Community Discussion (Week 5) - Diet & Exercise

safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member
Community Discussion
WEEK 5 - DIET & EXERCISE

Diet & exercise! An interesting topic indeed; enjoy some discussion.

Discuss Diet & Exercise
Diets and exercise are alway talked about in the media. Why do you think they are so popular?
Do you find the attention is necessary? Do you find this attention to health from the public genuine, or is just another fad?
Do you trust the effectiveness of dieting and/or exercise?
Discuss eating habits of westerners. Are these bad habits the reason for the massive hype on diet & exercise?
What about the drastic increase in obesity - should this be a concern?
Discuss vegetarian & vegan diets. Maybe you are vegetarian or vegan and want to share some insight.
Is it important to set health goals? What are your personal goals when it comes to health & fitness?

Interesting Links!
American diet statistics
European statistics on obesity & fitness

Remember to follow all forum rules while discussing these topics.
That includes being kind and courteous to other members, even if their opinion doesn't match your own.
Have fun!

Feel free to PM me with discussion ideas.

ooh i've actually been really big on fitness lately how neat

Diets and exercise are alway talked about in the media. Why do you think they are so popular?
Because insecurity lol

Do you find the attention is necessary? Do you find this attention to health from the public genuine, or is just another fad?
I think most people care way less about the health aspect of it, as opposed to the "you can look good" aspect of it. It's no fad, people will forever be interested in looking their best.

Absolutely. Well, I dunno about dieting, especially as far as losing weight n stuff, but I absolutely believe in the positive effects of exercise. I started seriously working out this summer and am getting back into the swing of things as the school year starts, and I have never felt better. I personally find lifting fun, but even if you don't like the act of exercise, I think that the impact it has on your life is undeniably great. I feel better, look better, I love it.

Discuss eating habits of westerners. Are these bad habits the reason for the massive hype on diet & exercise?
lol i guessssssssssssss
Like I said, people are just obsessed with the way they (and others) look, perhaps the obesity problem in America (slash the rest of the western world? idk i know nothing about europe) brings more attention to it, but at the end of the day people just want to look good (and want others to do the same).

It absolutely should, I am probably the only person who is not against the banning of large soft drinks in New York (though it certainly shouldn't be top on the priority list). Obesity is a disease, it is passed on to children, and that makes it a public health concern.

Discuss vegetarian & vegan diets. Maybe you are vegetarian or vegan and want to share some insight.
my friends are vegetarians and they dont look as good as me #jerseyshore

Is it important to set health goals? What are your personal goals when it comes to health & fitness?
I think it's important, but hey, people will do what they want. I can't imagine wanting to be susceptible to disease and not living as long as my peers, but whatever floats your boat.
As for my personal goals, I am currently horribly skinny (my 125lb weight is nothing, even with my small 5'9" frame). I only bench 70. My (long-term, obviously) goal is to be 150lbs, but I plan to continue to gain after that as well. In addition, I'm currently running a mile in 10 minutes every morning, by the end of the year I want to be doing an eight minute mile and running 2 or 3 every morning.

Diet and exercise are required if you want to play D1 sports.

My daily diet usually consists of:
Breakfast:
-Large bowl of Raisin Bran w/ milk
-2 cups orange juice
-Macaroni & Cheese OR Pancakes

Morning Snack:
-Chicken Quesadillas / something along those lines
-If school, I starve

Lunch:
-Crapton of rice
-Chicken OR high protein yogurt
-Vegetables
-If school, I usually pack a turkey sandwich and a greek yogurt, but sometimes I go out with friends and eat unhealthy bs

Afternoon Snack:
-Poptarts / various carbs because I'm starving

Dinner:
-Pasta / Rice
-Chicken / Fish
-MOAR YOGURT (lol this stuff is so healthy and good)

Post workout:
-Fresh fruit
-2 cups milk + 15g whey

Exercise:
tennis
other stuff
even more other stuff
more stuff
additional stuff

safariblade said:
Discuss Diet & Exercise
As if it hasn't been obvious, there has been a ridiculous obsession over physical appearances now that it's much easier to maintain a high profile due to the available ways to network yourself.

