Help a n00b out?

mynamehere040

Aspiring Trainer
I've been playing competitive TCGs for a while (namely MTG) and a group of friends I play with started playing the Pokemon TCG competitively, and while I trust them I thought I'd find a second source of competitive players to help me out.

Played against a deck where every card was a legendary pokemon (zekrom/thundurus, etc.) and got annihilated. I was hoping to do a little better next time.

Just a few questions and I'll leave this forum alone...

What decks seem to be strongest in the current format? (I understand the meta varies but in general which decks are generating the most talk?)
What handful of cards dominate the format (if any)?
Which sets, if any, have the most money in them/the most powerful, popular cards right now?

I've tried plenty of places and gotten a bunch of different answers, thought I'd try here. Sorry if this is the wrong board :/

What decks seem to be strongest in the current format? (I understand the meta varies but in general which decks are generating the most talk?)
Magnezone Prime/Eelektrik,Chandelure/Vileplume/Dodrio,Zekrom/Pachirisu/Shaymin/Tornadus,Six Corners: Virizion/Shaymin/Terrakion/Kyurem+Other metagame options (Meta counter deck),Cobalion/Kyurem/Electrode Prime,Durant (Autopilot deck)
Pokemon Catcher,Junk Arm,N
Which sets, if any, have the most money in them/the most powerful, popular cards right now?
Heartgold Soulsilver,Triumphant,Noble Victories,Black & White, Possibly: Call of Legends ( Decent Supporter cards + Pachirisu) and possibly Emerging Powers (Pokemon Catcher,Tornadus)

mynamehere040 said:
I've been playing competitive TCGs for a while (namely MTG) and a group of friends I play with started playing the Pokemon TCG competitively, and while I trust them I thought I'd find a second source of competitive players to help me out.

Played against a deck where every card was a legendary pokemon (zekrom/thundurus, etc.) and got annihilated. I was hoping to do a little better next time.

Just a few questions and I'll leave this forum alone...

The Truth: Vileplume, Reuniclus, and various high HP attackers.
EelZone: Magnezone Prime, Eelektrik
Durant Mill: Durant
ReshiPhlosion: Reshiram, Typhlosion Prime
ZPS: Zekrom, Pahirisu, Shaymin
Chandelure: Dodrio, Chandelure, Vileplume
PrimeTime: Yanmega, Magnezone Prime
Mewbox: Mew Prime, Various attackers to be Lost Zoned and abused by Mew
Six Corners: A deck I think is horrendous, but people are trying anyways.... Terrakion, Coballion, Virizion, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem.

Professor Oak's New Theory (PONT for short)
Professor Juniper
Pokemon Collector
Pokemon Communication
Rare Candy
Pokemon Catcher
Junk Arm
Plus Power
Super Rod/Flower Shop Lady (FSL for short)/Revive
Dual Ball

Call of Legends (CoL for short) has a lot of valuable reprints. Black and white has several very good deck-making Pokemon in it as well. However, we will be getting an EX set in February, so you may want to hold off and see what that brings about.

I've tried plenty of places and gotten a bunch of different answers, thought I'd try here. Sorry if this is the wrong board :/

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. :)

Shaymin Lv.X said:
Magnezone Prime/Eelektrik,Chandelure/Vileplume/Dodrio,Zekrom/Pachirisu/Shaymin/Tornadus,Six Corners: Virizion/Shaymin/Terrakion/Kyurem+Other metagame options (Meta counter deck),Cobalion/Kyurem/Electrode Prime,Durant (Autopilot deck)
Pokemon Catcher,Junk Arm,N
Heartgold Soulsilver,Triumphant,Noble Victories,Black & White, Possibly: Call of Legends ( Decent Supporter cards + Pachirisu) and possibly Emerging Powers (Pokemon Catcher,Tornadus)

Most thorough answer ever.

Thanks guys :D that's tremendously helpful. Haha

New/returning player threads belong in the Training Facility. I'll move it there for you.

Back