Bringing Up Rules Skips

pvtGramps

Pokemon Trainer/MMA Fighter
In starting to play in tournaments again recently, I've noticed that there are a lot of players in the tournament locally that skip rules. The two most skipped are the following:

1. No T/S/S for the player who goes first. This is usually skipped when it directly benefits a deck and they are playing a newer player (like myself). I've been Uxie donked on the first turn and didn't realize that they can't do that until well after the game.

2. Regimove not giving the switch effect in Gyarados decks. I realize this is a help in their direction, but brings up the benefit of using this switch offensively if you bench a Spiritomb or Mr. Mime to stop their attacks, or something else that could prevent the combo from firing.

What is the best way to bring this up? I'm worried about it only because I'm a fairly new player to the scene in this area and don't want to get "Rules Lawyer" attached to me.

Cheating is a serious problem. Especially when it effects the ultimate outcome of the game. Because of this, reporting an error made by the other player will not label you with any bad term, and can only boost your popularity. Why would you want cheaters to like you anyway? :p

I would tell a judge immediately if your opponent has done something wrong. Even if it's after the game, they can still issue them a caution or a warning. It would be extremely wise to bring this to someone's attention if it is causing you to lose games.

pvtGramps said:
In starting to play in tournaments again recently, I've noticed that there are a lot of players in the tournament locally that skip rules. The two most skipped are the following:

1. No T/S/S for the player who goes first. This is usually skipped when it directly benefits a deck and they are playing a newer player (like myself). I've been Uxie donked on the first turn and didn't realize that they can't do that until well after the game.

2. Regimove not giving the switch effect in Gyarados decks. I realize this is a help in their direction, but brings up the benefit of using this switch offensively if you bench a Spiritomb or Mr. Mime to stop their attacks, or something else that could prevent the combo from firing.

What is the best way to bring this up? I'm worried about it only because I'm a fairly new player to the scene in this area and don't want to get "Rules Lawyer" attached to me.

On number 2, I'm pretty sure they don't have to use the switch effect in order to use the power.

Yeah, the discard is part of the cost.

As far as to why I want cheaters to like me, it's easier to trade off of them if they don't have this "Crud, that's that jerk that keeps calling rules" bit on them.

I usually point it out to less experienced players at league. I ave seen some of the weirdest misplays happen, but I don't see what more we are to do. At league, all you do is point it out to the person making the mistake. At a tournament, you are to report it. There can't be a judge at every battle, so sometimes those kind of things just happen. (Mainly in juniors)

Wait, I'm confused due to your wording of the Regimove thing. Are you saying they discard while you dont have a basic in front? Because that is completely allowed.

No, I'll have the basic in front and evolved (And ready) pokemon on my bench normally. This is usually what causes the skip.

pvtGramps said:
No, I'll have the basic in front and evolved (And ready) pokemon on my bench normally. This is usually what causes the skip.

I'm not seeing what you mean here. You have a Basic in the active position. They discard 2 cards to use Regimove, and make you switch.

This is how the card is worded to work. What is the problem>

There is a thing called SOTG. (Spirit Of The Game)
Seems like People are forgetting it. But I know people who are a good example of it. It isn't all about trades. If you need cards, ask your league leader or friends.
You'd be amazed how helpful and kind they are.

Yeah you have to be careful some people are rather rude and way too competitive and will try to cheat. I'm not sure if it was an error or if he tried to get away with cheating but my opponent at a spring BR once tried to play 2 supporters in one turn(with no special effect like Porygon2 or anything) but I stopped him and told him he already played a supporter. But some people are just complete tattle-tales about things not even involving the game so they get an easy win, which can be even more annoying. At another BR my phone rang in the middle of the match and when I tried to turn it off my competitive opponent called for the judge immediately who told me "no electronics" when that rule was never even brought to my attention anywhere or anytime, and he let me off with a warning... I wasn't happy with that guy (judge wasn't so nice either, they were obviously friends)... But reporting a rule-breaking would not make you a snitch or tattle-tale at all in most people's books, including mine.

Snitch or Tattle-tale? You broke a rule. You didn't know it, so you got a warning. You NEED to know that rule, and obey it. If you're suggesting people shouldn't enforce the rules, you are downright wrong.

