BW/BW2 Do you find the linearity of this a problem...?

Delta

Selling colourful Pokemon to Celadon Game Corner
The game I find is REAL linier. I thought looking at Unova's map that I would be able to go either way at the intersection and find out what gym leaders are where and how to train after the first 2 gym leaders. However the game seemes to hold your hand on where you should go.
I'm 6 leaders in and still going through the same routine.
Route > Train > Team Plasma > Leader

I don't find this a problem all that much, the story is entertaining and finding out what Pokemon learn what and their locations but I this leads me to think that there is no replay value. (If anyone does replay B/W) Going through the same thing over and over when you know the climax seems a bit redundent. I am talking main-game wise, not the whole training and catching pokemon.

But I love the game so far and I shouldn't be complaining much if I haven't seen the whole thing.

Changed the title to something a tad bit more descriptive.

Yeah, it is pretty linear. I do wonder if they made it this way due to a complaint or something. A few spoilers in the next bit:

Cutting off a good third of the region until post-game was fine, but it certainly wasn't expected.

These Pokemon games are probably the most linear out of all of them that I can remember. G/S/C was probably the closest, but they did make the map easy to traverse. They made the games easier in general, so I guess that's not really surprising given some of the changes they made to this (a healing person on like every other Route, easy E4, etc.).

dmaster out.

This game is WAY more linear than other games. I found the artificial roadblocks that block your progress rather redundant after a while, and not only that they were rather contrived.

It's different if I can't get into a cave because I don't have surf, but not being able to go into a cave simply because you say I can't is annoying.

TheBreen said:
This game is WAY more linear than other games. I found the artificial roadblocks that block your progress rather redundant after a while, and not only that they were rather contrived.

It's different if I can't get into a cave because I don't have surf, but not being able to go into a cave simply because you say I can't is annoying.

Yeah, I feel just like that. I LOVED G/S/C cause of the Kanto region stuck on. A good third of the pokes in the dex live in that game. It's even better cause I don't even need Firered anymore.

This game is way more linear than other games. I found the artificial roadblocks that block your progress redundant after some time, & not only that they were contrived, overall it is fine and liked by the people.

yea it is a bit lineaar but it works for the games unlike other games that if they held my hand all the way I would stop playing them.

I do find Pokemon games a bit linear. I think it'd be cool if they made them so you can challenge the Gym Leader's in any order you want but no matter what order you pick they always make them harder the more you have beaten. For example you could challenge it the way the games determined or you could face Iris/Drayden first and they'd have a level 15 deino and a level 15 axew, then you could face clay and he's got a level 20 sandile and drilbur then you face elesa and she has a level 23 emolga and a level 25 zebstrika, then you can face Cilan/Chili/Cress and they have a level 28 Herdier and evolved monkey or something like that.

Dark Void said:
I do find Pokemon games a bit linear. I think it'd be cool if they made them so you can challenge the Gym Leader's in any order you want but no matter what order you pick they always make them harder the more you have beaten. For example you could challenge it the way the games determined or you could face Iris/Drayden first and they'd have a level 15 deino and a level 15 axew, then you could face clay and he's got a level 20 sandile and drilbur then you face elesa and she has a level 23 emolga and a level 25 zebstrika, then you can face Cilan/Chili/Cress and they have a level 28 Herdier and evolved monkey or something like that.

The only problem with that is that each badge allows you access to use a certain HM out of battle and each route has a unique road block that can only be gotten passed if you have a certain HM (e.g. Cut cuts down trees, Surf lets you go over water etc.)

Not only the HM issue, but do you realize the amount of programming that would have to go into that? Nintendo would have to adjust all Lvs of wild Pokemon and trainers that are on the routes. I think that it is a good idea, Dark Void, but at this point in time, I don't think that anyone possesses the technological ability to do this quickly enough and without a ton of extra scripting.

I agree.. it's not a problem but it did kind of bug me. I loved Hoenn, expecially on the way to Fortree and Lillycove. The less Linear the better I say!

But not in the way you wind up in random cities and towns. They still need to go from one city to the next, because of the obvious programming issues of doing all the wild pokémon levels as you go on. But I mean actually on the routes, it's alot more rugged and mixed up..

People say there is obvious programming issues with this.
But if I can refer to the final fantasies for a moment. FF8 programmed that enemies level up as your main character does. By adding mandatory trainer fights and gym leaders, it adds freedom of the Pokemon world and difficulty to the overall game, emitting power levelling and increasing adventure.

Also, they could do something like how they did with Wake and Maylene being able to be fought in two different orders in D/P. They didn't have to change the levels of the wild Pokemon and it would have been no problem for them to simply up the levels of the Gym leader a few if you have the other badge. Maybe I made it sound huge but just something like that with even just 2 different orders makes the game a lot less linear and gives you more options.

I am not sure about R/S/E but I know R/B/G/G/S/C let you challenge some leaders in whatever order you'd like.

Back