Mega Evolutions You'd Like to See in Sun & Moon?

Siren

Aspiring Trainer
What are some mega evolutions you'd like to see in the new sun and moon games? I.e. Flygon perhaps?:p And be sure to be detailed and don't just post a list. What would you want the mega evolution to be like? What type or ability changes would you like? Stats? Maybe even describe how you'd like its appearance.

Last edited:
There are some Pokemon that I'd personally like to see receive Mega Evolutions in Sun and Moon.

1. Flygon
If Mega Salamence resembles a crescent moon, I think Mega Flygon should resemble the sun. They could both work as version-exclusives, just like Tyranitar and Aggron back in X & Y. It should retain the Ground/Dragon Type, but gain an Ability that converts Normal Type attacks into Dragon Type attacks, which could give it a mighty niche over Garchomp.

2. Butterfree
It would only be fair, since Beedrill got one in ORAS. Mega Butterfree is a solid candidate for the new Bug/Psychic Type combo, which will even things out to Mega Beedrill, since both bugs are counterparts to each other. Since Mega Beedrill has a warrior-like feel to it, I think Mega Butterfree should resemble a pretty princess, akin to Mega Diancie.

3. Rhyperior
Since Sun & Moon are going to celebrate Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, it is an ideal time to give a Mega Evolution to the evolved form of one of the earliest Pokemon designed by Game Freak. I think it should become a Ground/Steel Type, and gain Filter as it's Ability. It would surely allow Rhyperior to take hits better without having to fear a 4x weakness to Water and Grass. To support it's good HP, a buff in it's Sp. Def is recommended.

4. Starmie
Since the games will most likely explore a lot about astrology, it would be a great opportunity to incorporate a Mega Evolution to a star-based Pokemon. Starmie's PokeDex entires even imply that it is an otherworldly being. The Psychic Type also seems to be heavily connected with space these days. In my opinion, it should have Regenerator as it's Ability, mainly because starfishes are known to regenerate their bodies in real life.

5. Exeggutor
Since Kanto re-remakes are out of the question, Sun & Moon would be a great time to add additional Kanto Megas. Exeggutor should be no exception to this, since it is one of Blue's strongest Pokemon. Mega Exeggutor should keep it's Chlorophyll Ability and the Grass/Psychic Type combo for diversity reasons. I do think it should learn a Fire Type solar attack to help give it an extra edge against Steel Types.

6. Arcanine
More or less the same reason as Exeggutor. I think Mega Arcanine should adopt the Fire/Dragon Type combo, to boost it's Legendary status. It can also learn Outrage and Dragon Pulse to back it up. It would most likely have all round good bulk, power, and speed. Intimidate is ideal to make it look legitimately threatening.

Last edited:
I have a few that I'd like to see:

Mega Johto starters - if, as some people are speculating, that Alola and Kalos are mirroring Kanto and Johto, I'd like to see Mega Johto starters to compliment the Mega Kanto starters.
As for typings, stats etc I have a few vague ideas:
Typhlosion - Not sure if there's any other types that could really fit it, but as for stats I'm pretty much thinking boosts to speed and special attack, maybe some small buffs in defence. A special version of Moxie would be a good ability for it.

Feraligatr - I think Water/Dragon could be a pretty good choice for this (as well as being the Water starter to be the one which gets a /Dragon Mega to go with Sceptile and Charizard), although I can see Water/Fighting not being too bad of an option either. As far as stats go, I can see it getting buffs in its physical stats, maybe with a small increase in speed. Sheer Force is a good enough ability, but if it did become /Dragon then having a Dragon move with some kind of effect would be really good for it.

Meganium - Grass/Fairy or Grass/Psychic seem like the most logical choices for this. As far as stats go, it should have an increase in Def and Sp.Def, maybe with a small buff to Sp.A. For abilities, Thick Fat (which admittedly doesn't make much sense for it, not to mention already has been done for one of the other Mega Grass starters) would be nice to help it with two of its most common weaknesses, but something like Regenerator or Natural Cure wouldn't be too bad either.

