Help It's been 4 years since I've last played in a tournament or strongly followed the TCG at all

Xeno

Zacian: The best boi
I don't even know where to start.

I know Dynamaxes are things, V-MAX, V Cards.

So I have some questions.
- Whats BDIF(s)?
-Any major rule changes?
-Is there a new disciple of Guzma/Lysandre?
-Any other things worthy of note?

To give you an idea of the last time I played, I got really sick the day before a tourney that could've punched my ticket to Worlds 2015. It was a rough day.

Thanks for the info in advance!
-Xeno

Best Decks In Format: This is a weird one to answer because rotation is happening very soon so this changes in a few weeks. People will generally agree that as of right now, Dragapult V Max is BDIF since it has the HP and ability to spread onto every matchup for perfect math to win. Other than Pult, here are some other decks that are meta at the moment:
  • Pikachu & Zekrom Tag Team
  • Zacian variants (Turbo Zacian/Combo Zacian, ADP Zacian, Lucario Melmetal Zacian)
  • Baby Blacephalon
  • Spiritomb
  • Cinccino Control/Mill
There are a lot of other decks, but these are the most meta. The era you stopped playing was the Night March era correct? A few things have changed, but only one is a major rule change.
1. Going first you can no longer play a Supporter turn one.
2. A lot of cards are banned in expanded right now. From that era, notably Hex, Puzzle, Ghetsis and Forest.
3. Power Creep has gone insane.

There is a new iteration of Guzma/Lysandre, actually in the most recent set. Boss's Orders is a 1:1 reprint of Lysandre, but printed as a holo rare, it's harder to pull and thus more expensive. However it was released in a recent product that comes with a ton of newer staples and a code that gives you the same thing online. If you aren't in a hurry to get cards irl during a time where there's no events you could just buy the code for it. (The product is called the Trainer's Toolkit) You can buy all of the individual singles for less than the box, but it might be more convenient to just get the box if you want the cards irl.

Also with the Charizard Lounge being shut down since you've been gone, Limitless TCG has filled the role for providing tournament results and releasing decklists.
https://limitlesstcg.com/tournaments/ is the link if you're interested in seeing more recent online tournament results.

One last thing is that if you do play online and still have all of your older cards, there's a pretty large online community for playing older formats that you can find by asking around. I'm a pretty active player, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask

Best Decks In Format: This is a weird one to answer because rotation is happening very soon so this changes in a few weeks. People will generally agree that as of right now, Dragapult V Max is BDIF since it has the HP and ability to spread onto every matchup for perfect math to win. Other than Pult, here are some other decks that are meta at the moment:
  • Pikachu & Zekrom Tag Team
  • Zacian variants (Turbo Zacian/Combo Zacian, ADP Zacian, Lucario Melmetal Zacian)
  • Baby Blacephalon
  • Spiritomb
  • Cinccino Control/Mill
There are a lot of other decks, but these are the most meta. The era you stopped playing was the Night March era correct? A few things have changed, but only one is a major rule change.
1. Going first you can no longer play a Supporter turn one.
2. A lot of cards are banned in expanded right now. From that era, notably Hex, Puzzle, Ghetsis and Forest.
3. Power Creep has gone insane.

There is a new iteration of Guzma/Lysandre, actually in the most recent set. Boss's Orders is a 1:1 reprint of Lysandre, but printed as a holo rare, it's harder to pull and thus more expensive. However it was released in a recent product that comes with a ton of newer staples and a code that gives you the same thing online. If you aren't in a hurry to get cards irl during a time where there's no events you could just buy the code for it. (The product is called the Trainer's Toolkit) You can buy all of the individual singles for less than the box, but it might be more convenient to just get the box if you want the cards irl.

Also with the Charizard Lounge being shut down since you've been gone, Limitless TCG has filled the role for providing tournament results and releasing decklists.
https://limitlesstcg.com/tournaments/ is the link if you're interested in seeing more recent online tournament results.

One last thing is that if you do play online and still have all of your older cards, there's a pretty large online community for playing older formats that you can find by asking around. I'm a pretty active player, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask

WOW! Hex, Puzzle, Ghetsis, and Forest banned? I knew they would've rotated by now, but BANNED? Forest makes sense given the time, but still. Yeah right around Worlds 2015 I stopped playing, then 2016 and beyond I ever so loosely followed the game.

With all the new cards I figured power creep would be an issue.

No Supporters turn 1? Well that makes sure super consistent decks don't go at lightning speed, which makes sense.

Heard of Limitless, something I wonder to every once and a while.

Yeah I had a PTCGO account that my little brother got me permanently banned on for... well I don't wanna tell lol.

Fairy types are being discontinued, and probably Dragon types as well but I don’t think we have confirmation.

Fairy types are being discontinued, and probably Dragon types as well but I don’t think we have confirmation.

Discontinued???

There is literally no point in that?

Talk about taking it back old school. They should add a poison type if they're discontinuing types.

Discontinued???

There is literally no point in that?

Talk about taking it back old school. They should add a poison type if they're discontinuing types.
They are discontinuing fairy to simplify the game and reduce it's complexity is the official reason given

They are discontinuing fairy to simplify the game and reduce it's complexity is the official reason given

Wouldn't this just potentially create a huge mess of Pokemon being in the same type set?
There's a lot of consequences here, as well as some added bonuses.

-Metal Types have absolutely no usage, they can hit SE (Super Effective) against a select few water types.
-Dragon Types *could* be incredibly rampant if they don't also get removed, due to having no weakness (Yes I know Rayquaza EX from Dragons Exalted was weak to dragon, as well as numerous other dragons)
-Again a huge typing mess could also occur.
-A lot easier for little kids to pick up the game and deck build.

Interesting they didn't let this in the air another year before saying "screw it" and removing it.

Wouldn't this just potentially create a huge mess of Pokemon being in the same type set?
There's a lot of consequences here, as well as some added bonuses.

-Metal Types have absolutely no usage, they can hit SE (Super Effective) against a select few water types.
-Dragon Types *could* be incredibly rampant if they don't also get removed, due to having no weakness (Yes I know Rayquaza EX from Dragons Exalted was weak to dragon, as well as numerous other dragons)
-Again a huge typing mess could also occur.
-A lot easier for little kids to pick up the game and deck build.

Interesting they didn't let this in the air another year before saying "screw it" and removing it.
They redid weaknesses and typing at the same time (Poison is dark now, Fairy is now psychic type so metal hits water and psychic)

Back