Dragapult ex, For Sure This Time

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Upon the release of Twilight Masquerade, I was worried that Dragapult ex would be far too powerful and oppressive. After its dominance in Japan, I thought Dragapult ex was the new gatekeeper of the format, however, these preliminary results gave rise to decks like Lugia VSTAR and Raging Bolt ex , which ended up being the most hyped decks right before NAIC. These decks match up well against Dragapult ex, scaring it away for NAIC. As a result, NAIC was dominated by decks like Gardevoir ex and Lost Zone box. These are single-Prize attacking decks that do well into Lugia VSTAR and Raging Bolt ex, but not necessarily...

Continue reading...

I played Dragapult/Xatu at a recent League Challenge and it went extremely average. Indeed good match-up against Charizard, but very poor against Lugia VSTAR. Maybe I'll try a Pidgeot ex variant once SCR Crispin comes out

I think charizard is just better, especially after the new dusknoir and briar comes out, I feel like it has more tools and has a higher consistency. I pretty much always see charizard get pidgeot bibarel and charizard up by turn 3, but I've never seen a dragapult get dragapult and pidgeot set up turn 2, unless it's with charizard, but at that point you might as well play dragapult charizard in a 2-1 split, and use dragapult with dusknoir to take suprise knockouts on a mew ex or something.

I played Dragapult/Xatu at a recent League Challenge and it went extremely average. Indeed good match-up against Charizard, but very poor against Lugia VSTAR. Maybe I'll try a Pidgeot ex variant once SCR Crispin comes out
I'm still not quite sold on Crispin. It feels like a slightly better Marnie's Pride or Bede, a Supporter that attaches a basic Energy. I can't remember ever seeing these cards in the top decks, and Giovanni's Charisma, a side grade that allows you to attach Special Energy and disrupt your opponent but requires the defending Pokémon to have Energy attached, has only seen niche use in Gengar ex (A rogue deck with an appalling matchup to Charizard ex) as far as I can tell, so I'm not super optimistic about attaching one Energy from your deck and putting another one into your hand fitting into any top deck. The lack of draw is especially painful, although even Gardenia didn't see much play when only letting you draw 2 cards (Or maybe that was just a Grass type issue).
I suppose the advantage is that we're living in a format with cards like Ogerpon ex that can accelerate even more Energy if you have Energy in hand. That, and the fact that you don't need the Energy you want in hand or in your discard pile to attach it

Back