• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Bigger Basics (Cobalion, Mewtwo, Tornadus, Bouffalant, and Ho Oh)

Wrynku

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon 8
  • 2 Cobalion EX
  • 2 Mewtwo EX
  • 2 Bouffalant DRX
  • 1 Tornadus EX DEX
  • 1 Ho-Oh EX
Trainers 39
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Bianca
  • 1 Colress
  • 4 Pokemon Catcher
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Exp. Share
  • 3 Switch
  • 2 Eviolite
  • 2 Max Potion
  • 1 Energy Search
  • 1 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Scramble Switch
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy 13
  • 4 Double Colorless
  • 4 Metal
  • 1 Fighting
  • 1 Lightning
  • 1 Darkness
  • 1 Grass
  • 1 Water

Strategy
Basic idea is that it's a Big Basics deck that counters the 3 most popular decks next format - Genesect/Virizion, Plasma, and Blastoise. In playtests this did very well against both Virizion/Genesect and Blastoise and broke even against Plasma.

Is Tornadus really needed in the deck? I felt as though he was kind of lackluster unless I started with him + virbank + lasers.

Bouffalant is really nice in this deck, winning a number of matches for me. I'm thinking of lowering the EXP Share count by 1 and adding 1-2 Silver Mirror to make him more tanky.

Thanks for any helpful comments!

I reformatted your deck list to meet the standards. Please format it this way in the future.

A concern I have with your deck is you getting metal energy for your Cobalion EX when you need it. I really would stay away from Ho-Oh in this deck because Ho-Oh functions better when the deck is based around it. I would replace it with either another Cobalion EX or a Shaymin. The Shaymin will help you fill your bench so you won't get defeated from having no bench. You could remove Energy Search to add both.

By removing the Ho-Oh EX, it will also let your energy line be more focused. You can change all the other energies you had to metal, keeping the DCE.

-1 Ho-Oh EX
-1 Fighting
-1 Lightning
-1 Darkness
-1 Grass
-1 Water
-1 Energy Search

+1 Shaymin
+1 Cobalion EX
+5 Metal Energy

^ that and Ho-Oh ex is terrible in the next format without Energy Switch, and even if it had it, it's a gamble of a play.

I agree and dis-agree with ho-oh being in there. It counters genesect, but it has too big of an energy requirement. What I would do:

-1 Ho-oh
-1 Fighting
-1 Lightning
-1 Darkness
-1 Grass
-1 Water
-1 energy search
-3 exp share
+1 Entei EX
+4 Blend FPGD
+2 Float Stone
+2 Silver Bangle
+1 Tool Scrapper

Entei is a great choice for the genesect match up, you one shot genesect and virizion. You replace all those basic energy with 4 blend to use as normal energy or for entei. You could even split it 2 Fire 2 Blend, because of hammers. But the colorless type attackers can use the blends, but entei does not discard them, and you can scramble into mewtwo, boufelant, or tornadus. And as a bonus you can burn them. The bangle is great on bouf. use laser and virbank with the bangle you do 180 damage to exs Which will usually knock out any ex.

Back