Jirachi from Call of Legends (#11) [4/12]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
cotdcopy.png

11-jirachi.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks could it be used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
Okayish at best on its own. 60 HP for an unevolving basic (nevermind the double psychic weakness) is pretty poor, and it doesn't provide anything absolutely game-breaking in today's format with SPs all over the place (which don't rely on evolutions).

It's too weak and too conditional to have a sure slot in any deck, especially considering that the Technical Machine TS-2 Devoluter does the exact same thing, but in trainer form. It's a decent tech against Gyarados, as it gets around Rescue Energy and takes advantage of its crappy 30 HP basic form, but again... Devoluter is the superior choice.

Anything that discards so you can Stardust Dragon Song the energy to it without burning your energy for the turn on it.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
2/5 It shouldn't be completely ignored, as devolving is a nice mechanic. It MIGHT see some play in the next format, but with TS-2 in the current format, I can't see Jirachi being played. If you don't have Devoluter, but need something to devolve with, Jirachi is your only alternative (Omastar MD is too resource-heavy).

5. How's the artwork?
3/5 I preferred the UL (or was it UD?) version.

^Lol at the Yugioh joke.

Jirachi from Call of Legends... I can't seem to find a way to abuse this. Engineer's Adjustments only discards 1 energy. Maybe play a trainer and then Junk Arm to get rid of 2 energy and bring back... something. Professor Juniper from Black and White could work, although you would have to hope that you drew Jirachi. Nope, I can't see any way this card could work.

The Devoluter attack is nice, but the TM works so much better, being a trainer and costing no energy. Honestly though, Devoluter effects aren't as useful in this format. The only thing it really hurts is Gyarados. And Gengar, I guess. After the rotation donk decks will be crazy popular, making this card even more ineffective.

HP is too low, 60 for a basic that doesn't evolve is unimpressive. Psychic weakness is annoying with all the Gengar running around these days, but with 60 HP most stuff one hits it anyway. No Resistance kind of sucks, especially since Jirachi is Metal/Psychic, which means he has lots of resistances (in the video game, at least). 1 retreat isn't too bad, but obviously not as good as 0.

2/5, just overall too weak.

The artwork is ok, but like Wes I prefer the Unleashed version. 2/5.

I like Jirachi and all, but not quite this one...

Not really, no I would have to say that it's not that good at all. HP is too low, 2X weakness, and frankly, not strong at all. So no, it's not worth playing to be directly honest.

Honestly, I can't think of any deck where this would be useful in.

I guess cards that discard things could set up for it's ability, but that song would fall flat I'm afraid.

2/5 like most everyone else said. It's not too useful now and I don't see it getting much play, but hey, I could be wrong.

5. How's the artwork?

Kind of cute actually, but I think they could have done better.

On it's own, Jirachi isn't too great. His power to give him energy is nice, but since you can only de-evolve any one pokemon once, they will normally just be able to re-evolve when their turn starts (which could hurt you if they have a power that does something on the evolution). However, if you used Jirachi early on, you can stall people evolving to a stage 2, or really mess them up if they used a rare candy to evolve.

Not sure about which ones are most popular, but it would be good in spread damage decks (Electivire TR, Mandibuzz BW, Metagross UL, etc.), as you could damage a stage 2, and then de-evolve them for the ko. Also works well with decks that can move energy around (Shaymin UL, Mismagius UL, etc.), as getting more energy on the field can save you an attachment. He will probably just be a tech that only works in very specific situations, but if those situations arise, he could completely change the game.

As just stated, energy spread decks could lead to multiple kos, and de-evolving rare candied Stage 2s will really slow the opponent down. Trainer lock decks might even make it so that it is almost impossible to re-evolve a stage 2 that was rare candied before the lock got up, if the opponent runs little or no stage 1s

3/5. This is a middle of the road rating, because it really depends on your deck build. It will generally be a mid to late game card that can get energy back on the field, and possibly mess up your opponent with the de-evolutions. If you have a spread deck, and can move energy around from pokemon to pokemon, then this could be a very good card, and swing momentum in your favor. If your deck doesn't do any of that, then this card would probably be worthless to you.

5. How's the artwork?

I think this card looks pretty cool. I've never been one to care for artwork all that much, however. For me, it's more about what the card can do. That being said, it's not nearly as cool as some of the legends or full art cards, but still pretty cool looking in it's own right.

Pretty average across the board. Wish it had no retreat cost.

I''m surprised no one mentioned Kyuremgatr. Kyruem's not out yet, but with a couple Glaciates and the focus on rare candy, Jirachi could really punish evolution decks.

Engineer's Adjustment could be a really good one in a format lacking drawpower. Junk Arm would be good too.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can
also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

3/5. I could see this potentially working in Kyuremgatr since there is potential for a lot of passive deaths. The problem is that it's a third tech in a somewhat tech heavy deck. Still, I think it's playable in Kyurem due to high amount of basics.

5. How's the artwork?

I liked the original more. 2/5

This card is pretty good and stands out, and his retreat isn't bad either. I think it's definitely worth being played, however with 60hp and an attack that doesn't do damage it's obvious that it can only run as disruption or a tech but not an attacker....

I think this card can work surprisingly well in lostgar as you hopefully de-evolve their stage 2 pokemon that were evolved through rare candy then on your next turn throw them into the lost zone. Also it can work in scolipede swarm which is showing favor on another site by playing disruption and throwing pokemon (like Vileplume) who would otherwise be a menace back into their hand.

Judge is a good card because after you de-evolve them you can force them back into the deck. also shaymin or energy exchanger to get the energies off jirachi when he's done with them.

3/5 I think it's a great card and deadly at times but it's too easy to counter against ZPS it will almost always do nothing as most of the pokemon are basic. It's ability could be used to restore energy to your other pokemon but FSL and energy retrieval are better and more reliable.

5. How's the artwork?

it's ok nothing too great I forget if it's holo or not they shouldn't have made jirachi look different in my opinion. 3.5/5 if they made jirachi look like he's about to use an attack (such as Doom Desire) it would be better.

Back