Night March Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Night March Variants. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Night March / Mew Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 15
  • 4 Joltik PHF
  • 4 Lampent PHF
  • 4 Pumpkaboo PHF
  • 3 Mew EX
Trainers: 32
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 2 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 4 Dimension Valley
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy: 8
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 4 Water Energy
Open Spots: 5

Strategy:
The goal of a Night March deck is to use Battle Compressor and other assorted cards to discard your Pokemon with the Night March attack, then use Night March and deal massive damage very quickly. Mew is played to give you a Pokemon with a decent amount of HP, and with Dimension Valley, can also use Night March for 1 Basic Energy, when copying Joltik's attack. The weaknesses of this deck are its low HP attackers, and its reliance on Items, making Seismitoad a large threat. But it's speed and use of non-EXs make it very strong against a large portion of metagame decks.

Good Additions:
  • Empoleon and Archie's Ace in the Hole
  • Swampert and Archie's Ace in the Hole
  • Trainer's Post
  • Hard Charm
  • Teammates
  • Bicycle or Roller Skates
  • Lysandre's Trump Card

Night March / Eevee Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 18
  • 4 Joltik PHF
  • 4 Lampent PHF
  • 4 Pumpkaboo PHF
  • 2 Eevee FFI
  • 2 Leafeon PLF
  • 1 Flareon PLF
Trainers: 28
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Silver Bangle
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy: 8
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 4 Grass Energy
Open Spots: 6

Strategy:
The goal of Night March / Flareon is to use Battle Compressor and other assorted cards to discard your Pokemon with the Night March attack, then use Night March and deal massive damage very quickly. Flareon combos great with the Night March gang, as it deals more damage the more Pokemon you have in your discard pile. Leafeon is a great tool against Seismitoad and other Grass weak Pokemon. Eevee's Energy Evolution ability even makes it easy to set up Leafeon under Item lock. The main problem with this Night March variant is its consistency. With the Eevee line in your deck, getting a quick Night March isn't always that easy. However, this Eeveelution pair can make a lot of your bad match ups much stronger.

Good Additions:
  • Mew EX with or without Dimension Valley
  • Thicker Eevee Line
  • Trainer's Post
  • Acro Bike, Bicycle or Roller Skates
  • Lysandre's Trump Card

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Night March

Yesterday at the League I played against this (i'm running yveltal/toads) and it was a way tougher than I expected. Toad was the real mvp and gave me the win.

Nice to see this get a thread. Maybe if there are tons of Seismitoad EX in your area, I would add another Leafeon and Eevee

I think four Muscle Band/ Bangle is a must, perhaps even five split between the two (2-3 one way or the other). That damage boost can be important, especially when you need a balance between Night Marches in the discard pile and ready to attack. A single Mr. Mime PLF would also make for a "good addition," since (unless you're playing against Garbodor) it blocks damage to the bench. Against Fighting, Joltiks can be easily sniped by Landorus-EX. Also if Primal Kyogre becomes a thing, doing 30 accross the opponent's board could be pretty catastrophic to Night March.

What about the Gourgeist PHF/Celebi EX variant? Is it good against other decks in the format?

bsguedes said:
What about the Gourgeist PHF/Celebi EX variant? Is it good against other decks in the format?

With the increasing amount of yveltal in this format and how long that version takes to set up, I would say there are few advantages it would have against the speed Night March deck. Especially since your main attacker is something you want in the discard you have a deck with conflicting interests and it just complicates things a ton.

Night March

So I've done some play testing of the Mew EX variant of the Night March deck. Its a slightly popular deck online so I'm guessing most will understand how it works, but just in case:

I've had a lot of fun playing this deck and its done pretty well for me so far, unless I'm against Seismitoad EX :p

So would you say this deck has competitive promise, or is it just another troll deck made for a but of fun?

I'm already running this deck with Flareon, but as I'm using Mew EX, its almost pointless for me to run Bangle over Band.

I don't think the Mew EX variant is as good as just Marchers and Flareon. The strength of Night March, I think, is in the prize trade and if your opponent gets any kind of setup then the odds are Mew is going to get knocked out just as easily as Joltik or Pumpkaboo and will give up 2 prizes for it.

The deck I was running had just the marchers, a 2-1/1 line of Flareon and Leafeon (for seismitoad) and Jirachi EX. The big problem with this is that you are totally reliant on your DCE. In most games, if you don't trade 2 for 1 on every turn from about 3 onwards you will lose and you only really get 4 attacks before all your DCE is in the discard. If you're hit by enhanced hammer or you're using Pumpkaboo and your Dimension Valley gets countered it can really mess you up. This was where I really missed Mew EX for his ability to attack for 1 basic energy but I still don't think he's quite worth his place.

I did try running Regigiggas PHF to give Mew access to a stalling tactic but I didn't find it all that helpful.

