Ruling Last-Minute Questions

Dimentio

Ciao!
Just a few last-minute questions to clarify a few things before Nationals comes around.

-Say I had a Gallade with a DRE and a Psychic Energy attached to it, and none of my prizes were flipped previously. I'm up against a Magmortar LvX with no damage. I use Psychic Cut. If I'm correct, I need to flip over 4 Prizes (60 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 - 10), no?

-I use Baton Pass on Furret. It only has a DRE attached to it so it does 30 damage, but I choose to switch my Furret also. I switch to a Ralts and move the DRE to Ralts. Would I then discard the DRE because it cannot be attached to a Basic Pokemon?

-I use Gallade's Sonic Blade against a Baltoy (50HP). It says to put damage counters on the Defending Pokemon until it is 50HP away from being Knocked out, which means I put no damage counters on the Baltoy. Then it states that if I do my opponent switches the active Pokemon with one of their benched Pokemon. Since I put no damage counters on the Pokemon, would it switch, or not?

-Can I use Claydol's Cosmic Power and put up to 2 cards at the bottom of my deck if I have say, 9 cards in my hand?

-Does Unown G stop the damage done from an attack such as Gallade's Sonic Blade or Blaziken (GE)'s Flame Kick?

-I use Blaziken (GE)'s Fire Dance attack and look through my discard pile, but all I see are Scramble, DRE and Multi. Can I attach any of them to any of my Pokemon (If I'm down by prizes)?

-I have two Quagsire (SW) out; one benched and one active and the benched one has 6 damage counters on it. My opponent's active Pokemon has a Multi Energy attached to it, can I use Aqua Healing? If so, could I use the first one to remove 3 damage counters from the benched Quagsire, and then use a Switch and use the second Quagsire's Aqua Healing, thus removing 6 damage counters from one Quagsire?

-DRE says that attacks by the Pokemon it's attached to do 10 less damage to any of your opponent's Pokemon. This means that it still would do 10 damage to each of my opponent's benched Pokemon if my opponent got a tails on the coin flip, correct? And the attack still does 10 less damage to my Pokemon?

Thanks in advance.

-Say I had a Gallade with a DRE and a Psychic Energy attached to it, and none of my prizes were flipped previously. I'm up against a Magmortar LvX with no damage. I use Psychic Cut. If I'm correct, I need to flip over 4 Prizes (60 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 - 10), no?
Correct. That would = 140, reduce the 10, 130, enough to K.O Mag. X.

-I use Baton Pass on Furret. It only has a DRE attached to it so it does 30 damage, but I choose to switch my Furret also. I switch to a Ralts and move the DRE to Ralts. Would I then discard the DRE because it cannot be attached to a Basic Pokemon?
Yes, you would discard DRE since it is no longer attached to an evolved pokemon.

-I use Gallade's Sonic Blade against a Baltoy (50HP). It says to put damage counters on the Defending Pokemon until it is 50HP away from being Knocked out, which means I put no damage counters on the Baltoy. Then it states that if I do my opponent switches the active Pokemon with one of their benched Pokemon. Since I put no damage counters on the Pokemon, would it switch, or not?
Seeing as it is already 50 hp away from being knocked out you cannot put damage counters on it. Meaning, since you DIDN'T, you don't switch.

-Can I use Claydol's Cosmic Power and put up to 2 cards at the bottom of my deck if I have say, 9 cards in my hand?
The only reason I say you CAN, is because my opponent did it to me at Battle Roads and nobody said anything. So I'm guessing that is legal.

-Does Unown G stop the damage done from an attack such as Gallade's Sonic Blade or Blaziken (GE)'s Flame Kick?
It would stop Gallades Sonic Blade, but I don't think it'll stop Blakizens? Not sure, gotta get an offical ruling on that one.

-I use Blaziken (GE)'s Fire Dance attack and look through my discard pile, but all I see are Scramble, DRE and Multi. Can I attach any of them to any of my Pokemon (If I'm down by prizes)?
No you may not. As it says in the text, it only provides every type of every energy while it is in play, and seeing as it is not in play just yet, it does not provide a Fire energy. So you can't.

