D
The Random Number Generator (A.K.A. RNG) consists in a method of obtain desired IV, nature, ability and even shinyness, picking up some data from your game (like your Trainer ID, Secret Trainer ID), and then, putting it in a pc program (called RNG reporter) to do the process. Have a lot of videos on YouTube showing that method.
I wanna learn this method to pick up good IV pokemon. I like to breed (and I do this a lot), but sometimes, it became boring. I just can pick up to 3 max IV breeding, but I know that if I have more good IV (not exactly 31 IVs) I would succeed at Battle Tower and get more experience at standard wi-fi battles (that we know which 31 IVd pokemon is very common).
One more thing, I loved that Togekiss! I have a Para-Flinch one, and I will try to equip the King's Rock and see what I get.

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
^my Togekiss is Timid, so it is very fast and almost always strikes first to get the flinch, Air Slash/Extrasensory has a 30% chance of flinch with Serene Grace having another 30%, and King's Rock adds another 10%, totaling to 70% chance of flinch

DNA

Advanced Member
@Johnny Phantom: Smogon has the best explanation on how to do RNG - the only requirement is you need a shiny Pokemon non-chained in the game you wish to RNG in, or 5 (?) chained shinies (i.e. from the Poke Radar), again, all caught in the game you want to RNG in. Link here.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/

Blue Thunder

so long!
my record streak in the battle tower is 134. i could have gotten it higher if i hadn't decided to take a risk against a thunderpunch ambipom, much against my better judgment. it all went downhill from there, and i ended up losing. =( sigh...

anyway, i'll give the basics of the team here for now. if anyone wants, i can post a more in-depth strategy and more detailed information about the members of the team.

starmie @ expert belt

- surf
- t-bolt
- psychic
- ice beam

tyranitar @ lum berry

- dragon dance
- rock slide
- earthquake
- crunch

garchomp @ choice scarf

- outrage
- earthquake
- fire fang
- crunch/aerial ace (i can't remember which...all i know is that it was pretty much filler)

neophenx

Pokemon Mentor
I'm still trying to get past the 50 mark, but one of my biggest helps is the Destiny Bond Gengar.
Timid nature (+speed -attack)
hold item: Focus Sash
EVs: max speed, max special attack. If you want to do a 252/252/4, that's up to you, but I saw little point to adding one point to any HP or defense stats, since this Gengar is built to hit and survive those one-shot kills.
Attacks: Shadow Ball (STAB) and Destiny Bond (after Focus Sash breaks)
The other two attacks depend on your preference in attacks to hit for as many weaknesses as possible. As long as this Gengar is your lead or second, you could probably take most teams down to 1 before you even lose the Gengar.

Also, I was unaware that the lati's Soul Dew was useless in the Battle Tower. What a bummer.

Adamek

Sandstorm team's 4ever
Team 4 Battle Tower

What do you thin about this team for BT?

Ursaring@Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Nature: Jolly (+Spe,-Sp.Atk)
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Moves:
Swords Dance
Facade
Crunch
Close Combat

This is simple - When ursaring is poisoned, his ability will activate and his speed will increase by 50%. Facade is STAB move and gets double power when statused (in that case poisoned). Swords Dance boost its already huge atack, and crunch is reliable, good and powerful move that hits ghost-types, and close combat is for rock and steel-types. Jolly is good for more speed and EVs are for max atack, speed and some HP add;)

Garchomp@Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly (+Spe,-Sp.Atk)
EV's: 252 Atk/4 HP/252 Spe
Moves:
Swords Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang

This Garchomp is similar to Ursaring - nature and EV's for max speed and physical power, Swords Dance for more power and item for restoring Garchomp from confusion after Outrage. Outrage and Earthquake are 2 powerful STAB atacks that do massive damage to any pokemon that not rsist or its immune to it. Only levitating bronzong and skarmory resist this combo - fire fang is for dealing with them. After Swords Dance its powerful and can burn or flinch opponent.

Gengar@Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Atk,-Atk)
EV's: 252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Moves:
Shadow Ball
Counter
Thunderbolt
Destiny Bond

Classic BT Gengar - Nature and EV;s for max special power and speed, Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt for sweep, counter when you now that you will survive and KO the opponent at once, and Destiny Bond for take one of opponents Pokemon with you. Focus Sash is neccesarry for survive and use Counter or Destiny Bond.