This is different from being a rules lawyer, but enforcing the rules is a necessity.

ApachePrime said:
Snitch or Tattle-tale? You broke a rule. You didn't know it, so you got a warning. You NEED to know that rule, and obey it. If you're suggesting people shouldn't enforce the rules, you are downright wrong.

This is different from being a rules lawyer, but enforcing the rules is a necessity.

Agreed. Even in a friendly game I'd at least let them know what the correct rule is, even if I let them do it anyway.

lol! i used to be like that. forgetting rules and stuff. i think t's best to let them know. say like "oh i'm sorry but you can't do that" in a polite way. sometimes it's best to just let them if they are new cuz they are trying to have fun.

Don't get me wrong I don't think people reporting rule breakings are "tattle-tales" or anything, I didn't mean it like that. But nobody ever said "no electronics" before or during the tournament and there was no list of rules posted. He didn't "kindly notify me" he reported me, obviously trying to get me an automatic loss. That's what bothered me, you gotta actually tell people the rules every time if they don't involve the actual rules of the card game before telling them off for breaking them. My opponent obviously knew the rule, but I knew he always went to that place and went to league etc. I had never been to that specific place with that organizer before, so how would I know that rule? It make sense you wouldn't be allowed to use electronics but I was only turining my phone off when it was going off, nobody said to turn off all phones or anything. I would of just told someone "You're not supposed to use electronics." I'm not saying that guyt was a snitch, but he overreacted, I'm sure he just wanted to win too badly. The point is they oughta tell you rules not involving the actual card game before they get you in trouble for them! At least I only got a warning... But honestly, I'm the last person to think of someone as a snitch for reporting a rule-breaking, I just found wrong in my situation.

cristian_flores said:
lol! i used to be like that. forgetting rules and stuff. i think t's best to let them know. say like "oh i'm sorry but you can't do that" in a polite way. sometimes it's best to just let them if they are new cuz they are trying to have fun.

Exactly, I agree. But that guy called out for the judge, obviously trying to get me in trouble. Even when someone's about to break an actual tcg rule I usually just correct them, as long as they didn't start doing anything yet that screws up the game.

ApachePrime said:

They should actually tell you the rules every time before enforicng them is my point, unless it's a rule in the actual card game and rule book that you need to know anyway.

Meaty said:
ApachePrime said:

They should actually tell you the rules every time before enforicng them is my point, unless it's a rule in the actual card game and rule book that you need to know anyway.

As a judge, I need to disagree. It is the judges job to explain the rule. A judge will word the specific rule properly, and explain any questions either player has about the rule/ruling.

I certainly think when you call a judge it needs to be polite not only to the judge, but especially to the other player. Just throwing up your hand and yelling judge is RUDE to your opponent. "Excuse me. Hang on a moment, I have a question I need a judge to answer. Can you hold on?" is the PERFECT wording. It doesn't accuse, and represents SotG at it's best.

That's what I was mainly trying to say actually. I wasn't corrected kindly, my opponent who was obviously friends with the judge just called the judge out by name and said "electronics" and he came over and told me they weren't allowed then I said "Oh sorry,I didn't know that I was just turning my phone off when I got a call." and he let me off with a warning. Which is the right thing to do, no hard feelings or anything. But my opponent could easily have just told me I wasn't supposed to have electronics out and I would have said Oh I didn't know that thankss and turned off my phone. Anyway, let's get back to the real discusiion, not this big misunderstanding.

- Well it is a rule to have electronics off while playing a game.

- and for the *Regice power*
If the defending pokemon is a basic and you use regice's power, they must switch.
If the defending pokemon is not a basic, you can still use regice's power to discard.

pvtGramps said:
I've been Uxie donked on the first turn
I feel for you :(

My little bro would not be cut out for tourneys or even a league because the rules are too complicated for him. He's always using t/s/s on the first turn, reading t/s/s incorrectly, forgetting to flip a coin, etc.

In the tournaments rules pdf file, which is available on go-pokemon.com, you will find the rules there. You can also view the tournament operating procedures there as well. Even if you aren't a judge, it helps to look at all resources available to you.

Back