It's nice to have attention on health, but the reasons and motivation behind this focus is wrong. I find longevity and long-term comfort to be far superior goals that diet and exercise should be used as means to achieve.

There's a Time article that points out that weight loss has no correlation with longevity. Fitness does. Nonetheless, having a balanced diet is crucial in allow your body to perform optimally. Of course, weight loss diets are usually not balanced diets.

Psssshhhh. Does eating out often sound familiar to you? I've nothing against restaurants, but their concern is customer satisfaction, mainly good service and good food. But "good food" means tasty food, not healthy meals. Thus it's no surprise that they don't shy from the oil and salt use, thanks to our biologically positive reaction to it. Pre-made meals have the same tendency, actually. It seems like the only secure way to dine responsively is to make your own meals.

Is our deteriorating state of healthy eating the cause of this attention over D&E? It's a factor, but I wouldn't call it the only reason.

What about the drastic increase in anorexia? People fear one extreme and foolishly take the other. It's a tricky business, but you have to define boundaries for "normal." Never think about what you have to avoid, because that's only drawing a line on one side without thinking about the other.

Protein intake is an issue. You just have to make sure you select enough ingredients with this protein. I'm speaking from my parent's experience, not mine.

Is it important to set health goals? What are your personal goals it comes to health & fitness?
Moderation is my goal. I've been getting a few overuse injuries from exercise, so it's not all sunshine over here. XD

safariblade said:
Community Discussion
WEEK 5 - DIET & EXERCISE

Discuss Diet & Exercise
$$$ - People will buy just about anything that they think will make them healthier or more fit.

I guess it's better than not having any attention, but a lot of the issues that are brought up give empty promises.

There is plenty of truth to the idea that body type is largely genetic, however this does not completely control your fate. Correct diet and exercise will always prevail. I think that a problem with people who try to lose weight is that they want instant results. Filling your brain with Kate Hudson and working your butt off for a month does very little. Adapting to a healthy lifestyle long-term keeps you healthy.

I think parenting is one of the bigger issues. Teaching kids to eat healthy and to cook at home will make lasting impressions. I knew a lot of people growing up who wanted to eat healthy, but all their parents would ever buy is fast food. The concept that healthy food is always expensive could not be more of a lie.

I was never allowed to be vegetarian or vegan growing up, but have been flirting with such diets now that I'm in college. I think the animal activist extremists who say eating meat is wrong are stupid, but vegetarian diets do have their rewards. This is especially true in America, where our meats have growth hormones.

Interesting Links!
American diet statistics

That includes being kind and courteous to other members, even if their opinion doesn't match your own.
Have fun!

safariblade said:
Community Discussion
WEEK 5 - DIET & EXERCISE

Discuss Diet & Exercise

Although health is vastly more important than appearance, I believe the latter is the dominant reason as to why people want to lose fat.

This is a tricky question. Attention to a noble cause can still be misguided if it is done with damaging intent. Losing weight for the sake of beauty is a questionable motive, and I do not believe that living your life to appease others in this sense will lead to long lasting happiness. Attention paid to weight loss for the respect of health is, however, an admirable cause. It is difficult to be happy if you live in a damaged body.

There aren't many other ways a person can lose weight aside from eating less and burning off energy via exercise. The true hurdle is the motivation to do these tasks. Exercise and dieting require a level of focus which eludes many people in a world where we are used to quick and easy solutions to our problems. The key factor in motivation is your reasoning-- Why do I want to lose weight?-- and if you lack a solid or convincing reasoning, you will not succeed.

Sure thing. Bad habits -> Fatter population -> Rise in methods to curb weight.

Well, sure!

