eBay prices?

8pokemon8

Aspiring Trainer
What's the deal with the prices of graded Pokemon cards on eBay? It seems like a majority of them are anywhere from 2 to 5 times higher than what they would realistically sell for. I understand marking them up a bit because of eBay fees, grading fees, etc. But When you can cut the price in half and it's still overpriced... I don't get it. I'm curious as to how long these cards take to actually sell.

The first thing one must keep in mind with graded cards is that it can cost quite a bit to even have a card graded in the first place. PSA grading costs (if I recall correctly) ~$25 USD per card. When a seller sends a card in to be graded her or she is taking a gamble, because only the most highly graded cards will be worth the extra fee.

When you buy a graded card, you are not only getting the card itself, but also a professional guarantee that it is as described by the respective organization's grading scale. A card graded 9 or 10 will be absolutely perfect, with virtually no damage whatsoever. And these professional graders are strict. Even if you could only see a dent in the narrowest angle of light they will dock points for it. You are paying for the service, the guarantee, and the card. Oh, and you also get a nice display casing to keep it in the condition labeled.

When it comes down to it, very few people are so picky that they would spend sometimes 5 times as much for a graded card. But those people will go to any length to ensure what they have is as close to perfect as they can get. To them it's worth it.

Back