For now, I 'd like to see Mega Lapras, mainly because the region itself is island based and has a lot of water. And Lapras has always been seen as the main transport on water within the game itself.

Mega Luxray is at the top of my list. Make it Electric/Dark, give it Strong Jaw, and then boost its Attack and Speed, then it could be pretty threatening with two Strong Jaw boosted STAB moves (Thunder Fang and Crunch) and two Strong Jaw boosted coverage moves (Fire Fang and Ice Fang). I'll post some more ideas later.

1. Zoroark
Oh, yeah. Zoroark aboslutely deserves a Mega Evo. Maybe becoming Dark/Fairy? It should keep Illusion, though.

2. Froslass
Since Glalie has a Mega Evo, so should Froslass! In the same manner as Gardevoir/Gallade. And give it Refrigerate, like Mega Glalie.

3. Weavile
This would be cool, but I don't know how it should look like, though. :)

4. Lapras
Lapras is one of my all-time favourite Pokémon, so it should get a Mega Evo. Give it Ice Body or Water Absorb.

5. Dunsparce
Dunsparce is probably one of the most forgotten Pokémon, so maybe it should get a Mega Evo this time...? Maybe turn it in to Normal/Dragon or something...!? :cool:

6. Solrock/Lunatone
Well, this should be self-explanatory. Or, is it...!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
2. Froslass
Since Glalie has a Mega Evo, so should Froslass! In the same manner as Gardevoir/Gallade. And give it Refrigerate, like Mega Glalie.

Whilst I definitely agree with this (Froslass being one of my favourite Pokemon of all time), I think it would be a bit more interesting to see it get a Ghost-ilate ability to be a bit more of a counterpart to Glalie (rather than just having the same ability).

Whilst I definitely agree with this (Froslass being one of my favourite Pokemon of all time), I think it would be a bit more interesting to see it get a Ghost-ilate ability to be a bit more of a counterpart to Glalie (rather than just having the same ability).

Yeah, you may be right...!
"Ghost-ilate"? Cool name. Or "Spookilate"/"Hauntilate", maybe? :D

Normal/Bug Porygon-Z

Why Bug? Because Dubious Disc is believed to be pirated software, and that is a major component of P-Z's design. It would also be the greatest pun in history.

I would be fine with literally all of these suggestions except dunsparce I think it should just get a regular evolution. My suggestion is a mega for each of the pollution trio.
Garbodor would be ground poison
Muk would be water poison
Weezing would be flying poison to correspond with what they represent.

I want to use this thread to mention that one of my main problems with Mega Evolution since its inception is that it's "stealing" the opportunity for Pokémon to get normal evos.

Pokémon like Absol deserved a proper evolution before any sort of mega. That being said I understand that some people (including GF) may be inclined to only release "finished" Pokemon and not go back and give things more evos any more.

Regardless, if we get more megas for Pokémon with lacklustre stats who really "have room" for evolution proper idk how I'd feel.

That being said now that Mega Evolution has been introduced I am finding my heart unwilling to accept regular evos for many Pokémon I once wished would evolve because I too feel they are "finished", so idk.

I want to use this thread to mention that one of my main problems with Mega Evolution since its inception is that it's "stealing" the opportunity for Pokémon to get normal evos.

Pokémon like Absol deserved a proper evolution before any sort of mega. That being said I understand that some people (including GF) may be inclined to only release "finished" Pokemon and not go back and give things more evos any more.

Regardless, if we get more megas for Pokémon with lacklustre stats who really "have room" for evolution proper idk how I'd feel.

That being said now that Mega Evolution has been introduced I am finding my heart unwilling to accept regular evos for many Pokémon I once wished would evolve because I too feel they are "finished", so idk.

