Malamar (XY Promo 58) is Banned?! [No]

Latia5TCG

Just new, but experiënced TCG-player
Hey everybody,

I dont know if U have seen this already or not, but since I was not able to find anything on this topic on Pokebeach.com or Pokemon.com I thought to share it anyway.

On the PTCGO, the Malamar promo XY58 is banned due to its ability contrary, that treats every coin flip of your opponent as tails. Which is a overpowered comination with Malamar EX because if you don't play Keldeo EX with a float stone you will run out of switches. Therefor i get why they banned it.

But still, how can this happen, the last card to be banned was slowking 10 years ago and now 2 card in a short time. Are the creators of these cards so blind not to see these overpoweerd combinations?

Get it to getter Pokémon!
1076296.jpg

@Latia5TCG I appreciate your desire to share important news but please don't post it until you've done some fact checking. Here is the post about this from the official PTCGO Forums:

Malamar XY Promo #58 Temporarily Disabled from Online Play in the TCG Online

To prevent exploitation of a bug with Malamar XY Promo #58's Contrary ability, it has been temporarily disabled from play in the Pokémon TCG Online.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused from this action.

The 3 Booster Pack Bundle with Malamar XY Promo #58 will return to the Shop once the bug has been corrected.

We anticipate the bug with the card's Contrary ability to be corrected in a future patch. We do not have specific timing yet as to when that patch will be available. Thank you in advance for your patience.
So the card is not banned, but it has been disabled due to an exploitable glitch. This has happened several times before.

@Latia5TCG I appreciate your desire to share important news but please don't post it until you've done some fact checking. Here is the post about this from the official PTCGO Forums:

Malamar XY Promo #58 Temporarily Disabled from Online Play in the TCG Online

To prevent exploitation of a bug with Malamar XY Promo #58's Contrary ability, it has been temporarily disabled from play in the Pokémon TCG Online.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused from this action.

The 3 Booster Pack Bundle with Malamar XY Promo #58 will return to the Shop once the bug has been corrected.

We anticipate the bug with the card's Contrary ability to be corrected in a future patch. We do not have specific timing yet as to when that patch will be available. Thank you in advance for your patience.
So the card is not banned, but it has been disabled due to an exploitable glitch. This has happened several times before.

Ow okay thanks.
You're right, I didn't know about this that's why there's also a question mark in the title.
I will delete this post soon. And again thank you for this information :)

I never thought this card was overpowered. A healthy amount of pokemon center lady/ lysandre/ switch/ escape rope/ hex maniac all ruin your day :( Fun card if you can weather a resource storm.

I never thought this card was overpowered. A healthy amount of pokemon center lady/ lysandre/ switch/ escape rope/ hex maniac all ruin your day :( Fun card if you can weather a resource storm.

The card isn't. The reason for this disabling is because of a glitch.

The card isn't. The reason for this disabling is because of a glitch.
Thanks, but I read the replies haha! Although when I saw the X on tcgo I did some googleing to find this article. I thought too it may have been banned but couldn't fathom what on earth would make him OP. Fortunately nothing and I can get back to testing my favorite surprise rogue of the new set :) This guys great hehe especially with Birch becoming a staple draw.

Understand that card should only be treating coin flips during their turn as tails unfortunately it is bugged and is treating all coin flips as wells including sleep and burn checks which occur between turns.

Back