Maximinn said:
I don't think the Mew EX variant is as good as just Marchers and Flareon. The strength of Night March, I think, is in the prize trade and if your opponent gets any kind of setup then the odds are Mew is going to get knocked out just as easily as Joltik or Pumpkaboo and will give up 2 prizes for it.

The deck I was running had just the marchers, a 2-1/1 line of Flareon and Leafeon (for seismitoad) and Jirachi EX. The big problem with this is that you are totally reliant on your DCE. In most games, if you don't trade 2 for 1 on every turn from about 3 onwards you will lose and you only really get 4 attacks before all your DCE is in the discard. If you're hit by enhanced hammer or you're using Pumpkaboo and your Dimension Valley gets countered it can really mess you up. This was where I really missed Mew EX for his ability to attack for 1 basic energy but I still don't think he's quite worth his place.

I did try running Regigiggas PHF to give Mew access to a stalling tactic but I didn't find it all that helpful.

Yes I know JWittz ran Flareon and Leafeon in a Night March build. I'll run his decklist and see how it goes.

To the people who disagree that Audino BCR isn't needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDDMLEGUCM
While this is just 1 person, this is one very influential and experienced person (JWittz) who knows their way around the game.
If you run Flareon/leafeon night march build (which is the now typical build), you really should run the guy. He's a free guy to the discard, can save a joltik from poison lock, and surprisingly Hip Bump can be clutch in some games.
In addition, older Flareon builds all ran this guy, so with the extra room in Eeveelutions Night March I don't see why you wouldn't want to devote 1-2 spots to Audino.

Elbow said:
To the people who disagree that Audino BCR isn't needed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDDMLEGUCM
While this is just 1 person, this is one very influential and experienced person (JWittz) who knows their way around the game.
If you run Flareon/leafeon night march build (which is the now typical build), you really should run the guy. He's a free guy to the discard, can save a joltik from poison lock, and surprisingly Hip Bump can be clutch in some games.
In addition, older Flareon builds all ran this guy, so with the extra room in Eeveelutions Night March I don't see why you wouldn't want to devote 1-2 spots to Audino.

JWittz isn't as good as he once was and just because one person runs it doesn't mean that it's good. Based off what I'm seen when Night March plays Flareon the emphasis isn't on Flareon but rather the Night Marchers. Audino isn't really useful in any way other than fueling Flareon (you aren't going to be healing because if one of your pokmeon is attacked then it's going to die) and is not really worth the room.

I feel like the non-Eeveelution varient is more consistent and runs better. A Skeleton would be similar, except, obviously, without Eeveelutions. The suggested cards would have to include Latias-EX, as it deals with Pyroar.

TheVoid said:
I feel like the non-Eeveelution varient is more consistent and runs better. A Skeleton would be similar, except, obviously, without Eeveelutions. The suggested cards would have to include Latias-EX, as it deals with Pyroar.

Then the deck would have no answer to Seismitoad, which is just getting more popular right now, IMO. The Eeveelutions don't hinder the deck that much as Leafeon has an answer to Seismitoad and is pretty easy to get out without Items. (Eevee Energy Evo + Grass Energy)

TheVoid said:

I don't think adding 1-2 Latias EX is going to swing the Pyroar matchup, as long as the Pyroar player has secondary attackers that can take out Latias EX. Latias EX' attack only does 70 damage, which means it won't 1HKO Pyroar even with a muscle band. It also requires 3 attachments, including one fire and one psychic, to do that attack. If you play against a Pyroar deck you are probably going to have to knock out 3-4 Pyroar to win... that is just a big ask with Latias EX.

Either you prepare for pyroar and play evolutions or you should just take the bad matchup against pyroar. Playing Latias would just clog up a night march deck and frankly pyroar is not realy popular right now. Right now there are a lot of cards that can OHKO a latias EX, and cards like that are played in almost every deck. In a night march deck you want to be attacking every turn, with latias EX in the deck it makes it more difficult to because you need to attach 3 energy to it for a max of 90 damage with no way to accelrate that energy in a night march deck.

Suck up the bad matchup against Pyroar(which at least in my area, in 30 people, there's only one) in favor of consistency.

Two Flareon gives you a fighting chance.. if you were somehow able to KO a Litleo or two, if a Pyorar or a Litleo is prized, if they have energy issues and so you are able to KO multiple Pyroars with your Flareon because they can't reply. I think that's about the best you are going to get.

It looks like Pyroar might be dying even as we speak, though. M-Manectric is going through the roof and people are consequently moving away from intimidating mane Pyroar. With Primal Groudon, Primal Kygore and M-Gardevoir, it's just going to get harder. Pure Pyroar decks could end up as pure troll decks. Of course it might still get run as a 1-1 or a 2-2 tech... but then your 2 Flareon look a lot lot better.

Back