Phanpy from Call of Legends (#66) [4/14]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
cotdcopy.png

66-phanpy.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. Analyze the stats of the card (HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat cost).
2. Analyze the attacks (and/or Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies) of the card.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. What techs can you use to combat the weak points?
5. How's the artwork?
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

Posts MUST be more than one sentence long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted.

RE: Phanpy from Call of Legends (#51) [4/7]

Mediocre HP for a basic, alright weakness (not against Gyarados), and good resistance for the meta. Awful retreat cost.
Poké-Body is alright, but nothing special. The attack is pretty bad...
You can use it with Donphan to evolve it. That's pretty much it...
Snowpoint Temple and Expert Belt, perhaps, to create a mini-tank. Not a whole lot else, MAYBE Exploud for weakness. But it still would be pretty bad...
5. How's the artwork?
It's actually pretty good. Nice glowy feel around the Phanpy.
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
1.5/5. One should use the other Phanpy instead of this one for Donphan, and if its sole purpose is not to evolve, well, you're doing something wrong.
First!

For a Phanpy the HP is okay.
Its Poke-Body is great especially when against an electric Pokemon.
I can't think of anything other than evolve it.
Using a Black Belt would be a good idea.
5. How's the artwork?
The Ken Sugimori artwork never disappoints me.It looks very cheerful.
I'd say this card deserves a 4/5.The retreat cost is too high for a basic.Other than that this a good card.

This card has a standard hp total of 60 which seems about right for most basic Pokemon than can evolve. It's weakness for a basic Pokemon might cause you problems early on in a game if facing off to a water Pokemon with x2 to water. This Pokemon has a good resistance of -20 to electric which will block quite a few basic attacks from electric Pokemon. The retreat cost seems a little steep for a basic Pokemon if you retreated Phanpy you would sacrifice 2 energy cards to keep his safe.

Not a personal fan of attacks that require a correct toss of the coin to get what you what from the attack so with an attack that already has a base damage and then gives you the chance to add another 10 giving you a total of 30 only down side to this attack is it requires 2 energies with one of them being a fighting energy card. Phanpy has a neat poke-body which reduces damage after applying weaknesses and resistances by 10 which will help reduce damage from water Pokemon and you only need one of any energy type attached to trigger this poke-body.

With Phanpy being able to evolve into Donphan there are some good fighting combos you can use this Phanpy card in if i was to use Donphan in a deck i would probably have at least one copy of this card in the deck.

To counter its x2 weakness to water you could use a "Ruins of Alph" 76/90 from heart gold soul silver and to beat its high retreat cost should you want to retreat use a switch card.

5. How's the artwork?

Looks cute and everyone likes cute right ?

6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You

I would give this 4/5 it has a nice poke-body and attack and the artwork is cute.

[Edit] ignore my comment about "Ruins of Alph" card was clearly thinking of something else

Back