I am a vegetarian despite the username, but I do not neglect meat for reasons to do with my health. I do it for economic and ethical reasons. These are more solid reasons than trying to lose weight, because it's easier to apply yourself to a cause when you realise you are not the only person suffering as a result of your actions.

[/i]

Interesting Links!
American diet statistics

Have fun!

eh i think it's important for everyone to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly but i don't think starving yourself or becoming anorexic should ever be supported by the media. I think that rather than fast food after fast food ad...they should play some ads to do with healthy food just sayin. But once again the media shouldn't put those celebrities that do unhealthy things on the spotlight. Like they say everything in moderation.

Before I start my answers, I'd like to say that I am 16 years old and I was obese only a few weeks ago. I got my act together and lost 14kg (30.8647lbs) in 8 weeks and I feel great. Right now I am still overweight but I'm getting there. I was originally 105kg (231lbs) but now I am 90.7kg (~200lbs). I am putting in the effort to change my whole life and I am feeling healthier, happier and more energised.

They have become so popular because so many people living in Westernised countries have become not just overweight, but obese. This has allowed many businesses to exploit this issue and to gain money from their ridiculous weight loss schemes, taking advantage of people's insecurities. Everyone wants the easiest and fastest way to lose weight but the honest truth is that it is a long process. You did not get obese in under 3 months.

I find that this attention is seriously necessary. Being overweight allows for many many health problems to occur like Diabetes and heart problems. People need to change the way they live or they are in serious problems with their health. I believe that the public is concerned.. but large food companies such as McDonald's or supposed weight loss companies are not.. they just appear to be wanting to help.

Well it has definitely worked for me. It does work but you can not push yourself too much. Hard dieting is not the best way in my opinion. It will drive you insane only eating healthy stuff, but learning how to control yourself is my opinion. Eating chocolate or chips every now and then is ok, so long as you keep yourself on track the next day. I found that exercise is not as important as the food you eat. I had barely added any exercise since I had started mine but I am losing the weight effectively. I recently started to go for long jogs but yeah.. I don't think it is as essential as healthy eating but it does help.

Of course the bad eating habits of Westerners is the reason for the massive hype on diet and exercise. We eat far too much of the wrong foods. It is really easy to feel tired and not be bothered to cook and just order pizza or go to McDonald's. Eating packaged food is also really common because of the ease in which you can obtain them and carry them around. These all contain a lot of preservatives which is terrible for your health because of the extra, unnecessary calories that are hidden. Even eating large meals at night (something that is very common) is unhealthy, because we consume a large amount of carbohydrates that aren't used effectively.

Huge concern! Every time I walk to the shops or in the city, I see more overweight people in Australia than thin people. We were not meant to be overweight and we should strive to eliminate this trend in obesity.

I honestly could never become a vegetarian or a vegan. I simply love meat too much, not to mention that it is a great source of protein. I think that these diets require a lot of thought and preparation but it is possible to get your required protein intake.. but honestly I couldn't do it. Supposedly the UN wants us all to become vegans for the sustainability of the earth? I understand there concern but I doubt that they'd be able to make every living person becomes vegans.

With out goals, you don't have any motivation. I believe that it is essential to set realistic goals that state the goal weight/body size as well a realistic set time period. This keeps you motivated to eat healthy and do exercise. My personal health goal was to lose 25kg in 20 weeks. So far I have lost 14kg in 8 weeks so I know that I am on track to my goals. This will set me in the healthy weight range for the first time in my life.

WOW omg this is the discussion of the week!? Here I go:

Diets and exercise are always talked about in the media. Why do you think they are so popular?