I respectively disagree with you here, not every Pokemon needs to belong to an evolutionary line. Mega Evolution allows those Pokemon that don't evolve like Pinsir, Absol and Mawile to become the best version of themselves, without being restricted to have to just evolve and turn into an entire different Pokemon, which would leave them in obscurity. No one was using Mawile, and if Mawile got a regular evolution, even if it resembled Mega Mawile in some way, no one would still use Mawile as it literally just got replaced by Mawmawile who you acquire by spinning your 3DS like a top and giving 5000 pokedollars to the Mew under the truck. Mega Mawile, like Mega Absol, Mega Pinsir, and every other Mega is just the same Pokemon as before, but the best version of them that leaves players the option to use the mega stone or not. Megas breathed new life into Pokemon that people had forgotten, and adding a brand new evolution to those lines would still leave those Pokemon in obscurity, forever be forgotten as a not-fully evolved Pokemon.

I'm glad that you are beginning to understand what the creators have always thought and that all of their Pokemon they created, are finished creatures regardless of if they get new evolutions or not in the end, and megas are a way to expand upon those finished creatures without ruining the base form.

Unpopular Opinion: I wish Mega Evolution was restricted to XY/ORAS and just ends with 6th Gen. I've never cared for it as a mechanic, most of the forms are ugly or overcomplicated (or in some cases, downright silly), and despite having a few years to get used to it, it still feels very un-Pokémon-like to me.

I'd like to see Sun/Moon give Johto some more love this time around with mega evolutions. I think a lot of fans, myself included would like to see the Johto starters get their respective Megas.

Also, I think Shuckle would be a really interesting mega evolution, and would fit nicely in Sun/Moon. Pokemon like Kingdra, Skarmory, and Mantine would be pretty cool and fitting as well. In my opinion, one of the best things about mega evolution is that it reconnects you with the past of Pokemon in a fun and exciting new way. I hope to see some of that reconnecting in Sun/Moon.

Last edited:
I respectively disagree with you here, not every Pokemon needs to belong to an evolutionary line. Mega Evolution allows those Pokemon that don't evolve like Pinsir, Absol and Mawile to become the best version of themselves, without being restricted to have to just evolve and turn into an entire different Pokemon, which would leave them in obscurity. No one was using Mawile, and if Mawile got a regular evolution, even if it resembled Mega Mawile in some way, no one would still use Mawile as it literally just got replaced by Mawmawile who you acquire by spinning your 3DS like a top and giving 5000 pokedollars to the Mew under the truck. Mega Mawile, like Mega Absol, Mega Pinsir, and every other Mega is just the same Pokemon as before, but the best version of them that leaves players the option to use the mega stone or not. Megas breathed new life into Pokemon that people had forgotten, and adding a brand new evolution to those lines would still leave those Pokemon in obscurity, forever be forgotten as a not-fully evolved Pokemon.

I'm glad that you are beginning to understand what the creators have always thought and that all of their Pokemon they created, are finished creatures regardless of if they get new evolutions or not in the end, and megas are a way to expand upon those finished creatures without ruining the base form.

I'm gonna disagree with a bit of this.
When Gen IV introduced Pokemon like Togekiss, Yanmega, Mamoswine, etc, I don't think it kept those Pokemon in obscurity - in fact, it pushed a few of them to the forefront cough Eviolite Murkrow, Dusclops, and Porygon2 cough. I'd love to have seen at least Absol, Mawile, and Sableye get regular evolutions before Megas. (God, especially Sableye. I'm still salty over it's horrid Mega design).
On that note, I want Skarmory to get an evolution, then give that evo a Mega. Because Eviolite will always be one of my fave items.

Regular Megas I'd like to see at some point aside from the obvious Flygon, Butterfree, Solrock, etc,include:

Mega Sunflora (or Bellossom honestly)
Grass/Fire
Chlorophyll

Mega Ludicolo
Grass/Water
Some kind of Own Tempo/Magic Bounce combination
(I just want a Ludicolo that Miror B. would be proud of)

Mega Cincinno
Fairy or Normal/Fairy
Celebrate - only viable in non-Singles. If this Pokemon defeats another, it boosts the other Pokemon on it's team's Attack. (That's worded really weird oops. It's like Moxie but it raises your other Pokemon's attack instead of the one who has the ability. And yeah I totally ripped off the Ability name from Conquest)

While I love Mega Evolutions with all my heart, I will not deny that some candidates at least deserved an actual evolution beforehand. (Mawile and Sableye in particular, but since their Megas are actually viable in competitive play, I'm willing to let it slide just this once.)

