Gardevoir from “Pokemon TCG Online Illustration Exhibition”

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Following the reveal of Zacian two weeks ago, the Pokemon TCG Online Illustration Exhibition has now debuted a mock-up Gardevoir card by Japanese illustrator Takumi Wada. It also won’t be a real card, as these mock-ups are only meant to promote the exhibition.

Gardevoir-Mock-Up-300x169.jpg

Gardevoir-217x300.jpg

Zacian-Wada-300x169.jpg

As posted before, Takumi Wada is known for illustrating artwork for The Legend of Zelda franchise. He has never illustrated a Pokemon card before. He will design three card illustrations for this exhibit. The last one will debut on September 22nd.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of art I've been wanting to see in the TCG for a long time. Almost every card that's not an EX or Prime card is a shot of the Pokemon from a medium distance or farther- I ADORE when a card has a nice, closeup shot of the Pokemon just living its life and not doing any whacky attack.

Love the water ripple. Makes it look like a pure psychic pokemon with its dress floating just above the sea. It would be much better if they zoom our a little and give gardevoir a badass glare like zacian. ?

Also, who else got tricked by the play button.. ?

This is exactly the kind of art I've been wanting to see in the TCG for a long time. Almost every card that's not an EX or Prime card is a shot of the Pokemon from a medium distance or farther- I ADORE when a card has a nice, closeup shot of the Pokemon just living its life and not doing any whacky attack.
soooo digimon tcg then

its a shame digimon lives in pokemons shadow, the deigns of the monsters are better
Some Digimons look downright creepy and demonic, some has really good designs based on various mythologies like Kyubimon, Monmon, Griffonmon etc. Pokemons look more acceptable though cuz i feel its less realistic which makes it more fanciful and innocent. Plus they're like cute little pets that can be badass mutha fuckas in battle. Whereas digimons just look super barbaric...

going back now and playing digimon games released between 2000 and 2020 is a more engaging experience than playing Pokémon games released between these dates. some of the anime series, especially Tamers, are incredibly well written. There's an amazing article detailing the early years of the tcg in japan and how they influenced yu gi oh and western card game culture, culminating in the masterclass of push-pull mechanics that the current tcg is. Pokémon is much more of a cultural touchstone, but I'd never have learned about the kabalah or alien life form nomenclature by browsing Bulbapedia.

Pokémon is much more of a cultural touchstone, but I'd never have learned about the kabalah or alien life form nomenclature by browsing Bulbapedia.
Pokémon has tons of references to interesting trivia, it's just a lot less overt about it and a lot of it gets lost in localization. Bulbapedia in particular has...restrictive, policies in place about what can be cited on its wiki. On the one hand it's good because it keeps a lot of headcanon nonsense off the site, on the other hand it keeps good information off the site.

As a westerner browsing Bulbapedia, you're engaging with Pokémon on a very surface level. Stuff like this is in the series if you know where to look.

As a westerner browsing Bulbapedia, you're engaging with Pokémon on a very surface level. Stuff like this is in the series if you know where to look.
I didn't say it wasn't present. I said that Digimon lore is more sprawling, a little less sanitized, & a little less family friendly. Very 90s comic, if you see what I mean.

Implying that I only engage with Pokémon on the surface level is hilarious though.
OMG ITS SO DEEP U DON UNDERSTAND CAUSE U R A FAKE GEEK

I didn't say it wasn't present. I said that Digimon lore is more sprawling, a little less sanitized, & a little less family friendly. Very 90s comic, if you see what I mean.

Implying that I only engage with Pokémon on the surface level is hilarious though.
OMG ITS SO DEEP U DON UNDERSTAND CAUSE U R A FAKE GEEK
You're contradicting yourself but ok go off king

Back