Yep. As technology progresses we are coming up with ways to make our everyday jobs easier, in my view, some jobs lazier. I notice a lot of people I grew up with are getting lazier, fatter, and eating more unhealthy foods are being advertised. All the meat ppl are eating is slowly building up their cholesterol leves- CHOLESTEROL IS ONLY FOUND IN ANIMAL FOODS FYI which of course, promotes high blood pressure, which can cause heart attack or stroke-# 1 leading death in the world. People wanna know how to prevent cetain deaths, live longer, be healthier. The awareness is rising because people are finally speaking out about how we need to change our lives to save others, its an embarrassing problem. I am finally seeing exercise commercials, more vegan choices on the market, and more people becoming aware of the situation. Im glad Michelle Obama made those commercials about exercising!

Absolutely necessary, this is no joke or fad.

um, YEAH!!! :p I have a ballet teacher whos a vegetarian- she is 79, SEVENTY FREAKING NINE and you can do backflips, cartwheels, walk on tight rope, and other cool stuff! I eat healthy, have a physical job and I am full of energy and very skinny :p

For most, not all, but the average American BAD!

HA, well, a lot of americans need to stop eating or greatly reduce meats/dairy in their here in the united states. A lot of restaurants provide,er, "healthier" choices like salads and fruit but maybe they should make a vegan fast food chain for me :p I saw a fat lady at the mall complain because the elevator was moving too slow and she yelled at the security for not wanting to take the stairs.... seriously!? At work, I see at least one a day, someone waiting in the parking lot 30 minutes for a front row parking spot. I see moms who just fine-run from the parking lot to the door just fine sit in those electronic scooters and pretend like they hurt their leg. There was a man who was in front of me at Subway, SUBWAY! He ordered a sandwich with all the meat and cheese choices, no veggies!!! Oh yes, and wanted it drenched with ranch dressing. T-T I also see perfectly young, healthy people order a double cheeseburger and ask for bacon and cheese on it too. Even if that was just the cliched, " oh, it was just that one time" Trust me folks, it all adds up!

here I go... *sigh* rantrantrant

OMG YES. A lot of my friends who are foreign actually told me they stereotype America as fat ppl who love ice cream and burgers.... seriously, no joke... a friend of mine in Canada asked me if I was fat and if I like McDonalds and Taco Bell, ANYWHERE I GO I see fat here, fat there, ugghhh its embarrassing T-T Seriously... that lady at the mall, complaining about stairs... I want to see ppl better their lives and exercise! What is sooo hard about getting up in the morning and taking a nice refreshing jog outside on your day off? America is getting more obese than ever, its so unnerving but I cant feel bad for unhealthy people. I cants stand how common unhealthy eating habits are here in America, but well, at least I am healthy and im keeping my husband healthy. He's almost vegan too!

BTW did you know the average fast food french fry has 25 cal? Imagine eating a large size along with a 600 meal, and thats just one meal @-@

=D

GLAD YOU ASKED.

*Clears throat* First off, I have been studying nutrition for at least 7 years. I got a lot of this info from doctors, dentists, and stuff I learned in school. These things I tell you are FACT. Im not trying to brainwash anyone, im not some extreme activist, I am just a knowledgeable person sharing my experiences. I am providing extra info here so that anyone who is in need of some advice, you can always contact me for dieting help! Thanks ;)

I am VEGAN. I do not eat anything with milk, egg, cheese, beef, whatever NO animal products! Wear no leather, no bee honey, non of my beauty products are animal-tested, my hair dyes are plant-based only, I am a real-deal vegan. I did start out as a lacto-veg growing up, but have changed my diet to a more stricter form.

I am NOT anorexic and malnourished.

I do NOT take need to take any vitamin supplements directed by my doctor. I dont take any multivitamins, I am getting everything I need.

When I get sick, I use organic herbal remedies.

Heres a fact for ya: everything in meat can be substituted EXCEPT for Cholesterol-your body needs to avoid cholesterol intake from foods! This bad stuff promotes disease and forms plaque in your arteries that damages vein/artery tissue, increases your blood pressure so it can easily kill you silently.

Your body actually NEEDS carbs-only the plant-based ones.

