Doubles Trick Room team

AdrianD

Competitive Trainer
Im trying out this trick room team and I cant seem to figure out why i cant get them to do anything. Im stepping away from the rain for now

I lead with Cresselia and Liepard to set up trick room using Fake out. Providing Liepard doesnt get KOed on the first or 2nd turn I use it as a disrupter with swagger and encore. taunt is there to prevent counter trick room but it doesnt seem to live long enough to do that. Bronz and Heatran I have them exchange abilities stop their weakness, which I seem to be successful in doing but they dont have staying power. Ferrothorn is intended to be the water answer and more less the "heavy" leech in the team. If it cant OHKO or 2HKO. It will preserve itself but doesnt seem to have staying power either. I embedded 2 replay links for people to see what I am doing wrong.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 160 SDef / 96 Def / 252 HP
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Psychic
- Toxic

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 172 HP / 28 Def / 56 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Protect

Liepard @ Normal Gem
Trait: Prankster
- Swagger
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Taunt

Bronzong @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap
- Light Screen
- Psychic

Heatran @ Passho Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Giga Drain

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/doublesvgc2013-44883203

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/doublesvgc2013-44881038

Ferrothorn doesn't belong with Giga Drain. It's Special Attack is way too low. What you could consider using instead is Gyro Ball which hits a lot harder since Ferrothorn's Speed is slow.

You really need another attacker on the team. I think that is what is causing your biggest problem. I'd suggest replacing Liepard because it really doesn't do a lot. It may Taunt other Pokemon, but beyond that, it is not really providing the support a team needs. I'd say Tyranitar would be a better Pokemon to use.

Tyranitar's Sand Stream will change the weather which helps against rain teams. It has very high attack and decent defenses as well. It's slow Speed works with your team.

I just watched your battle videos and I noticed you aren't really taking advantage of Trick Room properly. Like in the second battle video you probably were better off not setting Trick Room up at all. Your Skill Swap strategy is pretty gimmicky and if you want to stick with it I would recommend you get rid of Bronzong and just stick Skill Swap onto Cresselia. On that note, Cresselia shouldn't be running Protect; what does it need to protect itself from? It has amazing defenses and you should be taking more advantage of them. Also, Toxic is a no-no in this metagame, VGC is far too fast paced for it to be used effectively.

On your Trick Room team I think Cresselia would benefit from a set like this:
Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Trick Room
Psyshock (generally does more damage than Psychic does)
Skill Swap
Helping Hand/Light Screen

And TBH, Liepard seems like a waste of a slot on your team. If you really want a Fake Out user go for a brave Scrafty with Intimidate.

King Arceus said:
MountainDrew said:
I think you should give Heatran Heat Wave instead of HP Ice.

He has Eruption which hits all except the user.

Yeah but once Heatran loses HP Eruption will be useless and it'll be left without a STAB move. HP Ice isn't even that useful on Heatran, Heatwave will generally do more damage.

Unless Heatran takes a Mach Punch on a turn it uses Eruption, it is going to be doing large damage.

T1 Heatran protects and his other Pokemon does Trick Room
t2 Heatran uses Eruption for a lot of damage.

King Arceus said:
Unless Heatran takes a Mach Punch on a turn it uses Eruption, it is going to be doing large damage.

T1 Heatran protects and his other Pokemon does Trick Room
t2 Heatran uses Eruption for a lot of damage.

With all of the Conkeldur running amuck lately that can very well happen.

Also, this metagame isn't that straight forward, there are many things that can stop his TR from getting set up turn one. Plus his opponent can switch in slower mons to take advantage of TR and attack Heatran before it moves on turn two.

So yeah, perhaps if he was playing an incompetent player they would let him set up TR and proceed to deal out massive damage on their mons but the better players are going to see right through his TR and make sure Heatran's Eruption doesn't hit for a ton of damage.

Taunt, Roar, and the such prevent the Trick Room from being set up. Even Mental Herb doesn't help the Taunt part very much, because there are better items that you would rather be having your pokemon hold.

There are other ways to prevent TR from setting up, but I just gave a couple examples.

Back