Ruling Mew EX and Dimension Valley

Wonderboy

Aspiring Trainer
Now that we have the actual English print/wording for Dimension Valley I'd like to know if Mew EX will be able to attack at a discount even if he is copying an attack that does not belong to a psychic pokemon. My belief is that he will not, but I'd love to know for sure.

Scans:

Dimension Valley

Mew EX

Correct. Mew-EX can "borrow" the attacks of any Pokemon in play, but the only attack it has on its own is Replace. Since Dimension Valley changes the attack cost on the "origin" card (provided it's a Psychic Pokemon), Mew-EX would not get to attack for a reduced cost if borrowing the attack of a non-Psychic. However, if it were to copy a Psychic Pokemon's attack while Dimension Valley is in play, it would reduce the cost by one colorless. The same would also apply for Kecleon-PLF's Imittack if the defending Pokemon is Psychic (In this case Imitack could technically be used for zero energy thanks to Color Change, but you would still need the necessary energy minus one colorless to copy anything).

^Update to this ruling.

Apparently when Mew-EX uses the attack of another pokemon in play, it is considered to temporarily gain ownership of that attack. Thus, Mew EX gets the reduced attack costs in all circumstances, not just when it copies Psychic-type pokemon.

Just for clarification, "temporarily gain ownership of that attack" doesn't imply that it "has" the attack, such as the requirements for Round. Rather, because Mew is psychic type, its attacks are psychic type, even when it is borrowing them from other Pokemon.

Back