My doctor loves and approves of my eating choices and says im a healthy weight of 127.6 lbs for my age and size.

I am slightly muscular from all the plant based protein I am getting, which BTW I am getting at LEAST twice as much protein and calcium as most people.

I shop at whole foods, yeah its pricey, but it saves in future medical bills.

Im happy to have found out my cholesterol level is EXTREMELY low- cholesterol is BAD BAD BAD only found in animals products. My blood pressure is actually low in the 70-80's so I need to eat salty foods directed by my doctor to keep it in the mid 90's/

I absolutely LOVE animals, srry but I cant hurt or eat them. The more people eat meat, the more animals will be bred to be slaughtered. If there were almost no animal farms, all that grain farmers go to feed livestock could be used to make breads for people who are starving! We could help solve world hunger. =D

My husband was so skinny when I met him but stopped eating healthy. He gaines a whopping 45lbs, and his father is suffering from what killed his own dad- heart disease. Cole doesnt want him to be at risk, to show his dad that he can help his dad, he's showing him my eating habits. Now, my husband is almost vegan himself, so proud of him! His energy has greatly risen, he's loosing weight, and he's in way better condition.

I have HIGH energy I get from B12 vitamins, sugars, and ginseng in my foods. I love to run, swim, and play all the time. I have helped other people my age convert to vegans at work because they want to live healthy like me. There are so many substitutes for meat/dairy today, I wish people would actually take interest in them :/

Almost everyone I went to high school with who was skinnier than me and ate meat said " I eat burgers all the time and im still so skinny" are now fat or chuncky. They used to laugh at me for eating salads everyday claiming id starve but now im laughing at them because I still fit into skinny clothes ;)

I eat HEMP SEEDS for my base protein. A few tablespoons has more protein than a large steak, plus a lot of omegas, vitamins, and fibers I need. Fiber from grains also forms a gel-like substance in your body which can remove cholesterol for those who are interested =D This stuff tastes GREAT on baked potatoes, veggie soup. and cereal ^-^

Most fruits and veggies I eat have loads of fiber which keeps me nice and full longer! I eat 5 small-medium meals a day. I take in maybe 1400-1600 calories but Im doing fine and because of my B vitamin intake from berries I am full of energy!

For milk, I drink almond milk, hemp milk, and rice milk. Hemp milk has the highest supply of nutrients, and almond milk is runner-up. Vanilla almond milk tastes GREAT with cereal!!! Almond and hemp milk also have HIGH amounts of calcium AND vitamin D to help process the calcium. In fact-my milk carton says Calcium-45% per 8 ounce serving. 8 ounces!? I drink like quadruple that xD Lemme tell you something- Chocolate Hemp seed milk tastes like the real deal! Its like drinking liquid silk with an orgasmic creamy flavor!!!

For eggs, I use a powder egg replace from Ener-G. Found at whole foods for cheap! =D Eggs in baking just bind ingredients together, well, so does the stuff I use :) No taste or texture difference in baked goods. Bananas, applesauce, and flax seed do the same thing too ;)

Everything else I eat HAS to be organic as Im intolerant/sensitive to most preservatives. Eating healthy as a kid and teen, I never came to much in contact with them.

Some fruits can actually help keep your teeth healthy and clean! To be honest, I visit the dentist regularly and they always complement me on my teeth! I have never had a cavity, but I also dont eat too much sugar :p

I promise you, your mother's own milk is the only milk you need. You can start out infants with soy formula and as they becom a tod, they can start drinking hemp, almond, soy, coconut, or rice milk-which has better nutrients than milk. Soy formula has been proven to contain more calcium and protein than the milk-based ones.

I exercise all the time too! I love to run and my job is very exhausting! I work overnight and stock freight which is honestly pretty heavy. I work 5-7 days a week for 8 hours ^-^ Plenty of exercise! Drinking lots of water or powerade helps keep my hydrated. I noticed everyone on break who drink sodas end up very sleepy and wiped out before 5am.

