Experimenting With Rain

AdrianD

Competitive Trainer
I guess this is a basic rain team that cant seem to do what Intend it to do which is power up Gastro a couple of turns while maintaining the rain advantage. Thats why I have a weather tank politoad.

Politoed (F) @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Drizzle
Level: 71
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 HP
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Encore
- Protect

Gastrodon (M) @ Rindo Berry
Trait: Storm Drain
Level: 64
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Recover
- Stockpile

Kingdra (F) @ Dragon Gem
Trait: Swift Swim
Level: 71
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Protect

Kingdra is my muscle and my clean up hitter. Its presumed that Gastro will at least have a +1 Sp. Atk. Have Kingdra boost another level or two depending on the opponent. I use dragon gem when in a bigger bind or going for the KO blow. I try not using it unless its really necessary.

Zapdos @ Yache Berry
Trait: Pressure
Level: 86
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Tailwind

Seemingly the soul propose for him is Thunder and taking out as many pokes as possible. I wind up not using tailwind even tho I had intended to use him to give boosts for non swim swift pokes, However 4 of the 6 have dreadful speed so tailwind would be pointless. Its HP is Dark so that wouldnt be happening giving it Hidden power

Toxicroak (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Dry Skin
Level: 57
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Protect

Originally He was used for taking Surf attacks. It wouldnt hurt him at all and he would recover, but it is soo frail and slower then Ideal just seems to be a liability then being useful. So probably wont keep him but want to know who I can replace him with.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
Level: 55
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Protect

This one is used for bulk but a lot of strength. Seems like this guy should be in a TR then a rain team so not sure if its useful for this team.

Just looking for suggestions on where I should go from here

In the first place, (not slamming you or anything) Why is Toxicroak NOT holding Black Sludge. Toxicroak uses the Rain, Black Sludge and Water attacks as amazing recovery. Black Sludge also allows you to recover if a Ninetails tries to ruin your plans.

This is my Toxicroak

Toxicroak (Male)

Adamant nature

EV Spread

252 HP/ 252 ATTK/ 4 SPE

Rain Dance
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch
Gunk Shot

Gunk Shot for STAB (and also a personal choice). Sucker Punch helps deal with those annoyances known as the Lati's. Drain Punch for more recovery and Rain Dance for those Ninetails teams. If you want to run Toxicroak, this is an ideal way to do it. If not, then I would replace Toxicroak with Ludicolo.

Ludicolo

Modest/Timid Nature

Item: Absorb Bulb

EV Spread

252 SP.ATTK/ 252 SPD/ 4 HP

Fake Out
Giga Drain
Hydro Pump
Protect

Protect is always useful for trying to stop priority moves from ruining your day. Giga Drain and Hydro Pump for STAB, and Fake Out for a lead. Absorb Bulb can give you a plus 1 when hit by a Water move to your SP.ATK.

Another thing I can suggest is to get rid of Zapdos for a Pokemon to abuse that Thunder drop more. Rotom - W

There are two ways to build Rotom - W.

Rotom - W

Modest Nature

Item: Sitrus Berry

EV Spread:

252 HP/ 252 SP.ATK/ 4 SP.DEF

Moveset

Hydro Pump
Thunder
Thunderwave/ HP Fire/ HP Ice
Protect

This is the most common Rotom to find. However if you wanted to Choice Scarf it, the only real changes are to the Speed and HP Stats. It would look like this. 4 HP/ 252 SP. ATK/ 252 SPE

I like the addition of Metagross in your team to soak up some hits and deal with Cresselia.

Thats my piece. Take it or leave it :3

AdrianD said:
What abilities would you suggest for them?

I thought it might come as obvious since it's a rain team.

Ludicolo MUST have Swift Swim. Otherwise Ludicolo just gets ruined.

Rotom can only have Levitate. So you have nothing else you can do.

Toxicroak NEEDS Dry Skin. Same reasoning as Ludicolo.

Actually, Ludicolo doesn't HAVE to have Swift Swim; it can have Rain Dish if you are using it for SubSeed. I don't recommend SubSeed at all for this team since that would slow down your momentum too much.

There are, however, other types of Rain Teams that are a tad slower that could use it. It would be used as that last slot that you have no idea what to fill with to help finish off the opponent. If used correctly, it is most certainly a nuisance.

SheNinja said:
Actually, Ludicolo doesn't HAVE to have Swift Swim; it can have Rain Dish if you are using it for SubSeed. I don't recommend SubSeed at all for this team since that would slow down your momentum too much.

There are, however, other types of Rain Teams that are a tad slower that could use it. It would be used as that last slot that you have no idea what to fill with to help finish off the opponent. If used correctly, it is most certainly a nuisance.

While in singles this is a perfectly viable strategy, in VGC Play (which is what the team is for) this is only going to end badly. The extra speed is HUGE in VGC, and since the metagame is so offensively-based, there's no way you'll be able to accomplish much with SubSeed. One pokemon will break your sub while the 2nd is going to hit you for quite a bit of damage.

If gastrodon is out and you have another pokemon use surf, will it absorb the entire attack and not let it hit anyone else?

Ohman177 said:
If gastrodon is out and you have another pokemon use surf, will it absorb the entire attack and not let it hit anyone else?

No. It only "absorbs" what is targeted to it, and the attack targets every other Pokemon.

@TPO3: I have put SubSeed Ludicolo on a couple of my Rain Teams (especially Trick Room Rain, but that's another story) and it has worked swimmingly. I'd suggest that you'd try it out teapot.

Super__Sonic said:
In the first place, (not slamming you or anything) Why is Toxicroak NOT holding Black Sludge. Toxicroak uses the Rain, Black Sludge and Water attacks as amazing recovery. Black Sludge also allows you to recover if a Ninetails tries to ruin your plans.

This is my Toxicroak

Toxicroak (Male)

Adamant nature

EV Spread

252 HP/ 252 ATTK/ 4 SPE

Rain Dance
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch
Gunk Shot

Gunk Shot for STAB (and also a personal choice). Sucker Punch helps deal with those annoyances known as the Lati's. Drain Punch for more recovery and Rain Dance for those Ninetails teams. If you want to run Toxicroak, this is an ideal way to do it. If not, then I would replace Toxicroak with Ludicolo.

Black Sludge isn't even that great of an item choice on Toxicroak; it doesn't have the bulk to utilize it properly. Toxicroak is far too frail for it to be viable in this meta. It's far better off holding a Sash or a Life Orb. Heck, even a Dark Gem to boost Sucker Punch would be more useful IMO. Also, Gunk Shot isn't a good move choice for Toxicroak; it's actually a very poor one. 70 accuracy just makes it unviable. I believe the OP's set was far better suited for this meta. However, I do think he should get rid of Taunt and put Fake Out in it's place.

I have a question for the OP:
How does this team deal with Trick Room? More specifically a TR team that carries Amoongus?

I ask this because outside of Politoed and Gastrodon (and perhaps Metagross if used correctly) you don't really have an effective way of dealing with Trick Room. Moreover, Amoongus would threaten to take away a great deal of your momentum under Trick Room.

Back