Creatures Warns Pokemon TCG Players to Behave Respectfully Online

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Last week, Creatures issued a statement requesting TCG players to behave respectfully online. If they confirm a player posts derogatory comments, they may issue suspensions:
Refrain from making slanderous or other hurtful remarks on social media or in live broadcast comments. If such behavior is confirmed, we may take action such as suspending you from participating in tournaments.
I asked my friend PokeGet, who closely follows the Japanese TCG community, why Creatures might have issued the warning. He wrote the following opinion:
In Japan, the number of new players has increased significantly in the last 1-2 years.
As a result, the number of people who have never played TCG before is increasing. It seems various disparities and differences in thinking between players are growing.
As the number of players increases, the number of people who want to participate in the...

Continue reading...

I don’t like when people scrutinize players for mistakes like that. It’s really toxic behavior. Plus, give these players some slack, they’ve been playing for almost a full day a lot of the time and are often nervous to have the cameras on them. Good on Pokemon for releasing a statement warning people about doing this.

That said, the source of the frustration is understandable. As jolszewski mentioned above… a lottery system? Really??

You can't go from being new to being amazing at the game overnight, that's just not how it works. Veteran players need to understand that new players are still learning, criticizing them for being new is just ridiculous. Instead of being toxic and mean, why not help out the newer players, teach them how to properly play? Everyone was new once. I'm glad Pokemon is cracking down on stuff like this.

Respectfully, using a Lottery to be able to get players into tournaments is such a horrible idea. It makes sense for getting access to beta tests or to get access to buy certain products, but to be able to compete to get a chance at Worlds tells me they don't have the infrastructure set up in Japan despite growing player counts since 2022. This toxicity situation they're dealing with is pretty much entirely on TPCi for not providing additional venues for players to not have to rely on a lottery system. It's just stupidly conservative of Japan to do this.

You can't go from being new to being amazing at the game overnight, that's just not how it works. Veteran players need to understand that new players are still learning, criticizing them for being new is just ridiculous. Instead of being toxic and mean, why not help out the newer players, teach them how to properly play? Everyone was new once. I'm glad Pokemon is cracking down on stuff like this.
You aren't wrong but Creatures needs to have an actual Pokémon League like we do in the states. GameStores that run tournaments and stuff. That may be very difficult but the payoff would be better

Yeesh, I criticize TPCi a lot for various decisions it's made around its tournaments over the years (for example, I'm still salty over the massive restructuring it made back in 2016-2017 that led to the retiring of City Championships, mixing States Championships into Regionals Championships, and replacing National Championships with International Championships) but Creatures Inc. running a lottery for admission is kind of lame even though said lottery systems are kind of a cultural-and-possibly-legal staple in Japan.
I don’t like when people scrutinize players for mistakes like that. It’s really toxic behavior. Plus, give these players some slack, they’ve been playing for almost a full day a lot of the time and are often nervous to have the cameras on them. Good on Pokemon for releasing a statement warning people about doing this.
If were being honest here I've seen toxicity from both sides of the competitive aisle: some slow players are thinking critically about their next moves and future plays and aren't aware of how much time they're taking because they're that deep in thought, others are just plain salty about who they were paired up with and/or the deck their opponent is playing being a true counter to their deck and just wants that player to suffer, and both players are running the clock intentional or otherwise.

If you suspect your opponent is slow-playing intentionally, just call for a Judge to watch your match.
I hate to be that guy but if you're a "new" player then you really shouldn't be playing at an event where, if the article is true, a possible Worlds invite is on the line.

Think of getting into Pokémon's OP scene like going into cold swimming pool: dip your toes into it with more casual events (prereleases and League Challenges for those outside of Japan, I don't know if similar events are held there) where the stakes aren't at a fever pitch and then slowly get yourself into more competitive environments like Regionals, ICs, and eventually Worlds.
Lol people should behave how they want online.
I'd be careful with making that kind of statement, there's a fine line that you really don't want to cross when letting people "behave how they want" online and companies like Creatures Inc and TPCi are well aware of it.
This toxicity situation they're dealing with is pretty much entirely on TPCi for not providing additional venues for players to not have to rely on a lottery system. It's just stupidly conservative of Japan to do this.
TPCi has no say in regards to Japan's competitive structure, that's all on Creatures Inc.'s side of the court.

People are able to behave online however they want. That doesn't mean it's unreasonable for Creatures to disallow players from participating in events for immature behavior that reflects poorly on the brand.

Especially with the lottery system. If an unsportsmanlike player has demonstrated that they don't respect their opponents, and by extension the game, fair enough for Creatures to prevent them from potentially taking the place of a player that actually does.

as long as those people zip it when FAFO comes knocking. But they don't. It's all "cancel culture" this and "wokeness" that.

Everyone's entitled to their shitty opinions, but no one is entitled to an unchallenged, unexamined, consequence-free existence. TPCi is establishing firm TOS with this statement and I hope they stick to it.

They can't even build a TCG client correctly. Scarlet and Violet are buggy messes. I'm fine with people shitting on this company until they do something right.
I’m pretty sure they are shitting on the ppl playing, and not the company itself

Reactions: Exo
Maybe the company should make a goddamn TCG app that is 1:1 with the game, international, doesn't suck, and doesn't crash.
No maybe about it, they should. Saying that is not against any rules. It's not even an unpopular opinion.

That doesn't give anyone the freedom to say whatever they want to whomever, though. That's all this message says.

Personal attacks, like for example dropping several employees dox on the web because they made a mediocre sequel to your favourite franchise is completely unhinged. There's a line one shouldn't cross.

Back