New guy trying to play competitively

Tmenzz

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone!

I played Pokemon as a kid and only played the TCG a few times, but recently i've started to play again via PTCGO.

So, here's my problem and/or question. I can't seem to win against anyone who plays competitively and that's really disheartening. I would have thought through even bad luck they'd lose a game or two, but i guess not. What can i do to become a better player? I don't have anyone around me that plays who would be willing to teach so i'm off on my own.

Here are two decklists that i'm currently playing with.

Darkrai/Sableye:
8 Pokemon

3 Darkrai
4 Sableye
1 Keldeo EX

40 Trainers

1 Comp Search
2 Crushing Hammer
4 Dark Patch
1 Energy Search
3 Energy Switch
2 Enhanced Hammer
3 Hypnotoxic Lasers
1 Max Potion
3 Catchers
2 Random Receiver
2 Tool Scrapper
4 Ultra ball
1 Colress
3 N
4 Juniper
2 Virbank
2 Dark Claw

12 Dark Energy

Virizion/Mewtwo
9 Pokemon

3 Bouffalant
3 Virizion EX
3 Mewtwo

39 Trainers

2 Bicycle
1 Energy Search
2 Enhanced Hammer
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
1 Max Potion
3 Catchers
1 Scoop Up Cyclone
1 Super Rod
3 Switch
2 Tool Scrapper
3 Ultra Ball
4 N
4 Juniper
3 Skyla
2 Virbank
3 Eviolite

8 Grass Energy
4 DC Energy

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of money on this and don't want it to go to waste. I enjoy the game, but i can't do it forever if i'm always losing. Thank you!

Evolite in my opinion is ok but not really necessary. I would take ou one of them and add a 4th skyla for the draw power. I also notice you dont use Professor Juniper. This card acts like th eOld Professor Oak card that allows you to ditch your hand and draw 7 cards. this s a must have for any deck I would recommend running 3-4 of them. I would take out the other two evolites and a N to add 3 Junipers.

those are some modifications I would make.

I think you should consider adding at least one more Energy Search also and maybe a couple Pokemon Communications for the additional search power. I dont really know what to remove for those tho.

Hope I helped :)

Since more of this is going to be about becoming a better player, I am moving it to New Player Help.

I think part of the problem is you are trying to do too much with a deck. Stick to one strategy so you can get it consistently. While it may seem like you will have less options, you will be able to do what the deck is designed to do and not get cards you don't need.

Overall Darkrai / Sableye is a better deck. I'd change the Catchers to something else because they have been errata'd to require you to flip heads to change their Active Pokemon. Those three spots can go to a Darkrai EX because you want a fourth available since it is your main attacker. The other spots can go to Skyla since Skyla lets you search your deck for any Trainer card.

Crushing Hammer really doesn't have a place in Darkrai. It requires a flip to work. I'd do a more offensive approach by changing those to more Dark Claw.

-3 Catcher
-2 Crushing Hammer
+1 Darkrai EX
+2 Skyla
+2 Dark Claw

xlovedajawax said:
Evolite in my opinion is ok but not really necessary. I would take ou one of them and add a 4th skyla for the draw power. I also notice you dont use Professor Juniper. This card acts like th eOld Professor Oak card that allows you to ditch your hand and draw 7 cards. this s a must have for any deck I would recommend running 3-4 of them. I would take out the other two evolites and a N to add 3 Junipers.

those are some modifications I would make.

I think you should consider adding at least one more Energy Search also and maybe a couple Pokemon Communications for the additional search power. I dont really know what to remove for those tho.

Hope I helped :)

Pokemon Communication is out of the format.

Back