Banette and Audino on the other hand, are ones I felt like deserved to evolve, since any niche that their Megas could use are oftentimes done better by others in even the lowest tiers competitively, and they will not need to use up the one Mega slot on your team. I like Mega Banette's design, though, but at the same time, I do really wish it had actually evolved to properly contrast Dusknoir, but the damage is practically done, unless I am proven wrong otherwise.

There is really no need for Mega Evolutions to outright replace regular evolutions, unless Game Freak decides to confirm that the Eviolite is indeed holding them back from adding new evolutions on the technical spectrum. This might just be me being a little salty over Sylveon being the only cross-gen evolution in Generation 6, though.

I'm gonna disagree with a bit of this.
When Gen IV introduced Pokemon like Togekiss, Yanmega, Mamoswine, etc, I don't think it kept those Pokemon in obscurity - in fact, it pushed a few of them to the forefront cough Eviolite Murkrow, Dusclops, and Porygon2 cough. I'd love to have seen at least Absol, Mawile, and Sableye get regular evolutions before Megas. (God, especially Sableye. I'm still salty over it's horrid Mega design).
On that note, I want Skarmory to get an evolution, then give that evo a Mega. Because Eviolite will always be one of my fave items.

Regular Megas I'd like to see at some point aside from the obvious Flygon, Butterfree, Solrock, etc,include:

Mega Sunflora (or Bellossom honestly)
Grass/Fire
Chlorophyll

Mega Ludicolo
Grass/Water
Some kind of Own Tempo/Magic Bounce combination
(I just want a Ludicolo that Miror B. would be proud of)

Mega Cincinno
Fairy or Normal/Fairy
Celebrate - only viable in non-Singles. If this Pokemon defeats another, it boosts the other Pokemon on it's team's Attack. (That's worded really weird oops. It's like Moxie but it raises your other Pokemon's attack instead of the one who has the ability. And yeah I totally ripped off the Ability name from Conquest)
Below is my continued thoughts on this subject in the spoiler tags but for not derailing this topic I will actually participate with this post.
I do understand the feeling of wanting some of our favorite Pokemon to continue to get love and attention, but (not to disagree with your disagreeing of disagreement) the reason that Pokemon such as Murkrow, Dusclops and Porygon2 were able to shine was Gen V's introduction of hidden abilities, and new hold items such as the Eviolite. Adding Honchkrow, Dusknoir, and Porygon-Z left Murkrow, Dusclops, and Porygon2 completely behind and outclassed until Gen V politely "fixed" their earlier evolution craze and gave those Pokemon proper ways of being in the spotlight. Exactly what mega evolution has done with Absol, Mawile, Sableye, and others.

I love mega evolutions and what they have done to lift a lot of older Pokemon back into the limelight, and some of my absolute favorite megas are Pokemon like Steelix, Camerupt, and Ampharos. These are Pokemon that people would not be clamoring for more evolutions of since they tend to view Steelix as a full "complete" Pokemon while viewing Absol or Farfetch'd as incomplete and Pokemon that need a main evolution, but they are Pokemon that were unfortunately unusable in competitive battling but now can fit as team centers (especially in trick room).

I would absolutely 100% love a Mega Stunfisk to death. A tankier Electric/Ground with Arena Trap to capture Pokemon and hug it to death with its even more adorbz face

looks like i'm tiptoeing through a heated discussion, so i'll just drop my two cents.

i'm in the camp that wants regular evolutions, but i want mega solrock, lunatone, and bronzong among others.

so yeah. there's a ton more, but those three are the first that come to mind

I no longer know whether I want megas or not. Yes there's been some wasted potential but there are definitely Pokemon that deserve some love but feel complete enough not to 'need' to evolve. I don't know, I like having actual brand new Pokemon over form changes but I don't want something for the sake of it. I'll just accept what I'm given like a good boy.

Back