Discussion Galvantula ex is good and let me tell you why

Robin Aisaga

Aspiring Trainer
MemeLoveTriangle.jpg

Galvantula ex from Stellar Crowd is a card with a lot of potential, we’ve seen that Seismitoad EX and Banette ex were forces to be reckoned with. Now we have another item blocking Pokémon that can deal damage at the cost of discarding energy. I just thought of a combination to make this deck work and wanted to share it with this lovely community. This is how the deck could end up looking like:

Pokémon: 18
4x Teal Mask Ogerpon ex
3x Galvantula ex
4x Joltik (Stellar Crown)
3x Chansey (151)
3x Blissey ex
1x Radiant Greninja

Trainers: 29
4x Crispin
3x Arven
1x Kofu
2x Iono
1x Boss’s Orders
1x Kieran

4x Nest Ball
3x Ultra Ball
1x Hisuian Heavy Ball
1x Pokégear 3.0
1x Energy Switch
1x Switch
1x Earthen Vessel
3x Glass Trumpet

1x Sparkling Crystal
1x Power Hourglass

Energy: 13
(G) Energy: 7
(L) Energy: 3
(F) Energy: 3​

You can check the upcoming cards here on Pokébeach or on justinbasil.

Galvantula + Ogerpon (spoilers for the upcoming set):

Galvantula’s first attack ‘’Charged Web’’ is powerful and straightforward, it deals 110 damage against single-prize Pokémon and 220 damage against Pokémon ex and V for just 2 energy. But let’s focus on the attack that blocks your opponent from playing item cards. This disruptive attack can shut down decks with stage 2 Pokémon and is a pain for basically any deck. Items always play a vital role.

Fulgurite costs 3 energy that you have to discard after attacking. Sounds like a hefty price to pay right? But some of the most powerful decks of today like Raging Bolt, Chien-Pao and Regidrago also discard plenty of energy in order to use powerful attacks. With the right tools it can be done, so let’s look at what tools work best for Galvantula ex! My first idea when I saw Galvantula ex was to combine it with Electric Generator, but this item doesn’t help Galvantula that much in the long term. I found a better, more consistent combination…

‘’you could not live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me.’’ - Teal Mask Ogerpon ex

Yep, we’re once again looking at TM Ogerpon ex to make a deck function. Not only does it provide a draw engine, it gets energy on the board. But we’re also getting new tools to make Galvantula ex work. The new supporter Crispin is a must for this deck, not only does it let you attach energy to your Pokémon, it also puts an energy in your hand, this works perfectly with Ogerpon ex since you’re essentially attaching 2 energy and drawing a card.

We’re also getting 3 new trainer cards to make this deck work. Sparkling Crystal is the most obvious choice for the ace spec, only having to discard 2 energy each turn is huge. But I believe that even without this item, Galvantula can keep using Fulgurite with the help of new trainers like Power Hourglass and Glass Trumpet.

Stellar Crown Joltik’s attack shouldn't be overlooked either, it lets you attach 2 (G) and 2 (L) energy to your Pokémon in any way you like. The next Pokémon that plays an important part in this deck is Blissey ex, she will help you get the most value out of Ogerpon ex and enables Glass Trumpet. Ogerpon ex will be used to get (G) energy back in play, Glass Trumpet will be used to get (L) and (F) energy back in play.

Why do I think this deck is strong? Blocking items is one of the best disruption effects, but you still need to fulfill a win condition, like deck-out your opponent or knock-out Pokémon. This is one of the challenges Banette and Seismitoad have to face. The moment you stop the item blockade you will be bombarded with them. Galvantula has the potential to keep up the blockade while taking prize cards in the process.

''Oh no no no, I'm the upgrade'' - Galvantula

For now this decklist is just an early concept, I still want to squeeze a Kieran, Energy Retrieval, Super Rod and another Boss's Order in there. I’ll have to see what works best when I can actually play it. We have some stuff to consider like: maybe Power Hourglass isn’t that consistent because the active pokémon needs to survive until the next round. Maybe the new Noctowl with additional Energy Switch is better than using Blissey, stuff like that needs testing.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I’m just excited for this deck I guess! Thank you for coming to my Galvantula talk, I want to end this post with a small poem:

Scarlet is red, Violet was better, Kofu is being underestimated, Shuckle is forever.

Ogerpon.jpg

Last edited:
Me, who plans on running Hydrapple:

8vvp7e.jpg

Back