-I have two Quagsire (SW) out; one benched and one active and the benched one has 6 damage counters on it. My opponent's active Pokemon has a Multi Energy attached to it, can I use Aqua Healing? If so, could I use the first one to remove 3 damage counters from the benched Quagsire, and then use a Switch and use the second Quagsire's Aqua Healing, thus removing 6 damage counters from one Quagsire?
Multi-Energy provides every energy, meaning it does provide a water energy, meaning you can use Quagsires Pokepower. I'm not sure if it's pokepower is Self Referenence though because it just says "Quagsire" not "remove 3 damage counters from one of your quagsire." But isn't that where a Pokebody, not Pokepower would come in?

-DRE says that attacks by the Pokemon it's attached to do 10 less damage to any of your opponent's Pokemon. This means that it still would do 10 damage to each of my opponent's benched Pokemon if my opponent got a tails on the coin flip, correct? And the attack still does 10 less damage to my Pokemon?
Which pokemon are you talking about? ANY damage you do to the defending pokemon or to benched pokemon would reduce by 10 if you have DRE attached. Unless of course it is "placing damage counters" instead of "doing damage."

Hope this helps!

Yes, you would switch baltoy. Technically you are placing zero damage counters which is something you can do in pokemon.

Yes, you can do this because it says the draw until you have six. Since you already have six you don't draw any.

George2FRESH said:
Which pokemon are you talking about? ANY damage you do to the defending pokemon or to benched pokemon would reduce by 10 if you have DRE attached. Unless of course it is "placing damage counters" instead of "doing damage."

Hope this helps!

I'm sorry, there was a typo, I'll alter the scenario to what I meant. MY Empoleon (MD) uses Surf Together and it has one Water Energy and a DRE attached to it. I have a full Bench, so Surf Together would do 90 damage to a Pokemon with no Weakness or Resistance to Empoleon. The second effect of Empoleon's attack says that I flip a coin and if tails, the attack does 10 damage to each of my benched Pokemon. Since DRE says it only affects damage done to my opponent's Pokemon, Surf Together still damages each of my benched Pokemon, correct?

Thanks for replies otherwise.

Spirit Of Mew said:

Yes, you would switch baltoy. Technically you are placing zero damage counters which is something you can do in pokemon.

Okay, you're saying that I would switch, but Geroge2FRESH says I don't switch...so which is the correct ruling?

Thanks also with your replies, Spirit Of Mew. Can anyone confirm about Unown G and Blaziken (GE)'s attack? As well as Quagsire's Power and removing damage from a single Pokemon?

Spirit of Mew: Are you sure that you would switch? Putting Zero damage counters is the same as not putting anything?

As for your question about Empoleon:
If you had a full bench, Surf Together would do 100. 5 Benched Pokemon =].

Yes, Surf Together would still damage your bench since DRE only reduces damage done to your opponent. Not you.

Yes, I had a judge confirm this. If you place zero damage counters it is like attack a pokemon with resistance. Even if the attack does no damage because of the resistance the attack is still legally preformed.

I know some of this has been answered by George and SoM already, but it's easier for me to just reply to the whole thread than try to sort it out.

Aquatrix said:

Correct. And make sure you declare how many prizes you're flipping before you actually flip them. They will be enforcing that strictly at Nationals.

Aquatrix said:

Yes.

Spirit Of Mew said:

Uh...no. Wrong. Sorry. Thanks for playing.

Aquatrix said:

You do not switch. As you noted, it says "if you do". If you don't place any damage counters, you haven't done anything. So the switch doesn't trigger.

Aquatrix said:

George2FRESH said:
The only reason I say you CAN, is because my opponent did it to me at Battle Roads and nobody said anything. So I'm guessing that is legal.

It is legal. Since your hand already exceeds 6 cards, you draw nothing. But it is permissible to place cards on the bottom without being able to draw.

Aquatrix said:

Sonic Blade, yes. Placing counters is an effect done to your Pokemon, which Unown G prevents.

