Brand New TCG Player: What deck to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potatocas

Aspiring Trainer
I'm brand new to the TCG and I'm trying to construct a deck that will be competitive at high level regional tourneys. What are some possible routes in creating top notch decks without breaking the bank (I was piecing together a ZPS deck and I stopped after the costs broke $150). Maybe I've got no other options but I wanted to ask. Do you have any ideas?

Pcas

This belongs more in the TCG Discussion Forum.

*Moved*

dmaster out.

If your looking for a cheap deck, I think reshiphlosion is your best bet. There are loads of great lists everywhere.

Hope I helped: )

Actually I wanted to try a deck that will be relevant longer than the Reshiphlosion. I'm trying something like this but i'm just shooting in the dark...

4x Minccino
4x Cinccino
3x Zorua
3x Zoroark
2x Tornadus
16 Pokemon

4x Double Colorless Energy
4x Special Darkness Energy
4x Rescue Energy
12 Energy

4x Professor Oak's New Theory
3x Pokemon Collector
3x Prof. Juniper
3x Pokemon Catcher
2x Switch
3x Plus Power
3x Copycat
3x Junk Arm
8x Whatever

Potatocas said:
Actually I wanted to try a deck that will be relevant longer than the Reshiphlosion. I'm trying something like this but i'm just shooting in the dark...

4x Minccino
4x Cinccino
3x Zorua
3x Zoroark
2x Tornadus
16 Pokemon

4x Double Colorless Energy
4x Special Darkness Energy
4x Rescue Energy
12 Energy

4x Professor Oak's New Theory
3x Pokemon Collector
3x Prof. Juniper
3x Pokemon Catcher
2x Switch
3x Plus Power
3x Copycat
3x Junk Arm
8x Whatever

This is a pretty good decklist but some things should be looked at. Max out your collectors to 4 and add in 3 communications. This will get you those pokemon you need T1 and T2. Juniper doesn't help this deck so take that out. Max out your junk arm to 4 as well. I would add cleffa in here as well becuase you don't have a real good starter in this deck. Also try to max out catcher as it will help you a lot. Considering you are a beginner this is a solid decklist with only minor changes and tweaks needed.

Summary:
-3 Juniper

+1 Collector
+3 Communication
+1 Junk Arm
+1 Cleffa
+1 Catcher
This leaves 4 spots for you to figure out what you prefer to play. Good luck and I hope this helps

actually donchamp is a pretty good deck to run if your looking for sub par. if u really want a good deck and you dont feel like being cheap about it i reccomend mayne mewgar or megazone.
heres a pretty simple deck list for mewgar

4x mew
4x gengar
2x haunter
3x gastly
2x mr mime
3x mime jr.
2x jirachi

2x twins
2x junk arm
3x pokemon collector
3x professor oaks new theory
3x revive
2x professor elms training method
2x seeker
3x copycat
4x lost world
3x rare candy
3x energy retrieval
and 10x psychic

ninetailfox30 said:
actually donchamp is a pretty good deck to run if your looking for sub par. if u really want a good deck and you don't feel like being cheap about it i reccomend mayne mewgar or megazone.
Mewgar and Megazone are not cheap decks to build.

I would recommend Reshiphlosion, Volbeat/Illumise(If you don't mind being really cheap) or Reshiboar. You can get a lot of promos cheap.

bigbija said:
This is a pretty good decklist but some things should be looked at. Max out your collectors to 4 and add in 3 communications. This will get you those pokemon you need T1 and T2. Juniper doesn't help this deck so take that out. Max out your junk arm to 4 as well. I would add cleffa in here as well becuase you don't have a real good starter in this deck. Also try to max out catcher as it will help you a lot. Considering you are a beginner this is a solid decklist with only minor changes and tweaks needed.

Summary:
-3 Juniper

+1 Collector
+3 Communication
+1 Junk Arm
+1 Cleffa
+1 Catcher
This leaves 4 spots for you to figure out what you prefer to play. Good luck and I hope this helps

If you want to use a deck like this, I'd rather not use 4 rescue energies.

Maybe put 1 or 2 Flower Shop Lady, max out Pokemon Communication and use dual balls instead of Pokémon Collectors (letting you play supporters that could refresh your hand this way)

Hazz said:
Mewgar and Megazone are not cheap decks to build.

ninetailfox30 said:
if u really want a good deck and you don't feel like being cheap about it i reccomend mayne mewgar or megazone.

Anyways, the best, cheap deck right now is easily Reshiphlosion. Non-full art Reshirams are usually around $5 (before shipping) and Typhlosion Prime is only around 6$. These two are essentially the deck's main Pokemon, and getting four of each is only $44. The rest of the cards aren't very expensive either (probably the next most expensive is Ninetales from HS/CL, and you only need no more than two of them), and since it looks like you don't want to pass $150, Reshiphlosion is your best bet.

Gliscor said:
Anyways, the best, cheap deck right now is easily Reshiphlosion. Non-full art Reshirams are usually around $5 (before shipping) and Typhlosion Prime is only around 6$. These two are essentially the deck's main Pokemon, and getting four of each is only $44. The rest of the cards aren't very expensive either (probably the next most expensive is Ninetales from HS/CL, and you only need no more than two of them), and since it looks like you don't want to pass $150, Reshiphlosion is your best bet.

Don't forget you need candies and collectors. Which candies are $8 each and collector (ex trainer kit ones) are $6. So that adds up to like an additional $48 dollars with three candies and four collectors.

I don't know where you are finding rare Candies for 8 dollars, troll and toad has them for 5 dollars, which means 4 collectors and 3 candies come to 35 dollars. Also, you don't have to buy 4 Typhlosions, 3 will do, and the promo ones are cheaper, so tis definately doable to make a good Reshiphlosion for less than $75. Its also one of if not the best deck in the format, I have no clue why you'd pay double the amount for Mewgar or something, a far inferior deck.

Dark Void said:
I don't know where you are finding rare Candies for 8 dollars, troll and toad has them for 5 dollars, which means 4 collectors and 3 candies come to 35 dollars. Also, you don't have to buy 4 Typhlosions, 3 will do, and the promo ones are cheaper, so tis definately doable to make a good Reshiphlosion for less than $75. Its also one of if not the best deck in the format, I have no clue why you'd pay double the amount for Mewgar or something, a far inferior deck.

Wow... I fail. I apologize for that. I was thinking of an older price.. Yes, candies are $5-$6. Reshiphlosion is still one of the cheaper Top played decks. Followed by maybe Gothitelle?

im making this deck tell me what you the please respond

Name ( idk yet)

POKEMON: 20
Blastoise, UL-13 (3-1-3)
Feraligatr (Prime), (2-1-2)
3x Druddigon
3x Kyurem
2x Cleffa

TRAINERS: 26
2x Energy Retrieval, BW-92
3x Pokemon Communication, BW-99
2x Pokemon Catcher, EP-95