PTCGO Order of Abilities

Gremioheart

Aspiring Trainer
Good Evening All,
Just a question regarding order of abilities.
The set up is this,
I have 3 CI Gengar on the bench with the Gnawing Curse Ability.
My opponent attaches an Energy card to his S&M Eevee with the ability Energy Evolution.
The ability of the combined Gengar would do 60HP damage to the Eevee, however, it’s ability allows it to evolve so does it get hit for the 60 and get KO’d or does it evolve with 60HP damage?

I believe you resolve all the abilities before you check for Knockout since they are all simultaneous so it doesn't matter the order

From the compendium:

Q. If Eevee only has 10hp left and Frozen City is in play, would it be KO'd before I have a chance to use its "Energy Evolution" ability by attaching a Basic Energy?
A. No, it would not. All triggered effects have to be resolved before checking for KO's, so you would take the +10 damage for Frozen City first, then use Energy Evolution to search your deck. Of course, if you fail the search and Eevee's damage is greater than or equal to its HP, then Eevee is KO'd. (Aug 28, 2014 TPCi Rules Team)

It has 0hp for a short amount of time, but is not Knocked Out unless they fail the search. You cannot choose to have the Eevee be knocked out because knock outs are checked for last.

Nice I have been looking for this ruling for some time, we had a similar situation during pre-release with gengar and miltank. Thanks for this guys!

Back