Ruling EXP Share and Chandelure's Cursed Shadow

hadoken_101

Aspiring Trainer
The scenario...

my opponent has a MEWTWO EX (ND 54) active with 14 damage counters and x3 {F} attached.
They have a TERRAKION (NV73) with an EXP SHARE (ND 87) attached and x1 {F} attached.

My active is CHANDELURE (NV 60) and i used Cursed Shadow ability to place 3 damage counters on the MEWTWO EX, knocking it out and gaining 2 prizes, then passing the turn.

My two questions are thus...

Can my opponent attach a {F} from their MEWTWO EX to TERRAKION via EXP SHARE? EXP SHARE states this can be done when "...your active Pokemon is knocked out by damage from an opponent's attack..." However I didn't attack I used an ability.

The same applies to TERRAKION's attack Retaliate. "If any of your pokemon were knocked out by damage from an opponent's attack during his or her last turn, this attack does 60 more damage." If TERRAKION had the {F}{C} required from the attack, would it do 30 or 90 damage? Again, based on the fact I did not attack last turn.

I hope this hasn't been addressed before. If it has, I'm sorry.

Neither EXP share nor Retaliate will activate. He does not get to move an energy and he does not get the extra 60 damage. Since both clearly state they must be knocked out by damage from an attack (in your case you used an ability to place damage counters). Same goes for if you used Gothitelle's Doom Decree attack. It doesn't do damage, it just knocks it out.

In addition. Damage and Damage Counters are different too. If you used Cofagrigus' first attack Damagriiigus you will be placing damage counters on the Pokemon to knock it out and thus you are not doing actual damage. So, Retaliate and EXP share don't activate yet again.

Back