I became interested in this diet because not only from living in Indiana ( where I was unlucky enough to see on a field trip how they torture innocent cute farm animals) but from my family that is obese/super chunky and most have diabetes, heart diseases, and kidney problems.I used to think that most diseases where genetic or from not grooming but are in fact promoted from eating habits. My family eats tons of meat, white breads, and desserts-they are only fat because they chose to eat bad, even though they know the outcome.To be honest, most of them are jealous of me @-@ I was lacto-vegtarian for a long while but this year I promised myself to become fully vegan. I am living proof that a child from a fat family can be still be healthy and skinny. Im also living proof being vegan wont kill you or starve you.

EDIT: of yes, forgot to mention! There was research done on our teeth proving we are more herbivores. Yes, we are "classified" as omnivores because we can eat, er, "cooked" meat. True omnivores have those fancy almost perfectly cone shaped teeth. People argue with me about the fact our "canines" are actually a misnomer-but I had a dentist back me up on that! If you feel your "canines" theyare flat on the back-this is an herbavore tooth, not a carnivore tooth. :p Basically if we were true omnivores we would have teeth almost identical to cats/dogs/bears and our body could process raw meat without getting sick. Our teeth are unique, but are the perfect herbivore teeth for any texture of plant matter. We have teeth meant for crushing nuts and plant matter in an up-and-down motion like a mastodont ( dont be confused with the side-to side motions of the mammoth!) Our primate-like ancestors have eaten meat in the past, but we are much different from them now today. As we learned to plant and farm, we've needed to hunt meat less, plants became more edible, and we devolved slightly more plant eater teeth. Much research has been done and its believed our ancestors only hunted meat because it had more calories and was easier to obtain than edible plants. i learned all of this from AP biology and AP Anthropology in High School! =D

Vegetarians and vegans overall have a healthier lifestyle. Most love animals and help out the environment! A lot of athletes are actually vegetarian or vegan. I wish EVERYONE could at least try it T-T Because only up to 4% of all cancer is genetic, pretty much the rest of that is caused by bad eating choices. Be vegan, save animals, prevent cancer and diseases, help the environment, live longer =D

WATCH FORKS OVER KNIVES.

hope this helps ppl out with their diet goals!

safariblade said:
Community Discussion
WEEK 5 - DIET & EXERCISE

Discuss Diet & Exercise
Everything, in this era, is appearance-orientated. Most of the time, if there is someone obsessed with health, well, they are not obsessed with health. They are trying to look as good as they want to feel... At least, that is how I see it.
I do find the attention necessary, but as I previously stated, it is more of a fad than a priority.
It really all depends on which area your main focus is on. If you are trying to look good, doing weight lifting will probaby not get you that sexy six pack you want... However, from a healthy standpoint, if you eat correct amounts of what you need, you will get by, and you will look great.
McDonald's, and yes.
Obesity is one of the most common diseases in the United States. Of course it should become of high priority! As stated by another user, I also agree with Mayor Bloomberg's ban on large sodas. I think this is a wonderful move, but apparently, many others do not.
As a vegetarian, I am perfectly comtempt with my diet. Not to slander vegans, but the vegan diet is ridiculous. If you think you can live healthily on ONLY vegetables, you are out of your mind, and that is coming from a psychotic person like me. :D On a serious note, everyone needs some sort of protein. Trust me, I have almost malnourished myself by having insufficient amounts of protein in my body. I am, indeed, an animal rights activist, however; you have to have protein and other vital nutrients to sustain a healthy life. I do not eat meat often, though... Sure, there are dietary supplements, but I don't want to sit around depending on pills everyday.

Yes, it is very important to set health goals.

Personally, I would like to maintain a healthy weight, and to look as great as I feel.
Interesting Links!
American diet statistics

Have fun!

Back