Flame Kick, no. If you read it, it says it "does 80 damage". That's still considered damage, rather than an effect. And of course, Unown G doesn't prevent damage.

Aquatrix said:

No. None of those provide Fire Energy when not in play, so they can't be selected by Fire Dance.

Aquatrix said:
-I have two Quagsire (SW) out; one benched and one active and the benched one has 6 damage counters on it. My opponent's active Pokemon has a Multi Energy attached to it, can I use Aqua Healing?

Yes. Multi counts as all types of Energy -- therefore, your opponent has a Water Energy attached, which satisfies the condition.

Aquatrix said:
If so, could I use the first one to remove 3 damage counters from the benched Quagsire, and then use a Switch and use the second Quagsire's Aqua Healing, thus removing 6 damage counters from one Quagsire?

That you can't do.

Aqua Healing
Once during your turn (before your attack), if Quagsire is your Active Pokemon and the Defending Pokemon has any W Energy attached to it, you may remove 3 damage counters from Quagsire.

The Power mentions its card by name, so it's self-referencing. Each Quagsire can only heal itself.

George2FRESH said:
I'm not sure if it's pokepower is Self Referenence though because it just says "Quagsire" not "remove 3 damage counters from one of your quagsire."

The easy way to tell is to replace the name with "this Pokemon". If it still makes sense, it's a self-reference.

...you may remove 3 damage counters from this Pokemon.

Makes sense to me. It's a self-reference.

Aquatrix said:
MY Empoleon (MD) uses Surf Together and it has one Water Energy and a DRE attached to it. I have a full Bench, so Surf Together would do 90 damage to a Pokemon with no Weakness or Resistance to Empoleon. The second effect of Empoleon's attack says that I flip a coin and if tails, the attack does 10 damage to each of my benched Pokemon. Since DRE says it only affects damage done to my opponent's Pokemon, Surf Together still damages each of my benched Pokemon, correct?

Yes. DRE only reduces damage you deal to your opponent. You still do full damage to yourself.

And while I'm typing the first reply, we get some more misinformation. Yay.

Spirit Of Mew said:
Yes, I had a judge confirm this. If you place zero damage counters it is like attack a pokemon with resistance. Even if the attack does no damage because of the resistance the attack is still legally preformed.

No, it is not. Your judge is wrong.

This exact question is in the Compendium.

Compendium said:
Q. If a Defending Pokemon has 50 HP or less remaining, does Gallade's "Sonic Blade" attack still switch the Defending Pokemon?
A. No. That effect of Sonic Blade only happens if you put 1 or more damage counters on the Defending Pokemon. (DP:Secret Wonders FAQ; Nov 15, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

Like I said, if you don't place any counters, you haven't done anything to warrant triggering the second part.

I knew it! lol you don't switch. I was like "Placing Zero damage counters is the same as placing nothing? That doesn't make sense."

Thanks for clearing that up Kaga.

Just wanted to throw it out there on the empoleon that he places a damage on all of your pokemon. Placing damage counters (gengar's shawdow dance from DP for example) isn't effected by dre (it is effected by cards and effects that say prevent all effects of attacks). Empoleon's dual splash would do 20 to two pokemon with a dre attached.

Chairman Kaga said:
I know some of this has been answered by George and SoM already, but it's easier for me to just reply to the whole thread than try to sort it out.

Aquatrix said:

Yes.

Are you sure? My understanding was that the discarding of the DRE phrase was only to be invoked in the case of devolution. It says clearly it cannot be attached to a basic, so my understanding was you could not choose to attach it as such to gain the effect of discarding it regardless of whether it was from your hand or as the result of a Power or attack.

poleskitty said:
Are you sure? My understanding was that the discarding of the DRE phrase was only to be invoked in the case of devolution. It says clearly it cannot be attached to a basic, so my understanding was you could not choose to attach it as such to gain the effect of discarding it regardless of whether it was from your hand or as the result of a Power or attack.

Positive. This is in the Compendium several times.

You're not attaching it, you're moving it, so it's not an impossible action. But the attachment restriction still applies afterward, so it gets discarded.

Back