Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
As usual, Gamestop will be giving away a promo for the release of the latest set. This time it’s Lechonk for Scarlet & Violet. The promotion will start March 31st, the day the set releases in stores.

Lechonk-Gamestop-Promo-196x300.jpg

Unlike previous Gamestop promos, this one will be a reverse holo; the last few sets featured regular holofoil. The promo will come with the Gamestop logo in the corner of the artwork. This is the only feature distinguishing it from Lechonk’s normal reverse holo print.

Dragonite-Gamestop-Promo-137x200.jpg

Hisuian-Zoroark-GameStop-Promo-148x200.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
That's really not how I thought they'll use "switch out" lol. Adding "to the Bench" seems like a waste of text, since there's only one way to do a switch and, in fact, it can erroneously suggest there are other places that can be switched to.
I was expecting something more along the lines of "Your opponent switches out their Active Pokemon".

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
That's really not how I thought they'll use "switch out" lol. Adding "to the Bench" seems like a waste of text, since there's only one way to do a switch and, in fact, it can erroneously suggest there are other places that can be switched to.
I was expecting something more along the lines of "Your opponent switches out their Active Pokemon".
"Your opponent switches out their Active Pokémon" would not be accurate to the effect. That would suggest the effect is on your opponent while the effect is on the Pokémon. This difference matters in the case of Marowak FCO.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
"Your opponent switches out their Active Pokémon" would not be accurate to the effect. That would suggest the effect is on your opponent while the effect is on the Pokémon. This difference matters in the case of Marowak FCO.
It wouldn't, but that's how these effects were always worded. "Your opponent switches their Active Pokemon with 1 of their Benched Pokemon".

Tomasko26

Aspiring Trainer
As a collector this is disappointing but I'm a fan of chonky boi so I'll still pick one up :)

fleshrum

Cephalophore
That's why they changed it! That wording was misleading.
It literally could not be clearer, the person who takes the action is the subject of the sentence. This is way more clunky, and way less clear. No need for reminder text the old way. Now?

This is plain awful wording, it looks like a bad custom card.

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
So does this suggest the player commits the action versus the pokemon being affected? No clue if it matters in pokemon, but I know in yugioh it's a big difference. It's what makes you able to remove a card unaffected by card effects (e.g ferret flames working on Ultimate Falcon versus any monster removal initiated by you not working).

MrMarkZ

Aspiring Trainer
The reason they use this terminology is because there was confusion that effects like this affect the Active Pokémon when the designers intend for them to affect the Bench. Your wording suggest the former.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
It literally could not be clearer, the person who takes the action is the subject of the sentence. This is way more clunky, and way less clear. No need for reminder text the old way. Now?

This is plain awful wording, it looks like a bad custom card.
Marowak FCO says it prevents all effects done to its owner by attacks. If the old English translation is read literally, the effect is on your opponent, which is not what's happening. The new English translation makes it clear that there is no effect whatsoever on your opponent, it's only on the Pokémon. Your opponent choosing a new Pokémon to put in the Active Spot is simply a result of them not having an Active Pokémon, not an effect of the attack (as is denoted by the parenthesis).

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
No, it really wasn't? You're kind of the only person I've seen to keep bringing this up and you're off by several degrees.
Marowak FCO says it prevents all effects done to its owner by attacks. If the old English translation is read literally, the effect is on your opponent, which is not what's happening. The new English translation makes it clear that there is no effect whatsoever on your opponent, it's only on the Pokémon. Your opponent choosing a new Pokémon to put in the Active Spot is simply a result of them not having an Active Pokémon, not an effect of the attack (as is denoted by the parenthesis).

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
The reason they use this terminology is because there was confusion that effects like this affect the Active Pokémon when the designers intend for them to affect the Bench. Your wording suggest the former.
Wait, what? Just above your post you have a person claiming that this effect targets the Active Pokemon. So I guess it's still confusing.

Personally I'd prefer "Your opponent's Active Pokemon switches out". Start with the target, then state the effect. It also uses neutral language, unlike this version, which suggests you should manipulate the opponent's cards somehow. It's not an issue unique to this effect, but it'd be helpful to avoid suggesting doing something that's banned in most tournaments.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
Wait, what? Just above your post you have a person claiming that this effect targets the Active Pokemon. So I guess it's still confusing.

Personally I'd prefer "Your opponent's Active Pokemon switches out". Start with the target, then state the effect. It also uses neutral language, unlike this version, which suggests you should manipulate the opponent's cards somehow. It's not an issue unique to this effect, but it'd be helpful to avoid suggesting doing something that's banned in most tournaments.
I do agree this wording would be better. Maybe make it "Your opponent's Active Pokémon switches out to the bench." so it's a bit clearer to new players who have never read an effect like this before what switching out means.

MrMarkZ

Aspiring Trainer

Oh I didn't read the card properly and assumed it was like the Pokemon Catcher. Yes this card affects the Active pokemon. My bad!