How to tell what works and what doesn't...

Viewtiful Me

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all,
I've been getting into the competetive scene for Pokemon TCG for a little while now (since PL:RR), and I'm building decks based on what I think works etc, however, because there aren't any tournaments nearby (I'm in the UK and don't know where stuff is held), I don't know exactly how the meta works, and therefore can't tell whether a card is played or not as such.

I understand I sound like a total noob by saying this, and if so, so be it, but I'm asking for help, and would appreciate any comments.

Having looked at the past couple of sets, I've looked at Donphan Prime, Crobat Prime and others like them that give out large amounts of damage for very little energy, but as far as I can see by looking at these forums and others, they aren't seen as top-tier, or even high tier, and I'd quite like to know why that is. Jumpluff I understand, as it deals massive amounts of damage very quickly, but I don't quite get why particularly Crobat, in combination with Gengar SF/AR for offence or Dusknoir SF for defence supposedly is no good. I have also tried building a Blazeray build, and for some reason, couldn't get it to work, despite it's apparant power level. Am I simply playing all of the above wrong, or have I missed something vital to the equation? I'm aware of the fact that supporters/trainers provide the bulk/engine of a deck, as well as Uxie/Azelf/other draw power Pokemon, and I have all of those, and I therefore want to be able to take the next step and end up feeling more confident in general.

Thanks in advance for any comments :D

To answer your Crobat question, look at his weakness. Luxray GL Lv.X, being the most popular card in the format, can one-shot Crobat with Trash Bolt (or with Flash Impact+Flash Bite). The Poison is hard to use because your opponent could retreat or Warp Point/Poke Turn out of the active, making the Poison not as good.

If you are going to the "next step", then you'll need to think about what is popular in the format right now and building a deck that can work well in the format. For example, with Sablelock being popular you'll need to make a deck that is consistent and can survive disruption.

LOTS AND LOTS of testplaying.

Also, play someone who is significantly better than you.

For example, I made top 16 states, and would've made top 32 in regionals if not for a judging error that I myself overlooked. And I just started playing in August of last year. I got that good that quick because I played with the Craig brothers every weekend or so.

After you get so good, you start to notice combos for yourself and learn to play metagame decks very quickly.

Back