• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

First Competitive Deck (Pyroar / Charizard EX / Seismitoad EX)

Video Galaxy

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all, this is my first competitive deck that features mostly Pyroar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! :)

Pokemon:

• 4 Litleo
    4 Pyroar
    1 Charizard EX
    1 Seismitoad EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 3 Bicycle
    3 Blacksmith
    1 Computer Search
    2 Evosoda
    2 Lysandre
    3 Muscle Band
    2 N
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 Roller Skates
    4 Switch
    4 Ultra Ball
Energy:

• 8 Fire Energy
    4 Double Colorless

Strategy:
Use Charizard as a heavy hitter, Pyroar to stall/finish, and Seismitoad to disrupt item usage.

I'm on mobile, so I'm not going into depth right now. So that said, you need another attacker. 4-4 Pyroar is too much, you need at most 2-2 of that line. I'd probably do 2-2 Pyroar, add another Chairzard EX so when it gets knocked out you have a back up, a Mewtwo EX to counter Lucario EX, Mewtwo EX, and Yvetel EX. Still leaving you with 2 more free spots.

Also, 4 switch is way too many. With your current deck you are only going to switching once.

I would disagree with Jeremy1026. Keep the 4-4 pyraor line becuase it will likely be your main attacker. You could add in a mewtwo EX. you only have 58 cards so i would recomend you put in 2 more N or 1 N and 1 Shauna or 1 N and 1 colress.

Ironman131 said:
I would disagree with Jeremy1026. Keep the 4-4 pyraor line becuase it will likely be your main attacker. You could add in a mewtwo EX. you only have 58 cards so i would recomend you put in 2 more N or 1 N and 1 Shauna or 1 N and 1 colress.

Pyroar is not a main attacker. You either need to burn 2 energy to KO most EX. Or, 3 hit them. Lysandre or Beartic is an auto-loss.

Pyroar is a main attacker and that is why decks that run 4-4 pyroar lines have placed high in us nationals and multiple large tournamnets.

I personally play a pyroar deck that runs 4-4 pyroar as well as 1 charziard EX (CB) and 1 mewtwo EX. The deck is very consistant and has taken down some good decks.

The way I play Pyroar is very pure, almost like it's a quad, with the idea that my main attacker is something that can wall most other Pokemon. Use things like Lysandre to KO threats like evolving Basics or Garbodor before they hit the field, and in theory you win by running your opponent out of options. In other words, with the perspective of playing Pyroar in such a manor, including a ton of other stuff would be trying to "win more" when you're just fine without it.

That's not saying that's the only way to play it. For instance I saw someone playing Pyroar in Donphan at league. And I'm sure the counter argument to pure Pyroar would be that it's nice to have something to fall back to. More counts of an EX to swing for a ton of damage and appropriate support for it. That sort of thing.

Pure Pyroar is still strong in the current meta. The thing is it can be very slow too which makes it KO easy as well since its an evo line. Saying pyroar is an autoloss to beartic means you haven't figured out the counter to beartic which makes it an autoloss. You just need to keep in mind that beartic is pretty much the most common counter and put float stones in your deck. My daughter runs a 2/2 line between float stones/muscle bands in her deck.

Pyroar as a deck is kill those evo lines and your done. Its an auto win for you as your opponent has nothing else to hit you with except for lasers+sleep rolls (points at MORA).

I've actually built and run a similar deck. However, my deck includes 2 Charizard EX and 1 Mewtwo EX.

With 4 Catcher, 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Switch and 4 Roller Skates, I view your deck as very "high risk, high reward." However, these 16 cards can be neutralized quickly if your opponent starts Quaking Punch'ing you early game. So, I'd suggest you consider mitigating your risks by:

-1 Pokémon Catcher
-1 Roller Skates
-1 Ultra Ball
-1 Switch

+2 Pokémon Fan Club
+2 N

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back