Help Pika-Rom post rotation

Daryl Bauer II

Aspiring Trainer
with Thunder Mountain, Volkner, and electropower rotating out i wonder what i should replace them with in my Pika-rom deck. any ideas?

The main "big add" for PikaRom is Vikavolt V, which won't be played all the time but should be a fairly early target. See the winning decklist for the Atlas POG championships this weekend (in an image in this tweet).

In some ways that deck is already nearly prepped for rotation. PikaRom can't 1HKO anything, and can't 2HKO the big guys, so you have to do something a little different. Vika allows you to slow the other guys down, hopefully, by preventing item plays, while doing just enough damage that PikaRom can then 2HKO afterwards. You'll notice that escape board is nearly gone from the deck - it uses switch nearly exclusively; that's another big loss, note.

While you lose Thunder Mountain, you do keep Tapu Koko Prism Star, so it's still feasible to manage a turn 1 attack by either PikaRom or Vikavolt. The POG winning deck clearly is focused around Vikavolt, given the low number of energy switch options; I'm not sure I fully agree, but it certainly worked well this weekend and I can't really argue with that.

The strategy becomes a bit more "Boss's Orders" focused; instead of trying to wipe out the big VMax, you're going to have to target the Dedenne/Crobat/whatnot on the bench that you can either 1HKO or 2HKO. Eternatus VMax decks are of course forced to bench a lot, so you'll always have softer targets on the bench.

The main "big add" for PikaRom is Vikavolt V, which won't be played all the time but should be a fairly early target. See the winning decklist for the Atlas POG championships this weekend (in an image in this tweet).

In some ways that deck is already nearly prepped for rotation. PikaRom can't 1HKO anything, and can't 2HKO the big guys, so you have to do something a little different. Vika allows you to slow the other guys down, hopefully, by preventing item plays, while doing just enough damage that PikaRom can then 2HKO afterwards. You'll notice that escape board is nearly gone from the deck - it uses switch nearly exclusively; that's another big loss, note.

While you lose Thunder Mountain, you do keep Tapu Koko Prism Star, so it's still feasible to manage a turn 1 attack by either PikaRom or Vikavolt. The POG winning deck clearly is focused around Vikavolt, given the low number of energy switch options; I'm not sure I fully agree, but it certainly worked well this weekend and I can't really argue with that.

The strategy becomes a bit more "Boss's Orders" focused; instead of trying to wipe out the big VMax, you're going to have to target the Dedenne/Crobat/whatnot on the bench that you can either 1HKO or 2HKO. Eternatus VMax decks are of course forced to bench a lot, so you'll always have softer targets on the bench.

i didnt know topo koko prism stays. i thought it left too. thats great. yea looked at the list. i like it, and id like to try that but electropower leaves too so ill have to figure out what to swap for that.

i didnt know topo koko prism stays. i thought it left too. thats great. yea looked at the list. i like it, and id like to try that but electropower leaves too so ill have to figure out what to swap for that.

I mean, there's not really a swap for Electropower. There's not much out there that will let PikaZek do more damage, unfortunately. A few Galarian Zigzagoons?? We'll have to see what the next set brings; given its name, it seems likely that there will be some trainers for Electric types.

Most likely, though, PikaZek will not be a Tier S deck for the current format (TEU-DAA), or even a top few tiers deck. It just doesn't have the damage output, and losing the speed really hurts.

I mean, there's not really a swap for Electropower. There's not much out there that will let PikaZek do more damage, unfortunately. A few Galarian Zigzagoons?? We'll have to see what the next set brings; given its name, it seems likely that there will be some trainers for Electric types.

Most likely, though, PikaZek will not be a Tier S deck for the current format (TEU-DAA), or even a top few tiers deck. It just doesn't have the damage output, and losing the speed really hurts.

i mean i could put in a few Galarian Zigzagoons. i was thinking of splashing one crobat V in there to speed it up so more. cause at this point like you said it cant out damage but it might have to outsmart now.

Back